Delta Skymiles question

Rootskate

<font color=red>Oh what I wouldn't give for a Zagn
Does anyone know if it costs anything to join the Delta Skymiles program? I looked into it on their website but it doesnt specify. Thanks, Donna

Yep, free, absolutely free. Get a SkyMiles number for everyone in the family. It will also give you the ability to check in on-line before heading to the airport, unless you have checked bags. It will work on both Song and Delta, and remember that you get a 1,000 mile premium currently for flights booked on-line.

We just tried to use our Delta miles last week and it was impossible! We have miles but they won't let you use them. For example: To get to Orlando from our home town would take two stops, but we want the non-stop. Oh sorry...your miles can't be used on that flight! CRAZY! We have called and emailed our complaint to Delta...they don't care.

Best of luck to you! Delta might work for you even though it didn't work for us.

:mickeybar

I've never had a problem using skymiles....but I book a long way in advance, since they do have a limit to the number of "free" seats on any given flight.

Tinker Belle said:
We just tried to use our Delta miles last week and it was impossible! We have miles but they won't let you use them. For example: To get to Orlando from our home town would take two stops, but we want the non-stop. Oh sorry...your miles can't be used on that flight! CRAZY! We have called and emailed our complaint to Delta...they don't care.

Best of luck to you! Delta might work for you even though it didn't work for us.

:mickeybar

A typical problem with all airline programs. They claim the issue is a combo of capacity control on upgrade and demand for upgrades.

I never understand this on Song as it's Delta's low fare airline with cheap fares compared to mainline Delta, they fly larger planes (757's with 199 seats), and have many flights per day, but from BOS to MCO they seldom release inventory for Sky Rewards (25K) but always have Sky Choice (50K) available. As I'm Platinum Medallion, I always email customer service to complain and they always free up three or four seats for awards "as an accomodation just this one time". Given the BOS to ATL to MCO flight option costs about $450 and Song direct goes for $150, I can't see why Delta is so cheap on putting inventory into the Skymiles reward system - especially when you can look at the seats available and see the plane is near unsold at the six month ahead point. Maybe Delta's new fare structure with no Saturday restrictions will change things.

It's the same with United from BOS to the west coast - lots of direct flights, but seldom do these have frequent flyer reward seats (except for the red-eye flights). The usually flights available are through ORD with a plane change.

Oh my. I had the same problem last night. I am trying to use our sky miles, first time in 6 years, to book a family of four from Maine to MCO in August. Nothing avail. Oh yeah, on our depature date they did find 1 option, riding in 3 planes, and the trip would take 12 hours. We even tried to find options out of Manchester NH and Boston, MA. Basically, we were so angry, I wrote a letter today to Delta expressing my disloyalty and disgust over this program. I will let you know if I hear back. Thanks. Donna in Maine

mainelyj said:
Oh my. I had the same problem last night. I am trying to use our sky miles, first time in 6 years, to book a family of four from Maine to MCO in August. Nothing avail. Oh yeah, on our depature date they did find 1 option, riding in 3 planes, and the trip would take 12 hours. We even tried to find options out of Manchester NH and Boston, MA. Basically, we were so angry, I wrote a letter today to Delta expressing my disloyalty and disgust over this program. I will let you know if I hear back. Thanks. Donna in Maine

I had the same problem. Trying to book a flight from EWR to MCO since last October for July 2005. I finally gave up and booked one on Song (had a ticket I had to cancel from Xmas), wound up paying $10 (original tix was for Texas) and now the tixs are even cheaper than when I booked. Grrrrrr!

I had no problem using my skymiles to purchase 2 R/T tix on Song from BDL - MCO (10/23 - 10/29). It's all about planning; call at the 330 day timeframe and you should be all set. Reserve your departure first and then call back the appropriate number of days later for the return portion of your trip. It does work if you can use this criteria. I do understand though that some folks don't
know if they're traveling that far in advance. :cool:

If you want easy redemtion stick to SW. Otherwise.... you get to play the game. Basically prime seats go FAST and Orlando is a prime destination. Doesn't matter which airline you use. (Actually from what I read DL is not as bad as some, AA used to have an especially bad rep).

Same problem here finding seats to Orlando. Plenty available if we want to spend 50K miles (which we don't have anyway.) We've been able to use them in the past though, flying into Jacksonville instead of Orlando (we have family there).

Can Skymiles be used for anything other than free airline seats? I almost wish they could be used for car rentals, hotels, something that might be easier to book.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter