• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Decorations on Concierge doors...Is it tacky?

Mommytok

Earning My Ears
Hi, We will be traveling on the Dream in January for my Daughter's 5th Birthday. I was thinking of decorating the door for her Birthday but, I have heard various comments that people in Concierge don't really decorate and/or it's tacky. Just wondering is this the case or are there some doors decorated? I'm already aware of the type of magnets that are required for those doors. TIA!

Hi, We will be traveling on the Dream in January for my Daughter's 5th Birthday. I was thinking of decorating the door for her Birthday but, I have heard various comments that people in Concierge don't really decorate and/or it's tacky. Just wondering is this the case or are there some doors decorated? I'm already aware of the type of magnets that are required for those doors. TIA!
IMO, I think decorating your door is entirely up to you. So, no, I don't think it's tacky.

There are others, however, who feel the "high rent" district should abstain from such frivolity.

And still others who feel no one should decorate.

Do whatever works for you.

Agree with @PrincessShmoo that you can do whatever you would like. I'd add though that in my (admittedly limited) Concierge experience that I didn't see any decorated doors up there.

I thought the concierge doors were different & magnets didn't stay put very well. But I say decorate away!

I thought the concierge doors were different & magnets didn't stay put very well. But I say decorate away!
On the Dream & Fantasy the Concierge doors have a wood veneer, making the typical door magnet (fridge-type) difficult to attach. Generally, if you can get a stronger magnet, then the doors will accept a magnet.

I've also read of people who make a sort of FE-type hanger using a cookie sheet that they can attach magnets to.

I didn't see any door decorations. However, it was my parents 50th anniversary and I made a small banner to hang on their fish to celebrate.

I have cruised concierge and do not feel it is tacky in the least. However, the doors are different and require a REALLY strong magnet. Also because of the nice doors people who have decorated usually put a thin layer between the magnet and the door. Like a layer of tissue paper or something that will not damage the door. Also of interest is that the interior doors will work. While none of my decorations stuck to the outer door the inner door and the bathroom worked. So, if all else fails you can decorate inside for your daughter.

I think you don't see it because no one wants to get those strong magnets.

I personally would rather not see it, but then my only experience seeing a highly decorated door involve a FE that was so heavily laden things were falling out of it. And the things that fell were on the ground all evening, all night, and into the morning. (I am not a nightowl on a cruise nor am I an early riser and those things were on the ground for a LONG time) So it wasn't JUST the door that had stuff on it.

We sailed concierge this summer and there were a couple of decorated doors. I didn't do it because I had read about the magnets not staying. But my kids loved seeing all of the decorated doors on the decks! I bet your daughter would love it!

I'm in concierge and am not decorating, only inside for Halloween, I bought that Halloween package. And since you asked, not to be rude, but I (my opinion) happens to think it will look tacky and kind of spoil that whole look. But again, that's just me! Hence doing it inside!
Enjoy either way!

I think you don't see it because no one wants to get those strong magnets.

I personally would rather not see it, but then my only experience seeing a highly decorated door involve a FE that was so heavily laden things were falling out of it. And the things that fell were on the ground all evening, all night, and into the morning. (I am not a nightowl on a cruise nor am I an early riser and those things were on the ground for a LONG time) So it wasn't JUST the door that had stuff on it.

Those rare earth magnets are pretty cheap on Amazon.

And, yes, FEs that cause a mess on the floor where people have to walk around spilled contents or might trip on them are tacky and gauche no matter where your cabin is located.

We decorated our door for our non concierge Alaskan cruise last year and had a blast changing things out every day. We however did not do our door for our past concierge Dream sailing. I also didn't notice anyone else who did but we didn't walk the hallways often so could have missed it. We are not planning on doing our doors for our upcoming Halloween and Christmas concierge sailing either. This is 100% personal and if you want to decorate your door then have at it. Hopefully DCL will not take this perk away and then try to charge you for a door decorating package.

I have not seen doors decorated in concierge; not that it doesn't happen, I just haven't seen it the times we have been there. I wonder if the wood veneer has a two-fold purpose--looks, and to discourage magnets?

I love to see door decorations - it really lends an air of festivity in the hallways. My family enjoys walking the corridors of any given deck and looking at everyone's creativity. It's kind of like hanging a wreath on your front door at home... shows some of your personality and lends a welcoming air and feeling of friendship. When our son was younger, it served a secondary purpose of making the stateroom door easier to find among multiple identical doors. That said - the concierge doors on the Dream Class ships are GORGEOUS. Because of this (but mostly because they don't hold magnets well), we don't make a special effort for door decorations when we sail on the Fantasy or Dream, and make our Fish Extender our only personal decoration. If you are so inclined, GO FOR IT!!! If it makes you happy to personalize your door, you should definitely do so. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter