• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDP really holds up the line!!!!!!

For every family that "just eats the dessert" there is a family that, because of the plan, eats a well balanced meal instead of picking up a burger because it is cheaper. For that, I applaud the DDP. It works for my family quite well. I love the idea of a CM explaining. They could do a kiosk ordering system where you pay after you place your own order from the computer. Then we will see if it is DDP or just people taking their time to order. If there is a discrepancy on your bill when it is printed from the kiosk, you can take it to a CM before you go to the cashier.

Let me just say that our first Disney trip was in 2000, pre DDP and the lines were just as long and people took their time ordering. I always say another person's urgency is not my problem. I will take my time and make sure I get my order straight. Sometimes it's really quick, sometimes it is not. While I am considerate enough to at look at the menu before I get in line, if I have a question for the cashier, I will ask and whoever is behind me will wait a second or two until I get a response. Sorry, we all want the most out of our vacation and that sometimes means getting your questions answered. I agree with poster that says we were all newbies at one time. Talk about consideration, consider the person who needs help.

I made bold part of your comments; I agree 100% with that. :thumbsup2

And I just want to say again that I was extremely patient and considerate while I was waiting in line to pay. Like I said before, I didn't even so much as roll my eyes at the other guests; I just want this to be clear because I do not want my comments to appear as if I'm endorsing being impatient, unkind, or inconsiderate of others. :grouphug: I'd eat cold food before I'd make a negative comment to a family dealing with the DDP.

However, I don't think *anyone* likes to eat their hot food after it's gone cold, and that was why I was "venting" when I started this thread, and I still stand by my original comment that, in my own personal experience, the DDP often times caused the lines to back up, and I think there are steps that Disney can take to remedy this, which will make things better for EVERYONE, not just the people paying cash, and not just the people on the DDP. :)

Maybe WDW should consider installing a system where guests who are on the DDP can swip or scan their KTTW cards before they pay for a meal and it will tell them how many credits they have left. They have this for the arcade cards where you swip it in the machine and it says how many points you have remaining on the card, so you can decide when it's best to refill the card by spending more money.

First of all, no one should have to wait that long in the pay line that their food gets cold.

What Disney needs to do for DDP guests is have that total deducted at the moment of ordering food so that those people do not wait in lines.

This will be my first trip with DDP, but I really don't understand the difficulty in ordering with the DDP? It's seems pretty simple to me :confused:

This will be my first trip with DDP, but I really don't understand the difficulty in ordering with the DDP? It's seems pretty simple to me :confused:

I used the plan a few months after it came out (April 2005). The little booklet I was giving at check in clearly explained everything.

I have no idea what has changed in the last two years to cause such problems.:confused3

I don't like the cash line/DDP idea. I tend to use both. I order based on what we want, not based on what's included in the plan. If I want a burger, fries, ice cream and soda in a souvenir cup, then I'll use the plan for the food and cash for the drink. I'd hate to have to stand in two lines in order to use two forms of payment.

I used the plan a few months after it came out (April 2005). The little booklet I was giving at check in clearly explained everything.

I have no idea what has changed in the last two years to cause such problems.:confused3

I don't like the cash line/DDP idea. I tend to use both. I order based on what we want, not based on what's included in the plan. If I want a burger, fries, ice cream and soda in a souvenir cup, then I'll use the plan for the food and cash for the drink. I'd hate to have to stand in two lines in order to use two forms of payment.

I don't think anything changed (except expanding what you can get with a snack credit!) Part of the problem is people don't take the time to read the brochure after check-in. They are too excited to hit the ground running and get on a ride. Those same people didn't take the time to research what they purchased and understand the plan before arrival.

I'll agree that there's a bit of a learning curve to the DDP...but I don't think it causes insane lines at all CS locations and problems at all TS locations throughout the "world" at all times of the year. The first time visitors on their first day may not understand what's going on. You'll see them with a confused look on their face- instead of acting smug and rude (even if you are a DDP-hater) you could spread a little pixie dust and ask them if they need any help.

Last summer, I helped several people "navigate" Everything Pop on their first time thru using the plan. (they were starving from a day of traveling) In one case, Mom got teary and dad tried to tip me. LOL Kids were just happy they could pick their dinner!

I guess I have more fun on vacation if I don't harbor resentment vs. everyone I come across for holding up lines, eating too much food, throwing away uneaten food, not eating enough food, eating too many CS meals, eating too many TS meals, eating too many snacks, etc. If I just worry about my own family's enjoyment and help other's have more fun too- well, that's a good time ;)

I think you're right about people not taking the time read the information presented to them.

It's the same issue with fast pass. I'm amazed by the number of people who are clueless about the FP system.:confused3 There's information about FP all over the parks. If people would just take a minute to READ the park map they're holding, they'll be able to figure out how it works. If that fails, they can just ask one of the CMs standing near the machines.:idea:

I'll be honest, I don't care if the person in front of me is using the DDP, DDE, cash, credit card or meal voucher. I’ll be ready to scream if they wait until they get to the cashier to decide what to order.:scared:

I guess I have more fun on vacation if I don't harbor resentment vs. everyone I come across for holding up lines, eating too much food, throwing away uneaten food, not eating enough food, eating too many CS meals, eating too many TS meals, eating too many snacks, etc. If I just worry about my own family's enjoyment and help other's have more fun too- well, that's a good time ;)

Quite well said. I can't count the number of posts that detail complaints about guests at nearby tables, etc. I honestly don't pay attention beyond a cursory glance unless there's something truly remarkable about another person. I have no idea what people sitting at surrounding tables order or say to their waiters and waitresses or how they choose to pay for their meals. We are generally busy enjoying our meal and eachother's company (as my DD18 likes to say, "it's all about US!) to worry about what's going on elsewhere. I can only control my family and how we utilize the plan. Just because something's paid for doesn't mean you have to order it, or consume every bite. I don't make the serving sizes, but I know when to stop eating. And I know enough not to care what others are and aren't eating ;)

It's always a good trip this way!

Besides, it strikes me that at the food courts, people should be asking their questions where they pick up their food, not where they are paying. Isn't it already too late at that point to make additions to their meals?

This is what we did when we weren't sure. Nver held up the pay line and never had to put anything back.

As a first timer w the DDp that makes sense to me. It also does seem fairly simple... An entree or combo, a drink (will ask if lg is okay) and a dessert. Over and out:goodvibes

Guess I better do a little more research on Le Cellier as to what's NOT included! (I don't understand why they'd not allow kids desserts. That's just wrong!)

I used the DDP for the first time last August - first trip to the All Star resorts, too. I have to admit I looked like a deer in headlights my first trip to the food court! I think they need more than 1 CM answering questions, but the food stations should also have knowledge of what's included. There's no point in ordering food that isn't on the DDP and then you don't buy it and it goes to waste. They could also mark the items that are included. Brownie sundaes, for example, we found out on our 3rd day that they were allowed for your dessert, but since they were over $4 you couldn't get them for a snack. Now the first 2 days we were only getting cookies for dessert cause that's what everyone else was doing. I like to use my benefits to the limit, and it would have been nice to know exactly what was allowed as far as sides/fruit/ice cream is concerned. Not to mention the small/large water dilemma....

These are things that I don't think can be explained in a brochure when you check in. But parents trying to buy adult meals on child credits - well that's completely different.

Even a list at each restaurant if they have special arrangements would be nice - like when I check in at LeCellier. Or signs posted by each of the food court coolers or food stations might help. (Yeah, I know, some of us still don't read!!)

I really could not disagree more.

We weren't on the DDP, but I feel like we knew everything there was to know about it from five days of standing on lines and having to wait while the CM explained the DDP to a customer and then having to remove or add items. It was especially bad at the CS at POP. There was more than one morning when our breakfasts got cold because the person in front of us was having their kids run back and forth to get food that was allowed WHILE the cashier was ringing up their order. This happened EVERY morning.

After that experience, I would agree that there should be separate lines for those on the DDP and those who are not. Maybe that way my french toast wouldn't have been cold.

My dh had wanted to go on the DDP, but I didn't want to fuss with it. After just two days of listening to the CMs in every park and our hotel explain the DDP over and over and over to entire lines of people, my dh said, "You were right. This is way too much work. I just want to order what I want, pay and get out and not have to negotiate the Paris Peace Accords to get a dessert."

I couldn't agree with you more. While I was reading your message I was thinking I could have written it myself. We just returned from a week at the Polynesian and every single time I was in line at Captain Cooks (food court area) there was a DDP person holding up the line. If it wasn't related to what food they could and could not get, it was people paying for their meal and then having the cashier go back into their account to check their credits. We either paid by cash or credit card and there is no way we were slower than the DDP people. Just the fact that the cashier has to check exactly what you have and what qualifies for the plan and what doesn't instead of just ringing everything up and paying.

While planning our trip, I asked DH about the DDP and his response was the same as yours - he didn't want to fuss with it. And good thing we didn't because after getting home and doing the calcluations, we would have lost $20 if we had done the plan.

I don't think the slowness problems happen at the TS restaurants - it's a problem that is strictly limited to the CS and snack areas. As someone else said, the rules are not the same everywhere and that makes it very confusing even for people who are knowledgeable about the plan. I wholeheartedly agree that there should be a separate line for people on the DDP.

We just returned from a week at the Polynesian and every single time I was in line at Captain Cooks (food court area) there was a DDP person holding up the line. If it wasn't related to what food they could and could not get, it was people paying for their meal and then having the cashier go back into their account to check their credits..

The new touch screen ordering system at CC probably didn't help either. That was the one place I was worried about if we used the DDP.

The new touch screen ordering system at CC probably didn't help either. That was the one place I was worried about if we used the DDP.

Actually that was not the case. We never encountered a line at the touch screen areas. Only at the cashier. I don't know what Captain Cooks looked like before the renovation but the set up now is not very good. The touch screens are located right up by the food prep area which is a good place for them but the cashier station is smack in the center of the main food area which is really bad planning. The lines for the cashier have no where to stand really so the people trying to walk around to pick out their food end up going through the cashier lines. Then there's the people standing around waiting to pick up their hot food and they end up standing right in the area for the cashier lines as well. It's really just a big mess. We tried to avoid the busy times as much as possible. We would go in the evening and pick up breakfast items to take to our room for the next morning as the morning breakfast hours were the absolute worst for crowds there.

"Just so you know I was mostly responding to the poster above me who was blaming the DDP for the waste of food... yet saying that she never saw so many people eating so much."

That was me. One person eating enough for many is wasting food.
Also, we recently witnessed a family throw away three complete salmon dinners while the Dad ate everyone's dessert. I'm sorry, but it is a disgrace.
Maybe the salmon was just terrible? Maybe the desert was just Dad's favorite? He's on vacation after all that and he and the wife paid for. Maybe people should just mind their own business when it comes to what other people want to eat or not eat on their hard earned vacations. :thumbsup2

Actually that was not the case. We never encountered a line at the touch screen areas. Only at the cashier.

I guess because the problem arises when it's time to pay. When we used our CS credits in the parks the cashier would tell us what we could/could not get on the DDP (never asked,they volunteered). At CC's with the touch screen ordering you don't talk to a real person until it's time to pay.
Kind of like the food courts at the values, especially the "grab and go" part.

I know that the DDP is a great deal; I had it myself on one of our trips in 2005, but last week it was extremely annoying to have to wait for the cashiers to help people figure it all out! :rolleyes1 This wasn't just one time, it was EVERY single time I wanted to pay for food.

A lot of people didn't know how many credits they had left, many people didn't know what was included and what wasn't, many people didn't realize that they couldn't get adult entrees for their kids if there was a kids meal available, etc etc etc. I've never wasted so much time waiting in line to pay for my food in all of my trips to WDW. I don't mean waiting in line because the restaurant was busy, I mean waiting in line because the other guests were clueless. The CMs were very patient; I was very frustrated, although I didn't show it.

There really should be separate lines for people paying with their DDP card, and for people paying cash/credit card/room key. Sort of like the "10 items or less" line at the grocery store! LOL

EDITED TO ADD: I'm not blaming the guests really, they're just trying to use the meal plan that they've paid for, I'm just venting at a system that makes those of us who are paying in cash pay for it with our time, which as you all know is very precious during a trip to WDW.

We were just there may 8-15 and I did not find this to be a problem at all...as a matter of fact, I thought those paying cash held up the lines...they had to wait for their total, then dig to find the exact amount (or at least close to it...would not want to get back 4 pennies...ya know!!??), then they ALWAYS had to stop and look at their receipt to make sure it was correct....my thoughts were this..."it is too bad not everyone could be on the DDP, it would make things much smoother." :confused3 I guess this is why there is a choice...this past trip was our first trip using the DDP (we are only able to go to WDW every 3-5 years) and I thought it was great...I would definatley use it again (if they do not do away with the tips as part of the program...otherwise I do not think it would be worth it)...just my 2 cents.

I don't mean to sound like a witch or anything... but I don't understand what people don't get about it. It's so simple. You get one CS, one TS, and one Snack a day per person. For the CS you get an entre (sp?) or combo meal, plus drink, plus dessert. For TS you get appetizer (sp?), entre (sp?), dessert and drink. For a snack it's anything with the lil "DP" sign next to it on the menu. How hard is it to understand? It says right at the bottom of your receipt how many credits you have left, and if you can't figure that out, there is someone at a customer service desk somewhere that can tell you. What makes it so difficult?

There are some people in this world that just do not get things no matter how clear you make it...sometimes I feel like asking some adults the same thing that I ask my 14 year old (it is usually in a joking manner, please do not flame me)..."do you need me to draw you a picture??" :lmao: It is a shame that so many people do not have much common sense...but hey, we can't all be perfect...right??? :rotfl2:

The plan is simple. There are virtually no exclusions. The vast majority of the threads are from posters that want to use child credits for adult meals. Threads that complain about the kids meals. Threads that complain about sugar free jello. Threads that complain about how the dining plan is "ruining" the restaurants. There are virtually no posts regarding what's covered.

The written brochure spells it out.

Snacks--A handful are listed and anything that has the snack logo is included.

Quick Service--Combo--drink and dessert
Table Service--just ask your waiter.

A guest paying with actual cash is going to slow down the line more then a guest on the dining plan. The cashier rings up the sale then the guest goes through, looks for exact change and then waits for the cashier to make change.

edited to say I agree with the previous poster. There are many reasons for the line being held up.

After starting to read the responses to this thread, I thought I was going to be the only person to think this way...I thought it went rather smooth during our recent trip...except when the person ahead of me used cash.

Now I'm getting a little paranoid. I'm about to go on my first trip to WDW - solo. Reading about how much the regulars can't stand first timers who don't know all the ins and outs of ordering makes me nervous.

I'm glad I'm reading all the tips here, but I'm concerned that if I don't order just the right way, with all the knowledge of a regular there will be people behind me getting upset. I know the CM's will be helpful, and I guess none of this really matters with table service but I'm now wondering about the people waiting behind me.

Don't sweat it...just ask questions as you need to (I would ask for a better explaination at check in if you do not understand the program)...and let those that get "nasty" have their "say"...what can they do...really??? Some people need to loosen up and realize they are at WDW for Heavens sake....RELAX!

I never had trouble finding a table anywhere; I was just shocked at how often I had to wait a VERY long time due to issues associated with the DDP.

The DDP people absolutely have a right to use an element of their vacation that they are entitled to use; but at the same time I'm entitled to pay for my hot food in a timely manner so I can eat it while it's still relatively warm. Disney needs to come up with a solution to this. I think the idea of having an extra CM standing near the cashiers to answer any questions before the guests get in line to pay is an EXCELLENT idea. :thumbsup2

It took me so long to pay for my pasta at POR food court the week of may 8-15th that I blistered the roof of my mouth!! I never had to wait more than 3-5 minutes to get through the lines..even during the busy lunch and dinner hours...I guess I was lucky.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter