Deer Season

Christopher Robin

DIS Veteran
Just sighted in the rifle (.32 Winchester, lever action, iron sights), getting ready for Monday here in Pennsylvania.

Any other deer hunters out there?

We've had early muzzle loader season and archery season for deer already, but rifle season is the BIG one for me. I actually look forward to deer camp as much or more than the hunt. Sitting around in long johns playing cards, watching the Steelers play football, eating chili, going to bed early but not being able to sleep.

Good luck to all, and be safe.

I hunted for years and always enjoyed the camp more than the hunt. I also liked the power naps out in the cold woods before I couldn't take the cold anymore.

I haven't seen a .32 Winchester in years. A very underrated round that just never saw the populatiry of the .30-.30.

Knowing I wouldn't be hunting in Florida, I sold my deer rifles before I moved. The friend that bought them just e-mailed me a few days ago to tell me he got a deer with the .308. He had taken it to the range to sight it in prior and said I already had it dead-on at 100 yards (with scope).

The deer camp was always someplace that took on a special warmth the day before open season. It's something you simply cannot explain to someone who hasn't had the experience.

Good luck with your season.

Got the .32 from my dad, who got it from his dad...
And my son will get it from me.

I always like watching some of the John Wayne westerns where he uses that gun.

I also have a scoped .300 H&H Mag bolt-action, but it is too much gun for this area.

As to camp, yeah, like so many things, its like describing the ocean to a well frog. You just have to experience it.

Sorry to hear about you not being able to hunt anymore, but I've read you alot, and understand.

Thanks for the post. I'll take a nap for you.

Not a hunter here...my cousin is the designated hunter for my family. Wishing you a good season.

My husband has the itch. It's like a disease or an addiction, and he can't get it out of his system!

Good luck to the hunters, and be safe!

I just got him a Thompson Center Fire Pro Hunter (I think that's what it is) for his birthday, and he loves it. I think that's the one he'll be hunting with.

Good luck to you! We have 2 does in the freezer, 1 from Bow season and another from shotgun season. He has today and tomorrow for shotgun and then muzzle loader starts. I'm a deer hunting widow, but that's fine by me!

My husband has the itch. It's like a disease or an addiction, and he can't get it out of his system!

Good luck to the hunters, and be safe!

I just got him a Thompson Center Fire Pro Hunter (I think that's what it is) for his birthday, and he loves it. I think that's the one he'll be hunting with.

Black powder hunter, huh? I have a .50 Thompson Firestorm, myself.

Good luck to you! We have 2 does in the freezer, 1 from Bow season and another from shotgun season. He has today and tomorrow for shotgun and then muzzle loader starts. I'm a deer hunting widow, but that's fine by me!

Are you the venison cook then? He sounds like he's successful enough.
My wife prefers that I just jerky mine (except for the back straps).

We don't get a dedicated shutgun deer season in PA. And I don't bow hunt (yet).

My wife doesn't mind being the hunter's widow either, God love her.

My little guy (8) is going out for the first time on Tuesday with his Uncle - he is REALLY looking forward to it! GOOD LUCK!

Black powder hunter, huh? I have a .50 Thompson Firestorm, myself.

I'm not sure what the draw of black powder is for him. But that's what he hinted at, so that's what I got him. It would have been a little simpler if my dad, the gunsmith, went with me to get it, but he was busy, so I had to learn pretty quickly.

My little guy (8) is going out for the first time on Tuesday with his Uncle - he is REALLY looking forward to it! GOOD LUCK!

Thanks. And good luck to your little one and his uncle. And thank you for passing the torch. I hope I can do the same with mine.

I'm not sure what the draw of black powder is for him. But that's what he hinted at, so that's what I got him. It would have been a little simpler if my dad, the gunsmith, went with me to get it, but he was busy, so I had to learn pretty quickly.

You made a good choice. Flintlocks take more skill, and are more of a challenge. That's why many like it, I think.

And if his hint was anything like mine are, it was written down on paper, with exact specifications highlighted.

My DS6 and DS3 both had to wear camo on Thanksgiving for their great-uncle. DS6 was just given a rack from this uncle and he is so excited to hang it in his room. I think I have two future deer hunters in the works.

Good luck guys (and gals). Hope everyone has a safe and successful season.

My DS6 and DS3 both had to wear camo on Thanksgiving for their great-uncle. DS6 was just given a rack from this uncle and he is so excited to hang it in his room. I think I have two future deer hunters in the works.

Good luck guys (and gals). Hope everyone has a safe and successful season.

Thanks.

I have a photo of my son swaddled in a buckskin when he was an infant. Very cute.

You made a good choice. Flintlocks take more skill, and are more of a challenge. That's why many like it, I think.

And if his hint was anything like mine are, it was written down on paper, with exact specifications highlighted.

:lmao:

His hints weren't quite as bad as yours. His were more along the lines of "google this" and "see if you can find that."

It was actually his friend who called me up and said, "Write this down, this is what he wants."

When I got to the store to buy it, I stood there, and had to call his friend. There are traditional stocks, thumbhole stocks, black or camo, what kind of scope?

:laughing: I was in way over my head.

:lmao:

His hints weren't quite as bad as yours. His were more along the lines of "google this" and "see if you can find that."

It was actually his friend who called me up and said, "Write this down, this is what he wants."

When I got to the store to buy it, I stood there, and had to call his friend. There are traditional stocks, thumbhole stocks, black or camo, what kind of scope?

:laughing: I was in way over my head.

Who do you think told his friend to call and what to say?
;)

I bought Dh a bow last year for Christmas (Bass Pro shop is awesome). He hasn't had a chance to deer hunt with it yet, but he plans on going out next week. :woohoo:

We grind most of ours into burger. We only leave the backstraps and a few roasts for jerky unground. My oldest ds loves it, but my youngest will only eat it ground or jerky. I don't really like the roasts or backstraps myself, but we never seem to have a problem finding someone who does!

I bought Dh a bow last year for Christmas (Bass Pro shop is awesome). He hasn't had a chance to deer hunt with it yet, but he plans on going out next week. :woohoo:

Nice thing about buying him a bow is him going hunting with it and giving you the day to yourself. The up side of hunting widow, I guess. We go hunting so that the wives can have time to themselves. Yeah, that's it.
:rolleyes1

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest