Did our family see a different Frozen than everyone else?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb5IH57SorQ

Honest trailers on youtube. Sorry to resurrect the thread/repost on a topic, but this a funny version of my feelings on the movie.

LOL, I didn't realize the thread I started was still alive until I logged on this morning to post a link to this video. Priceless.

While I realize it's a joke etc., this trailer pretty much nails the way I felt about the movie when I first posted this thread. :rotfl:

Lmao I love those honest trailer videos. It's funny to watch and nitpick the things they find. Thanks for the refreshing video.

I didn't want to high jack any of the other Frozen threads, so I am wondering if there is anyone else out there who thought it was just mediocre at best?

Took the family, my wife, daughter and son too see it over the holidays. (Daughter is 11 and son is 5). We were all really expecting something great after all the hype and great reviews. We left the theater feeling rather, how can I say, let down? While the movie was somewhat enjoyable, had fantastic visuals and an OK story, it felt more like a made for TV movie to us; including the kids. Funny thing is, our daughter mentioned it first.

Maybe I missed something, but the story was very linear. Locations involved the town, and the instantly made ice castle, and that was pretty much it. Character development was pretty much non existent, and the "evil" sister goes from hiding in her room for a decade and hating herself, to going nuts and building her new life almost instantly. She then re-converts, and everything is OK again.

Not saying it was horrible, but really, I'm let down here, and the wife and kids feel pretty much the same. (I never give my reaction to a film until they do so I don't influence them in any way).

Compared to other recent animated films, such as Tangled which we thought was FANTASTIC in every way, this was so not Disney quality to us it was rather disturbing.

Are we alone here?
Pretty much all of your complaints about Frozen (underdeveloped characters, linear story) could be applied to most Disney animated films. (Do we love Snow White because she's deep or complicated- no, because she's sweet and pretty). That being said (and I do like SW, btw), I don't agree with your criticism. Frozen has more emotional honesty and more artistry than most Disney movies.

I just found this thread, so let me weigh in. While I did enjoy Frozen, it was just not what it could have been. I, like many others, was expecting another Tangled or even Brave, both of which I thought were brilliant! It just didn't hold up to the hype. That being said, I did and still do like the movie...I just didn't LOVE it.

Tangled is one of my all-time favorites...the characters are well-developed, it is very clever, and the music...well, Alan Menken!

My kids love Frozen; I enjoy it. I will watch the movie, sing along with DD3, maybe even meet Anna and Elsa at the World (for my kids). But it will never be as big as (IMHO) the biggies: Beauty and the Beast, Tangled, and Peter Pan. My favs!

Seemed to me like viewers fall into three camps with Frozen. I saw it with my younger siblings and LOVED it. Gave it such rave reviews that my school took our kiddos to see it as a field trip. Several of my fellow teachers thought it fell flat. A couple of them rewatched it and liked it more. I think it was just a little different from what Disney had done before. Lots of quirky characters (Anna and Olaf and Kristoff) and if you don't "get" quirky humor/don't like it, then the movie loses a lot of it's charm.

What I loved about Frozen was that Disney finally got away from puppy love being the same thing as true love. For that matter true love isn't even necessarily romantic. And Disney even made jabs about the idea of a teenage girl getting engaged to a young man she had just met.

I also enjoy all of the music in Frozen.

I want to like Tangled, but I just can't. The story is good, but the music falls flat. It has a feeling that someone genuinely tried really, really hard to put forth good music, but it lacks that sing-along feel that Frozen does.

With that said, when the two are out on the lake and the city releases the lanterns, the music is pretty. I also liked how they went from Mother Knows Best to Rapunzel Knows Best, as it was a great use of a reprise with contrary lyrics. When she does the reprise, the music is quite dynamic and powerful. But... still... the music isn't exactly catchy.

Folks mentioning the "tacked on" villian in Frozen may not know that Elsa was supposed to be the stereotypical Evil Disney Queen that Anna would fight, until the producers heard the song "Let It Go." They rewrote more than half the movie to take it into that direction. That's probably why the movie feels a bit half-baked to some people.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter