Deluxe room prices are outrageous!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are apparently in the minority on this thread - we love Deluxe! We stayed at Pop on our arrival night this year and were very happy when we moved to Bay Lake Tower the next day.

DH has a great job and we like to put our money toward necessities throughout the year, but for vacations we go all out - neither of us have any bad or expensive habits, so it's a fun splurge for us every year. He also only gets one week of vacation time, on average, so we make it count (two weeks for the first time ever this year - yay!).

DH upgraded us to a two bedroom suite at BLT for our 10 year anniversary on our last trip and that was the best hotel room we've ever had - the room, the service, the view, the location - perfect. It was so nice coming back for a midday break - I always got a relaxing nap while the kids played in their room or DH took them to the pool. At night we would all gather on the balcony and watch Wishes and I wouldn't trade that for anything. But the selling point for us is being able to walk to MK and avoiding Disney transportation at all costs (we loathe depending on the monorail and buses).

It's all relative - we spend a good deal of time in the hotel and we like to spread out and get away from each other now and then, so Deluxe is perfect for our family. We have friends who can't fathom that we pay so much for our Disney trips, but we can't fathom how they put every penny into their choice of spending. To each their own.

We are apparently in the minority on this thread - we love Deluxe! We stayed at Pop on our arrival night this year and were very happy when we moved to Bay Lake Tower the next day.

DH has a great job and we like to put our money toward necessities throughout the year, but for vacations we go all out - neither of us have any bad or expensive habits, so it's a fun splurge for us every year. He also only gets one week of vacation time, on average, so we make it count (two weeks for the first time ever this year - yay!).

DH upgraded us to a two bedroom suite at BLT for our 10 year anniversary on our last trip and that was the best hotel room we've ever had - the room, the service, the view, the location - perfect. It was so nice coming back for a midday break - I always got a relaxing nap while the kids played in their room or DH took them to the pool. At night we would all gather on the balcony and watch Wishes and I wouldn't trade that for anything. But the selling point for us is being able to walk to MK and avoiding Disney transportation at all costs (we loathe depending on the monorail and buses).

It's all relative - we spend a good deal of time in the hotel and we like to spread out and get away from each other now and then, so Deluxe is perfect for our family. We have friends who can't fathom that we pay so much for our Disney trips, but we can't fathom how they put every penny into their choice of spending. To each their own.

Deluxe is fine. We usually bring 3 -6 guests and stay either in a DVC villa(member-my husband gave me 300 pts. as a gift one year :love:) or deluxe in 2 rooms. Doesn't mean that Disney's prices aren't high and getting higher.

Ain't this the truth. Never tell my family what I spend on anything they don't think anyone deserves delux which is their loss. CONGRATS ON THE NEW BABY IN MAY! I'm a mothersday baby so we tend to go in may to celebrate my bday, mothersday and our aniversay (dh proposed at wdw) all the same week during the flower shower.:goodvibes

Deluxe is fine. We usually bring 3 -6 guests and stay either in a DVC villa(member-my husband gave me 300 pts. as a gift one year :love:) or deluxe in 2 rooms. Doesn't mean that Disney's prices aren't high and getting higher.

I agree! But with minimum wage going up and up, I always expect Disney prices to go up (as well as any other business). It's not fun, but one of those "death and taxes" type of things that I accept and try not to stress over :).

Ain't this the truth. Never tell my family what I spend on anything they don't think anyone deserves delux which is their loss. CONGRATS ON THE NEW BABY IN MAY! I'm a mothersday baby so we tend to go in may to celebrate my bday, mothersday and our aniversay (dh proposed at wdw) all the same week during the flower shower.:goodvibes

Thank you so much! This baby has taken years to conceive, so we are thrilled (and shocked that it wasn't another boy lol!). Mother's Day is 5/12 this year, so it's entirely possible she will be a Mother's Day baby :).

Happy early birthday and anniversary!! :upsidedow

It's just another example of teaching your kids that the rules don't apply to them, which is a big problem in our society. :sad2:
I disagree with that. Its kinda like Vegas in the 60's and 70's...and even now. As another poster stated....being nice to them...and they may be nice back to you. There is nothing wrong with a wink and a nod. I know alot of folks that use the "10.00" "trick" at check in for a preferred room if its available. The girl or guy behind the desk appreciates it and who knows maybe it works. But, honestly..i don't think getting "special" treatment for the preverbal wink and nod is a bad thing to teach your kids...Thats extreme. Everywhere you go in life....a favour goes a long way. Folks like to "take care" of each other. Even at Disney:thumbsup2 I mean gosh...I have even gotten a little special treatment or perk at WDW..I.E. upgrades...Be nice, talk to the check in person, ask where their from...be HUMAN and you may just get some back at you. Only, on a Disney forum...would someone think thats a bad thing.

I completely agree. Stayed at BLT 11-27 and could hardly walk through the Contemporary to get to our room from the monorail because of all the people just "looking" at the resort.

I completely agree. Stayed at BLT 11-27 and could hardly walk through the Contemporary to get to our room from the monorail because of all the people just "looking" at the resort.
Yeah...thats what folks do....they have since about....1971...I like to enjoy wilderness lodge even if I'm not staying there....no crime...no fuss.

I pay those outrageous prices for a Deluxe resort, in no small part because of the pool-- my kids are total water rats. But we save at least a year, ususally more than a year, to be able to afford the Deluxe amenities at the Deluxe resorts.

I would be very unhappy to know that "being nice" was all it took for someone who hadn't paid for it to get the lounge chair my kids,my husband or I were unable to get.

Those outrageous prices I pay for a Deluxe resort include those Deluxe pools. Please continue to be nice. But please use the amenities for which you pay, not those for which I pay. Theft of services is not "nice."

:thumbsup2 Well said!

What does being nice have to do with pool hopping? I wonder if I am "nice" would they allow my family to stay deluxe for the price of a value (which we always stay in).

Not to :stir: but I thought pool hopping was okay at most WDW properties and the ones that don't allow it (like SAB) are specific with wristbands and stuff? I've only ever stayed at deluxe resorts and since we have awesome pools, I've never had the need (or want) to pool hop. But I thought they allowed this at most resorts. Is that not true?

ETA: Nevermind, saw this was already addressed...

Not to :stir: but I thought pool hopping was okay at most WDW properties and the ones that don't allow it (like SAB) are specific with wristbands and stuff? I've only ever stayed at deluxe resorts and since we have awesome pools, I've never had the need (or want) to pool hop. But I thought they allowed this at most resorts. Is that not true?

ETA: Nevermind, saw this was already addressed...
Thats the thing...Alot of folks on here get worked up about it....:eek: but ive, Never seen an issue about it while actually at WDW/DLR
But when im in a pool....i guess i dont worry about who is supposed to be there or not. i mean..who cares. Im having too good of a time to think to my self..."I wonder if that family just came here to swim...."but isnt staying here...oh the horror.
I mean...who lives like that..

Completely agree that the prices are crazy. This year we're renting DVC pts, otherwise we'd never even consider staying deluxe. After pricing out 8 nights at POR, I realized we could rent DVC pts for less money, that's even with the current 25% room discount offer!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

please excuse my ignorance,but is renting points ,much more economical than paying Disney prices?

can you still have dining plan when renting points? :)

married2mm said:
please excuse my ignorance,but is renting points ,much more economical than paying Disney prices?

can you still have dining plan when renting points? :)

Yes and yes!!

Some people are uncomfortable with renting because you need to trust the person (stranger) who you are renting from. You pay them for their points and they make the reservation for you. They have control of the entire reservation.

That being said. A lot of people do it and there have been few problems. It is important to do your homework when choosing a renter, as there were a few (very few) scammers over the years.

I disagree with that. Its kinda like Vegas in the 60's and 70's...and even now. As another poster stated....being nice to them...and they may be nice back to you. There is nothing wrong with a wink and a nod. I know alot of folks that use the "10.00" "trick" at check in for a preferred room if its available. The girl or guy behind the desk appreciates it and who knows maybe it works. But, honestly..i don't think getting "special" treatment for the preverbal wink and nod is a bad thing to teach your kids...Thats extreme. Everywhere you go in life....a favour goes a long way. Folks like to "take care" of each other. Even at Disney:thumbsup2 I mean gosh...I have even gotten a little special treatment or perk at WDW..I.E. upgrades...Be nice, talk to the check in person, ask where their from...be HUMAN and you may just get some back at you. Only, on a Disney forum...would someone think thats a bad thing.

I guess the difference is that there is no rule against getting an upgrade. If that is given to you, than wonderful.

My point is, even my 6 and 8 year old can read...and they would call me on swimming in a pool of a hotel we aren't staying at. Even they understand this concept, because i teach my kids that the rule is rule. The PP that I addressed stated that it is ok to break the rules. In a forum where people come to learn and plan for a trip, giving out faulty information is not "nice".

And perhaps that PP does go and speak with a CM and get "permission" to swim in another pool...but chances??? And most pool hoppers do not.

Anyway, I will continue following the rule, and lead by example for my children.

ETA, and for anyone who would like to know what the "rule" actually is, please refer to the following... http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2450438

We are looking into going in December. I think for the first time of all my trips to WDW I am going to rent points to OKW. After I'm done paying for the rental, dining plan, and hopper passes it cheaper then then staying at pop. I have a hard time justifying paying the prices for a Moderate anymore...it's getting out of hand!!

Can we please drop the pool hopping discussion. That's not what this thread is about. Pool hopping is a hot button topic on the DIS that gets threads closed. If you want to thinnk about rehashing it, try searching fora thread onth topic. There have been many....

Deluxe pricing is out of control. We love staying at what I call "moderate deluxes", i.e., The Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom. Lately, I won't even do that. We do 10 night stays each year, and it has crept up more and more it seems. Our 10 night trip, 4 people, this year is costing us $3200 without food for a moderate. The SAME trip at WL would be almost $4600. That's just stupid. Don't get me started on the other deluxes. For $400 plus a night I can stay in a suite that will blow any of them away, any where else.

However, with all that said, if the people keep paying it, they'll keep charging it....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter