• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Defending your love of Disney... Really what is it that make people critique your vacation choice

My MIL is the only one that really says anything. But that is because they only go camping for vacations and she feels that if we can afford to go to Disney then we can afford to go visit her. Which is technically true. We just don't want to so we go where we want. And I consider a value hotel to be camping so I really don't fit in there. LOL

I had the same exact thought……..I guess no government employees are allowed to go to Disney then. Has anyone informed them of this? :D

OP, I rather like how you handled the situation! I bet she’s done riding you about your choices.

I think you handled it the way it needed to be handled.

As I'm not a frequent Disney vacationer, I haven't had to defend such a decision, but I've had people make personal remarks in regards to our family size. I handle it much the way you did. Frankly put, it's nobody's business what you do with your money or how you spend your vacation, and in my case, it's nobody's business how many kids we have.

This type of attitude always comes up when visiting Disney is discussed. It may be hard for some to wrap their head around, but there are lots and lots of people that have zero interest in vising Disney, not because they can't afford it, but because they just. don't. care.

Yeah, but if they just don't care then they wouldn't be giving me grief about going either (and most people don't thank goodness). They are usually the type who think Disney is just for kids and don't even know about the various aspects of what is offered. It's not a given that they would like those things, but they simply assume that those things don't exist.

I've always gotten the "why are you taking your son he's not old enough to remember. It's not fair to him."

Because that makes so much sense. Don't got to disney go to the beach or somewhere else cause he'll remember that? Or stay home and have him not remember things there. When he was a baby that trip was for me. Now that he's getting older the trips are all about him.

I always told people Disney isn't a one time deal for us. I grew up going and my son will grow up going.

It definitely is none of their business. Most of the time they are probably just jealous.

Whoa, someone had the nerve to comment how you spent your salary, simply because it's issued by the government? That's messed up.

Criticism of vacation choices isn't limited to Disney, and it's nobody's business.

It's not just military who receive those remarks. Teachers get them too, as does my friend who works for the State of NJ.

Love it!!! That would be my response also!!!!

Well, I'd give a less biting response or ignore it if the other person just had one snide remark, but in the OPs situation, where the other party kept at it, I think it's entirely appropriate.

Being a military spouse, I get the: "But your spending tax payers money on vacation!" Yes - and i also pay taxes myself ;) so i guess it rounds out in the end :)

Say what? As a military spouse, I don't know if I could hold back on that one. Oh, and also as a civilian, just married to someone in the military and worked 90% of the time married, therefore contributing to the family budget, I can promise you it wasn't all "your tax dollars" paying for our vacation. Do they not know they military grants members 30 days leave a year, with most of them having more then that banked in a 12 month calendar year? What are they supposed to do, sit at home in front of the tv? Oh wait, their tax dollars pay my cable bill too..

Of all the asinine things I have heard.[/QUOTE]

I think it would hard for me not to laugh. And then I might say, "I'll grab a sheet of paper. Here's a pen. Make a list of what items you authorize us to spend our salary on." :)

YES!! I would LOVE to know what we are "Authorized" to spend that money on!! Cracks me up!! - WHOW - I wonder if we were allowed to buy Christmas gifts or gifts for others with that....LOL

Sorry to go off topic OP!

Say what? As a military spouse, I don't know if I could hold back on that one. Oh, and also as a civilian, just married to someone in the military and worked 90% of the time married, therefore contributing to the family budget, I can promise you it wasn't all "your tax dollars" paying for our vacation. Do they not know they military grants members 30 days leave a year, with most of them having more then that banked in a 12 month calendar year? What are they supposed to do, sit at home in front of the tv? Oh wait, their tax dollars pay my cable bill too..

Of all the asinine things I have heard.

YES!! I would LOVE to know what we are "Authorized" to spend that money on!! Cracks me up!! - WHOW - I wonder if we were allowed to buy Christmas gifts or gifts for others with that....LOL

Sorry to go off topic OP![/QUOTE]

As a military spouse, I do not think you should hold back! Honestly, is that money that members of our armed services, and their families receive for the service and sacrifice made for this Country subject to public approval prior to spending? Does that mean that before service members place their lives on the line, do they get to approve who they do so for? Because those nitwits who do not understand that they get to approve military spending by way of their elected officials, and then it ends there may wind up on the "maybe, if there is nothing better to do" list if we use that measure for who gets what when....just sayin'.

My nephews served a total of 5 tours of duty in Iraq, and Heaven help anyone who tried to tell me that their vacations had to be approved by a civilian at a party. In this case, I would forget my little "Why do you ask question", and let em have it with both barrels.

I think you handled it the way it needed to be handled.

As I'm not a frequent Disney vacationer, I haven't had to defend such a decision, but I've had people make personal remarks in regards to our family size. I handle it much the way you did. Frankly put, it's nobody's business what you do with your money or how you spend your vacation, and in my case, it's nobody's business how many kids we have.

As the sixth child in my family, I think you have just the right number!

I spend my extra money on vacations. We drive a 14 year old car that we paid off 11 years ago, we don't have expensive hobbies, we go out to eat once a week, but nothing elaborate. I don't spend money on designer anything, I work as a RN so I wear shrubs to work and rarely buy any clothing, and my kids (luckily) have cousins just a bit bigger than them and get fantastic hand me downs. I but them shoes and jeans, and that's about it.

We go on one big vacation annually - usually 9-10 days in Disney and several long weekend trips the rest of the year. I have no problem with telling people that if the lived frugally, they could afford several elaborate vacations a year, too.

I love Disney, my DH loves Disney, as well as most of my family.pixiedust:

What is it about Disney that some family, friends or co-workers think that they can critique your vacation choice. I just can't understand it..... I am so sick of having to hear why are you going again, or its just the two of you its for kids you know.... Or why would you spend so much on a vacation or its so expensive.. then the... how can you afford it? Why would you stand in line to ride a ride, or its so hot, or crowded or ... or... :scared1: whatever it is they are rambling off...

You should do this or that or whatever.....they think is appropriate for you and your family.

STOP the Madness....

We were with a group of friends( most of our friends love or at least enjoy going to Disney), and one of the group started this with me, and she would not stop... even after I asked her to and then told her to.... this was over a 2 hours period off and on, she kept on and on about how much it cost... she just kept on needling me ...so I had enough... when... I finally just told her that its really none of your business what we do, how we do it, how we afford it. Then I went further to say, DH and I travel a lot to other places and do a lot of other things, why it is that you feel that its okay to criticize our love of Disney? or worry about how we spend our money? ... Which she looked totally shock that I would say anything back :eek:, .... She was then went on to say that we are immature for going there and spending our money in that way... Well... then things got heated... I didn't mince words... I just plainly told her off, by saying I don't criticize the fact that the only trips you take are to the same time-share at the same beach every year, that you don't pay a dime for and you strong arm your in-laws to giving you for free. Or that every time we have a girls trip you wait till the last minute to say your going, and want to room with one of us, after we are paired up and paid for, you want to ride with one of us, you never offer gas money, never want to pay for your part of the hotel... as you put it... its all ready paid for why should you have to pay anything. It's none of your business how we spend our money, and you need to mind your own business and stay out of mine....She walked away at that point, I did apologize to the other ladies for having to listen to all that, but I had just had it at this point. Most of the women there are the ones that I go with on our trips with and said it needed to be said, and you asked her to stop and she was just being nasty.. I was unaware of this other little fact, as our trip is coming up, and she was told last year by another friend that she was welcome to come but she was going to pay her way and not this last minute stuff that she pulls. The girl that plans these trips reminded her earlier at the party when she found out she was trying to get another friend to let her stay with her..

I probably went to far, but I am not sorry about it

How do you handle these kind of people?

I think you handled her just fine. :thumbsup2 Apparently, she's a mooch who gets freebies off of as many other people as she can. She has no sense of boundaries, and is plain rude, voicing opinions she has no right having, since she is trying to get as many free rides as she can get. Since your other gal pals didn't seem offended or thought what you said was inappropriate and even told you she NEEDED to be told off, you did the right thing. Hopefully now, she will think twice before trying her stunts on all of you girls again, since she's been nailed by a couple of you now.

I have had some comments in the past and just mention that I don't have other hobbies that we spend money on. We don't have a boat, camper, atv, jet ski, we don't hunt, fish, golf, scrapbook, craft, etc... And I never fail to mention their particular money suck.

We have family member like this who live in Orlando. They only go to Disney if they somehow get free tickets.

We rarely get to see them so last trip we arranged to meet them for a few hours in DTD the day of our arrival.

They did not want to do anything stating over and over how expensive everything was! Then they asked about the restaurants, room etc.

On and on they talked about money and "you don't know what a rip off it is because you don't live down here."

Needless to say we will not be arranging to visit on our next trip.

It was rude. Disney is expensive but it's also really fun. I will enjoy is as I am able!

You are under no obligation to explain your decisions to anyone. Just smile and say, "I really don't think it's any of your concern." Then imediately change the subject.

I think there would be one less friend in my circle if one acted like that. I don't have to defend my Disney love to anyone because nobody gives me grief about it.

It's not just military who receive those remarks. Teachers get them too, as does my friend who works for the State of NJ.
What a completely perverse point of view. Thankfully, despite numerous family in education (including my wife, sister, and both parents), I've never heard anyone say that before.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter