• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

RIGHT!

BACKSTORY:

So, my parents have been DVC members since I was 13. I am now 36. My dad passed away 5 years ago, and the rest of us still get one annual big trip out of the DVC. In June, my 3 siblings (+wives and kids) and my family of 5 will be going to Hilton Head for 5 days.

My wife and kids and I have been planning a Disney trip in March for a while. Our kids will be 9, 6 and 3 and it just seemed like the perfect age. My Mom informed us that she'll have points left over even with the HHI trip that she'd give to us as a Christmas Present. She included a list of resorts that she had enough points for.

So, we'll be staying at Kidani Village from March 19th through the 24th. We'll arrive on Saturday the 18th, so I booked the Dolphin for a night. I really couldn't be more excited. Last Disney trip was March of 2013, so it'll be 4 years and one kid between trips. We will be driving from Green Bay, WI, so it'll be a heck of a road trip. But, my kids are great travelers.

This was just booked last week. I know I need to get on ADRs and other fun stuff but, it's been a wild ride this past week.

We've been DVC members since 2008 and been to both HHI and Kidani. Both excellent resorts and have fun. We also drive from KY, so not as long of a drive as you, but I get it. Now, you get to do the ADR planning and then later the FP+ planning. Keeps that trip excitement up. Feel free to post them or plans here and we can visit vicariously thru you.

Hello men! Been a busy couple of weeks my way. Finally replaced the main electric panel and have almost completed the new mini split heat pump installation in the house. Neither project has gone according to plan, but I'd have been shocked if it did. Only thing left on the heat pump is the final vacuum of the line/check for leaks, then charge the system. It's been an interesting adventure since this is my first installation of a heat pump. (Don't tell Dave I'm doing this stuff! lol)
!

You are quite the home installation expert and am still waiting for you to remake one of my rooms here. I don't think Zerfs is licensed in VA, so you should be ok. :lmao:

Hope the golf outing goes on as planned.

Sad. But I guess every group has drama once in a while. We just had to worry about Norm's tennis matches here :bored:

And that's all the stress I want to have in my life.

Had a fun weekend. Smoked 10 pounds of pork belly low and slow over hickory and sliced it up nice and thick for bacon! Yum yum! Other than that, stayed pretty lazy. Watched Tenn beat Florida, went to church and hung out with the family.
!

Bacon sounds great. Did you remember to mail me some samples? :lmao:

We've been DVC members since 2008 and been to both HHI and Kidani. Both excellent resorts and have fun. We also drive from KY, so not as long of a drive as you, but I get it. Now, you get to do the ADR planning and then later the FP+ planning. Keeps that trip excitement up. Feel free to post them or plans here and we can visit vicariously thru you.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the planning. Any trip I go on, I like to research and plan excessively. I always said, if I got laid out with diarrhea on the first day of the trip it still wouldn't be a total loss because of they enjoyment I get from planning and just having something to look forward to.

Catching up from the weekend in Chicago, just started the laundry. Had a fun time exploring the Windy City with friends. Luckily on Saturday we had to leave for the Northwestern game so I missed some of the debacle in Tennessee. Will post some pics later.

Me too. I was late to the fracas and decided to just stay out of it. It reinforced the age-old lesson of: if you have a problem with someone, please address it directly with that person privately.

Yep it got nasty over there for a couple days. It made some of the more drama filled DisBoards seem tame in comparison.

Yea, there is trouble in River City. Stayed out of it but I have my own opinions which I kept to myself. Missed the second round due to the trip. This isn't the first time nor do I expect it to be the last unfortunately.
Shaddup......:lmao:

Ditto.

Happy Monday fellas. Hope everyone had a good weekend. Rach seems to be getting back to her old self as the Chemo works out of her body. Now she just has 3 weeks of radiation treatment and then this cancer treatment will be over. It will be nice to just be worrying about work, kids stuff and me being in school again.

Has anyone eaten at the crepe place at Disney Springs?

That is good news. Here is to continued progress and her good health. Sorry, can't help you with the crepes.

As an aside, do you remember who met up at the half marathon the year before Barry and Tim's smackdown? I know you and Paul were there but there were also a few other dads. Trying to find the picture we took. You know, the one you missed because you were still on the bus.

Top O the Mornin Dads! Rais a glass of lemonade and ice tea mixture to remember the great Arnold Palmer.

Main thing going on around here is remodeling kitchen and first step of tearing out counter tops was done on Friday so we ar about a week / week and a few days without counter tops and kitchen sink plus all the drawers are pulled out so we have junk all over the downstairs. Put some plywood out to give us some surfaces but gonna be eating out and take out pizza and Chinese for the week ahead.

Did that a couple of years ago. I feel your pain.

I dont mind Disney Springs in smaller doses. But most of the stores there are too rich for my blood. Got a fair amount of Disney Quest time in since it's supposed to close, had a lot of fun with that.

I NEVER shop there. We mostly go for the restaurants and lounges. Can't wait to try the restaurant "Homecoming" in January.

Morning all...
Just back from our official adults only Week-at-Da'World/25th Anniversary Trip.
We got to take on a number of new adventures for us as well as some old standards,
Did a tour, an evening at MNSSHP, spent all the snack credits at the F&W,
hit a couple of the new lounges on site and enjoyed some seriously good meals at places we'd not been to before. All in all, one dang fine outing.

One dang fine time from the looks of it. Love the pics.

RIGHT!

BACKSTORY:

Great trip you got cooking.

Hello men! Been a busy couple of weeks my way.

We just assumed your absence was due to the hospital recovery time for an unknown home repair mishap.

Last edited:
Morning all...
Just back from our official adults only Week-at-Da'World/25th Anniversary Trip.
We got to take on a number of new adventures for us as well as some old standards,
Did a tour, an evening at MNSSHP, spent all the snack credits at the F&W,
hit a couple of the new lounges on site and enjoyed some seriously good meals at places we'd not been to before. All in all, one dang fine outing.

It does appear that I've missed a good bit while I was out, so...
Welcome to the new folks
Welcome back to some old friends
and may one of these be in you near future...

View attachment 197150

Not to mention some of this...

View attachment 197151
Welcome back, or rather sorry you're back. Thanks for the pics! Some stuff Disney has been doing lately has me a bit perturbed so those pics put my mind back on track about upcoming trips.
RIGHT!

BACKSTORY:

So, my parents have been DVC members since I was 13. I am now 36. My dad passed away 5 years ago, and the rest of us still get one annual big trip out of the DVC. In June, my 3 siblings (+wives and kids) and my family of 5 will be going to Hilton Head for 5 days.

My wife and kids and I have been planning a Disney trip in March for a while. Our kids will be 9, 6 and 3 and it just seemed like the perfect age. My Mom informed us that she'll have points left over even with the HHI trip that she'd give to us as a Christmas Present. She included a list of resorts that she had enough points for.

So, we'll be staying at Kidani Village from March 19th through the 24th. We'll arrive on Saturday the 18th, so I booked the Dolphin for a night. I really couldn't be more excited. Last Disney trip was March of 2013, so it'll be 4 years and one kid between trips. We will be driving from Green Bay, WI, so it'll be a heck of a road trip. But, my kids are great travelers.

This was just booked last week. I know I need to get on ADRs and other fun stuff but, it's been a wild ride this past week.
Will just miss you by one day as we get there March 11 and leave March 18, staying at Poly.
We just assumed your absence was due to the hospital recovery time for an unknown home repair mishap.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:Sounds like you enjoyed Chi-Town, any good eats? Oh, and what the heck happened to your Gators?

I NEVER shop there. We mostly go for the restaurants and lounges. Can't wait to try the restaurant "Homecoming" in January.

I looked at the menu before we headed down and it looked real good. Just no way we could fit it in. It's on my Disney Bucket List now.

Sounds like you enjoyed Chi-Town, any good eats? Oh, and what the heck happened to your Gators?

Read on my friend and yes we did have good eats. As to the Gators, they didn't have it in the second half. Offensive line problems continue and the secondary had some uncharacteristic miscues.

With the exception of day trips to the Keys, I haven't gotten out of Miami since bringing back the recent graduate in May. I really was looking forward to the trip and it did not disappoint. Flew in Thursday morning. We had plans to see the taping of a NPR show called, "Wait, what, don't tell me." that night. Ate at a very good Italian restaurant (can't remember the name right now) near the theater. I had a risotto BLT with is just what you would think it would be. Bits of crisp bacon and cherry tomatoes no lettuce. The show was spit take funny.

Friday we were supposed to go to Second City but there was a snafu so an audible was called. While his wife was working, we did some exploring including stopping at Lake Michigan. They live near the Northwestern campus so there are a lot of restaurants, bars and shops around. Reminded me of a larger version of South Orange. We also stocked up on vittles for dinner. Decided on Baby Backs, asparagus and potato salad. I cooked, he made fire. Was a bit worried they were not on long enough but when I picked up one of the slabs I knew they were perfect. Man I like ribs.

Saturday was Northwestern Day. I plopped my butt on their couch and watched the morning games. They were all pretty ugly but I made the best of it. Tailgating (at the house) started off with this...

Yep, Deep Dish!

The stadium

Saw this as we walked up, seems a bicyclist got run off the road by someone

Love college football and it was nice to see traditions of other schools. Nebraska fans far outnumbered NWU fans.

Army parachutists

The game itself was not very exciting but I love college football and all the pomp and excitement. The bands, cheerleaders, the fans... Nebraska did give us something to cheer about early in the game. A running back broke a long run right in front of us but dropped the ball at the one. It went into the end zone and came back for a touchback. Gave some hope to NW fans.

Halftime and it was time to eat. There was a BBQ place near our seats so went there. Had this...

Can't go to Chicago and not have a Polish Sausage. The sucker was over a foot long and was great. Wolfed that down.

We left in the middle of the 4th quarter and stopped at a restaurant along the main drag near campus. Interesting place.

Departure back to Miami was kind of fun and profitable. American way overbooked the flight and offered a $500 travel voucher and a guaranteed seat on the next flight (three hours later). Grabbed that deal. The first flight was an hour late of they got to MIA about two hours before me but I have $500 in free air fare.

As I said a great trip. We have known each other since high school and we were up late each night laughing and telling stories. He got remarried two years ago and she is wonderful. Good people.

Now that I have $500 in free airfare, where to next?

That is good news. Here is to continued progress and her good health. Sorry, can't help you with the crepes.

As an aside, do you remember who met up at the half marathon the year before Barry and Tim's smackdown? I know you and Paul were there but there were also a few other dads. Trying to find the picture we took. You know, the one you missed because you were still on the bus.

I think that was Marathon Weekend 2013. I was texting with you and Paul when I was stuck on the bus. I still have that text thread on my phone. I'm text hoarder. It doesn't have anyone else on it.

We were looking at booking a homecoming reservation in Jan too. I was trying to get it for a Friday night dinner as some of our group might not have park tickets for all days. I think we wound up booking Kona. Probably not my first choice for dinner but it gives those without tickets the option to pop into Trader Sams then head with us over to Top of The World for Wishes.

Yeah, I'm a fan of the planning. Any trip I go on, I like to research and plan excessively. I always said, if I got laid out with diarrhea on the first day of the trip it still wouldn't be a total loss because of they enjoyment I get from planning and just having something to look forward to.

That's two DDs that don't go together. Disney and diarrhea.

Read on my friend and yes we did have good eats. As to the Gators, they didn't have it in the second half. Offensive line problems continue and the secondary had some uncharacteristic miscues.

Sorry your Gators loss. That Louisville and Clemson game should be a good one.

I think that was Marathon Weekend 2013. I was texting with you and Paul when I was stuck on the bus. I still have that text thread on my phone. I'm text hoarder. It doesn't have anyone else on it.

Text hoarder! :lmao: I consider my text messages and emails like a to do list, and the sooner I can delete it, the better. I do move some to a calendar event as needed.

Woke up on a groovy Tuesday.
Even my hangover's fine.
Hung my mind out on the line.

Tuesday's groovy. Tuesday's groovy.
Now, I know that nothing lasts.
Woke up on a groovy Tuesday,
Everything is not the same.

Think I'll even change my name.
Tuesday's groovy. Tuesday's groovy.
Now, I know that nothing lasts.

And I can't help it if I'm not the one you need.
It doesn't matter if I'm still the lost ball in the weeds.
Woke up on a groovy Tuesday,
Flower pot, man, looked my way.

Last edited:
Started seeing rumors yesterday that WDW AP's may be changing for the worse in the near term. IE blackout dates around the opening of new attractions.
So I have an AP that can be blacked out at any point? You expect me to book my trip 11 months in advance and if you decide 30 days out to open a new attraction on the days I'm there I'm blacked out. Stupid.

Happy Friday

WDW has a very tiered system for Florida residents. For out of state people only have the Gold and Platinum options for the 4 parks. Gold currently has black out dates. We just renewed our kids AP's and they could only tell us that there are black out dates for the gold AP but they couldn't tell us what the blackout dates are
The AP and blackouts is asinine. By definition, it's a pass. Yet, they're going to say when\where you can use it? That's just silly.
For the Gold AP the black out dates are from about Dec 17th- Jan 2 and the week before and the week after easter.

Yay! I remember how to multi quote!

Two weeks in the first post-trip blues have hit. Going to be a long two years lol.
We'll be here to keep you company. :)

I just did mine as well...
$800 here...but I got an oil change, so that balance it out I guess... :(
That's an expensive oil change. :(

Yup... just bought 4 new tires as well, and a dishwasher today... Ugggh...
Costco?

Just got back from Chicago and found about Jose Fernandez. Never mind the effects of his death on the Marlins pitching staff, this is a devastating blow to Miami. Much more than a young, great pitcher he had an absolute joy for the game and loved this city. The city loved him back. Extraordinary news, very sad.
This is just horrible along with the other guys who passed away.

Monday, Monday, so good to me;
Monday morning, it was all I hoped it would be.
Oh, Monday morning, Monday morning couldn't guarantee
That Monday evening you would still be here with me.
Monday, Monday, can't trust that day;
Monday, Monday, sometimes it just turns out that way.
Oh, Monday morning, you gave me no warning of what was to be.
Oh, Monday, Monday, how could you leave and not take me?
Every other day, every other day
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah.
But whenever Monday comes - but whenever Monday comes
You can find me crying all of the time.
Monday, Monday, so good to me;
Monday morning, it was all I hoped it would be.
But Monday morning, Monday morning couldn't guarantee
That Monday evening you would still be here with me.
Every other day, every other day
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah.
But whenever Monday comes - but whenever Monday comes
You can find me crying all of the time.
Monday, Monday, can't trust that day;
Monday, Monday, it just turns out that way.
Oh, Monday, Monday, won't go away;
Monday, Monday, it's here to stay.
Oh Monday, Monday
Oh Monday, Monday
I love Mondays!!!! They are my Saturdays!!!!!

Happy Monday fellas. Hope everyone had a good weekend. Rach seems to be getting back to her old self as the Chemo works out of her body. Now she just has 3 weeks of radiation treatment and then this cancer treatment will be over. It will be nice to just be worrying about work, kids stuff and me being in school again.
Glad to hear she is almost done. Radiation is the worst.

If I may make a suggestion... Please book dinner at Sanaa. We ate there for the first time this summer and it was awesome. The bread service was da bomb

For the Gold AP the black out dates are from about Dec 17th- Jan 2 and the week before and the week after easter.
Yeah my big issue is that they are currently selling AP's that cover well into 2017. While they will sell you a Gold AP now they will only tell you that there will be blackouts in 2017. It could be that it's about the same days as last week, but when you are booking trips for April based on those dates, "about" or "could be" aren't really that helpful.

Yeah my big issue is that they are currently selling AP's that cover well into 2017. While they will sell you a Gold AP now they will only tell you that there will be blackouts in 2017. It could be that it's about the same days as last week, but when you are booking trips for April based on those dates, "about" or "could be" aren't really that helpful.
I see what you're saying. We are just buying regular tickets for Jan because 1) our gold AP would be blocked out 1/1 & 1/2 and I would have to buy a ticket if I wanted to go to a park either of those days, which I think we are 2) I don't think we are going to go back in 2017 after Jan. I'm out of points. LOL

good suggestion. I do like a good bread service.
I could of pushed my family off it and ate the hole thing as my meal. LOL

Evening boys. London calling.

Rach seems to be getting back to her old self as the Chemo works out of her body. Now she just has 3 weeks of radiation treatment and then this cancer treatment will be over. It will be nice to just be worrying about work, kids stuff and me being in school again.
Hope she is on the mend, all the best.
Been a while since I've been here! Time flies!
:wave:
The Undertones tomorrow?
Can't go to Chicago and not have a Polish Sausage. The sucker was over a foot long and was great. Wolfed that down
Well that looks simply awesome.
Come over to London. We'll go to the NFL game. Drink beer.

Have a great evening chaps, may your dole whips be frosty.

Another beautiful day here, low 60s to start and high in the 80s. Made it to the office and cut the grass. If only there was a beach, ocean, or WDW nearby.

:wave: Mike.

If I may make a suggestion... Please book dinner at Sanaa. We ate there for the first time this summer and it was awesome. The bread service was da bomb

Both DW and I preferred Jiko to Sanaa, although she liked Sanaa much better than I did. I would probably drive over to Jiko more often, but just don't want to have to take the bus over. When we stay again at AKV, we'll go back to Jiko. There are just so many excellent meal options within walking distance at BWV, even more counting Epcot or DHS.

Have a great evening chaps, may your dole whips be frosty.

You think since we send you our excellent Jacksonville Jaguars team each year, the Premier League would send us some good soccer matches. There would be some NFL stadiums open that weekend.

You think since we send you our excellent Jacksonville Jaguars team each year, the Premier League would send us some good soccer.
If the rumours are true, they will be London Jags in a few years.....
We'll send over Watford and Burnley. Enjoy.

Hey Mike, how are things?

So I have an AP that can be blacked out at any point? You expect me to book my trip 11 months in advance and if you decide 30 days out to open a new attraction on the days I'm there I'm blacked out. Stupid.

I see what you're saying. We are just buying regular tickets for Jan because 1) our gold AP would be blocked out 1/1 & 1/2 and I would have to buy a ticket if I wanted to go to a park either of those days, which I think we are 2) I don't think we are going to go back in 2017 after Jan. I'm out of points. LOL

The hubris lately with Disney is astounding. We can do whatever we want and you will gladly pay for it. Blocking out dates when they open rides? Absurd especially when you consider their record of delaying for months the actual opening of an attraction even after the "opening date" was announced. Anyone remember Test Track or Rivers of Lights? You have to plan months in advance and then bam, your ticket media is blocked out because they finally opened Pandora?

Not sure what we are going to do for January. It is my only planned trip of the year so I am not getting an annual. I am all for bagging the parks this trip but the Pirate Princess is not liking that idea.

Funny you should mention that. While I was waiting at the airport I checked prices for flying to Heathrow next summer. Still around $1,400. Then I talked to the kid about it but she couldn't go anyway because of her internship. New target date is Summer 2018. That is if I am still around.

Back from vacation and back to work.
First part had highs and lows... but it wasn't work.
Second part's work. And work is... work.

Last here 10 pages ago. I'll go back and read everyth..........

Nah.

Beer. Prayers. Congrats. As needed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter