Defiant Soon To Be 13 Year Old......

Dixiemom

DIS Veteran
We are booked at POR for June 15-23. My son turns 13 on the 26th. We celebrated his 9th birthday at CSR and he wore the Disney birthday button with no problem.....well of course he is too old for that (so HE says)....I told him it is so Photopass photogs will take more pics :rotfl2:.......he couldn't care less.....any thoughts how I can make his birthday a little "cooler"?????

Maybe he can have a special day where he gets to pick everything you guys do that day. He may love restaurants such as rainforest cafe or planet Hollywood. They may be more appealing for him. I am sure once he is there he will love it!

Maybe with one of these...
$T2eC16h,!w0E9szN,9wRBQG0z08Rgg~~60_12.JPG

:goodvibes

Seriously, though teenagers are tough. Maybe dinner at his favorite restaurant?

My DD is 15 and she wants to eat at both Rainforest and T-Rex, so we are doing that to keep the coolness factor going for her! :)

I am sure someone else has a better idea than I do!

I am sending lots of pixie dust your way! :wizard:

pixiedust:

I'd say let him pick the day's activities, and let him choose to NOT wear the bday button if that's what he wants.

I'd say let him pick the day's activities, and let him choose to NOT wear the bday button if that's what he wants.

Yes. If what will make him happiest is no attention from strangers, give him that as a gift. Not everyone loves the spotlight.

haha - I hardly think defiant is refusing to wear a birthday button. I would say that is probably pretty common for a 13 year old boy. Defiant is when he refuses to get up in the morning and go to the parks with you or when he complains bitterly because he can't bring a friend.

I would just go with the flow and let him have a say in your activities. I'm sure you will all have a wonderful trip! Enjoy!

Thanks everyone! True, defiant isn't really how he is being but I didn't have enough room in the title to write what I really wanted to write.......He doesn't really seem to have a fav restaurant but he loved Hard Rock Cafe in Atlanta and enjoyed 50's Prime Time last year......his main thing last year was the wave at Typhoon Lagoon, so that will for sure be a winner. He is also a big Test Track fan. Thanks again for the suggestions :)

When my son was 13 he no longer was interested in Disney, so we left him in the room one day all by himself with explicit instructions not to leave. After spending all day alone his attitude improved dramatically. :rotfl:

Typhoon lagoon sounds like fun. Does he like Disney Quest. That can be fun.

you can be strict about the button and tell him wear the button or don't go... thats what would have happened when we were kiddos back in the day or you could forget the button and see it as not so important as having a good time. Is there more to this than the button that is what I would be concerned with. I have three teens almost adults in age and one of mine likes to call the shots and is a bit controlling attention seeking now this I do not allow. I made shirts one year and my sisters kids (Teens)were adiment about not wearing them, I said ok and I still made them gave them to them and when all the adults and other kids in our group of 12 put them on they all said what the hay and decided it was better than fumbling through the what to wear debacle.

My 2p (or 2 cents) worth as a mother.

Is it really that important for him to wear a button? I am all for not letting your kids win battles with you, but he is growing up now and part of that is allowing him to make some decisions for himself. Would you insist on choosing his outfit now as if he were a 3 year old? I think you should let the little things go, let him pick something that he would like to do - as others have said, pick the park for the day or something minor like that.

Save the fights for the important stuff.

Good luck.

Does he wear a ball cap while at the parks??? Maybe pin it on there...What about a backpack?? Pin it on there...

You could wear the button for him..When folks congradulate for it being your BD..Just smile and tell them it is his birthday..Believe me folks will understand when they see the BD boy is a teenager...

BTW If this is your worst problem with a near 13 yo ---you are a lucky woman...

We are booked at POR for June 15-23. My son turns 13 on the 26th. We celebrated his 9th birthday at CSR and he wore the Disney birthday button with no problem.....well of course he is too old for that (so HE says)....I told him it is so Photopass photogs will take more pics :rotfl2:.......he couldn't care less.....any thoughts how I can make his birthday a little "cooler"?????

I agree with others about letting him pick the activities for the day. Definitely don't push the birthday button. Fasten your seat belt...the teen years are tough.

Our DS is 16, he refuses any kind of button. His favorite things at Disney are swimming and food. So we make sure that we work those things in for him.

He will not tell us what he likes to do, where he likes to eat, and I have had to drag the swimming out of him from previous years.

I agree teen years are interesting. I do catch DS having a blast at Disney often. I never say anything when he is having fun. I go with the moment and take pictures!

Good Luck! Teen Boys - Gotta Love Them!

LOL. personally I think those button are ridiculously stupid and I'm closer to 63 than 13.
Secondly I'm really not into forcing people to do what they want to do especially stuff that is so not important.
Lastly, it's his birthday. Not much of a birthday if he's forced to do and wear stuff he'd rather not. Once again, I'm way older and the thought of being forced to wear say a goofy shirt simply for photo ops wouldn't make me "disney like".

It's his birthday, how about letting him pick and chose his activities and his wardrobe. If he decides to be "low key" absolutely nothing wrong with that.

i agree let him pick the food park for a day and the rides..i have a 15 yr old son..and disney started losing its coolness..til he went on a band trip with 160 others..now he wants to go back...there are certain things worth being controlling over as a parent..a button i would not consider one of them. GIve them some freedom..give a little ...he will give a litle..compromise is key.

I am not going to push the button (no pun intended, well, maybe a little one)....Guess I just hate to see him growing up :sad: He will have a fantastic time, guess I am the one who is so into the Disney thing (I even wanted us to wear matching clothes in the hopes of being picked as family of the day LOL)....in truth, as long as the kids have fun that's all I care about. My 8 year old daughter has to start a weight loss program when we return and I can't have her not eat the Disney food while we are there. Kind of like a last hurrah in a way. My son does have that same misting bottle :goodvibes He doesn't think about the trip having anything to do with his birthday and actually the dates just worked out like that so I should probably think the same way.....Now I just have to wait for June 15th to get here........never stayed at POR and an so excited!

All of the above to pick what he wears and wants to eat and do!

However, I once saw a family with a son about 13...........the Dad had a more or less small sign on the stick, saying *ITS HIS B'DAY*.

I watched as they went by one of the Photo pass folks and instant photos!:thumbsup2

I don't know how long Dad got away with it...but I did give the Dad a *thumbs up*

aKK

I had the same problem two years ago when we took my son (he was 12). I wore the button. I told people that I did all the work 11 years ago, so I should get all the praise!

When my son was 13 he no longer was interested in Disney, so we left him in the room one day all by himself with explicit instructions not to leave. After spending all day alone his attitude improved dramatically. :rotfl:

Parenting done right! Love this. Will use it when my pair become teens.

I would not only "let" him plan the day, I would make him plan the day. Part of family vacation is making plans, whether they are ADRs, picking the parks, or whatever. Be prepared to sit around the pool all day, or hit the arcade, of whatever he wants.

Also be prepared to be pleasantly surprised. He may just consider others when he plans this, and put in activities that other people like. Responsibility for others' happiness may be something he takes quite seriously.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter