Debt Dumpers - 2015

Happy Thanksgiving -- you're laid off!

DH got laid off today. :worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried:

Oh no! So sorry to hear this!! Was this completely out of the blue? It's always horrible to get laid off - but it's much worse at the holidays - and to do it the day before thanksgiving is even worse. Hugs to you and your family

So we got the test results back from the bronchoscopy for my dad yesterday. There is no sign of cancer in the lymph nodes!! Yay!! So the area that does have cancer will need radiation treatment - but we were so worried about the lymph nodes. Fingers crossed that the radiation takes care of everything and he won't need chemo!
Thanks to all of you for your support. It's still stressful but at least that's one piece of good news!!

Oh no!! Did you have any idea this was a possibility? I'm so sorry :worried::worried:

Oh no! So sorry to hear this!! Was this completely out of the blue? It's always horrible to get laid off - but it's much worse at the holidays - and to do it the day before thanksgiving is even worse. Hugs to you and your family

Thank you. I think DH was more suspecting than he let on to me. He is in construction and has the ability to move between companies, so he is sure it will be temporary. We will see. Either way it definitely derails Christmas.

Thank you. I think DH was more suspecting than he let on to me. He is in construction and has the ability to move between companies, so he is sure it will be temporary. We will see. Either way it definitely derails Christmas.

Hopefully he will find something soon!!

So we got the test results back from the bronchoscopy for my dad yesterday. There is no sign of cancer in the lymph nodes!! Yay!! So the area that does have cancer will need radiation treatment - but we were so worried about the lymph nodes. Fingers crossed that the radiation takes care of everything and he won't need chemo!
Thanks to all of you for your support. It's still stressful but at least that's one piece of good news!!
That's great news!!! :cheer2: :grouphug:
You must be so relieved. :hug:

Not sure if this is debt related (I guess so though!) we just changed our upcoming cruise from Alaska August 2016 to 7 night Bahamas January 2017. Alaska (on Disney) is already SO expensive, then add in our crummy CDN $ (which is predicted to go lower soon) and eventhough it's a 40th birthday celebration for both of us, we CANNOT justify in the end spending that much money. Even factoring in airfare to TX from Vancouver, this new cruise is still far less expensive. Shaved off even more by going from a Deluxe Inside back to a Standard inside. Hey, it'll be warm, we'll be up on deck and in the pools anyway :cool2:

Plus....this means we might be able to swing a week long trip to Maui in May...stay tuned :eek: Boy oh boy am I ever joining the 2016 Debt Dumpers thread, though!:earseek:
Oh my! I just checked out prices for Alaska! :faint:
We sailed there in 2012 and I'm so glad we did back then. For what they want for a Navigator's Verandah cabin now, we got that plus an inside cabin across the hall for the kids. Really, the cruise fare is just a small part of it. We spent as much on excursions there as we typically would pay for a 7-nt cruise on the Magic. That was even with booking excursions on our own and prepaying in Feb or March to get 20% off. Back then the Onboard Booking perks were better; platinum cruisers would get $350 OBC per cabin from DCL for booking onboard plus our TA gives $200 per cabin as a thank you for booking with her. So x2 cabins, we had $1100 in OBC which paid for the train ride in Skagway for all 4 of us then dh took our boys on some ziplining over waterfalls type of thing which I opted out of. :scared1: That was free too with our OBCs.
Now they have cut the OBC way back so all CC members get the same ol $200. It's better than nothing but still....
Also the year we sailed Alaska was the one season they sailed from Seattle. This made the flights much less expensive. It made the time in ports much less so that's why they went back to sailing from Vancouver.
I would definitely look into another cruise line. We barely spent any time enjoying the usual DCL aspects of a cruise. I don't think we even stepped into the WD theater except to hear the naturalist give an informative talk about Alaska.
Don't give up on it though!!! Just find another cruise line. :thumbsup2

I am not a tax adviser, but to quote one of my college professors "(You) know just enough to be really dangerous". ;-)

In general, capitol gains tax rates are less than standard income tax rates - that has been part of the big political discussion for the past many years. People in the top tier income brackets make most of their money based on capitol gains, which are taxed at a 10 - 15% rate instead of the "normal" income rate of 20 - 35% for that amount of "earned income".

Not saying that you shouldn't hold back more than enough to cover the taxes, just that it might not be as bad as you think it could be. AND capitol gains are taxed based on the gain. So, if you "bought" the land from your father for $1000, and sold it for $1100, you would pay taxes on the $100 gain, at 10-15% so only $10-$15 dollars, not $110 - $165 based on the sale price. (In this example - only you know the actual amounts involved).

The fun part will be finding the documentation showing how much your dad "sold" the land to you and your sister for originally.
Well, you explained it a whole lot better than I did.:blush: I guess the reason I'm thinking it's such a high tax is that in my parents' situation, it's a shore house on the water so it's prime real estate. Also my dad works in construction so he designed it (with some of my input back in 11th grade!) and built most of it himself. I think he only paid to have the foundation dug, pilings set & drilling/testing for a water well. Oh and I guess to have concrete poured for driveway & walkways. So anyway it will be a huge difference between what he paid to have it built back in the mid 1980's vs. what it's worth now.

I didn't mean to scare the pp into thinking it would be a huge amount. It all depends on the value of the land. I would think all the documentation would be registered with the deed in the town hall. Isn't that part of closing costs?

Happy Thanksgiving -- you're laid off!

DH got laid off today. :worried::worried::worried::worried::worried::worried:

I'm so sorry to hear this. We have been there a few times too. It will get better!
Time to go into super-thrifty mode and really only spend on basic needs.
Is your dh handy? Can he do any side work? Even raking leaves for people who are unable/can't be bothered would help.
People around here easily charge $40-50 to have their gutters cleaned out which keep filling up with leaves. 3-4 houses per day in addition to unemployment will hold you over until he gets another job.
Good luck with his job searching & hang in there! :hug:

How did Thanksgiving go for everyone?And more importantly, did you spend any money on Black Friday pirate:

We took advantage of a Black Friday seat sale with Air Canada and we're going to Maui in May! $350pp, incl taxes, round-trip and non stop from Vancouver. No way were we going to find it cheaper!

How did Thanksgiving go for everyone?And more importantly, did you spend any money on Black Friday pirate:

We took advantage of a Black Friday seat sale with Air Canada and we're going to Maui in May! $350pp, incl taxes, round-trip and non stop from Vancouver. No way were we going to find it cheaper!
Thanksgiving was nice and I am feeling better enough to have had an outing every day. Not far; once to see a movie and go out to eat. I did some more online shopping this weekend since I'm sure I will still be exhausted for the next week or two. Got some good deals at Amazon but no huge BF specials. I'm starting back to work tomorrow but telecommuting full time for the next couple of weeks.

Nice Maui deal! Have never been to Hawaii, would love to go. My parents have been three times and love it.

That is an amazing price!:yay:

We booked our next cruise on Black Friday. They were offering Spa category rooms for LESS then an inside (and they are bigger then the window rooms!) + $200 onboard credit. Plus we are now bumped up to GOLD on CCL! It's for our 5 year anniversary:love:

That was really it. Between this and the fact that we are redoing the shower/tub in our guest bathroom (and removing and raising part of the ceiling), there was no other shopping for me!

Great deal on your plane tickets!

I shopped online, the poor dog is going to have a heart attack, when things start getting delivered.
I got a hard shell golf bag from ebags. Free shipping and a extra 25% off. Famous Footwear, my dd picked out a pair of boots she liked, but didn't buy them, so my son bought them thru me and I got her a pair is snow boots since she moved back to our area, they had buy one get one half price, another 20% off and free shipping. My husband ordered me a Food processor, it was a door buster, plus he got another 15% off and free shipping. I saw tomorrow Macy is having 30% off all orders-grrr.

I ordered a few things from Kirklands, the store is 50 miles away if I did ship to store, so
I sucked it up and paid shipping.

I had a Cnristmas Club account, but it is pretty depleted after this weekend.

Great deal on the Maui tickets!! And may will be here before you know it! I did end up going out Black Friday shopping - and I splurged on myself at the Kate Spade outlet and bought myself a purse and wallet - the whole time feeling bad about the splurge! I'm such a tight wad these days. Anyhow - my dad said he had no idea what to get me for Christmas so I joked and said you can buy me this and he said ok! But I did hit Yankee candle, Vera Bradley and Harry & David's also - and definitely did damage in those stores!!
Still have some Christmas shopping left - not much. Every time I think I'm done something else pops up!

That's awesome! We saw some of those prices and were tempted but with the dollar- ugg, and our US account is almost empty. We are tossing around possibly eastern Canada later in the year. We promised ourselves when we booked our DL trip that next year was going to focus on really getting the EF cushioned, DD's RESP, and saving to replace DHs Honda CRV as it could die anyway now (612,000km!) and we don't want to have any debt other than our mortgage, so will need the $ saved when the CRV decides to kick the bucket. Now if we do these, then maybe will see you in 2017 ;)

They do still have some of the killer Hawaii prices though!

We shopped on Black Friday but only got two small gifts. The rest was things for the house, new dishes and some new pillows. All from Kohl's. (Have I disclosed on here that I work for Kohl's? That's the main reason I always shop there, I get an employee discount on top of all their other sales/coupons.) So between that and the things I bought online last Monday, I have $75 in Kohl's cash to spend this week. We need 2 more sets of the dishes (they only had 6 sets in store of the colors we wanted and we want to have 8 place settings), and we want to get the girls a set of Magformers for Christmas. That will probably use it up. I really need to update my YNAB, I've been slacking on it for the last couple weeks and we've been doing a lot of spending. Oops.

We also have a closing date for the property my sister and I are selling - December 7th. So maybe I'll be getting a big fat check for Christmas!

I splurged a bit on DS for Christmas. He is enrolling in a pre-engineering program in high school which starts next year so I bought him an iPad mini. He currently has a school owned iPad but after middle school it's gone. I feel like if I gave him an iPad I wouldn't have to give mine up! He does use it often for school now so I feel like it was a good investment for the price. He will receive one video game, one blu Ray disc set, a case for the iPad, and Xbox live gift cards all of which were bought at a steep discount. Other than that he gets clothes. I only need to buy him a Disney gift card for our upcoming trip. I still feel like I should cancel this trip but it's the only thing holding me together. I've decided if I can't pay for the trip in cash by the due date I will cancel and reschedule.

I also only splurged on myself and it cost me $35! I bought two sweaters and a new pair of slippers. I slip in the laundry room in my current ones and hurt my back catching myself from falling. This has happened more than once!

On the good news front I have an interview! It happens tomorrow, if I get this job it may not be more money but it will have potential for more money, more vacation time, and better benefits. I haven't told a lot of people but mostly because not a lot of people know I'm interviewing elsewhere. I'm so excited but so nervous!!!!

I need to get back to dumping debt and saving more. My car still needs work but since it's not super urgent I'm waiting until I know if I get this job before fixing it. If I get this job I will have a slightly longer commute and my car will need to be in good shape for the winter.

I splurged a bit on DS for Christmas. He is enrolling in a pre-engineering program in high school which starts next year so I bought him an iPad mini. He currently has a school owned iPad but after middle school it's gone. I feel like if I gave him an iPad I wouldn't have to give mine up! He does use it often for school now so I feel like it was a good investment for the price. He will receive one video game, one blu Ray disc set, a case for the iPad, and Xbox live gift cards all of which were bought at a steep discount. Other than that he gets clothes. I only need to buy him a Disney gift card for our upcoming trip. I still feel like I should cancel this trip but it's the only thing holding me together. I've decided if I can't pay for the trip in cash by the due date I will cancel and reschedule.

I also only splurged on myself and it cost me $35! I bought two sweaters and a new pair of slippers. I slip in the laundry room in my current ones and hurt my back catching myself from falling. This has happened more than once!

On the good news front I have an interview! It happens tomorrow, if I get this job it may not be more money but it will have potential for more money, more vacation time, and better benefits. I haven't told a lot of people but mostly because not a lot of people know I'm interviewing elsewhere. I'm so excited but so nervous!!!!

I need to get back to dumping debt and saving more. My car still needs work but since it's not super urgent I'm waiting until I know if I get this job before fixing it. If I get this job I will have a slightly longer commute and my car will need to be in good shape for the winter.

Good luck on your interview! I have been thinking about you. I'm also in a job that I'm really not enjoying at all. Fortunately it's a one year position, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but it's still pretty miserable right now. I understand your feelings that maybe it isn't the best time for a Disney trip, but honestly sometimes you just have to cut yourself some slack and go! I'm really trying to see if there's a way DH and I could sneak in a quick weekend trip in the spring, but I also really want to save up the money to take DH's parents and brother and my mom in 2017, so I'm trying to fight the urge.

Good luck on your interview! I have been thinking about you. I'm also in a job that I'm really not enjoying at all. Fortunately it's a one year position, so there is a light at the end of the tunnel, but it's still pretty miserable right now. I understand your feelings that maybe it isn't the best time for a Disney trip, but honestly sometimes you just have to cut yourself some slack and go! I'm really trying to see if there's a way DH and I could sneak in a quick weekend trip in the spring, but I also really want to save up the money to take DH's parents and brother and my mom in 2017, so I'm trying to fight the urge.

Thanks! I feel like I blew it but I was so nervous! It was 46 degrees and rainy and I couldn't wear a coat I was sweating so bad. I will know for sure in a couple of days but I'm trying to not get my hopes up. I'll just keep applying for jobs elsewhere. I cried on my way to work today, in addition to crying all day Sunday. I just need a new job!

Good luck fighting the urge! I get that urge and sometimes I just want to scream because my bank account is so low and I can't go lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter