December 2015 Help Thread - What To See & Do (Crowd Calendar Added)

image-jpg.99991

Goofy is strong.

RF-Graphic-from-DrawShop-naked-man-character-holding-or-carrying-the-world-or-globe-like-atlas-on-his-back-or-shoulders--109427-10.jpg

What's up with the significantly reduced park hours in December 2015 compared to December 2014? For one, the Magic Kingdom opened at 8am everyday in December 2014, but is slated to open at 9am everyday in December 2015. Also, let's take a look at the 2nd Saturday in each month. On Saturday, December 13th, 2014, the Magic Kingdom was open from 8am to 1am, with EMH until 3am, for a total of 19 hours. On Saturday, December 12th, 2015, the Magic Kingdom will be open from 9am to 10pm with no EMH, for a total of 13 hours.

6 less hours day to day in just one year. I don't like the thought of paying increased ticket prices for one third less park time.

In fact, the only time we'll see evening EMH at the Magic Kingdom in December 2015 will be on Wednesday nights, and they are closing the park two hours earlier than last year (10pm vs. midnight) to counter that, so there are no hours gained for onsite guests.

December 2014 hours
December 2015 hours

It's my understanding that once the hours for December are first released, they are the minimum, and they are almost always extended later. It would be interesting to see the December 2014 calendar as it was when it was *first* released, as compared to the final.
I'm pretty much expecting all MK openings to change to 8am's (except EMH), and avoiding booking any supposed "pre-opening" breakfasts there for that very reason. So many people book them and are apparently disappointed when Disney moves to the earlier opening hours when they do an update six weeks or so out.

I am in a similar boat. We were booked Dec 19-26 and when flights were released, it was a wash to add 2 park days and leave on the 17th. We are staying 9 nights, which is longer than usual for us, but it was worth it for us. Our tradition is to eat at Crystal Palace on Christmas Day (I know, we're crazy!) hope you get the ressie you want!
This is the longest trip we have taken as well. The longest we have stayed in the past is 7 days. Hope you get your Crystal Palace ADR. It's not crazy if that if you are where you want to be on Christmas Day.

What's up with the significantly reduced park hours in December 2015 compared to December 2014? For one, the Magic Kingdom opened at 8am everyday in December 2014, but is slated to open at 9am everyday in December 2015. Also, let's take a look at the 2nd Saturday in each month. On Saturday, December 13th, 2014, the Magic Kingdom was open from 8am to 1am, with EMH until 3am, for a total of 19 hours. On Saturday, December 12th, 2015, the Magic Kingdom will be open from 9am to 10pm with no EMH, for a total of 13 hours.

6 less hours day to day in just one year. I don't like the thought of paying increased ticket prices for one third less park time.

In fact, the only time we'll see evening EMH at the Magic Kingdom in December 2015 will be on Wednesday nights, and they are closing the park two hours earlier than last year (10pm vs. midnight) to counter that, so there are no hours gained for onsite guests.

December 2014 hours
December 2015 hours

They always get extended the closer we get. Has happened every year since I have been going in December. :)

Last edited:

I hope someone can help me with our December plans! We are DL vets and I'm trying to plan our first WDW trip and am a bit lost to be honest. The amount of planning needed for WDW compared to DL is insane. For DL, all I need to worry about is getting a hotel, flights and our park hoppers and that is it. We usually make one dinner reservation but those can be made right at the last minute.

Is there any way someone can look over my tentative plan and give me some hints on where I might be going awry?

We arrive late in the afternoon on Dec 9th so our park days are Dec 10-15, checking out on the 16th and likely heading to the Kennedy Space Centre right after we check out. We are not doing park hoppers and prefer to focus on things in WDW that we can't do in DL/DCA. We are renting DVC points and staying at AK - Jambo. No plans to do any character meals.

Dec 10:
DHS with possibly seeing F! that evening.

Dec 11:
AK, possibly seeing the parade

Dec 12:
Epcot, maybe IllumiNations

Dec 13:
MK, probably try and see the 3pm parade

Dec 14:
DHS, dinner at California Grill then watch Wishes from the viewing area at the Contemporary.

Dec 15:
AK

Any thoughts on our tentative plan, is there anything that we really MUST do, see or eat?

Thanks!

I hope someone can help me with our December plans! We are DL vets and I'm trying to plan our first WDW trip and am a bit lost to be honest. The amount of planning needed for WDW compared to DL is insane. For DL, all I need to worry about is getting a hotel, flights and our park hoppers and that is it. We usually make one dinner reservation but those can be made right at the last minute.

Is there any way someone can look over my tentative plan and give me some hints on where I might be going awry?

We arrive late in the afternoon on Dec 9th so our park days are Dec 10-15, checking out on the 16th and likely heading to the Kennedy Space Centre right after we check out. We are not doing park hoppers and prefer to focus on things in WDW that we can't do in DL/DCA. We are renting DVC points and staying at AK - Jambo. No plans to do any character meals.

Dec 10:
DHS with possibly seeing F! that evening.

Dec 11:
AK, possibly seeing the parade

Dec 12:
Epcot, maybe IllumiNations

Dec 13:
MK, probably try and see the 3pm parade

Dec 14:
DHS, dinner at California Grill then watch Wishes from the viewing area at the Contemporary.

Dec 15:
AK

Any thoughts on our tentative plan, is there anything that we really MUST do, see or eat?

Thanks!
Not sure if you have used the crowd calendars or not but here is one of our favorites: http://www.easywdw.com/category/calendar/12-december-2015-crowd-calendar/

For the most part you are fine except maybe switching your first two days - but again not critical since you have more than one day at each park.

Everyone has different favorites so just take it all in. I'm not sure of all the differences in rides between WDW and DL so I can't be a lot of help there. I might make sure to do a monorail resort hop and check out the holiday decorations and some signature dishes like Tonga Toast at the Polynesian which you can get at Capt. Cooks QS restaurant. WDW is so much more than just the parks so I would allow time for that as well.

Not sure if you have used the crowd calendars or not but here is one of our favorites: http://www.easywdw.com/category/calendar/12-december-2015-crowd-calendar/

For the most part you are fine except maybe switching your first two days - but again not critical since you have more than one day at each park.

Everyone has different favorites so just take it all in. I'm not sure of all the differences in rides between WDW and DL so I can't be a lot of help there. I might make sure to do a monorail resort hop and check out the holiday decorations and some signature dishes like Tonga Toast at the Polynesian which you can get at Capt. Cooks QS restaurant. WDW is so much more than just the parks so I would allow time for that as well.

Thanks for the advice!

I was using the crowd calendar in the first post on this thread. The main reason I put AK on the second day is that we are staying at Jambo and AK has EMH that day. I figured that if there was any park to try and take advantage of the extra hour, it would be AK since we are closest to that park.

Sunday @ MK is a short day because of MVMCP which we were not planning on attending. I thought that if there were things at MK that we missed, we could always go back on one of the other two days instead of spending a second day at either DHS or AK. I was also going to try and get an ADR at either Jiko or Sanaa.

We always take a midday break when we are at DL, our son is ASD so he tends to need some down time in the afternoon. I'm hoping that he can go all day at WDW if we take it easy and no rush around too much but we will have to play it by ear with that.

For those who have done this before, how hard is it really to go back to the hotel for a break then go back to the parks? Will we really need an hour and a half travel time park to room? :worried:

Thanks again!

I have not looked at park day order, but wanted to suggest you consider 2 days at Epcot instead of 2 at either HS (what I would pick, as you are at AKL) or AK. It is really really different than DL. Although HS is a different set up, there are more crossover rides there that you will have seen (TOT, ST, TSMM), and not much else to ride. Unless you want to see lots of the shows, I don't think you will need 2 days. Epcot being split into 2 worlds is really big. That was my biggest surprise having grown up in CA and picturing it in my mind. You should plan 2 hours total travel time when you evaluate if breaks are worth it. Meaning, you probably should pencil in a good 4 hour block if you want it to work as a rest. (Which I do recommend!) Counter service restaurants tend to be more crowded in the parks than DLR. If crowds and lines bother you (or your son), consider making ADRs or try the counter service at resorts. Just my 2 cents!

I'm hoping for updates on the calendar soon! Any predictions on when they might be released? I think that I remember reading on Easy WDWs blog for last December that the hours were updated on December 18. I really want to compare Easy WDW recommendations with TP before booking our ADRs in 14 days!!! Wow!! Can't believe that in 14 days, I will be making ADRs! I'm so excited for our trip!

Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

Here is a serious question about the holiday party:

With a child who is autistic and not a huge fan of meeting characters or waiting in crowds for parades...would the party still be a must do?

No sarcasm at all but DH and I are seriously debating the party. DS is good with navigating DL, we've gone 7 times in the past 4 years so we know a bit of what we are looking at with crowds and lines but we know his limits and do what we can to minimize his stress.

If this is our only WDW trip, given our son and his challenges, would to still do the party?

Thanks!

I'm hoping for updates on the calendar soon! Any predictions on when they might be released? I think that I remember reading on Easy WDWs blog for last December that the hours were updated on December 18. I really want to compare Easy WDW recommendations with TP before booking our ADRs in 14 days!!! Wow!! Can't believe that in 14 days, I will be making ADRs! I'm so excited for our trip!

We must be going at the same time! My ADR time opens in 13 days! Our first time at Christmas!

Here is a serious question about the holiday party:

With a child who is autistic and not a huge fan of meeting characters or waiting in crowds for parades...would the party still be a must do?

No sarcasm at all but DH and I are seriously debating the party. DS is good with navigating DL, we've gone 7 times in the past 4 years so we know a bit of what we are looking at with crowds and lines but we know his limits and do what we can to minimize his stress.

If this is our only WDW trip, given our son and his challenges, would to still do the party?

Thanks!
No - it is not a must do if it is more likely to push his limits. There are so many wonderful parts of WDW that have a holiday atmosphere away from the crowds and the waiting. I would suggest doing some resort hopping to see the various decorations if he would be up to that. Also, maybe watching the fireworks from somewhere outside the park like the beach at the Polynesian might be a nice compromise. There is also a sleigh ride at Fort Wilderness. The campers there really go all out decorating their sites for Christmas. (There is also a less expensive wagon ride but you may end up waiting in line where the sleigh ride can be booked for your family specifically at a certain time) We have not done it but I believe you can also watch the Electric Water Parade from the beach at Fort Wilderness and maybe the fireworks??? OP maybe can comment on that.

No - it is not a must do if it is more likely to push his limits. There are so many wonderful parts of WDW that have a holiday atmosphere away from the crowds and the waiting. I would suggest doing some resort hopping to see the various decorations if he would be up to that. Also, maybe watching the fireworks from somewhere outside the park like the beach at the Polynesian might be a nice compromise. There is also a sleigh ride at Fort Wilderness. The campers there really go all out decorating their sites for Christmas. (There is also a less expensive wagon ride but you may end up waiting in line where the sleigh ride can be booked for your family specifically at a certain time) We have not done it but I believe you can also watch the Electric Water Parade from the beach at Fort Wilderness and maybe the fireworks??? OP maybe can comment on that.

Thank you so much for this advice! We really have been debating the party back and forth and my gut instinct was to pass on it but DH was not so sure. I love the idea of the sleigh ride, although being from Canada a sleigh ride in December in Florida just seems like a funny thing! :beach:

I am starting to feel a bit calmer about the planning although our ADR date is on Friday and I'm still not sure how many reservations we want to make or where or when! :confused3

Hello everyone! I totally might've missed it - and I apologize if that's the case. I know that the schedule for the Candlelight Processional isn't out yet; however does anyone know an approximate date for the release? We want to get the lunch or dinner package with this viewing, but I'm wondering how it works if 180 days out we reserve lunch or dinner at a participating restaurant, but the schedule isn't out yet. Any help is appreciated!

OH! And we're going Dec 13-19. It'll be the first time we're at WDW for Christmas. DH and I are excited! :santa:

Hello everyone! I totally might've missed it - and I apologize if that's the case. I know that the schedule for the Candlelight Processional isn't out yet; however does anyone know an approximate date for the release? We want to get the lunch or dinner package with this viewing, but I'm wondering how it works if 180 days out we reserve lunch or dinner at a participating restaurant, but the schedule isn't out yet. Any help is appreciated!

OH! And we're going Dec 13-19. It'll be the first time we're at WDW for Christmas. DH and I are excited! :santa:
Based on what I have read is we can anticipate an announcement regarding CP in early July. I also have read that you cannot "switch" a previous restaurant to the CP package. You would have to cancel and then make a new CP reservation. Hopefully OP will have experience with this. Just sharing what I have read so far as we too are waiting.

Based on what I have read is we can anticipate an announcement regarding CP in early July. I also have read that you cannot "switch" a previous restaurant to the CP package. You would have to cancel and then make a new CP reservation. Hopefully OP will have experience with this. Just sharing what I have read so far as we too are waiting.
Thank you so much! Will be keeping an eye out. :)

We must be going at the same time! My ADR time opens in 13 days! Our first time at Christmas!

That's great!! You will love it!

I can't believe that it's going to be time to make ADRs so soon! I've got to do some serious planning. I have been holding off a bit waiting to see if the calendar is updated. We aren't making too many because we are on the QSDP. We are going to pay for CP and 1900 Park Fare out of pocket and are hoping for BOG lunch and maybe a BOG breakfast if they extend it. Still we need to try to plan out our days so we know what days to book them. It's very exciting!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter