• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

I definitely need to stop by more often! Since we bought our "snowbird" condo in Cape Canaveral, we've been to WDW twice. In 2014, we spent two nights at ASMu with our DD, her DH and two of our wonderful grandkids. We enjoyed Animal Kingdom with them before returning to CC. Last year, we returned with our DD and the two grandkids for a rainy but fun day at the MK. We look forward to many more visits! The DIS store is right down the street from our condo but we have yet to stop in, I guess because I think it's for those going on cruises more than anything else. Maybe this winter we will drop in. The port is only a few minutes north of us and we enjoy going up to Jetty Park and waving to the cruisers as the ships head out to sea.
We hope to head south right after Thanksgiving for a no snow winter but that may change depending on the weather here in PA and how my DW is feeling. We are looking forward to it.

I definitely need to stop by more often! Since we bought our "snowbird" condo in Cape Canaveral, we've been to WDW twice. In 2014, we spent two nights at ASMu with our DD, her DH and two of our wonderful grandkids. We enjoyed Animal Kingdom with them before returning to CC. Last year, we returned with our DD and the two grandkids for a rainy but fun day at the MK. We look forward to many more visits! The DIS store is right down the street from our condo but we have yet to stop in, I guess because I think it's for those going on cruises more than anything else. Maybe this winter we will drop in. The port is only a few minutes north of us and we enjoy going up to Jetty Park and waving to the cruisers as the ships head out to sea.
We hope to head south right after Thanksgiving for a no snow winter but that may change depending on the weather here in PA and how my DW is feeling. We are looking forward to it.
Sounds great. My "dream" retirement is to be a snowbird.

Can you guys stop moving m chair? everytime i come in here to sit my chair is in a different place. Please leave it right here in the corner under the light so I can see what I am reading

IMG_9833.jpg

Did you have to wait in line 2 hours for it?

Love Chicago. One of my favorite cities.

The game itself was not very exciting but I love college football and all the pomp and excitement.

Looks like a pretty cool atmosphere.

Now that I have $500 in free airfare, where to next?

This is known as a very good problem to have.

Been a while since I've been here! Time flies!

Hi Mike!

Back from vacation and back to work.
First part had highs and lows... but it wasn't work.
Second part's work. And work is... work.

Hope it had more highs than lows.

The second part? Definitely a low.

Last here 10 pages ago. I'll go back and read everyth..........

Nah.

Beer. Prayers. Congrats. As needed.

Hey, you've figured this place out already!

My dream retirement is to be retired.

:rotfl2::rotfl2:

Can you guys stop moving m chair? everytime i come in here to sit my chair is in a different place. Please leave it right here in the corner under the light so I can see what I am reading

We only do it to screw with you.

By request:

Here she comes to say good night
I'll get no sleep tonight
With a constant vision she still can see
She was the girl for me

Wednesday week - she loved me
Wednesday week - never happened at all

There she goes I want to see her again
She's gone to school with her best friend
She only does the things she likes to do
Now she wants something new

Wednesday week ...
Here she comes ...
Wednesday week

'Morning all...
That Post-Disney-Depression is starting to set in.
At least we've got a number of expaditions planned for October to help keep my mind occupied.

Howdy Mike!
Good to hear from you sir.

A condo in Canaveral, you say?
Out of curiosity, is it a shared type of arrangement or do you own it outright.
I ask because I suspect you could make a decent profit renting it out to DisDads on occasion.
I'd certainly see a spot along the Space Coast as a good option

Sounds great. My "dream" retirement is to be a snowbird.
My dream retirement is to be retired.
My dream retirement is to be a rich. retired snowbird.
What it this "retirement" thing of which you speak?

Well, we need to have somewhere to throw the empty cans, bottles and pizza boxes...
your corner is just the most convenient spot.

That's a neat little area. My Sister lived in an apartment pretty close to there for a couple years. We visited them a couple of times and always enjoyed it. They really liked Jetty Park too and the ability to walk to the beach was a pretty big bonus for them

Morning all. Third day of work since vacation.
Desperately trying to figure out a way to go on a vacation... soon...

'Morning all...
At least we've got a number of expaditions planned for October to help keep my mind occupied.

I hear that. Both parts.

What it this "retirement" thing of which you speak?

Nothing. It's just a myth. Go back to sleep.

If you had to pick one thing and say it is your most enjoyable thing to do at Disney. what would that be?

Now that my kids are older I really enjoy just taking the time to walk around or sit and just watch the surroundings. Seeing the magic as it develops for others just makes my day. I love to see younger kids and their families smiling,giggling and just have a plain old good time.Though the times with my own family are great I just get that extra boost from watching others....

I know I know the creepy guy watching everyone

Both DW and I preferred Jiko to Sanaa, although she liked Sanaa much better than I did. I would probably drive over to Jiko more often, but just don't want to have to take the bus over. When we stay again at AKV, we'll go back to Jiko. There are just so many excellent meal options within walking distance at BWV, even more counting Epcot or DHS.
We liked Jiko the many years ago that we tried it. It's the prices that will keep us away now.

The hubris lately with Disney is astounding. We can do whatever we want and you will gladly pay for it. Blocking out dates when they open rides? Absurd especially when you consider their record of delaying for months the actual opening of an attraction even after the "opening date" was announced. Anyone remember Test Track or Rivers of Lights? You have to plan months in advance and then bam, your ticket media is blocked out because they finally opened Pandora?

Not sure what we are going to do for January. It is my only planned trip of the year so I am not getting an annual. I am all for bagging the parks this trip but the Pirate Princess is not liking that idea.
What days are you guys coming in?

Nah.

Smart... just like the good 'ol days.

that's nice!

Our dream someday is to have property somewhere in Florida. We'll see if that ever happens though.

You old fart.

'Morning all...
It's the worst week after coming home from WDW. The missing being there and the fact you have to cook breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday really sucks.

If you had to pick one thing and say it is your most enjoyable thing to do at Disney. what would that be?

Now that my kids are older I really enjoy just taking the time to walk around or sit and just watch the surroundings. Seeing the magic as it develops for others just makes my day. I love to see younger kids and their families smiling,giggling and just have a plain old good time.Though the times with my own family are great I just get that extra boost from watching others....

I still like going on the rides with the kids. They get so excited for that. I had Gabby (DD3) on 7DMT, Barnstormer, SM, and BTMRR this summer. She loved everyone. I never went to Disney as a kid so seeing her enjoy it makes me feel like a kid. :)

Too crazy lately and just felt like plain garbage yesterday so stayed home and basically slept on and off all day. Kitchen remodel project moving ahead of schedule as counter tops and sink installed today - originally scheduled for this Friday. Glad it's Wednesday cause it gets me closer to Friday.
Read on my friend and yes we did have good eats. As to the Gators, they didn't have it in the second half. Offensive line problems continue and the secondary had some uncharacteristic miscues.

With the exception of day trips to the Keys, I haven't gotten out of Miami since bringing back the recent graduate in May. I really was looking forward to the trip and it did not disappoint. Flew in Thursday morning. We had plans to see the taping of a NPR show called, "Wait, what, don't tell me." that night. Ate at a very good Italian restaurant (can't remember the name right now) near the theater. I had a risotto BLT with is just what you would think it would be. Bits of crisp bacon and cherry tomatoes no lettuce. The show was spit take funny.

Friday we were supposed to go to Second City but there was a snafu so an audible was called. While his wife was working, we did some exploring including stopping at Lake Michigan. They live near the Northwestern campus so there are a lot of restaurants, bars and shops around. Reminded me of a larger version of South Orange. We also stocked up on vittles for dinner. Decided on Baby Backs, asparagus and potato salad. I cooked, he made fire. Was a bit worried they were not on long enough but when I picked up one of the slabs I knew they were perfect. Man I like ribs.

Saturday was Northwestern Day. I plopped my butt on their couch and watched the morning games. They were all pretty ugly but I made the best of it. Tailgating (at the house) started off with this...

Yep, Deep Dish!

The stadium

Saw this as we walked up, seems a bicyclist got run off the road by someone

Love college football and it was nice to see traditions of other schools. Nebraska fans far outnumbered NWU fans.

Army parachutists

The game itself was not very exciting but I love college football and all the pomp and excitement. The bands, cheerleaders, the fans... Nebraska did give us something to cheer about early in the game. A running back broke a long run right in front of us but dropped the ball at the one. It went into the end zone and came back for a touchback. Gave some hope to NW fans.

Halftime and it was time to eat. There was a BBQ place near our seats so went there. Had this...

Can't go to Chicago and not have a Polish Sausage. The sucker was over a foot long and was great. Wolfed that down.

We left in the middle of the 4th quarter and stopped at a restaurant along the main drag near campus. Interesting place.

Departure back to Miami was kind of fun and profitable. American way overbooked the flight and offered a $500 travel voucher and a guaranteed seat on the next flight (three hours later). Grabbed that deal. The first flight was an hour late of they got to MIA about two hours before me but I have $500 in free air fare.

As I said a great trip. We have known each other since high school and we were up late each night laughing and telling stories. He got remarried two years ago and she is wonderful. Good people.

Thanks for sharing pics. Good deal on the food and football game and nice snag on the $500 flight credit - hang on to it as you will need it for the kid for something :thumbsup2
Yeah my big issue is that they are currently selling AP's that cover well into 2017. While they will sell you a Gold AP now they will only tell you that there will be blackouts in 2017. It could be that it's about the same days as last week, but when you are booking trips for April based on those dates, "about" or "could be" aren't really that helpful.

The hubris lately with Disney is astounding. We can do whatever we want and you will gladly pay for it. Blocking out dates when they open rides? Absurd especially when you consider their record of delaying for months the actual opening of an attraction even after the "opening date" was announced. Anyone remember Test Track or Rivers of Lights? You have to plan months in advance and then bam, your ticket media is blocked out because they finally opened Pandora?

Not sure what we are going to do for January. It is my only planned trip of the year so I am not getting an annual. I am all for bagging the parks this trip but the Pirate Princess is not liking that idea.
Though they have not officially announced this new practice, sounds like a way to get more folks to purchase the platinum pass which has no blackout dates. This is what I have now only because I knew we were headed down at Christmas / New Years. At DVC price for the platinum still a good great deal if making at least 2 trips.

Nah.

Welcome, er ah sorry you had to come back from vacation.
Sounds great, hoping we all find what we want for retirement :thumbsup2
'Morning all...
What ya got going on in October to help you recover?

In the same boat with older kids (adults) now so different things are becoming enjoyable though hard to pick just one. We still love doing rope drop but newer things now are just walking and taking in World Showcase trying different foods and drinks which is our NYE plan. I too am like you in that seeing young families enjoying DaWorld puts a smile on my face. If I had to hit just one thing though these days, is reflecting on our past trips as a family when there, the "remember when" stories that come out now are probably my favorite.

with young kids...the C Ticket dark rides at Epcot. Just being able to bounce between Spaceship Earth, Nemo, Imagination, even the Land boat ride without waiting for more than 15 minutes is relaxing and enjoyable. The kids don't get that these aren't the most advanced, expensive rides ever. it's just fun to play. Mix in the 3D show, Turtle Talk and ImageWorks and it always makes for the one the most relaxing, enjoyable times in the parks.

Don't be impatient, guys. Retirement will come soon enough, believe me! We're in Florida for the winter due to my DW's health; not a great reason to be there.

Believe it or not, my favorite thing to do at WDW is probably Splash Mountain. I don't know why but I just really enjoy that attraction.

Last edited:
Just back from our official adults only Week-at-Da'World/25th Anniversary Trip.
Who let you go on a vacation????

We got to take on a number of new adventures for us as well as some old standards,
Did a tour, an evening at MNSSHP, spent all the snack credits at the F&W,
hit a couple of the new lounges on site and enjoyed some seriously good meals at places we'd not been to before. All in all, one dang fine outing.
So... it was a good trip?

Crap!

Love college football and it was nice to see traditions of other schools. Nebraska fans far outnumbered NWU fans.
::yes:: I've seen Purdue fans outnumber NW fans there and we can't even fill our own frickin stadium.

I love college football and all the pomp and excitement. The bands, cheerleaders, the fans...
::yes:: ::yes::

Obviously I haven't been coming in here on a daily basis for a few months now, so I'm sure this has been covered. But where is the Pirate Princess these days?

Booo!!!

Well, we need to have somewhere to throw the empty cans, bottles and pizza boxes...
your corner is just the most convenient spot.
I thought that was where we buried the cat.
That was you? Nice binoculars.
Desperately trying to figure out a way to go on a vacation... soon...
Come to London. We'll go the NFL game. Drink beer. Be men.
By request:
Here she comes to say good night
I'll get no sleep tonight
With a constant vision she still can see
She was the girl for

Wednesday week ...
Here she comes ...
Wednesday week

Buddy, I got nothin' for ya tomorrow. And I ran record shops for 15 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter