• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Defending your love of Disney... Really what is it that make people critique your vacation choice

....I could be way off base here, but I get the feeling that lots of people feel 'safe' at a Disney park.....personally, I have always dreamed of visiting other countries - specifically European countries, but I just don't feel safe about that, given that recent sad story about the pilot who committed suicide and took 150 people with him....I'd be remiss if I didn't also say that I, in particular am fearful, given what happened to us on 9-11...

....I could be way off base here, but I get the feeling that lots of people feel 'safe' at a Disney park.....personally, I have always dreamed of visiting other countries - specifically European countries, but I just don't feel safe about that, given that recent sad story about the pilot who committed suicide and took 150 people with him....I'd be remiss if I didn't also say that I, in particular am fearful, given what happened to us on 9-11...

Aww, I get that, I do! I would like to kindly and compassionately express to you that, if you do ever get the chance to travel out of the country, that you do so. We, as a military family, were fortunate to be stationed in Italy. Take a family of 3, knowing 3 Italian words and throw them in an unknown country! Scary as all get out. And, we didn't even live on the military base, we lived in a local community 20 minutes away. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

We traveled Italy, got along just fine( we learned a little more Italian ;) ). We traveled to Austria and Germany. We went to Oktoberfest, twice, once taking our daughter, because Oktoberfest, during the day, is family friendly. Our second day there, terrorist had made a direct threat to Oktoberfest, we still showed up. I refuse to live in fear.

Bad things can happen anywhere, even in our good ole USA.

I get how super insulting it can be. I go to a lot of concerts. I get it too. Then I will be called "groupie" which is ridiculous (there is no single band that I follow) and implies a level of sluttiness, frankly. OR... this one is particularly awesome.... I am "reliving my youth." That implies that I'm trying to act like a kid when I am not (when, in my youth, I never had the money or wherewithal to see this many shows.) And then, like icing on the cake, I, too, get called out on the money thing (we're talking about $20 shows here).

And then it occured to me.... let's change out the concert or Disney thing with SPORTS. Let's say a person has season tickets to see a sports team and spends all season at the stadium. OR perhaps even an expensive cable package during football season so they can sit on their couch and never miss a game. Let's even say the person themselves might spend a lot of time playing hockey or in an unpaid coach position. Do they get the grief we get? No WAY. It's sports, after all.

Keep working on your comebacks. I am.
My dad once said one day I'd need to find a cheaper hobby (mud racing), so I started ticking off his golf expenses. That was a short conversation ;)

I have had co workers comment on my vacations. "Your going to Disney again?" To which I answer "Of course how could I answer all you Disney questions if I didn't stay current on the topic?" Which usually garners a few laughs.

One particular co worker has to comment no matter what I am doing. Your going to the beach again? Yes we own a beach house and have to keep up the maintenance and make sure the ocean is still there.

Your going to DC again. Yep that is where the half marathon is at, kind of hard to run the race if I don't go where it is being held. Besides we have friends and business ties there.

She commented the other day on our April vacation about how "didn't you just go there in the fall?" I got so frustrated I looked at her and said "I had a mother and even though she has been gone 15 years I'm really not looking for another, do you think you could keep your comments to yourself?" The break room got really quite for a few seconds then everyone started laughing. She looked stunned for a few seconds and they said "You know you are right. Have fun and brings me back a refrigerator magnet. I will give you some money you pick what you think I would like."

Some people don't really get how they come across.

We were with a group of friends( most of our friends love or at least enjoy going to Disney), and one of the group started this with me, and she would not stop... even after I asked her to and then told her to.... this was over a 2 hours period off and on, she kept on and on about how much it cost... she just kept on needling me

How do you handle these kind of people?

I'd start with not letting anyone needle me for two hours about anything!

I would have told her to go kick rocks after five minutes, OP.

I had a friend who had never been to Disney. Talking to her over time I realized that she really didn't understand what Disney was. She just couldn't imagine why I would fly and stay in a hotel to go to an amusement park. I think because she had never been or done research she assumed it was a typical carnival with characters walking around and maybe Mickey Mouse balloons. Then if you tried to explain things you got comments like how can the countries in Epcot seem real when you know you are in Florida not a foreign country. Then there was the usual don't you want to go somewhere else not part of a kids fantasy world.

I'd start with not letting anyone needle me for two hours about anything!

I would have told her to go kick rocks after five minutes, OP.

1st We were at someone else home, 2nd this was off and on over 2 hours not continuously for 2 hours straight . Some of the other women and I were sitting in the living room talking about what everyone was doing for family vacation and spring break, and summer vacation day trips. We were all just kicking around and sharing ideas for past trips and giving some tips to place we had been. The group is a total mix of ages, some with kiddos, some like us with grown kids with Grandkids, and some new families with little ones. She just kept nipping at me, till it got to the point I originally posted about. Honestly I totally agree with you, and would have loved to told her to kick rocks when she 1st started. I was trying to be polite and respectful of my other friends, and the fact I was at someone else's home.

One of the great things about getting older is I really don't care a lot about what other people think. That includes my vacation choices. I'll start caring about what people think about my vacation when they start paying for it.

Aww, I get that, I do! I would like to kindly and compassionately express to you that, if you do ever get the chance to travel out of the country, that you do so. We, as a military family, were fortunate to be stationed in Italy. Take a family of 3, knowing 3 Italian words and throw them in an unknown country! Scary as all get out. And, we didn't even live on the military base, we lived in a local community 20 minutes away. I wouldn't trade it for anything!

We traveled Italy, got along just fine( we learned a little more Italian ;) ). We traveled to Austria and Germany. We went to Oktoberfest, twice, once taking our daughter, because Oktoberfest, during the day, is family friendly. Our second day there, terrorist had made a direct threat to Oktoberfest, we still showed up. I refuse to live in fear.

Bad things can happen anywhere, even in our good ole USA.
.....well, my DH would NEVER want to travel out of the country....:sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter