Declining Quality- Character Interactions? Or Fluke?

pangyal

#TeamSven
Wondering if we are alone in this...it seems to be a low point this week for characters at the meals with regard to interactions. We have done a lot of these meals over the years, and this week has seemed markedly different- for instance, we had to ask the handler to bring Mickey back at GG after he just waved and kept walking, Chip and Dale spent about ten seconds each (posed for a photo and signed DS' book), and this seemed to be the prevailing theme for the meals. DS was fairly upset and kept calling after the characters to ask them the questions he had prepared after they would literally come by, pose for a photo, sign, and leave. When he would try to talk to them as they signed or posed, they would just sort of nod or ignore him altogether. I'm not usually a complainer or overly sensitive, but I'd love to get opinions as to whether anyone else has noticed a difference this week as well? Maybe it's just super busy everywhere? We've eaten at CM, 1900 PF (the ladies spent quality time, but Pooh and Tigger bounced away pretty quickly), GG, and H&V (both breakfast and dinner), and noticed the same thing each time.

The character interactions I had at the GG were great. Pluto was especially fun. They all noticed my birthday celebration pin and pointed it out, sometimes clapping, sometimes kissing my hand. Now Tusker House was a totally different experience. I was there for an hour and none of them even came close to reaching my table. In part, it's because families were taking their kids to the characters rather than waiting for the characters to reach their tables. It wasn't a huge deal, but after spending that much money for the meal, I'd hope at least one of the characters would reach my table. The absolute best character interaction was with the Beast at BOG. He was awesome. I think sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

I did 1900 and Akershus last year for dinner and both times I thought it was a disappointment twice. Too rushed, tables to close together for the ladies to move and to take a decent picture. Getting decent pictures was a challenge anyway with the restaurant lighting and the amount of people in the back.

Tusker House was great, but we were the last shift of the day and the restaurant was almost empty.

We always have wonderful interactions at GG. There was once a kid at the booth next to us came and took Chip with him and I didn't get to take a pic with him. When the same Chip (I believe there are two sets of friends for each character), he stopped by and interacted with me. I told him that I was glad that he remembered to come back, and he was just awesome!

If a character misses you, you can let the handler know and usually the character will return.

We always have wonderful interactions at WDW and we have no kids in our party. We got photo bombed by Tigger at 1900 Parkfare. Sometimes characters visit us more than once. The only character meals we haven't tried are Cinderslla's Royal Table and Akershus.

We were at H&V this past Monday, and the characters there were great. They even started to make a second round before we left. My toddler tried to sneak in more signatures! Lol

Tuskegee on Thurs was different. We were there in 2013, and got to see Donald before we ate and take pics, of which we got a framed copy at the end of the meal. That didn't happen this time. Nor did my toddler get to see Mickey because we were getting food when he visited our table and he never came back. I was dissapointed with that visit this time. I also seem to remember Minnie Mouse being part of the crew in 2013, but she wasn't there Thursday.

Next time we probably won't do any character meals, just because of the cost. I realize you're paying for the character interaction, but it just doesn't seem worth the $30/adult and $27/kid. Plus, they tagged on an automatic 18% gratuity (I'm a big tipper anyways, usually more than 18%) even tho our 6th person was a non-paying toddler. That irked me a little but untimely saved me some cash since I typically tip around 25%.

We are adults and the characters were great at our breakfasts last week. We ate at Cape May, Crystal Palace, and Tusker House.

Thanks for the input! I know these things do vary, but it has been such a marked difference from all of our other trips. Even kiddo has noticed, which should not be happening. Maybe we just got lucky all of the other times, but Disney should definitely know that consistency is key with kids and that the characters should not be seeming like they're phoning it in.

I wonder if it's due to busier times. I imagine that can be really hard on the characters. Also, they may be heading for a break, which they are strictly required to do. Can you imagine needing to go to the bathroom in one of those costumes:scared: If they don't come back to you when they come back out, just ask the handler. We had great interactions last March but didn't do any character meals in July. In March, we did lunch at Tusker House and breakfast at 1900 Park Fare.

The character interactions I had at the GG were great. Pluto was especially fun. They all noticed my birthday celebration pin and pointed it out, sometimes clapping, sometimes kissing my hand. Now Tusker House was a totally different experience. I was there for an hour and none of them even came close to reaching my table. In part, it's because families were taking their kids to the characters rather than waiting for the characters to reach their tables. It wasn't a huge deal, but after spending that much money for the meal, I'd hope at least one of the characters would reach my table. The absolute best character interaction was with the Beast at BOG. He was awesome. I think sometimes it's just the luck of the draw.

That's too bad. The server usually checks to make sure that all the characters have come by. I would have spoke up.

We were at H&V this past Monday, and the characters there were great. They even started to make a second round before we left. My toddler tried to sneak in more signatures! Lol

Tuskegee on Thurs was different. We were there in 2013, and got to see Donald before we ate and take pics, of which we got a framed copy at the end of the meal. That didn't happen this time. Nor did my toddler get to see Mickey because we were getting food when he visited our table and he never came back. I was dissapointed with that visit this time. I also seem to remember Minnie Mouse being part of the crew in 2013, but she wasn't there Thursday.

Next time we probably won't do any character meals, just because of the cost. I realize you're paying for the character interaction, but it just doesn't seem worth the $30/adult and $27/kid. Plus, they tagged on an automatic 18% gratuity (I'm a big tipper anyways, usually more than 18%) even tho our 6th person was a non-paying toddler. That irked me a little but untimely saved me some cash since I typically tip around 25%.

The picture with Donald out front was stopped several years ago. Now he circulates inside.
Minnie was never at Tusker House

We went to WDW over Thanksgiving. We only did one character meal (Tusker House breakfast) and the characters were great! DD17 and DS15 don't really care if they see characters, but DS10 still really likes them. All of our kids posed together with the characters for photos, but then the characters all seemed to spend a little time with DS10 after the photo. Goofy kept high-fiving him and Donald was making a big deal about DS's shirt (it had Gerald from Finding Dory on it). The level of interaction seemed the same as usual for us. Maybe you just had some bad luck, OP. Hope your next trip is better!

I'm sorry you interactions were not what they should have been. I did not do traditional character meals the trip, but I did get into the m&g line for the Beast. It was awesome, I enjoyed watching him with the little ones who seemed enchanted by him.

Clearly they were not the only ones! When he signed tobthevfarm let he wanted a kiss, I was happy to oblige!

I seldom get silly but this time I let myself have fun.
image.jpeg

That's too bad. The server usually checks to make sure that all the characters have come by. I would have spoke up.

They weren't even close to my table and neither were the handlers. The server wasn't all that attentive. He wasn't horrible or rude, just not as engaged as all the other CMs I interacted with on the trip. The characters were a room away, there were tables full of kiddos all around me and as a solo adult traveler I didn't want to time away from all those kids who were waiting. The character interactions are a lot more important to them and the families pay a lot more overall than I do. So while it was disappointing that no characters made it to my table, I'd rather be disappointed than have kids disappointed.

One thing that I found odd is that the characters were all bunched together rather than going from table to table in single file. There were more handlers than I've ever seen, but they didn't seem to be doing much to regulate the flow. If I go again, it will probably be later in the evening rather than late morning. I've found it to be slower then.

Overall I had an awesome trip. If this was the low point, you know it was good. :)

Thanks for the input! I know these things do vary, but it has been such a marked difference from all of our other trips. Even kiddo has noticed, which should not be happening. Maybe we just got lucky all of the other times, but Disney should definitely know that consistency is key with kids and that the characters should not be seeming like they're phoning it in.

I dunno. I don't think they do, or they don't realize what the front line employees are doing. We got stuck on Splash Mtn for 20 min during 3 desperate breakdowns on our one time riding it. One of those times we got stuck for 5 min in the middle of the up side just before going down the front (where the pic is taken). My DD started bawling because she thought we'd be there forever (the previous breakdown just prior lasted 10 min). Plus being stuck at that angle just
Scared her.
When we got off, her face was still red and puffy, I said something to the cast member helping ppl off, and his only response was, "well you got to ride didn't you?"

Needless to say I went back to the front of the line kiosk and said something to them, because we were also using rider swap on that ride. I handed their FP back and told them why we wouldn't be utilizing it. That CM ended up giving us FP's for another ride. Which was nice of him, but I found the other CM's attitude incredibly rude, especially in front of an obviously distraught child.

I dunno. I don't think they do, or they don't realize what the front line employees are doing. We got stuck on Splash Mtn for 20 min during 3 desperate breakdowns on our one time riding it. One of those times we got stuck for 5 min in the middle of the up side just before going down the front (where the pic is taken). My DD started bawling because she thought we'd be there forever (the previous breakdown just prior lasted 10 min). Plus being stuck at that angle just
Scared her.
When we got off, her face was still red and puffy, I said something to the cast member helping ppl off, and his only response was, "well you got to ride didn't you?"

Needless to say I went back to the front of the line kiosk and said something to them, because we were also using rider swap on that ride. I handed their FP back and told them why we wouldn't be utilizing it. That CM ended up giving us FP's for another ride. Which was nice of him, but I found the other CM's attitude incredibly rude, especially in front of an obviously distraught child.
What would you have liked the CM to do?

To me, this sort of thing is akin to complaining to a fast food employee because you don't like menu/price changes. They have nothing to do with it.

We have had awesome character experience at GG, TH, 1900 PF, CP. GG really stood out, the characters loved my daughter and came back several times. I would say the CRT, Akerhaus were the most rushed in our observations. The princess's say hello, sign, picture out of there.

Sorry OP had not so great experiences with the cost it should have been better!

What would you have liked the CM to do?

To me, this sort of thing is akin to complaining to a fast food employee because you don't like menu/price changes. They have nothing to do with it.
Maybe using empathy might have made some difference

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter