Delta seat change

Pooh2

Dis Veteran
Just checked our tickets for an upcoming flight. The time and seats had changed. Is it customary for delta to send an email or text about such changes? We did not receive anything. Checked our frequent flyer info; phone and email are current.

Delta should have sent an email about the departure time changing, but they will never tell you about a seat change.

Delta should have sent an email about the departure time changing, but they will never tell you about a seat change.

I had both happen and no email for either. And yes, all of my contact info was correct and in place.
I bought the tickets back in April, paid for Delta Comfort seat in because we want what we want. The plane changed sometime in July, and in the process went to a different seating configuration. Delta put us in new seats which were not even close to what we had purchased and selected. No email was sent, I only noticed because I was checking.
Then a week or so ago the flight departure changed - it was minor (only about 20 minutes) but again, no email, nothing. Had it not been for another thoughtful poster here on the board I wouldn't have noticed until I checked in.

My flights to & from MCO changed for my November trip. I got both an email and a text from Delta.

My flight for November changed and I got an alert on my app, which in turn sent an alert to my smart watch
I've never had a change that didn't send me an alert on the app. Can't remember if I got emails too or not

You can't assume you will get an email. So check often. Changing the seat means the actual plane slated for your flight changed.

I've never received an alert via the Delta app of a flight change unless it is day of flight. I usually receive an email alert of a time change, but not 100% of the time. And my info is also current, and my app is set to send notifications.

But because there have been a few times when there was NO alert, I check my flights on a regular basis to make sure that the time/seat assignments haven't changed without warning.

I've never had Delta alert me to any changes unless it was within 24 hrs. I always got in the habit of checking my reservations once a month until I was about 45 days from travel. Then I checked weekly. Once I got to 2 weeks out, it was daily.

Sometimes I've been notified of changes (even if it's only a 5 minute difference), other times I haven't. I wouldn't count on being notified.

Thanks for the responses.
Guess I better keep a closer eye on such things, just assumed we would have been notified!

If you are unhappy with the time change, I've found that you can typically get them to change you to another flight at no additional charge. We were even able to change airports once do to a time change that was made after we purchased our tickets. It really worked out in our favor. I think this applies to most airlines.

If you were not given comparable seats in the change, I would call and talk to them about a refund or price adjustment for your seat purchase. It never hurts to ask.

I've had my seat change right as I was boarding on Delta. The agent scanned my boarding pass and out popped a seat change slip. I was alone traveling on business so I guess I was an easy target. Typically an equal seat (aisle for aisle) but one time I got put into a bulkhead seat, which I hate.

Wonder if there are different levels of notification you can turn on for the app? I need to check. Because it always alerts me. It even alerted me when DDs flight changed last month, since I had booked the flight for her

ETA- Sure enough, there are different levels of notification on the app. I found them under My Profile.
There are 3 different types of notifications.

If you are unhappy with the time change, I've found that you can typically get them to change you to another flight at no additional charge. We were even able to change airports once do to a time change that was made after we purchased our tickets. It really worked out in our favor. I think this applies to most airlines.

If you were not given comparable seats in the change, I would call and talk to them about a refund or price adjustment for your seat purchase. It never hurts to ask.
Yep, I got a notice a couple weeks ago about our flight change. I mulled over what I wanted to do, keep that or switch and finally decided I had to switch. Our change put us landing at 12:30 AM and DGD has school that day, not to mention I have work, though I can stiffen up and manage on a few hours sleep. I ended up moving to a flight that leaves only 1 hour earlier but lands at 10:30 PM instead. Much better. And no cost.

Another time DH and I were leaving Epcot for the airport when we got notice of a flight change that made us miss our connection and would leave us overnight in an airport. I called Delta and had them put us on a flight that left Orlando the next morning so we spent the night in Orlando instead of an airport half way home. Again, no problems and no charges. And we got an extra night at Disney. Win-win.

I think most airlines have a certain time limit the change needs to be before you get a "free" change. I'm pretty sure Delta's is an hour (in either departure or arrival time).

There are 3 different types of notifications.
I see "Before you Fly", "Last Minute Updates", and "Your Flight Reminders". According to the description for "Before you fly":
Keep informed about any changes to your flight, from 2 months out to 2 days before your trip.

That's been checked for me and as I said, sometimes I get notified, sometimes I don't.

I think most airlines have a certain time limit the change needs to be before you get a "free" change. I'm pretty sure Delta's is an hour (in either departure or arrival time).
I saw that and called even though our change was less than an hour. They didn't have any problems making the change for me.
I would have booked the flight we are on in the first place but it was more expensive so I went with the later flight, knowing it was pushing things for how late it landed. When they changed the time it put it over the edge so I figured, why not ask for the earlier flight. Worked out for me in the end

I see "Before you Fly", "Last Minute Updates", and "Your Flight Reminders". According to the description for "Before you fly":

That's been checked for me and as I said, sometimes I get notified, sometimes I don't.
No idea then, It was my best guess as to why it's working for some and not others.

I've had my seat change right as I was boarding on Delta. The agent scanned my boarding pass and out popped a seat change slip. I was alone traveling on business so I guess I was an easy target. Typically an equal seat (aisle for aisle) but one time I got put into a bulkhead seat, which I hate.

This happens a lot on legacy airlines I think. It reminds me of What happened to me last June as I was flying home from KC to PHL on Delta with a short connection in MSP.

I checked in for my flight and my pre-paid for Comfort + seat was assigned as had been selected when I booked. A few hours later I got a seat change notification via the app on my work phone. I looked and saw I had been changed to "seat assigned at gate". Normally when I'm flying non-stop I don't care but with a short connection I wanted to be close to the frontb and i wasn't going to be at KCI until about an hour before the flight. So I called their customer service and got a new comfort + seat assigned then to be safe.

Next day get to the airport and as I'm in line to board, a tall man behind me tells me he was looking over my shoulder at my phone (had my boarding pass displayed) and notices we were assigned to the same seat. So we both approach the gate agent and show her and she asks me to scan mine. Green light, told to board. The guy behind me had it light up red and she asked him to come to the podium to sort it out. He was the LAST person onto the plane and was in the very back. I have no idea how it got so screwed up and there were other open comfort + seats so I'm not sure why they put him in the back.

Long way of saying the notifications are obviously hit or miss. If I got assigned to that guy's seat he should have gotten a notification of his seat change and likely didn't.

I have had all three app notifications turned on since I originally downloaded the app. I usually check after it updates to make sure I'm still subscribed to those updates b/c I've had apps change settings sometimes when they update. I never get a notification via app unless it is day of flight.

-shrugs- Have to love technology!

I have had multiple time changes and one seat change and have never received an alert of any form. I log into the Delta site every few days and make sure it's still set. Keep an eye on flight numbers too...my departure from MCO changed once and I didnt realize for a while.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter