• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Decorations on Concierge doors...Is it tacky?

I wouldn't worry about anyone finding it tacky. It is a Disney cruise and meant to be fun and magical. If someone wants a super high end experience without the fun touches like decorated doors they can fail Cunard. The true Disney spirit that Walt wanted was for everyone to be able to feel like a kid. Decorated doors add to that fun. At the end of the day, you probably won't ever see any of those people again, so eek really cares what they think? Go. Have fun. I hope your daughter had a great birthday!

I wouldn't worry about anyone finding it tacky. It is a Disney cruise and meant to be fun and magical. If someone wants a super high end experience without the fun touches like decorated doors they can fail Cunard. The true Disney spirit that Walt wanted was for everyone to be able to feel like a kid. Decorated doors add to that fun. At the end of the day, you probably won't ever see any of those people again, so eek really cares what they think? Go. Have fun. I hope your daughter had a great birthday!
Hum, you just might...if some of use work for disney

My comment was directed only at the OP. Her post seemed to me to express a concern that people on her cruise would have a problem with her door. My comment was to not worry about anyone on her cruise judging her door and just have fun.

I quoted her post, not anyone else's, so I'm not sure why you think I'm criticizing you.

I don't think you're criticizing me.

I think the tacky one is the person who judges you for decorating your door while on holiday. I love to see the creative ideas people have. Make your door as special as you want and don't worry about anyone else.

My post, directed to the OP, hoping that she would enjoy decorating her door, if she decided to, and not to worry about those who didn't like it

Here comes the "judging" thing. Expressing an opinion (which is what was asked originally), is not "judging". It is expressing an opinion.

Political correctness run amok.

Your response, quoting me, where you seem to have an issue with what I said.

I don't think you're criticizing me.
Okay. I guess you just didn't like my opinion then.

I don't think anyone has ever told me I was too PC. I will rephrase my original response.

To the OP:
Decorate your door however you like to celebrate your child's birthday. In fact, decorate your door however you like for any reason. If someone on your cruise judges, or has a negative opinion, about your door, who cares? And, if they are so bothered about it as to share this judgment, or negative opinion, with you, tell them to get a life (that bit is PC as I would most likely not be that polite).

It would appear that some people on the DIS boards have given you the impression that it is not okay to celebrate your child's birthday by decorating a door on a Disney cruise. To be honest, the fact that you thought there was a need to ask about this made me feel a little sad.

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and that your child has a memorable birthday.

To the OP:
Decorate your door however you like to celebrate your child's birthday. In fact, decorate your door however you like for any reason. If someone on your cruise judges, or has a negative opinion, about your door, who cares? And, if they are so bothered about it as to share this judgment, or negative opinion, with you, tell them to get a life (that bit is PC as I would most likely not be that polite).

It would appear that some people on the DIS boards have given you the impression that it is not okay to celebrate your child's birthday by decorating a door on a Disney cruise. To be honest, the fact that you thought there was a need to ask about this made me feel a little sad.
All of this. I hope that my comment that I didn't see many decorations wasn't a deterrent. For me, I think the reports of magnets not sticking is the main thing that held me back and led to the banner. I am confident I would have made magnets if I had thought they would stick.

I have never quoted anything so I hope I did it right. I just wanted to say I only asked because I have never been on a Disney Cruise and didn't know if there was some unsaid thing about not decorating doors in Concierge and I don't want to mess up the decorum of the area. I am fully aware that I can make my own decisions on how I plan to celebrate my daughter's Birthday.
To be honest, the fact that you thought there was a need to ask about this made me feel a little sad.

I have never quoted anything so I hope I did it right. I just wanted to say I only asked because I have never been on a Disney Cruise and didn't know if there was some unsaid thing about not decorating doors in Concierge and I don't want to mess up the decorum of the area. I am fully aware that I can make my own decisions on how I plan to celebrate my daughter's Birthday.

I apologize if my comment appeared critical toward you. I will continue to believe you cannot mess up the decorum of any part of a Disney ship by celebrating the birthday of a child.

When I was on the WBPC in May 14, people who were in concierge decorated their doors. I understand that on the Wonder it is easier to do it than the Dream or Fantasy. As I also understand that you need a more powerful magnet, it could be done. My opinion is that you do what feels comfortable to you and celebrate your daughter's birthday the whole time on the cruise. My next cruise is going to be next year and embarkation day is my birthday. I plan on wearing my Birthday button all week! I will also bring magnets to decorate my door, I will be in a Navigators Veranda. Enjoy your cruise and hope your daughter has a great birthday.

My post, directed to the OP, hoping that she would enjoy decorating her door, if she decided to, and not to worry about those who didn't like it

Your response, quoting me, where you seem to have an issue with what I said.

Okay. I guess you just didn't like my opinion then.

I don't think anyone has ever told me I was too PC. I will rephrase my original response.

To the OP:

I hope you have a wonderful cruise and that your child has a memorable birthday.

I generally don't like to respond to drama situations so here goes anyway. People here never said to decorate was tacky or anyone that does is tacky. They/we gave an honest OPINION about decorating doors in Concierge....PERIOD. I realize it's the internet and most would NEVER say what has been said here to anyone in person. Off soapbox! Mommytok...enjoy your cruise any don't worry about the darn door....LOL.

Its your door-decorate it if you want to. We've traveled concierge several times and have decorated our door both times. DD loves to hang the magnets we received on prior cruises. They will hang with extra strong magnets.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter