Did our family see a different Frozen than everyone else?

rotlex

Is it summer yet?
I didn't want to high jack any of the other Frozen threads, so I am wondering if there is anyone else out there who thought it was just mediocre at best?

Took the family, my wife, daughter and son too see it over the holidays. (Daughter is 11 and son is 5). We were all really expecting something great after all the hype and great reviews. We left the theater feeling rather, how can I say, let down? While the movie was somewhat enjoyable, had fantastic visuals and an OK story, it felt more like a made for TV movie to us; including the kids. Funny thing is, our daughter mentioned it first.

Maybe I missed something, but the story was very linear. Locations involved the town, and the instantly made ice castle, and that was pretty much it. Character development was pretty much non existent, and the "evil" sister goes from hiding in her room for a decade and hating herself, to going nuts and building her new life almost instantly. She then re-converts, and everything is OK again.

Not saying it was horrible, but really, I'm let down here, and the wife and kids feel pretty much the same. (I never give my reaction to a film until they do so I don't influence them in any way).

Compared to other recent animated films, such as Tangled which we thought was FANTASTIC in every way, this was so not Disney quality to us it was rather disturbing.

Are we alone here?

Are we alone here?

No... while in the minority there are plenty of people that don't like it.

What surprises me a bit is that you love Tangled and didn't like this... pretty much all your complaints about Frozen could be applied to Tangled.

Perhaps the style of the music was't to your liking? I know the 1st time I saw Frozen ( I knew nothing about it before seeing it ) the musical style took me by surprise.

No... while in the minority there are plenty of people that don't like it.

What surprises me a bit is that you love Tangled and didn't like this... pretty much all your complaints about Frozen could be applied to Tangled.

Perhaps the style of the music was't to your liking? I know the 1st time I saw Frozen ( I knew nothing about it before seeing it ) the musical style took me by surprise.

Could be, on the musical end of it thing, as I didn't really care for that myself.

Regarding Tangled though; I don't know, for me, it just felt "bigger". Maybe more characters, more story etc. When I look at Tangled VS Frozen, it's kind of like and epic film vs a Saturday morning cartoon. I know, probably sounds odd, but it seemed to have a lot more going for it in terms of characters, locations, story etc. etc.

Could be, on the musical end of it thing, as I didn't really care for that myself.

Regarding Tangled though; I don't know, for me, it just felt "bigger". Maybe more characters, more story etc. When I look at Tangled VS Frozen, it's kind of like and epic film vs a Saturday morning cartoon. I know, probably sounds odd, but it seemed to have a lot more going for it in terms of characters, locations, story etc. etc.

Funny how people react differently.

We loved Tangled... however I feel it was a pretty typical Disney Princess story. Repressed girl rebels, finds her true love, defeats the villain... lives happily ever after.

Frozen certainly took a different path. If anything it mocked the idea of true love and finding a prince to solve all the problems and concentrated on family bonds and accepting who you are.

As far as characters and locations...

Tangled and 2 main characters, a main villain and a sidekick.

Frozen had 3 main characters, a weaker villain and 2 sidekicks.

Tangled mainly took place in the tower and town/castle with a side stop in a bar for a humorous song.

Frozen mainly took place in the ice palace and the town/castle with a side stop with the trolls for a humorous song.

Music...

IMO ...
Tangled had 2 great songs and 1 good one.
Frozen had 3 great songs and several good ones.

To me Frozens animation was spectacular throughout the movie and on par with PIXAR.

Tangled... her hair was fantastic and the lantern scene alone was worth the 3D.

Tangled? Awful. Fortunately I saw it for free on an international flight.

Frozen? Even more awful. Fortunately I saw it on a $2 DVD.

Maybe it has to do with expectations. We saw it the first day it came out not expecting much and were blown away. We absolutely loved everything about it --- the storyline about sisters, love, and acceptance; the Broadway style music; the feel of the locations; gorgeous clothing; and humor. We've gone on to buy the dolls, dresses, and other merchandise, sing the songs all the time, and even see it again in the theater. We were really surprised as I was expecting a knock off of Tangled and felt this stood on its own as an amazing animated film. But I do wonder if what you were expecting to see plays into your theater experience.

I would assume it was pirated. Not cool if that is the case.

Frozen hasn't been pirated yet. At least not a DVD/BluRay quality from a reviewers copy which is how they usually get on the torrents.

I suppose someone that filmed it using a camera could have put it on a DVD and there is that Russian film that Disney is suing that renamed itself to Frozen.

In either case the quality would be horrible which is why I think the PP is just trolling.

Maybe it has to do with expectations. We saw it the first day it came out not expecting much and were blown away. We absolutely loved everything about it --- the storyline about sisters, love, and acceptance; the Broadway style music; the feel of the locations; gorgeous clothing; and humor. We've gone on to buy the dolls, dresses, and other merchandise, sing the songs all the time, and even see it again in the theater. We were really surprised as I was expecting a knock off of Tangled and felt this stood on its own as an amazing animated film. But I do wonder if what you were expecting to see plays into your theater experience.

To me Tangled was just Disney dipping their toes into making the old time musical movies and when it was successful they went all in with Frozen.

Frozen hasn't been pirated yet. At least not a DVD/BluRay quality from a reviewers copy which is how they usually get on the torrents.

I suppose someone that filmed it using a camera could have put it on a DVD and there is that Russian film that Disney is suing that renamed itself to Frozen.

In either case the quality would be horrible which is why I think the PP is just trolling.

Half the films I purchase are hardly solid copies. I'm not after great quality. I just want to see the film and move on. I've seen tons of movies that way, as I'm sure plenty of others have, too.

I will admit that whil eI enjoyed Frozen, it was not as good as I had expected. My main point of dissappointment comes from the music, which, Let it Go aside, was very underwhelming. The lyrics were terrible and kinda baffling. The story though was quite good and unconventional, and the visuals absolutely stunning. I wouldn't rate it as high as Tangled, and that is mainly because of the music.

I wasn't blown away by it, and I don't even remember the music, but I did love the ending in that it wasn't boyfriend/girlfriend love that saved her, but sisterly love. Some parts were predictable (mom and dad die in a shipwreck? shocking!), but some did take me by surprise. They did not do a very good job building up the fiance' as the villain. There was no hint that he wasn't doing all that he did because he loved her. It made me feel like the writers needed to hurry up and wrap up the movie, so QUICK! throw in a villain so they can defeat him and everybody can live happily ever after!

All of that being said, my kids enjoyed it, and that's all that matters.

Half the films I purchase are hardly solid copies. I'm not after great quality. I just want to see the film and move on. I've seen tons of movies that way, as I'm sure plenty of others have, too.

That is stealing, but you probably don't care or have a justification.

I love the movie, but I have seen it twice. I was so excited for it, and after the first viewing my reaction was; "wow, this is really good, but I don't know..." After the second viewing where I could evaluate the whole and it's parts better, I really REALLY liked it.

Go see it a second time. I've found that many who see it twice like it even more after a second viewing.

Absolutely superb movie and the best Disney animated in a while. And I loved Tangled.

With that said, the greatest movie in the world will not appeal to everyone. A giant hit like Frozen is a movie that is liked by a high percentage of people, but never everyone.

I am a big movie buff and like all kinds of movies, but there are some considered great all-time classics that I don't like. C'est la vie!

They did not do a very good job building up the fiance' as the villain. There was no hint that he wasn't doing all that he did because he loved her. It made me feel like the writers needed to hurry up and wrap up the movie, so QUICK! throw in a villain so they can defeat him and everybody can live happily ever after!

This is the actual part DH and I loved about the movie that you didnt see the villian aspect coming. It was a twist that had the entire theater gasp (seriously) and we didnt feel that it was rushed. It was unexpected from your typical "I know what is going to happen" disney story. That was cool. I think its great too that the love aspect is not boy/girl love but family love. I love the music but I am a broadway music kinda girl and have several soundtracks downloaded on my phone.

I will agree that the character development was not there, this is where we felt the movie seemed..... rushed. I feel if they dropped maybe one song or two and focused on the characters a bit more OR if it was a bit longer (15-20 minutes maybe?) and focused on some development that it would go from good to AWESOME.

They did not do a very good job building up the fiance' as the villain. There was no hint that he wasn't doing all that he did because he loved her. It made me feel like the writers needed to hurry up and wrap up the movie, so QUICK! throw in a villain so they can defeat him and everybody can live happily ever after!

That was the whole point! It was a designed sucker punch and a good one at that. Love at first sight turns into a surprise villain when you don't expect it. They intentionally did not want to telegraph or build him as a villain. This is a wonderful twist and a masterful lesson on why "love at first sight" is not a good idea and can even be dangerous. One of the best parts of the story!!

Yeah... there is nothing funner then knowing the twist is coming and listening to the audiences reaction to it.

That was the whole point! It was a designed sucker punch and a good one at that. Love at first sight turns into a surprise villain when you don't expect it. They intentionally did not want to telegraph or build him as a villain. This is a wonderful twist and a masterful lesson on why "love at first sight" is not a good idea and can even be dangerous. One of the best parts of the story!!

Yes, they didn't want to telegraph it, BUT they also have to lay foundation so that when it happens it makes some kind of sense, which I think they missed a tad. You don't want to tip your hand, but subtle clues most people wouldn't pick up on UNTIL the reveal are important for a twist like that.

Maybe I need to see it again, but I recall nothing like that. The only thing wrong with him is that he was "too perfect" and maybe that was supposed to be the tell, but that's a bit of a cynical stance to take in my book.

BrianL said:
Yes, they didn't want to telegraph it, BUT they also have to lay foundation so that when it happens it makes some kind of sense, which I think they missed a tad. You don't want to tip your hand, but subtle clues most people wouldn't pick up on UNTIL the reveal are important for a twist like that.

Maybe I need to see it again, but I recall nothing like that. The only thing wrong with him is that he was "too perfect" and maybe that was supposed to be the tell, but that's a bit of a cynical stance to take in my book.

Yes, see it again. There are a few very subtle hints regarding his position. He is a prince, mentions that he has lots of older brothers (no chance on getting the throne), she puts him in charge. And in one sense he isn't all bad. He is a decent leader who hands out blankets. Perfect setup for what is to come. An act of evil when the opportunity presents itself, otherwise just a gold digger. I think it is perfect as told and a great point to discuss with children. She, nor we, got to know him.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter