• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Define Pixie Dust

Pixie Dust to me has less to do with Disney per se as it does with the blind allegiance to any brand regardless of rationality or experience.

Mercedes has pixie dusters, as does Coca Cola, or Apple, or (insert your brand addiction here). Brand preference is rational; blindly defending a brand in the face of any and all counter-preference is pixie dust.

Mercedes has pixie dusters, as does Coca Cola, or Apple, or (insert your brand addiction here).
I'll insert "Harley Davidson". Though I'm not sure I would walk up to a Harley rider and tell him (or her) that s/he was a "pixie duster". :crutches:

I'll insert "Harley Davidson". Though I'm not sure I would walk up to a Harley rider and tell him (or her) that s/he was a "pixie duster". :crutches:
True, but since I've never seen anyone with a Mercedes tattoo, they might react the same way, if I called them that:D

I totally agree. I said in another thread that Disney has created a weird Stockholm like syndrome due to very strong marketing.

I too find that what many people call magic or pixie dust-remembering names, upgrades, etc. can be found elsewhere.

For those who talk of the nostalgia, to me, that's people being emotionally invested in the brand and those people are willing to pay for that brand.
Yep yep yep. I won't complain. Disney's marketing machine and the hype they generate are great for our stock portfolio. Go get 'em, Mickey! Come on retirement!

I just find the repetition of those key words by the fans fascinating. Programming received. It's all very interesting to me.

This is the only one I saw here and it was referring to me.

AKK
No, I did use it, deliberately. I have been accused in the past of "drinking the Kool-Aid' by many a person. Never run across you before, Tonka's Skipper, so no, it could not have been directed at you. I hope this clears up the situation.

Well, to be fair, this simply means that you are not a member of the cult. But "taking over one's life"; "where one lives"; "what kind of job one has"; and "what thoughts you have" definitely describes a lot of hard corp Disney fans. So if that is the definition of "cult" that you choose to use, while you might not fit the description, many other people do. The point being that not everyone who loves Disney is a "member of a cult". But some people who love Disney definitely follow irrational, cult-like behavior. It might be a very small percentage. But the concept of "an irrational love for Disney that is all-consuming in one's life" is a concept that definitely exists in the real world.

Watch the Documentary on HBO called Going Clear. It is about Scientology, which is a cult and tell me that is like what Disney does. When I mean that a cult takes over a life, it is that the cult dictates every behavior, and does not allow for independent thought or being able to walk away when disillusioned. Most cults isolate you from family members who don't believe in the same things that they do. Disney encourages family participation, cults only allow you family if they are members also. The outside family of a cult member is demonized and even if a member has contact with their family it is controlled when they meet, where they meet and how long. Some cults threaten members that if they leave they will either be killed or blackmailed. The reason Katie Holmes needed her family to help her leave Tom Cruise with her daughter is because Scientology is powerful and will commit their legal team to hold onto the children. Look at how Nicole Kidman's children that she adopted with Tom Cruise talk about her with the press. They make her out to be a bad parent while saying nothing about their father.

Fanatical behavior is rampant in our society. People are fanatical about Football, Baseball, Motorcycles, Actors, cars, Lego, political parties and Disney. Fans of these things can be absolute and not want to hear about negative things others say about them, but it isn't a cult.

No, I did use it, deliberately. I have been accused in the past of "drinking the Kool-Aid' by many a person. Never run across you before, Tonka's Skipper, so no, it could not have been directed at you. I hope this clears up the situation.

Sir I never saw your post, nothing from my end to clear up. The other party addressed me directly using that term and I consider it an insult and asked him to not address me in that manner.

AKK

Watch the Documentary on HBO called Going Clear.
Seen it. It is about "a" cult. It is not about the definition of "all" cults. If Scientology is to be used as the litmus test for what is and what is not a cult, then there are probably a total of around 2 or 3 cults in the world.

Here is a common definition. See if you find Disney fanaticism anywhere in there:
a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
"a cult of personality surrounding the leaders"
synonyms: obsession with, fixation on, mania for, passion for, idolization of, devotion to, worship of, veneration of
"the cult of eternal youth in Hollywood"

I'll come out and say it - I really hate the phrase "pixie dust" when used in reference to Disney service or the Disney brand. Some folks will use the phrase tongue-in-cheek, or with some measure of wit. That's totally cool. But some people really seem to take this "pixie dust" thing in earnest, and that creeps me out a little bit.

Disney is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, media conglomerates in the world (Comcast might be #1). Disney excels at social engineering, brand positioning, behavioral economics, etc. They literally have this down to a science. They have hundreds if not thousands of people specifically employed to play at our heartstrings, bombard us with marketing, appeal to our nostalgia and convince us that what they do is "magical" and cannot be duplicated anywhere else. While I firmly believe that there are many many Disney employees who truly want to make something fun for fun's sake, at a corporate level, Disney is totally playing us. However, they do it so well, I find that I don't mind.

To wit, I do have a story (which some of you have already heard) about something DCL did on our first cruise that literally no other cruise line could have done:

Me, my wife and our three kids (11, 6, 3) took our first cruise ever on the Dream for a 5-night Bahamian itinerary. We were totally the target market for DCL - first-time cruisers with young children and enough disposable income to afford the fares. The ship, as we all know, is huge and beautiful and elegant and all that stuff. We were having a great time with the kids' clubs, the AquaDuck, the schmancy MDRs, etc.

However, during one sea day, the five of us were on the promenade on Deck 4 fore, looking at the ocean and trying to figure out how to play shuffleboard. We really weren't aware of the time, so we did not know it was time for the big princess meet-n-greet in the Atrium. So as we are just hanging out, out of the fore alcove comes a huge line of princesses - Cinderella, Snow White, Aurora, Tiana, etc. My 6-y.o. daughter's eyes almost popped out of their sockets. There were really no other guests in the vicinity so there weren't people running up to the princesses. It was really just them, their handlers and us. Now, the handlers could have just kept shepherding the princesses toward the atrium, and the princesses themselves could have just passed by with a smile toward us, but instead, they stopped and talked to all of us, but specifically toward my daughter. I thought her head was going to explode.

It was not very long; maybe 2-3 minutes tops. But it was enough for all of them to say something to my little girl - "What's your name?", "Aren't you beautiful?", "where are you from?", "Are these your brothers?", "Please make sure you come inside and see us." The usual pablum. But the fact that they stopped when they didn't have to, and literally made my daughter's day/week/month, was worth the fare premium right there.

Now, could another cruise ship delight my little girl if the cruise line had access to several beloved princesses from TV and film? Of course they could. But they don't have Disney's brand or Disney's intellectual property that Disney has spent literally billions on to ingrain itself into society and become part of that zeitgeist. Not many companies have been able to do that, and certainly not to the extent and success of Disney.

So, yeah, right then and there on the Dream in June of 2012, there was that "pixie dust" (groan) that literally no one other than Disney could have given my little girl. Perhaps more accurate to say "it was a unique experience that could only be given by Disney based on the popularity, strength and pervasiveness of their brand and their IP," but still.

Last edited:
Disney is one of the biggest, if not the biggest, media conglomerates in the world (Comcast might be #1). Disney excels at social engineering, brand positioning, behavioral economics, etc. They literally have this down to a science. They have hundreds if not thousands of people specifically employed to play at our heartstrings, bombard us with marketing, appeal to our nostalgia and convince us that what they do is "magical" and cannot be duplicated anywhere else. While I firmly believe that there are many many Disney employees who truly want to make something fun for fun's sake, at a corporate level, Disney is totally playing us. However, they do it so well, I find that I don't mind.

Thank you! People think that Disney is run by...

latest

When in reality, it is run by....

MontyBurns.jpg

But they do a very good job and I like the product. So I keep buying it.

And great story about the Princesses. It is stuff like that that makes people brand-loyal.

I wanted to share an moving example but as I clicked through the pages, I wasn't sure we were still talking about Pixie dust...
anyway,
...grab your Kleenex:
My adult daughter and niece planned a cruise to celebrate my niece's one year remission following a bone marrow transplant for AML. During the difficult medical treatments both my daughter and I shared cruise stories enhancing the excitement and planning! The FE holder and crafting offered hours of fun escape!

About a month before the cruise I wrote DCL and asked for them to spread some Pixie dust on my daughter and niece.

Devastatingly, my niece relapsed just 10 days before the cruise. I again wrote DCL to let them know they were not going to cruise. A short while later, a DCL box arrived for my niece and daughter including some DCL caps, a signed Mickey and Minnie portrait and a few other goodies. It was an incredible experience to have the missed cruise acknowledged. Another box arrived from one member of the FE group with their FE gifts...very very moving

sadly, my niece passed away in January before ever getting to go on DCL (she was 21) but the hope of a cruise was on her mind until she entered hospice.
That's pixie dust!

A short while later, a DCL box arrived for my niece and daughter including some DCL caps, a signed Mickey and Mini portrait and a few other goodies. It was an incredible experience to have the missed cruise acknowledged. Another box arrived from one member of the FE group with their FE gifts...very very moving

Awesome!!

sadly, my niece passed away in January before ever getting to go on DCL (she was 21) but the hope of a cruise was on her mind until she entered hospice.
That's pixie dust!
:littleangel: Sorry for your loss, but so glad that she had some hope and joy to the end.

And great story about the Princesses. It is stuff like that that makes people brand-loyal.

Yes, it was almost as if somebody in a control booth somewhere was tracking us and made sure DCL got its meathooks in us both deep and early.

For me "pixie dust" is anything that really makes your time there stand out and the memories extra special. For each person, that is something different. Can this be found elsewhere-absolutely! But since I equate the term pixie dust to Peter Pan and therefore to Disney, that is the name I like for those special experiences I have with Disney.

Seen it. It is about "a" cult. It is not about the definition of "all" cults. If Scientology is to be used as the litmus test for what is and what is not a cult, then there are probably a total of around 2 or 3 cults in the world.

Here is a common definition. See if you find Disney fanaticism anywhere in there:

That documentary shows how a cult works. I haven't kept up with how many cults there are, but I would say there are more than twenty world wide. Most keep low profiles. There was even a Seinfeld episode that dealt with a cult. The episode when George wanted his carpet cleaned because he wanted the cult to ask him to join. The joke was the cult didn't want him. There was a cult that did that, it was called COBU...(Church Of Bible Understanding). When I was seventeen I was approached by them at a train station. Fanatical behavior and cult behavior are similar but there are differences. In those differences, Disney is not a cult.

For us we have had many small pixie dust moments. Just having Fitz twice as our head server was incredible. He had a way with people and just seemed to be able make everyone at the table feel special.

The best pixie dust moment I witnessed was actually from a guest to a guest. When we were on the inaugural Hawaii cruise a guest put together a very accurate and awesome Lego Wonder. One of the last nights it was being displayed outside the theatre by the gift shops and a blind gentleman and his wife were by the ship. The guy that made it took quite a long time with the blind gentleman guiding his hand around the Lego model explaining the design of the ship allowing him to see the incredible ship he was on. Sometimes we humans are just really cool:)

So although I feel this thread was set up to mock DCL, because almost everyone in the modern world knows Disney and Disney magic and Pixie dust, not only from DCL, but also the Disney parks and many other venues.
No, I want to know what people consider pixie dust. The alcohol thread has a debate about whether Disney really has superior service. I've contended that, in my experience, the service I received on DCL was on par with other high end brands. Other people had different opinions. Then people began citing good cruise service options (NCL or RCCL) but mentioned a lack of pixie dust. I'm curious what people mean whether in the parks or on a cruise. Is my understanding right or wrong?

I felt certain that no one actually expects a real fairy to come sprinkle glitter on them that will allow them to fly if they think a very happy thought. But, perhaps I was wrong about that.

For me, the words luck and pixie dust are synonyms. On DCL, luck is rebranded as pixie dust. Thats about it. Excellent customer service is an expectation thing for me since DCL sells them self on having superior customer service...excellent customer service is not shocking/stand out or a situation of having good luck in my books, its something I paid for. Luck can happen to anyone at any time...like winning the lottery.

We were lucky in that we were chosen as the Delta Airlines Special Family en route to our first cruise. We were upgraded, got to board first and meet the captains, tour the cockpit, etc. Since it was a DCL cruise related flight, I referred to this stroke of luck as "Pixie Dust".

We were upgraded from a one room suite to a huge penthouse when we arrived at the pre-cruise hotel...lucky yes. We called it Pixie Dust.

We were running late for boarding and got lucky time wise...traffic was not bad. We called it Pixie Dust.

Our daughter was selected a few times to participate in the shows...lucky yes. We called it Pixie Dust.

We were on the deck and Pluto came outside. Our daughter challenged him to a race. He accepted the challenge. Totally right place, right time situation...but since it was DCL, we called it Pixie Dust.

There was leftovers from one of our favorite meals the night before...we got lucky and our server swooped it up for us. We called it Pixie Dust.

So as I have shown, all of my "Pixie Dust" moments were really just lucky, right place, right time moments but because it was Disney related, we called them Pixie Dust.

For me, the words luck and pixie dust are synonyms. On DCL, luck is rebranded as pixie dust. Thats about it. Excellent customer service is an expectation thing for me since DCL sells them self on having superior customer service...excellent customer service is not shocking/stand out or a situation of having good luck in my books, its something I paid for. Luck can happen to anyone at any time...like winning the lottery.

We were lucky in that we were chosen as the Delta Airlines Special Family en route to our first cruise. We were upgraded, got to board first and meet the captains, tour the cockpit, etc. Since it was a DCL cruise related flight, I referred to this stroke of luck as "Pixie Dust".

We were upgraded from a one room suite to a huge penthouse when we arrived at the pre-cruise hotel...lucky yes. We called it Pixie Dust.

We were running late for boarding and got lucky time wise...traffic was not bad. We called it Pixie Dust.

Our daughter was selected a few times to participate in the shows...lucky yes. We called it Pixie Dust.

We were on the deck and Pluto came outside. Our daughter challenged him to a race. He accepted the challenge. Totally right place, right time situation...but since it was DCL, we called it Pixie Dust.

There was leftovers from one of our favorite meals the night before...we got lucky and our server swooped it up for us. We called it Pixie Dust.

So as I have shown, all of my "Pixie Dust" moments were really just lucky, right place, right time moments but because it was Disney related, we called them Pixie Dust.

I think luck has a lot to do with it, but to be fair, I also think there is something to be said for how Disney responds to those serendipitous occurrences.

Yes, right-place-right-time for Pluto, but did the CM have to take your daughter up on her race challenge? They could have just loped along waving at everyone and went on their way, and no one would have cried "foul".

If you are lucky enough to get a cabin upgrade - well, they didn't have to give you an upgrade because they happened to have an empty cabin in a higher category. They already have your money, and they could have kept you in your current stateroom category and no one would have been the wiser.

So I agree there is luck involved, but it's also CMs who go the extra mile to leverage those random happenstances into something special for the guest.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter