Dealbreakers- which attraction being down for refurbishment would make you reconsider visiting?

LizzyS

DIS Veteran
For me, the answer to this question would probably be some combination of my favorite rides. I don't think any one favorite would make me reschedule a trip, but in multiples, yes.

For me, I'd probably reschedule if The Matterhorn and Space Mountain were down at the same time.

I'm pretty bummed we're going to visit next month and the Railroad is down again, but we'll survive. We made a POINT to ride it last time we were at DLR when they only had two trains running and only part of the day. We waited quite a while at the station at NOS, lol.

For me, the answer is none. While certain attractions being down would be disappointing, especially, as you said, if the refurbs happen in multiples, there is so much more to DLR than rides. We would look for more opportunities to do things we never seem to have time for normally, like tours, special meals, premium events, people watching, etc. Some of the most magical things have happened when we weren't riding rides, so I would focus on that. After all, a day just walking around DLR is better than a day spent just about anywhere else!

I think it also depends on how often you visit. If we were able to visit several times a year then I'd not care if anything was done for one trip. But since we do well to visit once a year (since we have to fly from another country), I'd have to say Screamin' or Space would likely make us adjust our travel plans.

I think the answer here depends on the visitor. If this was my first visit, first visit in a long time, or I was with people who had never been...especially if they may never be back or won't be back for a long period of time...attractions being down could be a huge factor. We went for the first time back in December, and any combo of Matterhorn, Indy, IASW, and/or PotC being down would have made me seriously consider canceling.

Nothing would deter. I focus more on what's will be available. There is so much to see and do at both parks, plus Downtown Disney. I've been when Small World was down. Bummed. Pirates down, bummed. Indy down (all the time), bummed. But there's other stuff. I'll be there a few times over the next few months and I know tons of stuff is down due to Star Wars land being built. Ah well.

It took us until our last trip for IASW to not be down and we just got to ride BTMRR for the first time on our last trip.

My husband was not much of a fan of IASW (and, truthfully, I'm not a big one, either), though, so I doubt we'll be riding that one much in the future, lol.

None for me, but we have limited time when the kids aren't in school. We get a four day weekend that we stretch into six every May, and it's ideal. No holiday crowds and most kids are still in school. I'm willing to take lower crowd levels even if some of my favorites aren't available.

For me its not just one attraction. But if a group of rides that I like are down at the same time I will not go. I remember just before the 60th anniversary started a lot of rides were down at the same time for quite a while. It was so bad disneyland could have cut prices and it still would not have been worth the price of admission.

None for me, but if a big ugly wall was going to be up around ROA for a year plus then I wouldn't even consider renewing my AP. I'm much more interested in the ambiance than the rides. Thank goodness for coffer dams!

For us, it's Splash Mountain. We will not schedule a trip if we know Splash is down. We try to ride it as many times as we can each night before we leave when the lines are low. That said, we just upgraded to Annual Passes for this year so we would go if Splash is down sometime this year, knowing we could see it the next time. But when we are in the once every 1 or 2 years, we schedule around Splash. Many others would be a disappointment, but not a deal-breaker (Radiator Springs Racers, Big Thunder Mountain).

We usually plan our trips so far in advance that we rarely know which rides might be down. The one trip that I do remember feeling very disappointed was when BTMRR was down. It is my favorite and I was pretty bummed. We still had a GREAT time!

Not an attraction, but I had never seen Tinkerbell fly during the fireworks before our 2013 5k trip. They did fireworks and Tink flew before the early morning start of the run. We had probably waited for fireworks 10+ times over our other visits and they were all either cancelled or too windy for Tink. It really became a 'thing' for me. Dd had seen her one time when she went alone with my parents, but never me. We saw her twice on our July trip and I know I will feel a similar disappointment from now on when she doesn't fly. I cried when I saw her the first time at the run. I felt like I'd waited SO long and tried SO hard for that one DL event.

I don't think any closures would keep me away, but I feel pangs whenever Mansion, Pirates, and/or DLRR are down. 87-89 was a long, hard road without the trains while they were building Chickapin Hill. Needless to say, I'm glad they have trains available to "tour" at Main Street and NOS stations. And even though I don't always ride it, the Mark Twain whistle is the real Voice of Disneyland - I'm SUPER happy they're steaming her up as long as there's water in the RoA.

I would be disappointed if Tower of Terror was closed, but still would go and ride my other favorite rides ( California Screamin', Matterhorn, Splash Mountain, etc) over and over

For me, it would be POTC. It just wouldn't feel like Disney without it. HM and Splash M could almost make up for it, but I have to admit that it would feel like a wasted trip.

For me, it would be POTC. It just wouldn't feel like Disney without it. HM and Splash M could almost make up for it, but I have to admit that it would feel like a wasted trip.

"POTC Is Tradition" for us. We head to POTC first thing when we arrive and it's only when we're seated in the boat and drifting through the bayou that we turn to each other and whisper like excited kids, "We're finally here!!". Sixteen years of annual trips to Disneyland, and POTC always kicks it off. I know life goes on and we'd still have an awesome time at DLR if it weren't open, but POTC is the one ride I make sure is running when I schedule our trips.

For our family, there really isn't any ride(s) that would constitute us to change around our plans for. The last time we visited DLR was in 2013 and during that time BTMRR was down for it's major refurb, we were bummed when we learned about it but since it was our first time ever going to DLR, we got over it because we knew there were a lot more things we wanted to see and do still. We are heading back this June and even though I am bummed that the train isn't running, I am glad that they are parked at different stations so that we can still go up and see them and talk to the conductors about the history of the trains (I am also really glad that we can do the same for the Mark Twain and the pirate boat...sorry forgot the name of it, and that the water will still be around Tom's Sawyer's island without any construction walls up). Also, there are some other refurbs that could possibly be happening during our stay (there isn't a clear ending date on some of the refurbs), and if the ride(s) will happen to be shut down, yes we will be bummed but we won't be changing our entire plans because of it. Instead it will give us a really good reason to go back to DLR again in the future :goodvibes.

These threads are always interesting as you get to see the vast variety of opinions. What some would consider a deal breaker we might not even bother riding once and I am sure the same could be said for the rides we'd be very upset if they were done when we visited. That is good news though, because if everyone loved the exact same ride, it'd have a pretty long line!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter