Debt Dumpers - 2015

My dh company has an offer for us, where we can sign up for $1.00 a week and if we end up with identity theft, they would take care of it all for us. With everything you are going thru-would this service be something that you would have been interested in. My dh company employee's over 6000 people. If everyone signed up, this company would be making $6,000 a week. Throughout the years, I have had a few of my credit card numbers stolen and used-(my Disney Chase) and also my debit card 15 years ago, when they first came out. I am really on the fence with this. Yes, they would take care of everything, but I think as a (consumer) I would still have to put a lot of time and effort dealing with this. To me, it seems like someone figured out how to make money with people getting ripped off by identity theft. I can see people that don't have the time and effort, yet you still are going to have to do some of the leg work.

This is my thought too - my mom went and signed up last night to life lock and it's like $20 a month and their supposed to handle everything but I can't see how they can do all the leg work - it's your identity and you would still have to talk to the companies to verify fraud and do the paperwork

Well it seems that I am now a victim of identity theft what a mess this is - credit cards have been opened and charged to my name. Ugh - just felt like venting. Anyone else have this happen to them? I'm pretty ticked off that the stores let them open the accounts and charge on the spot. I mean unless they made a fake id up to prove their identity - but the one place they opened the account in Ohio and I'm in delaware - kind of a red flag there.
I contacted all the credit agencies to put a fraud alert on my accounts and have also filed a report with the federal trade commission. Tomorrow I have to file the police report - and every card and bill that comes in the mail I then have to contact them and report fraud and fill out a ton of paper work. What a bad week
Oh - and to top it off I'm in the middle of trying to refinance my home - luckily they already received a copy of the credit report but I guess I will contact them tomorrow just to let them know of the identity theft in case they get a red flag notice from the ftc.
Sorry for such a long vent - just really angry and ticked off

Oh my god, that's friggin' ridiculous!!! I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this :sad2::sad2:

I had logged on to my credit karma account and say hard inquiries that I didn't request so I called all of them - then yesterday I received my new credit card from Macy's and there is over a $1k charge so I contacted them right away and they have to mail me fraud documents. I did file a report with the ftc and I called today and left a message with the state police to see about a police report. It says some police departments won't do anything - so before I make millions of copies and go there I want to make sure they will do the report. And I put a fraud alert on my credit report. What a mess!!!

This is just awful Gracie!!! Also sending prayers for you & your father!!

Thanks everyone for letting me vent! The state police called me back this afternoon and the officer filled out a report and actually just dropped it off to me at home. So sweet (and if I knew how cute he was I would've been a little more presentable!). Lol! I did tell him that I thought it was ridiculous that they tell you never to send your information in the mail but yet all these reports that I have to mail in have to have your full information including your social security number. I mean I know my information is hacked anyways but how crazy is that because it could get taken by someone else .

I wanted to give a heads up to those shopping for the deals for the holidays & those that like to stock up for future kids parties. The Disney store website has a lot of the kids cups, plates, silver ware, bowls, placemats marked down to $4& then they're buy 1 get 1 free, so they're $2 each if you get them in even multiples. So I got my kindergarten nephews each a Miles divided plate, bowl, silverware & thermos; my 2 yr old niece Frozen plate, bowl, Olaf silverware & place mate; my almost 2 yr old nephew Mickey plate, silverware, mug & placemat, infant niece a Minnie bowl, cup, silverware & placemat. So each gift was $8/kid!!!

I also got them each the Olaf trick or treat bag for $3.99, then 4 of the Olaf plastic cups with straws (the buy 1 get 1 free, so $2 each) for all but the infant, & plan to fill the bags with Christmas candy & candy canes. For the baby I'll add those Gerber snacks.

I got 2 extra Mickey plates & silverware, & 1 extra Minnie bowl & silverware to put up for baby shower gifts.

If you spend $75 it's free shipping & handling. Plus use your ebates, so I got 3% back.

Murphy came to see us this weekend. I had an appendectomy yesterday!

Friday night wasn't feeling well, figured I'd be ok in the morning. Wasn't. Did my thing, took a nap and woke up realizing this was just not normal for me. Went to an urgent care place about 4pm Sat, by 7pm we were at the ER and at 10pm I was admitted with early appendicitis and iv antibiotics. Apparently these days they don't always have to operate. But Sunday morning I wasn't feeling much better and I had a really great surgeon who says her primary decision is made by listening to the patient, not going strictly by labs and scans. So, out it came. I'm home now, but shuddering to think of what all this will cost. (Wasn't my main concern at first, of course, but now that I'm home and feeling like a human, I'm thinking about it) At least it's the end of the year and my personal deductible has been met. But 20% of a lot is still going to be a lot. And on top of holiday time too. We'll figure it out because we always do, but quite unexpected.

Luckily, I had already done most of our Thanksgiving shopping and my parents were coming anyway so I don't need to travel and noting will go to waste. DH and my mom can cook and I can rest and do what I feel up to doing. Hope everyone has a great holiday.

Friday night wasn't feeling well, figured I'd be ok in the morning. Wasn't. Did my thing, took a nap and woke up realizing this was just not normal for me. Went to an urgent care place about 4pm Sat, by 7pm we were at the ER and at 10pm I was admitted with early appendicitis and iv antibiotics. Apparently these days they don't always have to operate. But Sunday morning I wasn't feeling much better and I had a really great surgeon who says her primary decision is made by listening to the patient, not going strictly by labs and scans. So, out it came. I'm home now, but shuddering to think of what all this will cost. (Wasn't my main concern at first, of course, but now that I'm home and feeling like a human, I'm thinking about it) At least it's the end of the year and my personal deductible has been met. But 20% of a lot is still going to be a lot. And on top of holiday time too. We'll figure it out because we always do, but quite unexpected.

Luckily, I had already done most of our Thanksgiving shopping and my parents were coming anyway so I don't need to travel and noting will go to waste. DH and my mom can cook and I can rest and do what I feel up to doing. Hope everyone has a great holiday.

You poor thing!! It always seems that Murphy comes at the most inconvenient times. Thankfully you went to the hospital and had it removed instead of it getting worse. Medical expenses always cause stress and worry - but you can go on a payment plan with no interest. Glad that you don't have to travel for thanksgiving and you will have some help cooking. Don't over due it either!! Make sure to rest!!

I wanted to give a heads up to those shopping for the deals for the holidays & those that like to stock up for future kids parties. The Disney store website has a lot of the kids cups, plates, silver ware, bowls, placemats marked down to $4& then they're buy 1 get 1 free, so they're $2 each if you get them in even multiples. So I got my kindergarten nephews each a Miles divided plate, bowl, silverware & thermos; my 2 yr old niece Frozen plate, bowl, Olaf silverware & place mate; my almost 2 yr old nephew Mickey plate, silverware, mug & placemat, infant niece a Minnie bowl, cup, silverware & placemat. So each gift was $8/kid!!!

I also got them each the Olaf trick or treat bag for $3.99, then 4 of the Olaf plastic cups with straws (the buy 1 get 1 free, so $2 each) for all but the infant, & plan to fill the bags with Christmas candy & candy canes. For the baby I'll add those Gerber snacks.

I got 2 extra Mickey plates & silverware, & 1 extra Minnie bowl & silverware to put up for baby shower gifts.

If you spend $75 it's free shipping & handling. Plus use your ebates, so I got 3% back.

That is a great deal you got!! I did a little more Christmas shopping today - no big deals. Just some gift cards. I do need to place an order this week to finish up with the gifts and then I only have to get giftcards and I am done! Woohoo!!

Hope you feel better soon Eureka & good thing you caught it when you did!

I have a couple bits of good news to share -

1. We finally got a check for $500 that we've been waiting on since September. Just in time for holiday shopping! I am trying hard not to succumb to all the good deals out there at this time of year and only buy what we need either for ourselves or for gift giving.

2. We finally have a buyer for some land that my dad left to me and my sister. He passed away last June, and we decided fairly quickly to sell the property, but it's been a slow process. It's not worth a whole lot but my half after expenses should be enough to pay off ALL of our credit card debt and have a little bit left over. I'm trying not to get too excited since its not 100% final yet, but it's hard not to be a little bit excited. I also need to figure out any tax implications; my dad signed the deed over to me and my sister some years ago, so we won't have to pay inheritance tax, but I'm sure it will affect my income taxes.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and is successful at resisting all those great Black Friday deals for things you don't really need! ;)

1. We finally got a check for $500 that we've been waiting on since September. Just in time for holiday shopping! I am trying hard not to succumb to all the good deals out there at this time of year and only buy what we need either for ourselves or for gift giving.

2. We finally have a buyer for some land that my dad left to me and my sister. He passed away last June, and we decided fairly quickly to sell the property, but it's been a slow process. It's not worth a whole lot but my half after expenses should be enough to pay off ALL of our credit card debt and have a little bit left over. I'm trying not to get too excited since its not 100% final yet, but it's hard not to be a little bit excited. I also need to figure out any tax implications; my dad signed the deed over to me and my sister some years ago, so we won't have to pay inheritance tax, but I'm sure it will affect my income taxes.

I hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving and is successful at resisting all those great Black Friday deals for things you don't really need! ;)
Thanks everyone. One thing is for sure, I will not be tempted to go shopping on Friday! Lol. Ava, that's awesome about the land sale and paying off your debt. We are in a similar boat in terms of taxes. My grandpa died in April and I got a small percentage of the sale of his house. Not sure how it will affect our income taxes either. DH says he will deal with it at tax time. All the money is in the kids' 529s or our newly-opened IRAs (opened with this money).

I hope that you feel better real soon eureka!!! Rest up this week!

That is a great deal you got!! I did a little more Christmas shopping today - no big deals. Just some gift cards. I do need to place an order this week to finish up with the gifts and then I only have to get giftcards and I am done! Woohoo!!

I'm very happy about my deals!!!

That is great news! It's always hard not to get excited about things like that!!

Eureka, that's pretty scary but I'm glad they/you caught it in plenty of time! Wishing you a speedy recovery:-)

Well it's a sad way to have your debt paid off but it must be a huge weight off of you to know it's coming soon. I'm no tax attorney but my dad's degree is in accounting & he has a shore house that he says if they sell it and it's not their primary residence, it's called Capital Gains Tax. And of course it's ridiculously high. Good luck that the sale goes through as planned. :goodvibes

T-mobile was on the list of hard inquiries but the application was denied. There was also SAMs club, Nordstrom, bjs - bjs did approve the credit card but there were no charges to it so as of right this minute the only one that they did charge to that I know of was Macy's - over $1k. I really hope this is the only one - I'm going to file the police report tomorrow and I think I will also contact the irs to let them know about the identity theft just in case they try to mess with my taxes. This is such a pain - and the absolute last thing I need to deal with as a few weeks ago my father was diagnosed with cancer - so dealing with cancer, a refinance and identity theft - I'm at my breaking point I feel. Thanks for letting me vent - oh and if you read identity theft stories in line it will scare the crap out of you - thinking you might end up in jail and things like that
Oh my I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with all of this! :hug::hug::hug: Maybe your dh can handle some of the documentation needed for the refi. We did it twice in the last 5 years through our same mortgage company and they made it so easy. Just fax some banking statements & pay stubs then get an appraisal. For the "settlement" process they sent a notary to our home at our convenience to have us sign a zillion papers and give us copies of all that we signed. We then had 3 days to review and cancel if we didn't agree to what we signed. It was pretty easy & hope yours is too.
As for the identity theft, don't you wanna just smack them in the head and tell them to get a job??!! arrrrgh! You work like a dog and some lazy schlep wants what you have. I hope you're able to get your name cleared and police can catch them.
More important than all of this I wish your dad the best of health when he's done his treatment.pixiedust:
In April it will be 22 years since my mom was first diagnosed & she's doing well.:cheer2: About to go on a 14-night Caribbean cruise.
My sister has been cancer-free for 4 years! Yay! :cloud9:
And my BIL has been cancer-free for 7 years.
They had WONDERFUL care not far from you in Philly. (You said you're in DE, right?) (Can I say?... Jefferson & HUP) Nothing but great things to say about the staff at both facilities.:thumbsup2
We recently learned that dh's nephew, only 30, was diagnosed with leukemia. He has a 3 yr old ds with autism and a step dd around 10. I feel so bad for all of dh's family. I plead with him to make some of his awesome chicken noodle soup for them. It won't fix all their problems but it's yummy comfort food and it's a good feeling just knowing someone cares & does something nice for you. :goodvibes
I'll say a little prayer for your dad. :goodvibes:hug:

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. It's scary when you're sick & don't know what's wrong. Hopefully you can get some online shopping done while you're home recuperating! :hug::thumbsup2

I'm glad to hear you're feeling better. It's scary when you're sick & don't know what's wrong. Hopefully you can get some online shopping done while you're home recuperating! :hug::thumbsup2

Funny you should say that...last night I was wide awake after sleeping most of the day and hit the Kohl's pre-Black Friday sale online. Picked up shirts and ties for DH and both Ds's, used a 15% coupon on top of some crazy good sales ($9.99 and $12.99 for men's dress shirts!) got free shipping and $15 Kohl's cash too.

Funny you should say that...last night I was wide awake after sleeping most of the day and hit the Kohl's pre-Black Friday sale online. Picked up shirts and ties for DH and both Ds's, used a 15% coupon on top of some crazy good sales ($9.99 and $12.99 for men's dress shirts!) got free shipping and $15 Kohl's cash too.

Sounds like a great deal! I hope that you used ebates too!

Sounds like a great deal! I hope that you used ebates too!
Nope, I don't really shop online much so I don't really use them. Oh well.

I have, however, watched two great documentaries :) . "I am Big Bird" about Caroll Spinney, and "Exporting Raymond" about bringing the show Everybody Loves Raymond to Russia.

Well it's a sad way to have your debt paid off but it must be a huge weight off of you to know it's coming soon. I'm no tax attorney but my dad's degree is in accounting & he has a shore house that he says if they sell it and it's not their primary residence, it's called Capital Gains Tax. And of course it's ridiculously high. Good luck that the sale goes through as planned. :goodvibes

Oh my I'm so sorry to hear you're dealing with all of this! :hug::hug::hug: Maybe your dh can handle some of the documentation needed for the refi. We did it twice in the last 5 years through our same mortgage company and they made it so easy. Just fax some banking statements & pay stubs then get an appraisal. For the "settlement" process they sent a notary to our home at our convenience to have us sign a zillion papers and give us copies of all that we signed. We then had 3 days to review and cancel if we didn't agree to what we signed. It was pretty easy & hope yours is too.
As for the identity theft, don't you wanna just smack them in the head and tell them to get a job??!! arrrrgh! You work like a dog and some lazy schlep wants what you have. I hope you're able to get your name cleared and police can catch them.
More important than all of this I wish your dad the best of health when he's done his treatment.pixiedust:
In April it will be 22 years since my mom was first diagnosed & she's doing well.:cheer2: About to go on a 14-night Caribbean cruise.
My sister has been cancer-free for 4 years! Yay! :cloud9:
And my BIL has been cancer-free for 7 years.
They had WONDERFUL care not far from you in Philly. (You said you're in DE, right?) (Can I say?... Jefferson & HUP) Nothing but great things to say about the staff at both facilities.:thumbsup2
We recently learned that dh's nephew, only 30, was diagnosed with leukemia. He has a 3 yr old ds with autism and a step dd around 10. I feel so bad for all of dh's family. I plead with him to make some of his awesome chicken noodle soup for them. It won't fix all their problems but it's yummy comfort food and it's a good feeling just knowing someone cares & does something nice for you. :goodvibes
I'll say a little prayer for your dad. :goodvibes:hug:

sounds like your family has been through a lot with cancer! Right now we're at the hospital - their getting ready to do a bronchoscopy on my dad to check one other area out - hopefully this is not cancer in the area their testing - if it is then the whole treatment plan will change - so keeping fingers crossed!
The refi is all me - no husband so it is pretty much at a standstill right now. The appraisal was done last Monday so just waiting on the report. I hate waiting - I am a very impatient person!! Lol. But all the papers were sent in to the lawyer that I picked so they can get moving on the title search. As of now I checked the box that we will be at the settlement but I'm pretty sure if something health wise were to prevent that then I could change that with the attorney. I wondered how they did that if you weren't present - glad to know they just send a notary to your house.
So far I haven't received anything else in the mail where inquiries were made or accounts were opened - hoping that is the only damage done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter