• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Designated Survivor

I just got done watching the show. I watched the first 2 seasons of 24 and quit (because I stopped liking Jack) so I don't have any Jack Bauer hangover.

I really liked it! I'm looking forward to more episodes.

I just got done watching the show. I watched the first 2 seasons of 24 and quit (because I stopped liking Jack) so I don't have any Jack Bauer hangover.

I really liked it! I'm looking forward to more episodes.

You really must not have liked Jack. Season 1 and 2 were two of the best 24 seasons!

I never watched 24, but thought this looked interesting. It didn't hold my interest. I don't think I'll watch it again. So far the only new show I've tried and liked was this is us. The rest are just eh.

You really must not have liked Jack. Season 1 and 2 were two of the best 24 seasons!
I *really* liked season 1, but I didn't like the Jack of season 2. At all. I found myself not caring what happens to him so there was no reason to watch.

I *really* liked season 1, but I didn't like the Jack of season 2. At all. I found myself not caring what happens to him so there was no reason to watch.

Yeah, that would make it hard to like the show then. I just liked Jack because he always did what had to be done to save the world. Several times a season. :rotfl2:

I loved this show. I was so enthused, I went to my local library and got Executive Orders and then picked up one at a thrift shop to keep. My son and I are flying to a conference on Tuesday. We're going to read the book together and have our own little book club. The books are huge though.

I like Maggie Q too. I'm more interested in Kal Penn being on the show as Kieffer's speech writer. He actually left being on House, M.D., so he could work for the Bill Clinton Obama administration. (Typo, I have the Clintons on my brain for some reason. ;)) Now, he gets to play at being someone who works with the President, and a critic at that. :upsidedow
Yeah actually we're in the process of rewatching House on Netflix veerrrryyy slowly and we actually said the same thing about Kal Penn :flower1:

Designated Survivor was ok. I never watched 24, and I'm not a huge Keifer fan, but I set it to record the series. See how it goes.

I have finally found someone else who was disappointed in The Good Place. I don't think I laughed once during those first two episodes. I still have Thursday on the DVR so I'll give it a chance.

I didn't really think it was funny. I wasn't sure if it was me, or what. I did set it to record the next episode, but if it doesn't get better, I'm out.

I enjoyed the show but one thing really bothered me. So after the Capital building was bombed, they move him and his family to the White House and he immediately is taken to the secure room. But then a few minutes later, he is walking around outside of the building alone. If everyone else was killed and he is the only one left to be President, wouldn't they keep him in a more secure (secret) environment until they knew more about the bombing? How do they know the White House isn't the next target?

Thank you! That's what we were saying. In a situation like that, they probably would have gotten him to Andrews and out of the area until the area was determined to be secure and safe. The White House is up the road and in spitting distance of the Capitol! They also would not have just moved his family into the WH that quickly, especially since the dead president's belongings were still there. Oh, and the bunker at the WH is not that large and fancy - it's pretty boring, LOL!

We were also annoyed by the fact that there was this bombing, and people were just standing around a bar a couple block away watching it unfold on tv. No big deal. And then trying to diffuse a bomb while people just stood around watching?

I guess they had to take a bit of artistic license because reality would not have made good television.

We watched it and all liked it. The kids are looking forward to this weeks episode.

I didn't like it as much as I wanted to but will probably keep watching as it looks like a rare show that my DH and I could potentially watch together. Like others have mentioned there did seem to be some giant holes in the plot. A couple other things that really bothered me....

1). No offense but his wife was way too attractive for him. He came across as rather meek and not well put together (I.e that hoody he was wearing) and she came across as totally beautiful, smart, and confident. Just totally mismatched.

2) the family breakfast scene. This drives me nuts in most shows. Everyone is sitting around happily enjoying a home cooked breakfast on a workday. No one is screaming, rushing out the door, looking for some list article of clothing or homework. Just so unrealistic. They just seem to have all the time in the world despite having super high power jobs.

3) No one really seemed that upset about what had just happened. The Generals seemed mad & people in the White House looked a little somber but that was it. It just seemed weird.

There are definately plot holes big enough to drive a truck containing bombs through, but it's fantasy not reality.

FWIW, I think that President Kirkman starts out as a nerdy nebbish but will become strong and handsome as part of his transition. That already ditched his glasses ... how did he read the teleprompter? Yet another mystery LOL.

When the promos came out I was reminded of Executive Orders (great book BTW, but I generally like the Jack Ryan Sr. franchise). The plot holes people mentioned here (him being in Washington, taking him to the WH, moving the family in so quickly, defusing the bomb right outside of the tent of FBI agents) all stuck out to me also but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

One thing that bothered me (and I didn't go back to watch, but if someone else wants to...) when his chief of staff from HUD finally got into the WH (another plot hole, I don't see that happening) and she was having the conversation with the media guy or Chief of Staff (shouldn't he have been at the Capitol?), her credential kept disappearing and reappearing. Some shots you could see it hanging around her neck and some you couldn't. Seems a pretty basic continuity problem.

Finally watched it and enjoyed it. As a 24 fan, I didn't have high hopes but was pleasantly surprised. I'm able to suspend belief and ignore the errors (although they do make me chuckle). 24 had to have been one of the more unbelievable shows out there, but I loved it. There would't be much left to watch if I was only looking for shows that were 100% accurate.

On that note, one of my favorite shows for ridiculousness was Quantico. On a training mission: stop and have sex. In the middle of a run with your entire class: stop and have sex. Worked your *** off and are drop dead tired: stop and have sex. I read a bunch of comments on reddit shortly after the show came out from former Quantico graduates and they had hilarious commentary about their training and lack of sex.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter