Diabetics: Do You Eat Raw Oysters?

MIGrandma

Lives in the middle-of-the-mitten.
I was just watching a food show on the Food Network channel and they were talking about raw oysters, and how diabetics shouldn't eat them. So I did a little research and discovered that raw oysters can have a bacteria called vibrio vulnificus and it can cause chills, fever, nausea, vomiting, etc. etc. and sometimes even death.

When we were in New Orleans I got sick the first night, I was blaming the food I'd eaten at lunch....but after reading more about raw oysters and diabetics it said symptoms can occur 24-48 hours later. I can figure back and it was about 42 hours after I'd eaten four raw oysters that I started feeling sick so maybe my lunch that day wasn't the culprit.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I don't think I'll be eating any raw oysters from now on. :crazy2: Trouble is, they were good! Would love to eat them again, but I don't think it's worth it!

So, if you're a diabetic do you eat raw oysters or avoid them?

As a clinical microbiologist, I can tell you anyone can be susceptible to that bacteria. Don't know why diabetics would be singled out.

Having diabetes has nothing to do with why I have never eaten raw seafood of any kind.

Having diabetes has nothing to do with why I have never eaten raw seafood of any kind.

:thumbsup2 Exactly! In all fairness I haven't eaten any seafood raw or cooked since I was a toddler but raw seafood or any type of meat sounds like a recipe for disaster to me:faint:

My DD is a Type 1 diabetic, and I am guessing it is because vomiting for a diabetic is a nightmare. Not being able to keep anything down causes havoc with your BG, and then there is the whole issue with ketones. I am sure they are thinking if you can stay away from anything that could possibly cause the above mentioned symptoms that for a diabetic can be very dangerous, you should. But I agree, that is not the reason we don't eat them- the smell alone is :sick:

:thumbsup2 Exactly! In all fairness I haven't eaten any seafood raw or cooked since I was a toddler but raw seafood or any type of meat sounds like a recipe for disaster to me:faint:

I eat sushi a lot and have never gotten sick. I also love oysters on the half she'll but haven't had them in a number of years. Bacteria is everywhere.

Yes, I eat raw oysters, but I'm particular about where they have come from, and where I purchased them.

I am Type 2 diabetic and I've never had a problem with any raw seafood (I like saumon tartar, also) or other undercooked meat. Although, to be fair, I don't much like undercooked beef, lamb or pork (and of course not chicken).

I'm not a diabetic, but you'd have to hold a gun on me to get me to eat a raw oyster. Why eat something that looks like it belongs in a kleenex?

As another poster stated, at least with type 1, this type of illness is something to avoid at all costs. It causes havoc with their blood sugars and in fact can send these people to the hospital so they can get their blood sugar under control Very dangerous situation.

I loved raw oysters. That is until one day, when I was working in a physicians office, I saw this poor girl who had eaten one of these little buggers. I have never seen someone that shade of blue/green/gray before in my life. Needless to say, I don't eat them anymore.

Oysters are filters for the water they're in. They suck in water, holding on to all the organisms for consumption, and let the filtered water back out. All the pollutants in our bays and rivers and lakes are consumed by these creatures.

If you're going to eat them, cook them.

I love the little clumps of sea snot with a little Louisiana Red Hot, but I acknowledge that it is a gamble and that one day I may well find myself horking into a bathroom throne with only myself and a dozen raw oysters to blame. :)

I love the little clumps of sea snot with a little Louisiana Red Hot, but I acknowledge that it is a gamble and that one day I may well find myself horking into a bathroom throne with only myself and a dozen raw oysters to blame. :)

You should write the menu disclaimers for seafood restaurants.;)

There is a local story about this that posted today. A guy went fishing and they think he got this bacteria in a sore on his leg by the water of the bay splashing in the cut. (It can come from the eating raw oysters or the water infecting a cut) They said the fact he was a diabetic contributed to his death. Something about it his immune already low due to being diabetic. I had never heard of it and it is weird to read about it this morning and then see this post. Sad story.

There is a local story about this that posted today. A guy went fishing and they think he got this bacteria in a sore on his leg by the water of the bay splashing in the cut. (It can come from the eating raw oysters or the water infecting a cut) They said the fact he was a diabetic contributed to his death. Something about it his immune already low due to being diabetic. I had never heard of it and it is weird to read about it this morning and then see this post. Sad story.

The article I read also mentioned you could get this bacteria in your system from the contaminated water entering a cut/open sore on your body.

I was just watching a food show on the Food Network channel and they were talking about raw oysters, and how diabetics shouldn't eat them. So I did a little research and discovered that raw oysters can have a bacteria called vibrio vulnificus and it can cause chills, fever, nausea, vomiting, etc. etc. and sometimes even death.

When we were in New Orleans I got sick the first night, I was blaming the food I'd eaten at lunch....but after reading more about raw oysters and diabetics it said symptoms can occur 24-48 hours later. I can figure back and it was about 42 hours after I'd eaten four raw oysters that I started feeling sick so maybe my lunch that day wasn't the culprit.

I have no way of knowing for sure, but I don't think I'll be eating any raw oysters from now on. :crazy2: Trouble is, they were good! Would love to eat them again, but I don't think it's worth it!

So, if you're a diabetic do you eat raw oysters or avoid them?

I know someone who died of vibrio vulnificus. While he had some other underlying health issues, this was determined to be the cause of death. While I never ate raw oysters before (or any other raw food), that cured me of ever even wanting to try it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter