Defiant Soon To Be 13 Year Old......

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by Dixiemom, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Prose

Prose DIS Veteran

Our DD celebrated her 13th at WDW this past October. Basically all the button got her was a little more attention from CMs and a few free cupcakes. Two things she did that were special were 1) rent one of the Watermice at POR and get to drive (with DH next to her) and 2) do a Junior Ridealong at the Speedway. If he likes cars at all, it will be amazing for him. She got to do 3 laps at over 100mph.....

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. Princess Disney Mom

Princess Disney Mom DIS Veteran

Take him to Disney quest and innoventions in Epcot. Buy him a teen boy Disney shirt. My son had an Disney "I didn't do it shirt" "mr cool" "Daytona 500". Check online. We got most at the outlet store. Let him choose the ADR. They have cool hats too. My son got a lot of attention from the CMs with those shirts.

That's the cool age and mine would not wear the birthday button either at least after his 12th bday.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

4. Princess Disney Mom

Princess Disney Mom DIS Veteran

Oh that reminds me that my teen son said I slowed down his touring style. I said fine go with your cousin and do whatever you want. They were back in 45 min as the lines were just as long for them. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

5. PrincessJo

PrincessJo Mouseketeer

We were at WDW this past November for my son's 16th birthday. The CM made him a birthday button and he took it politely.

Later he said he didn't want to wear it. I made him wear it for one day. He got tons of birthday wishes and loved it. He even put his button back on the next day all on his own. I didn't say a word...

My son is always thanking me for making him do things he doesn't want to do because in the end he almost always has fun and would have missed out. Just my own experience :)

6. CuteAsMinnie

CuteAsMinnie DIS Veteran

If he does not want to west a button, it will only cause YOU more frustration to try and make him do so. Save yourself the grief and let it go. ;)

Perhaps you can ask him to pick a dinner spot...

7. disnut8

disnut8 DIS Veteran

When my son was 13, I had him (and his father) rank every single attraction at Disney World from "No way Jose" to "yes, yes, yes!" I think I had ten different categories (like "only with a small wait, etc.). That was when I realized my son was so into movies as just about everything at MGM (now the Studios) was "yes, yes, yes!"

Maybe do that so you know what your son wants.

And I so agree with not wearing the button. Would you make him wear that to school?

8. las3888

las3888 DIS Veteran

I understand why you would want him to wear the button. It might be fruitless, but perhaps someone in the family could wear it on a bag or backpack as a PP has mentioned. If not, I would probably let it go. Good luck!

9. Bob NC

Bob NC DIS Veteran<br><font color="red">I am a trained pr

I'm not really understanding the question.

Maybe he wants to celebrate his birthday on the 26th, which is his birthday?

Are you not doing anything for his birthday on his birthday?

10. bennifer

bennifer Mouseketeer

Oh, how I feel for you! 13 is hard for everyone. My experience was I let my son pick a lot of the activities, most of the restaurants and then I crossed my fingers. It was one of the best trips! He was happy, he let himself enjoy still being a kid and that made me happy! I hope you are able to have the same kind of good experience!

11. Dixiemom

Dixiemom DIS Veteran

I have already mentioned I am not going to pursue the button thing anymore......and yes his birthday will be celebrated on his actual birthday after we return home....just thought since we will be there so close to his birthday we could tie it in. He will not be made to wear the button if he doesn't want to. BTW, Disney Quest did not go over well last year and I am glad we won't be going this time. I will make sure he gets to do the things he really enjoys doing while we are there (Typhoon Lagoon wave, Test Track, etc.). I also plan on letting my daughter eat what she wants while we are there for her last "food hurrah" before starting the weight loss program when we get back. As long as they have fun that's all I care about.

12. Bob NC

Bob NC DIS Veteran<br><font color="red">I am a trained pr

Yeah, our kids were not impressed with Disney Quest a whole lot either.

I bet once you get there and he's actually seeing all the stuff to do he may then have an answer to the question of what he'd like to do as a birthday celebration.

13. akhenaten

akhenaten <font color=green>Lucky for husband, the neighbors

That is a really bad way of putting it /thinking about it. A last food hurrah. And before you say you meant it in a kidding way... I believe many a truth is said in jest.

You need to not think of it that way ... And healthy eating should start right way .. Not be put off! To make it seem like you are letting her enjoy her last real food before the program is setting up a really....really bad thought process about the changes!!! Possibly setting her up to fail...

14. TDC Nala

TDC Nala <font color=red>1937, what a year that was<br><fon Moderator

I think making him wear the button if he prefers not to is going a bit overboard, but ask him if there is anything special he'd like to do for his birthday. If he loves Typhoon Lagoon, take him and tell him it is to celebrate his birthday since you know he enjoys it. But it sounds like he doesn't want special attention from outside the family, he's old enough to decide that now.