Debt Dumpers - 2016

I have some questions for those who are good at budgeting. We don't have a lot of debt but also need to do better about saving. I think I recall reading here that some of you use different accounts for budgeting, and I think Capital 360 accounts in particular might have been mentioned . . . Can someone fill me in on this? We don't use cash hardly at all so envelopes are out, but having different accounts for different needs might work, especially if money can be moved in and out on line.

I have multiple accounts, and at multiple banks, and use "dummy" accounts. At my primary bank, I have 2 checking accounts, and 1 saving account. Transfers between them are essentially instantaneous - it will show as a "pending internet transaction" immediately, but the reconciled balance does not update until that night. But that is just my bank, it is a local bank, so Capitol 360 might do things differently. I also have a checking and saving account each at two other banks. (7 accounts total - "Checking", "Saving", "Vacation Account", "Amazon", "Dayvewc Savings II", "Credit Union Checking", and "Credit Union Saving")

What happens is, my checks are direct deposited into my primary bank primary checking account. Then, each week, I transfer a set amount to the other checking account (nicknamed "Vacation Account") that I use to pay for my vacation related expenses (timeshare maintenance fees, travel expenses, etc.). Also, each month, I use the bill pay and have the bank send a check to each of the other banks, where I split the funds between checking and saving, and do a scheduled internet transfer to the Saving account. One of the checking accounts I share with my sister, and it is our "Amazon Money" - we have a linked Amazon account and both tend to buy a lot of books for our Kindles. As well as a few movies that stay in the cloud and we can watch anywhere.

The other account is at a credit union where I used to live, and since I destroyed all my checks from there, and don't have a debit card, the only way I can access it is online or to go there in person (a 3 hour drive - one way). The money in the credit union is my actual emergency fund, as it takes a while to access it - even if I have them send me a check for the amount, it is a minimum 3-4 day process. That is enough time to determine if I actually NEED to use those funds, or if I can find a way to manipulate the funds I have in my other accounts. I keep both accounts active at the credit union simply because the savings account pays better interest than anywhere else, but I have to have the checking account to use the billpay in case I need a check from them, and if there is no activity for 3 months they charge a $5/month inactivity fee. So, the checks sent are deposited into one account, and the bulk is either moved to (or left in) the savings account, with a small amount placed in checking each month to keep it active.

The "Dayvewc Savings II" account has the minimum amount to qualify for free checking from that bank (a nation-wide bank, as I live in Arkansas and my sister lives in New Mexico), but I add to it to build up as my semi-emergency fund. Easier to access, since there are branches all over, but easier to just forget about it and let the funds grow.

The Saving account is my immediate emergency fund, as I can transfer fund and use them with my normal debit card pretty much immediately.

Additionally, I also use Quicken to track all my accounts, and set up several "dummy" cash accounts. These are for "Insurance", "Membership Fees", and "Christmas". Each month, I add a set amount to each account (the transfer amount is the new total that is in the account and the previous months transfer is deleted). This way, when I reconcile through Quicken, it shows that I have $XXXX amount as a non-cleared transaction for each account. That way, the balance Quicken shows me as available is significantly less than what the bank thinks I have, but it means when the bill comes due, I just deduct the amount of the bill from the next transfer. (For example, I "transfer" $150/month for insurance, so in March the "transfer" will be $750 and I will delete the February "transfer". Then in April, I will enter the "transfer" for $900 [$750 + $150], and delete the March "transfer", but when the insurance comes due at the first of May, I'll "transfer" $175 [$900 + $150 - $875]. It sounds more confusing than it really is. Each "transfer" is simply an entered line from my primary checking account in Quicken, and I handle it by having the set amount scheduled. Then, after the "transfer" is entered, I check the current balance and update the most recent transfer and delete the one previous).

Hope that helps, at least a little. And if you have questions (I'm sure I would get confused trying to just read this) feel free to ask. It works well for me, and lets me 1) save up for those periodic expenses like auto & life insurance, pest control, or Christmas in a method that easily lets me see how much I have at any time and 2) provides a cushion in my primary checking account should something unexpected happen (like forgetting to record the grocery bill) so I am not overdrafted.

Ok, so I have basically finished my taxes. I'm still waiting to see if a couple of last documents will show up, but they are 1099-INT forms for interest, and none of the accounts will have more than $10 in interest, so I am not even sure I will get a form. So, should I go ahead and file now, or wait another week just in case?

I think I'd go ahead and file. It's only $20 in interest earned. Unless you are right on the edge of your bracket, it won't change anything.

I gave up last year doing my own taxes. I've done them since 1988. The charges for Turbo Tax, filing fees, etc...nearly as much as having a CPA do my taxes and I don't have to spend hours at the computer (there are other computer stuff I'd rather do! ).

Tonight was my appointment. We're getting back, between Federal and state) around $3k. I will pay off my Capital One ($500), and my Am Ex ($1k). That leaves $1,500 for some stuff we need to do around the house. My only credit card will be Discover...about $6k, but I think I can chip away at it pretty quick by making weekly payments.

I'm pretty jazzed!

Well, I just received a pretty big blow. Just found out that my credits will not count for anything other than "electives" at my new school.. and I have met the elective requirement so, essentially, all those classes were useless and a waste of money. I've been looking to see if there is some way that I can request the count towards SOMETHING (an appeal), or if there is another distance learning program that will accept them but it is looking like it isn't going to work. I feel sick about it.

I gave up last year doing my own taxes. I've done them since 1988. The charges for Turbo Tax, filing fees, etc...nearly as much as having a CPA do my taxes and I don't have to spend hours at the computer (there are other computer stuff I'd rather do! ).

Tonight was my appointment. We're getting back, between Federal and state) around $3k. I will pay off my Capital One ($500), and my Am Ex ($1k). That leaves $1,500 for some stuff we need to do around the house. My only credit card will be Discover...about $6k, but I think I can chip away at it pretty quick by making weekly payments.

I'm pretty jazzed!

That is great!!! That's two less bills!!

Well, I just received a pretty big blow. Just found out that my credits will not count for anything other than "electives" at my new school.. and I have met the elective requirement so, essentially, all those classes were useless and a waste of money. I've been looking to see if there is some way that I can request the count towards SOMETHING (an appeal), or if there is another distance learning program that will accept them but it is looking like it isn't going to work. I feel sick about it.

So this means you have to start from scratch? How many classes will you have to retake?

Because of the bank holiday Monday, we got paid early. My checks are only $16 less than I estimated (after medical, dental, etc.) so I officially have a budget! Basically, instead of getting a bonus every 3 months, I get an extra $400 a check. I'm super excited!!!!!

I also received my desk assignment! I've got two pictures from Disney and my Disney photo mousepad already set up! I also got my new desk phone today and will start on my assignments today and then really get going next week. We've also got a great view of Lake Erie!

I've been sick so i might have to visit a doctor or clinic because I just keep getting worse, not better. The good thing? It would be reimbursed by my FSA and count towards my very low deductible!!!!! I have to call and get DS's heart monitor billed to the correct insurance and after his April neurologist appointment, he will have met his deductible and then everything else is covered at 90%!!!!!! It feels good knowing I won't go back into debt for this.

Now that I have a budget, I need to focus on savings and debt, which is very hard.

I have been cooking more so I'm saving a lot of money that way. its amazing to see my checking account with money in it!

Way to go everyone!!!!!!

I think I'd go ahead and file. It's only $20 in interest earned. Unless you are right on the edge of your bracket, it won't change anything.

I went online and added up all the interest, and I think it totals less than $5 across all the accounts. My biggest "concern" (?) is that there is something else I have forgotten about, and I'll get the documentation next week after I file and have to go back and file an amended return. Mostly I'm just paranoid, lol.

Because of the bank holiday Monday, we got paid early. My checks are only $16 less than I estimated (after medical, dental, etc.) so I officially have a budget! Basically, instead of getting a bonus every 3 months, I get an extra $400 a check. I'm super excited!!!!!

I also received my desk assignment! I've got two pictures from Disney and my Disney photo mousepad already set up! I also got my new desk phone today and will start on my assignments today and then really get going next week. We've also got a great view of Lake Erie!

I've been sick so i might have to visit a doctor or clinic because I just keep getting worse, not better. The good thing? It would be reimbursed by my FSA and count towards my very low deductible!!!!! I have to call and get DS's heart monitor billed to the correct insurance and after his April neurologist appointment, he will have met his deductible and then everything else is covered at 90%!!!!!! It feels good knowing I won't go back into debt for this.

Now that I have a budget, I need to focus on savings and debt, which is very hard.

I have been cooking more so I'm saving a lot of money that way. its amazing to see my checking account with money in it! <<<--- This. I'm waiting for this to happen for me!!

Way to go everyone!!!!!!

Yay!!! Sounds like you've got it going on!!!

So sorry!!! DH had something similar happen & ended up having to go for 2 extra semesters.

Last edited:

Oh my gosh that sucks!! Oh, I hope you can get them to accept the credits some how. Grrrr!!

I have 82 credit hours from a state college the first go around.. pretty sure those will transfer just fine. This second time, I was pursuing an Associates in Early Childhood Education. I chose this program because it was nearly all online. Decided (after working as an Instructional Assistant in a Kindergarten class) that teaching was my calling. My current school doesn't offer anything beyond an Associates for ECE.. so I began looking into other options. I figured with my previous credits and my current ones, I was pretty close to getting a Bachelor's in Interdisciplinary Studies (I had hoped with an emphasis on ECE and Social Sciences.. based on my previous credits) and then planned to go on and get my Masters of Arts in Teaching so I could get certified to teach. This is basically going to set me back at least a year. Hoping that there might be a way I can get them to apply some of them. I mean, I took a Health and Nutrition class (got an A) and two different Child Development classes.. but they are saying they aren't compatible?? I don't know. So frustrating! :(

I have multiple accounts, and at multiple banks, and use "dummy" accounts. At my primary bank, I have 2 checking accounts, and 1 saving account. Transfers between them are essentially instantaneous - it will show as a "pending internet transaction" immediately, but the reconciled balance does not update until that night. But that is just my bank, it is a local bank, so Capitol 360 might do things differently. I also have a checking and saving account each at two other banks. (7 accounts total - "Checking", "Saving", "Vacation Account", "Amazon", "Dayvewc Savings II", "Credit Union Checking", and "Credit Union Saving")

What happens is, my checks are direct deposited into my primary bank primary checking account. Then, each week, I transfer a set amount to the other checking account (nicknamed "Vacation Account") that I use to pay for my vacation related expenses (timeshare maintenance fees, travel expenses, etc.). Also, each month, I use the bill pay and have the bank send a check to each of the other banks, where I split the funds between checking and saving, and do a scheduled internet transfer to the Saving account. One of the checking accounts I share with my sister, and it is our "Amazon Money" - we have a linked Amazon account and both tend to buy a lot of books for our Kindles. As well as a few movies that stay in the cloud and we can watch anywhere.

The other account is at a credit union where I used to live, and since I destroyed all my checks from there, and don't have a debit card, the only way I can access it is online or to go there in person (a 3 hour drive - one way). The money in the credit union is my actual emergency fund, as it takes a while to access it - even if I have them send me a check for the amount, it is a minimum 3-4 day process. That is enough time to determine if I actually NEED to use those funds, or if I can find a way to manipulate the funds I have in my other accounts. I keep both accounts active at the credit union simply because the savings account pays better interest than anywhere else, but I have to have the checking account to use the billpay in case I need a check from them, and if there is no activity for 3 months they charge a $5/month inactivity fee. So, the checks sent are deposited into one account, and the bulk is either moved to (or left in) the savings account, with a small amount placed in checking each month to keep it active.

The "Dayvewc Savings II" account has the minimum amount to qualify for free checking from that bank (a nation-wide bank, as I live in Arkansas and my sister lives in New Mexico), but I add to it to build up as my semi-emergency fund. Easier to access, since there are branches all over, but easier to just forget about it and let the funds grow.

The Saving account is my immediate emergency fund, as I can transfer fund and use them with my normal debit card pretty much immediately.

Additionally, I also use Quicken to track all my accounts, and set up several "dummy" cash accounts. These are for "Insurance", "Membership Fees", and "Christmas". Each month, I add a set amount to each account (the transfer amount is the new total that is in the account and the previous months transfer is deleted). This way, when I reconcile through Quicken, it shows that I have $XXXX amount as a non-cleared transaction for each account. That way, the balance Quicken shows me as available is significantly less than what the bank thinks I have, but it means when the bill comes due, I just deduct the amount of the bill from the next transfer. (For example, I "transfer" $150/month for insurance, so in March the "transfer" will be $750 and I will delete the February "transfer". Then in April, I will enter the "transfer" for $900 [$750 + $150], and delete the March "transfer", but when the insurance comes due at the first of May, I'll "transfer" $175 [$900 + $150 - $875]. It sounds more confusing than it really is. Each "transfer" is simply an entered line from my primary checking account in Quicken, and I handle it by having the set amount scheduled. Then, after the "transfer" is entered, I check the current balance and update the most recent transfer and delete the one previous).

Hope that helps, at least a little. And if you have questions (I'm sure I would get confused trying to just read this) feel free to ask. It works well for me, and lets me 1) save up for those periodic expenses like auto & life insurance, pest control, or Christmas in a method that easily lets me see how much I have at any time and 2) provides a cushion in my primary checking account should something unexpected happen (like forgetting to record the grocery bill) so I am not overdrafted.

I have a line item in my checkbook software called "buffer." It's a couple hundred dollars that keeps me from ever bouncing anything. Usually I'll add another ten bucks to it with each pay. I have two savings accounts with Emigrantdirect that I have automatic transfers scheduled to. One is earmarked for vacations and one for Christmas. I have a savings account with my credit union that is an emergency fund. I have a regular checking and savings account at a local bank for General bill paying and spending money. Finally, I have a checking account at a different bank that I use for my Scentsy business. Profits that build up there I'll use for fun money or gifts.

In my checkbook I always round up to the nearest $. So if my debit was 1.10 then it rounds up to $2 deducted. It really adds up in the long run. I also used to deduct $20 a pay as a service fee and it just sits in the checking account too. I really need to transfer the funds to my savings.

I have 82 credit hours from a state college the first go around.. pretty sure those will transfer just fine. This second time, I was pursuing an Associates in Early Childhood Education. I chose this program because it was nearly all online. Decided (after working as an Instructional Assistant in a Kindergarten class) that teaching was my calling. My current school doesn't offer anything beyond an Associates for ECE.. so I began looking into other options. I figured with my previous credits and my current ones, I was pretty close to getting a Bachelor's in Interdisciplinary Studies (I had hoped with an emphasis on ECE and Social Sciences.. based on my previous credits) and then planned to go on and get my Masters of Arts in Teaching so I could get certified to teach. This is basically going to set me back at least a year. Hoping that there might be a way I can get them to apply some of them. I mean, I took a Health and Nutrition class (got an A) and two different Child Development classes.. but they are saying they aren't compatible?? I don't know. So frustrating! :(

I'm sorry to hear your news. Fingers crossed that you have a successful appeal. Be sure to point out that you want your graduate degree...and if this school offers the Masters, tell them in the appeal you plan to earn it from them. If you're going to spend more money with them, they may be more likely to see it your way.

I got my federal refund today and should get my state refund early next week. Scheduled the payment to pay off my first cc of the year plus a chunk on the second cc on my list! Love seeing those balances go to zero! Next month I'll be paid for an article I wrote and those extra funds will go toward the second cc as well. Hoping to have that one paid off by May or June, then I'll start diverting funds to savings to build up a down payment for my new to me vehicle I plan to get this fall.

I got my federal refund today and should get my state refund early next week. Scheduled the payment to pay off my first cc of the year plus a chunk on the second cc on my list! Love seeing those balances go to zero! Next month I'll be paid for an article I wrote and those extra funds will go toward the second cc as well. Hoping to have that one paid off by May or June, then I'll start diverting funds to savings to build up a down payment for my new to me vehicle I plan to get this fall.

YAY!!! Way to go!!

I just realized that you will be in DisneyLand a month before I am there. You've got to do a TR so I can start my vacation early, vicariously through you. ;-)

In my checkbook I always round up to the nearest $. So if my debit was 1.10 then it rounds up to $2 deducted. It really adds up in the long run. I also used to deduct $20 a pay as a service fee and it just sits in the checking account too. I really need to transfer the funds to my savings.

I do this too! It really does add up more than you would think. What I do is on the first of each month I go back and reconcile my account and whatever the "bonus" is from rounding up I do two things. 1) I go buy myself a Starbucks - it's a splurge I gave up a while back ;) 2) I put the remaining as my first snowball payment of the month. It has really proven to be a great motivator starting the month off like that.

Okay, so not related to debt dumping (but still related to saving money). I was wondering if anybody knows for certain if you can buy the discounted DVC park ticket paying with your Disney Vacation Account?

YAY!!! Way to go!!

I just realized that you will be in DisneyLand a month before I am there. You've got to do a TR so I can start my vacation early, vicariously through you. ;-)

Thanks, it kind of made my weekend to set up that payment! :)

Lol - I haven't even finished my TR from our September trip to WDW but this is a much shorter trip and hopefully I won't get sick during it... so, sure - I will give a TR a whirl for this one! We are staying at the Grand Californian and will be going to the Dapper Days expo at the DL Hotel that Saturday. I'm excited! Oh, and I have enough gift cards saved up to pay for my park hoppers and Disney Visa card rewards will pay for any souvenirs plus snacks/drinks, etc. My parents always insist on paying for meals but I'm thinking my sister and I can hopefully convince them to let us pay for one meal. I'd really like to take them to Napa Rose for my dad's birthday dinner! It's nice that DL is much more laid back in terms of trip planning. You can't even make meal reservations until 60 days out and they don't book up right away for the most part.

This is going to be a bit long winded...but bear with me!!

When the kids were 4 and 2 (so, 9 years ago this summer) DH had the opportunity to attend a work conference in Paris and I went with him. We left the kids with my parents and were gone 9 days. We saw them in the morning of day one and the evening of day nine, so it was one full week with only a phone call to them at the half way mark. Leaving them when they were that small was rough but they had a great time with grandma and grandpa and DH and I had a total blast! In depth Paris on our own for a week. (We did a seven country European bus tour on our honeymoon and has less than 48 hours in Paris on that trip.)

The kids have never forgiven us for it! ALL of our vacations except that one have been as a family. And they never let us forget it! :rotfl2::laughing::rotfl:

They are in french immersion in school and have had an intense fascination with Paris dating back to that trip. I have been saving up for a London/Paris trip since the beginning of September. With most of our money going to Emergency savings and the down payment for a house...there's no ACTUAL money dedicated to vacations in our budget. I figured we would be able to go for about 10-12 days in the summer of 2017.

We always get a tax refund. It varies in amount but generally I think we should be able to expect about $2500 back this year. Back in the day, this money always went to debt. We always said it would go towards vacations once we cleared our debt but last year we put most of it into savings. This year we planned to save it all. It's bugging me though...since we used to say it would (and should) be fun money once our debts were discharged. But we made the house savings a priority this year, so that was the decision.

DD turns 13 at the end of July and is DESPERATE to celebrate her transition into her teens with this trip. She wants to be able to say, "I went to Paris the summer I turned 13." I love this. It's the kind of thing I would have wanted at her age. I honestly don't know if I can make it happen but I am determined to try.

So...I have two questions:

1. Would you be willing to share all your best frugal, cost cutting, money saving/making tips to see if there's anything I have overlooked to help raise this money faster than I currently am? I do a lot of things already, but I want to leave no stone unturned.

2. Should I take some of the tax refund and put it towards this trip? I really, really want to...and I feel like we owe it to ourselves. I am a little afraid to broach the subject with DH, not because I think he'll be upset about it, or even disagree really...I just can't seem to make up my own mind about it and if I have his stance one way or the other...the decision will be irreversible and I'm not ready to make that commitment yet.

I proof read this baby and all I could think of was...first world problems. :laughing:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter