Debit cards? Visa?

Rroo

Mouseketeer
I have no idea what to take for money to Orlando, Debit card (PC financial), Visa or cash? Do most places (store, restaurants, etc.) accept Visa?
Do most places have debit machines? How much are ATM fees?

What did you take for money and what do you recommend?

Thanks!!

I have no idea what to take for money to Orlando, Debit card (PC financial), Visa or cash? Do most places (store, restaurants, etc.) accept Visa?
Do most places have debit machines? How much are ATM fees?

What did you take for money and what do you recommend?

Thanks!!

We take travelers cheques they are easier and if you don't have a TD account then debit is pretty much out of the question as they are the only Canadian bank with a system setup to be able to use your debit card in the US. As for Visa it is accepted but we prefer to not use ours we take x ammount of money when it is gone itis gone we do not take out more and we don't use our CC's.

When we used to bank with PC we had a lot of trouble using that bank card down south. Even though the machine is "supposed" to accept it and it is a CIBC card we found very few banks that would. We do not bank with them anymore so mabey someone who does can comment on if that is still a problem or not. We put everything on the credit card and paid it off when we got the statement. We set up a charge account with our KTTW card and that worked great. We always carried a couple hundred in cash in case of an emergency. If you only bank with PC I would suggest carrying a credit card and travellers cheques just to be safe. I was able to use my Calgary Credit Union card on WDW property. We did not go off property so I cannot comment on that.

We always take as much cash as we are comfortable carrying, and split it between DH and myself - each resort room has a safe, so we store extra there. If I think we're running low, I just visit the ATM - every resort has one near the gift shop/lobby - I believe the fee is $1.25. Otherwise, we just use our Visa card as it's pretty much accepted everywhere on Disney property.

I use my debit card (RBC) for big purchases, Visa for bigger purchases and carry a small amount of cash for incidentals. When I run out of cash I just go to the ATM. I found on our March trip that most places now accept Canadian debit cards.

I have herd of other people having problems with PC debit cards Visa is excepted all most Everyware Some debit cards can be used just like at home ( I have a TD card and it worked at most stores )when i get money from a bank machine i make shure it is a name brand machine as some no name ones can charge high fees .I allso usualy take several days worth at a time putting most of it into a second wallet that i dont take out in public that way others standing in line at checkouts dont know how much money you are carrying I no longer use travelers cheques as some some places dont take them

I was not able to use my PC Financial card anywhere. My advice is to use your Visa/Mastercard.

I prefer to use my credit card in the U.S because I don't have to pay bank fees etc. You just pay the exchange. Travellers cheques cost money to buy usually and not all places take them. Or finding somewhere to covert them to cash can be a pain.

We leave a MasterCard and charge everything we can to our room. We have had no problem using our PC card to take money from an ATM but I have never used it as a "debit" card for payment. We also usually take about $100 cash for miscellaneous.

I prefer to use my credit card in the U.S because I don't have to pay bank fees etc. You just pay the exchange. Travellers cheques cost money to buy usually and not all places take them. Or finding somewhere to covert them to cash can be a pain.

Actually anyplace at Disney and in the entire surrounding area is no problem at all we have never had an issue with them even during the drive down when we stop along the I-75 for gas. You do realize you are paying an additional 2.5% increase on foriegn exchange purchases on your Visa all banks charge it on their CC's. Also if you have a certain account at most banks your TC's are free. Same goes with certain visa cards from most banks the TC's are free if you have said Visa. With TD it is teh Gold Elite the Gold Travel and I think the Gold Select you have no fee TC's and I think teh same goes with the Aero Gold and Avion cards from RBC and CIBC.

We take travelers cheques they are easier and if you don't have a TD account then debit is pretty much out of the question as they are the only Canadian bank with a system setup to be able to use your debit card in the US. As for Visa it is accepted but we prefer to not use ours we take x ammount of money when it is gone itis gone we do not take out more and we don't use our CC's.

Both Scotiabank and Royal Bank debit cards can also be used in the U.S., as long as the debit system is part of the NYCE payment network. It is the same network that TD uses.

Travellers cheques or as a last resort we'll use our mastercard.

travellers cheques don't end up being more b/c of the surcharge on the exchange rate for the master card. If you belong to CAA then you don't pay a fee for travellers cheques.

I have also never had an issue having a place refuse to take a travellers cheque in Florida!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter