DDE Automatic 18% tip!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe you'll tip better than 18% on the AMAZING moderator service I provide.... so I choose to ROLL THE DICE ..

Har-de-har-har.. (giggle)

apostolic4life -

"....It's not rocket science here.......human nature dictates many of us will do as little as possible if we know our wages or job security will not be affected."

I do not, for a second, think this is human nature!!!:hippie:
Forgive my pixiedusted mentality pixiedust: , but since the DDP has had an automatic 18% added for awhile now, which we will be picking up as of January 1, I don't think that servers will feel less inclined to provide great service due to inclusive tips. While this issue has been argued on the Restaurant Boards a bit over the past year or two, I think most will agree that while less than stellar service certainly DOES exists at WDW restaurants, it hasn't been necessarily connected to a "service compris" mentality.
If service is sufficiently bad as to warrant less than 18%, the recourse will be to speak with a manager, which should be done anyway. I just don't believe that everyone's concerned about tips being related to service going down. I think some people are worried they are absolutely no longer going to get away with cheaping out on tips.
You play, you pay. I was always taught that if you can't afford the tip, you can't afford to go out to dinner.

If service is sufficiently bad as to warrant less than 18%, the recourse will be to speak with a manager, which should be done anyway. I just don't believe that everyone's concerned about tips being related to service going down. I think some people are worried they are absolutely no longer going to get away with cheaping out on tips.
You play, you pay. I was always taught that if you can't afford the tip, you can't afford to go out to dinner.

I do not think getting a manager over to the table is going to be realistic at a WDW restaurant. We have always had very good service at most on-site venues, but the one time we had really bad service we waited for a manager for 20+ minutes before we left without ever seeing the manager. They are often busy doing their normal jobs so if they are trying to field multiple diners requests to get the mandatory tip reduced due to bad service, I would bet they will not be able to see every guest with a problem.

With the volume of customers going through the WDW restaurants, I would bet most servers will do very well for themselves mandatory tip or not (even with the cheap-skates who don't tip or tip very little).

:thumbsup2

theparsons said:
I disagree....the waitstaff negotiated these changes through their union. So they DID have a major decision in this policy. They voted on, they can live with the consequences. Sure - generally somewhere between $2.13 and $2.67 an hour.
No, the wait staff did NOT have a major influence on this issue. The waitstaff represents less that 18% of all the union members. The other 80% percent DID NOT CARE about non-negotiable changes in tipping procedures, so voted for the contract. You'd probably be hard-pressed to find a server who did.

Have they said for certain the tip is on the full amount or the discounted price? For a $100 dinner, $18 tip = $118 and then the 20% discount for a total of $94.40 or actually 5.6% savings over the full price of the meal in this case.
Nope. For a $100 dinner, the 18% tip is $18, but the discount is calculated on purchases only, so 20% of $100 is $20. $100 + $18 - $20 = $98.

Paging Tom Morrow said:
I wonder how people would react if Disney were to announce that all prices at TS restaurants would be increasing by 18%; however the practice of tipping in restaurants would no longer be allowed.
Price increases would have to be WAY more than 18%, to coverincome taxes, social security contributions from both the employee and employer, etc... you'd be looking at something more in the range of 33% - 40%

Look, I know people dont want to argue bad serving vs good serving, but having been a server, I cant tell you how many times Ive been out with ladies from work for lunch, and all they do is gripe about the service, yet what I see is a girl who is being ran to death by the 3 tables she has.

Let me set a scenerio for you: You're the server

A family comes into the restaurant and is seated in your section. The restaurant is full and very busy. You're on top of your game, and come to greet the newcomers after they sit down. Since theyre all adults they order alcoholic drinks and waters. Lets say there are 4 of them. You take the drink order, head right over to the computer and put it in. You now have a full section (3 tables) You stop off at the party of 6 (2nd table) on your way to get the waters while the bar makes the drinks. The table of 6 just got their food and the food runner forgot a side of fries, a side of ranch and they all need a refill on their sweet tea. You head into the kitchen, call a side of fries from the appetizer side and a side of ranch from the salad side. Too bad the Appetizer guy heard you and the salad guy is gone. You alert the QA that you need a side of ranch and she goes to find the salad guy. In the meantime you go to grab a pitcher of sweet tea to find it empty, AND the giant container of it is empty too. Since the restaurant is busy you're gonna have to make new since someone took the last, so you fill the filter and wait for it to make new. You fill the waters and head to the bar, but your drinks arent ready because the bar is backed up. You grab your side of fries, side of ranch, waters and head back to the floor. You drop the side of fries and the ranch off and explain it'll be just another minute on the tea, you drop off the waters to your first table whove been waiting for 5 min. And take their order. Oh and after you take the order they decide they want some chips and salsa, something you have to make. As you're walking back into the kitchen your 3rd table grabs you and tells you their kid is sick they need 3 boxes and the check asap. You stop at the computer, put in the new order, print the other tables check and head into the kitchen. You grab 3 boxes, make chips and salsa and notice your drinks are now ready. Well.. not enough hands at the moment. You drop off the boxes and the check, give the chips and salsa to your table and tell them you'll be right back with the drinks. OH NO you forgot about the sweet tea. You run back inot the kitchen and no one has added the sugar to that batch of sweet tea, so you quickly make 6 glasses, bring them out and then run back to the bar to get the other tables drinks. Coming back by the 3rd table you grab their credit card, run it, and tell them to have a nice day. You can finally breath for a minute.

Im sure plenty of office jobs are more stressful, but for the most part you can still take a break almost anytime you want. (to dis? ;)) I see servers running around doing what I just described, and its still not fast enough, diligent enough, etc for some people. They just do not understand that theyre not the only table there. And while sometimes id love to just focus on you, sometimes tables that arent even mine flag me down and I have to help them on my way to get you what you need.

There is definitly bad service out there. and I would suggest that if your at Disney World, and you get bad enough service that does not warrant an 18% tip, to ask your server to speak to a manager and I'm Disney would either have an explanation, or be able to work something out. Thats why managers are there.

Look, I know people dont want to argue bad serving vs good serving, but having been a server, I cant tell you how many times Ive been out with ladies from work for lunch, and all they do is gripe about the service, yet what I see is a girl who is being ran to death by the 3 tables she has.

A family comes into the restaurant and is seated in your section. The restaurant is full and very busy. You're on top of your game, and come to greet the newcomers after they sit down. Since theyre all adults they order alcoholic drinks and waters. Lets say there are 4 of them. You take the drink order, head right over to the computer and put it in. You now have a full section (3 tables) You stop off at the party of 6 (2nd table) on your way to get the waters while the bar makes the drinks. The table of 6 just got their food and the food runner forgot a side of fries, a side of ranch and they all need a refill on their sweet tea. You head into the kitchen, call a side of fries from the appetizer side and a side of ranch from the salad side. Too bad the Appetizer guy heard you and the salad guy is gone. You alert the QA that you need a side of ranch and she goes to find the salad guy. In the meantime you go to grab a pitcher of sweet tea to find it empty, AND the giant container of it is empty too. Since the restaurant is busy you're gonna have to make new since someone took the last, so you fill the filter and wait for it to make new. You fill the waters and head to the bar, but your drinks arent ready because the bar is backed up. You grab your side of fries, side of ranch, waters and head back to the floor. You drop the side of fries and the ranch off and explain it'll be just another minute on the tea, you drop off the waters to your first table whove been waiting for 5 min. And take their order. Oh and after you take the order they decide they want some chips and salsa, something you have to make. As you're walking back into the kitchen your 3rd table grabs you and tells you their kid is sick they need 3 boxes and the check asap. You stop at the computer, put in the new order, print the other tables check and head into the kitchen. You grab 3 boxes, make chips and salsa and notice your drinks are now ready. Well.. not enough hands at the moment. You drop off the boxes and the check, give the chips and salsa to your table and tell them you'll be right back with the drinks. OH NO you forgot about the sweet tea. You run back inot the kitchen and no one has added the sugar to that batch of sweet tea, so you quickly make 6 glasses, bring them out and then run back to the bar to get the other tables drinks. Coming back by the 3rd table you grab their credit card, run it, and tell them to have a nice day. You can finally breath for a minute.

Im sure plenty of office jobs are more stressful, but for the most part you can still take a break almost anytime you want. (to dis? ;)) I see servers running around doing what I just described, and its still not fast enough, diligent enough, etc for some people. They just do not understand that theyre not the only table there. And while sometimes id love to just focus on you, sometimes tables that arent even mine flag me down and I have to help them on my way to get you what you need.

There is definitly bad service out there. and I would suggest that if your at Disney World, and you get bad enough service that does not warrant an 18% tip, to ask your server to speak to a manager and I'm Disney would either have an explanation, or be able to work something out. Thats why managers are there.

I've been there and you're talking about only having 3 tables,there could be restaurants where you have 5 or 6 tables,so imagine everything you just said DOUBLED!!!Unless you've done the job and been in the weeds like that for a full shift,6-7 hours without a break you wouldn't know what it's like.You leave with your head spinning and probably a huge headache.Bad service is different from a server who is incredibly busy and unless you're totally insensitive you should know the difference.

Copirate and Doom:
Don't forget to add the clean-up of your area that you have to do because the busboy called in sick--or, there simply aren't any bus staff. Add some small kids to that "mix" and you have food, silverware, etc all over the floor, etc.

go ahead caller you are on the air... I heard this thing, from the sister of the friends of my brother in law's ex-girlfriend's hair dresser that Next Year, Disney is going to make it manditory that when you get to the front gate, you have have your credit card number tattooed on your forehead in red letters, but only if you drive a blue car, have ridden in a blue car, or have seen a blue car, but only on alternating tuesdays? "Caller can you turn down your radio and take us off speaker phone... please continue..." Have you heard from anyone in maint. on Spaceship Earth that can confirm or disprove this rumor with proof supported by rules of evidence in the world court?

I am spreading the rumor next week, that all tips must be left in Kugerands... who's with me.

:cheer2: :cheer2: Thank You!!!! I cant tell you how many times I go for something and its empty.. Or glasses always yelling back on the back line we need glasses.

When we eat at a TS it is for a relaxing break from the action. We always tell our server (who usually seems very busy) that we are in "no rush". If we wanted to eat quickly and get back to the parks, we would have chosen CS, which is what we usually do for lunch. Our servers have always been very nice and attentive. Of course, we are NOT expecting perfection just because we are at Disney.

I've been there and you're talking about only having 3 tables,there could be restaurants where you have 5 or 6 tables,so imagine everything you just said DOUBLED!!!.

In my local restaurant, i generally have between 9 and 12 tables:scared1:

It really is exhausting, especially when things dont go to plan, or an order gets messed up.

I think alot of customers fail to register that they are not the only table in the restaurant. And i would whole heartedly agree with you, doom101 that there is big difference between bad service and a server that is just sooo busy.

I had a table sat in my section by our host, as she sat down I went over and introduced myself and said id be right back as i was just gonna pick up some hot food that was waiting for me. Her response? "I dont give a **** about someone elses food, i want to order right now!":confused3

Now im not sure i agree with automatic tipping but i think that everyone doth protest too much. Is everyone that is protesting, the people that dont tip at all?

yes i know there is a difference between bad service and a server who is busy, thats my point.

In my experience in going to lunch with those who havent served, if they are fast sippers and their drink goes empty for a moment they start complaining and already the servers tip is going down. The server was never bad. Just not psychic and just busy with other tables.

then you have the ones who think it doesnt matter how many tables the server has, if the server is good, everyone should be getting good service.

Being a Maid or a Slave is different than being a server. And if you're looking for the first two, you'll need to pay the maid more than youd pay a server, and beat the slave for not serving your needs.

Ive almost eaten in every restaurant at epcot. And eaten in 70% of the rest of the restaurants on property. I've NEVER had bad servers. EVER. Im not saying it couldnt happen. But Disneys standards higher imo, than at your local Chilis, Olive Garden, etc. And like so many other things, because people are "on vacation" they sometimes feel their needs are a bit above anyone else and it can get a little unreasonable.

It seems that there are 3 sets of responses.

1. Those people that don't like the auto tip because THEY want to determine how much.
2. Those people that don't like the auto tip because they think 18% is inflated and are angry they're being forced to tip more than $1 or two which is their comfort zone. (despite the fact that 18% IS the standard.)
3. Those people that don't disagree with the auto tip.

IMO, both #1 and #3 should stop wondering WHY it's happened because #2 is the reason WHY.....

Like it or not... believe it or not... non-tippers and lousy tippers exist and the only way to get the servers a wage they deserve is to enforce some rules.:thumbsup2

Ive almost eaten in every restaurant at epcot. And eaten in 70% of the rest of the restaurants on property. I've NEVER had bad servers. EVER. Im not saying it couldnt happen. But Disneys standards higher imo, than at your local Chilis, Olive Garden, etc. And like so many other things, because people are "on vacation" they sometimes feel their needs are a bit above anyone else and it can get a little unreasonable.

This is our experience also :goodvibes . Alot of people are concerned with themselves only and don't give a hoot if the waitress is run ragged. They want what they want when they want it!:confused:

It seems that there are 3 sets of responses.

1. Those people that don't like the auto tip because THEY want to determine how much.
2. Those people that don't like the auto tip because they think 18% is inflated and are angry they're being forced to tip more than $1 or two which is their comfort zone. (despite the fact that 18% IS the standard.)
3. Those people that don't disagree with the auto tip.

IMO, both #1 and #3 should stop wondering WHY it's happened because #2 is the reason WHY.....

Like it or not... believe it or not... non-tippers and lousy tippers exist and the only way to get the servers a wage they deserve is to enforce some rules.:thumbsup2

I am part of group 3. [I am in the 20% usual tip ] However your last line "the only way to get the servers a wage they deserve" That is not true the best way is to PAY THEM ONE increase the actual prices of the food to cover that and be done with it.

Would this include drinks at a bar, I wonder? Like the R&C?

I just called the DDE number and asked that specific question. Yes, DDE purchases at the Rose & Crown bar are covered by the new rule, so tack another $1.35 on to that $7.50 Stella. So much for us paying $65 to renew our card next spring.

Bill From PA

Again, I must address the idea of level of service. It seems so many want us to believe a higher percentage of tip should be given no matter how good or how bad the service is. One tip does not fit all. Sure all servers will argue for the mandatory tip since they will benefit from it, but if you dare say they need to provide the proper level of service to receive that tip they cite all the things they do (woe is me, my job requires me to work hard) as a part of their job. If the bad parts of the job are so terrible you should find other employment. If servers got paid a higher base wage would this stop the complaining.....probably not because servers have adopted the mentality in today's world that the guest is required to leave a 20% tip no matter the quality of service. Remember, we are in a "service" industry and we are expected to give service to the guest. Servers who do not grasp the concept of "the guest is the important person here" will always be unhappy and receive lower tips.

As for the concept of a busy server vs. bad server, I understand the difference and we always let a server know we are there to have a nice leisurely dinner and we are in no rush. This usually allows the server a little wiggle room if she/he is busy. When a guest works with a busy server it usually is mutually beneficial to both parties. I do agree with the idea mentioned how too many people expect to be the only guest in the server's area and everyone else be darned; this is just poor manners on the part of the guest. This person is typically the guest looking for every possible reason not to leave a tip too.......go figure.

:thumbsup2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter