Debt Dumpers - 2015

Well, I have not been here in a LONG time ... I had found this board AFTER we had gone on our first (& I thought very last) Disney trip in 2012. Joined the budget board in hopes of being able to pay down my debt & afford another vacation some day. Unfortunately, I stopped getting the emails telling me someone responded. I tried logging in again & I would get the emails for a day or two, then they would stop. Eventually I just forgot about it. I was reminded last weekend when my MIL & I decided we ARE GOING AGAIN NEXT SUMMER!!!!! Last time they paid for everything, I did tell her we would pay our own way this time but they were so fun to go with the first time, my boys really loved hanging with their grandparents & grandpa went on ALL the rides. MIL wants to see the Diagon Alley addition at Universal ..... & I just had fun everywhere we went so somehow we are going to pay for ourselves. We have just over a year, we'll be going in July .....but I also have a son who just started driving ... insurance went up .... bought him a car (ouch) .... & college in a couple of years. It will be hard but I am determined & I know there is a lot of inspiration here!!!

Well, I have not been here in a LONG time ... I had found this board AFTER we had gone on our first (& I thought very last) Disney trip in 2012. Joined the budget board in hopes of being able to pay down my debt & afford another vacation some day. Unfortunately, I stopped getting the emails telling me someone responded. I tried logging in again & I would get the emails for a day or two, then they would stop. Eventually I just forgot about it. I was reminded last weekend when my MIL & I decided we ARE GOING AGAIN NEXT SUMMER!!!!! Last time they paid for everything, I did tell her we would pay our own way this time but they were so fun to go with the first time, my boys really loved hanging with their grandparents & grandpa went on ALL the rides. MIL wants to see the Diagon Alley addition at Universal ..... & I just had fun everywhere we went so somehow we are going to pay for ourselves. We have just over a year, we'll be going in July .....but I also have a son who just started driving ... insurance went up .... bought him a car (ouch) .... & college in a couple of years. It will be hard but I am determined & I know there is a lot of inspiration here!!!

Welcome back!! Welcome HOME :)

This is a great thread, everyone is very open and honest with their opinions and experiences and there is never any snark or judgement. I joined in 2013 shortly before our August trip that year but wasn't very active on the boards (mostly stuck to the disneyland boards) so when it came time to booking our current trip I had forgotten my login! So I created a new one and I find I am way more active on all the boards (not just DL and cruising) and I think I'm a Disboard member for life now ;-)

Sometimes planning the trip is almost as much fun as taking it so enjoy the ride until July 2016!

Wow, I want to move to Canada! ;) I will be visiting Victoria, BC this July!

I will also be picking up over 20 hours of overtime this next week so that'll be going toward cc payments as well. Baby steps!

Great minds think alike, I have 3 extra shifts I'm working for my 2 wk pay period, 2 days this wk & 1 day next wk. I had 1 extra day this last pay period that will be on my check Friday! Yea!!! I trying to stock back up my emergency fund after the taxes assaulted it earlier this month...:rotfl2:

:welcome:

Thank you!! We are all excited!! Now .... to get serious about dumping this debt!! I started a debt blog about 2 years ago ... mainly to keep myself accountable & to meet others trying to get out of debt. I definitely haven't done as well as I could have or should have. Now .... I have motivation!

Welcome back!!

Yay! I did it!
I cancelled the FD res that I couldn't resist before. I was so tempted since ds15 & I have the time off for a 4-day weekend and we have enough SWA points to fly for free.
I tried to justify it by saying we're not taking a summer vacation but I finally regained my strength to stay focused and keep paying down our debt.
With dh's OT I was able to bump up our final cc debt payment date to Dec 3 from Dec 10. Hopefully I can keep paying extra and move it to November!

Last edited:
Yay! I did it!
I cancelled the FD rea that I couldn't resist before. I was so tempted since ds15 & I have the time off for a 4-day weekend and we have enough SWA points to fly for free.
I tried to justify it by saying we're not taking a summer vacation but I finally regained my strength to stay focused and keep paying down our debt.
With dh's OT I was able to bump up our final cc debt payment date to Dec 3 from Dec 10. Hopefully I can keep paying extra and move it to November!

WTG!

I can't help myself either, I always price out a trip with FD and then try to convince myself that it's not "that much" more than we'd pay staying offsite in a condo and making most meals, but eventually I come to my senses and realize that it's still a heck of a lot more than we want to spend.

Yay! I did it!
I cancelled the FD rea that I couldn't resist before. I was so tempted since ds15 & I have the time off for a 4-day weekend and we have enough SWA points to fly for free.

Way to go!! Maybe you and your son can do something cheap and fun as a day trip near you.

Ugh, got a $500+ bill from my physical therapy place and some of the visits aren't even included on it. When my deductible re-started at the beginning of the year, they didn't increase the amount of co-insurance they collected, so my balance grew quickly. Apparently they don't bill patients until their treatment is finished, but I'd have rather known about it sooner. I set up a payment plan with them over the next few months, and there's no interest, so that's good.

We recently paid off one credit card but our cell phone bill more than doubled (upgraded me and ds14 to smartphones) so I need to reorganize to see where this payment will come from. Luckily, our electric company even payment plan readjusted itself this month to make up some of the difference from the phone bill.

All in all, we're doing fine but I just wasn't expecting the shock of that bill. It's always something, just when you think you're on an even keel.....

Ugh, got a $500+ bill from my physical therapy place and some of the visits aren't even included on it. When my deductible re-started at the beginning of the year, they didn't increase the amount of co-insurance they collected, so my balance grew quickly. Apparently they don't bill patients until their treatment is finished, but I'd have rather known about it sooner. I set up a payment plan with them over the next few months, and there's no interest, so that's good.

We recently paid off one credit card but our cell phone bill more than doubled (upgraded me and ds14 to smartphones) so I need to reorganize to see where this payment will come from. Luckily, our electric company even payment plan readjusted itself this month to make up some of the difference from the phone bill.

All in all, we're doing fine but I just wasn't expecting the shock of that bill. It's always something, just when you think you're on an even keel.....

I know what you mean - just when you think your ahead of the game something unexpected comes along. Drives me crazy!! I still (have been for months) toss around the idea of getting rid of my smartphone just to save the extra money each month.

So... I found a really good deal on a room at POFQ for Labor Day week and booked it! I will still be able to pay off the two cc's when my house closes in June but decided I need to celebrate getting rid of it and doing so well on my debt dumping all year. My parents will be joining me which will be nice! My parents are opening a Disney cc to get the $200 bonus gift card (I get a $50 gc for referring them) so we'll have some extra spending money for the trip. I needed something to look forward to and am able to do this trip without derailing my debt dumping. So excited!!

Yay! I did it!
I cancelled the FD res that I couldn't resist before. I was so tempted since ds15 & I have the time off for a 4-day weekend and we have enough SWA points to fly for free.

That's so awesome that you've moved up your pay off date! Great job!

I hate unexpected medical bills! They sneak up on you! That's so nice you could do an interest free payment plan. I just got one in the mail myself, they told me it would be around $150 after insurance, I got the bill it's $175 plus then I got a 2nd bill for $34 from the radiologists to read it. All from a neck ache, ugh.

So... I found a really good deal on a room at POFQ for Labor Day week and booked it! I will still be able to pay off the two cc's when my house closes in June but decided I need to celebrate getting rid of it and doing so well on my debt dumping all year. My parents will be joining me which will be nice! My parents are opening a Disney cc to get the $200 bonus gift card (I get a $50 gc for referring them) so we'll have some extra spending money for the trip. I needed something to look forward to and am able to do this trip without derailing my debt dumping. So excited!!

Congrats!! I walked through POFQ to use the boat to DTD, and really loved the smaller layout. I'm envious of your trip! Did you book it with that Magical travel agency that cannot be named? They keep emailing me about their Labor Day special. I used them for my 2013 WL stay & got an awesome deal with them.

Hmm... no I just took advantage of the room only discount offered through Disney and that week was the cheapest of the month. Now I'm wondering about this magical travel agency though! :hyper2:

I've never stayed at this resort before and am really looking forward to it!

You go!!

I probably shouldn't be taking vacations, but with 2 housemates paying bills (for the moment at least) I'm able to pay all the bills AND increase what I'm paying on my CC's and mortgage AND still have some left over. I should probably be building my emergency fund, but so far I've been following my 53 week saving challenge plus transferring $10 a month (not much, but better than nothing) to my savings account #1, and $15 a month each to savings accounts #'s 2 and 3.

So, since I have some additional points for my DVC use year starting in June, I'm planning a 5 day get-a-way during our educational association days. Right now, it's just in planning stage as I can't get all 4 nights reserved, but I have 3 of them and waitlisting the 4th night .... so if it comes through, I am taking that as the universes way of telling me I should go. :-)

Woohoo!! Hooray for last minute vacation planning! :)

I just changed our reservation since my parents want to stay one more night and also we're now staying at POR since it was only $2 more per night. I really liked it back when it was Dixie Landings and I think they'll like it a bit better than POFQ.

Hope your short getaway works out dayvewc! I definitely think it's worth going since you have the extra income from the roommates to cover it!

I'm a little overwhelmed and a little unfocused right now...

I've been bugging my DH for the past couple months for our bottom line for monthly expenses for when I got to PT in the fall (we haven't been super strict with our budget in a while, eating out is our biggest derailment) I was freaking out that we really can't afford it. We reworked our budget and it looks like we can live off of basically his income plus one of my pay checks (I get paid weekly) if we stay focused this is great but now I don't know what to do.

Originally our extra money was going to saving for me going back to school either next spring or fall '16, but now we need a new car. the original plan was to save 4-5k for a car but looking at prices that doesn't get us much newer then what we had if at all (we had an '04) so now we're thinking of either saving more and getting newer but that doesn't leave much towards school or putting 5k down and having a small car payment. Basically it's looking like either we have a car payment or more student loan debt which neither one of us wants. Even after I go PT well still be able to save a little bit but not nearly as much as we're we are now.

In theory we were wanting to take a small vacation next year but the more I look at the numbers I know it's just not realistic (stupid car! messes with all my plans) We have a DCL cruise planned for '18 with our best friends for our 15th anniversary (we got married the same year as them) so I guess well just have to wait for that but it just feels so far away. Sorry this is so long!o_O

I'm a little overwhelmed and a little unfocused right now...

I've been bugging my DH for the past couple months for our bottom line for monthly expenses for when I got to PT in the fall (we haven't been super strict with our budget in a while, eating out is our biggest derailment) I was freaking out that we really can't afford it. We reworked our budget and it looks like we can live off of basically his income plus one of my pay checks (I get paid weekly) if we stay focused this is great but now I don't know what to do.

Originally our extra money was going to saving for me going back to school either next spring or fall '16, but now we need a new car. the original plan was to save 4-5k for a car but looking at prices that doesn't get us much newer then what we had if at all (we had an '04) so now we're thinking of either saving more and getting newer but that doesn't leave much towards school or putting 5k down and having a small car payment. Basically it's looking like either we have a car payment or more student loan debt which neither one of us wants. Even after I go PT well still be able to save a little bit but not nearly as much as we're we are now.

In theory we were wanting to take a small vacation next year but the more I look at the numbers I know it's just not realistic (stupid car! messes with all my plans) We have a DCL cruise planned for '18 with our best friends for our 15th anniversary (we got married the same year as them) so I guess well just have to wait for that but it just feels so far away. Sorry this is so long!o_O

Car expenses are annoying!! Mine is getting ready to go back in the shop - something is going on with it - so we will see what they find. I really don't want to have to get a new car - hoping to hold out for at least two more years. Really hate car payments. Is there maybe a small weekend getaway you could plan that would be fairly inexpensive?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter