DDC XXXIV: The Original Home Of The DISDads!!!

DS started his first day of Kindergarten Tuesday. So far he seems to enjoy it.

Wow, he is growing up. Tell him from day 1 of Kindergarden anything he does wrong will go on his permanent record.

Morning Men.

Last day in the office this week for me. Off to another checkup for DS tomorrow and then a four day mini-vacation with the family and In-Laws. Hope everyone has a good one.

Have a blast.

Good luck, CJ.
Or maybe I should say good luck to the boyfriend. :rotfl2:

Yeah, it is just ridiculous. I mean I get the importance of an education. But sitting in a class room for a minimum of 180 days per year, as mandated by our state government isn't the only thing they need to learn, grow and be well rounded individuals. We end up going from basically early Aug to early/mid June by the time you factor in the snow days that they have to make up every year.

He is going to need it.

Seton Hall has changed their schedule this year. They are starting the end of August. To do that, for this year only, they cut Christmas vacation down to two weeks to do the switch. The kid is miffed but I told her since she goes to a Catholic school, she gets religious holidays off so suck it up buttercup.

That's not the first time I've been called that. Heck, not even the first time today.

A friend of mine use to go out in the wilderness of Alaska with a group of friends for a week. He carried a Glock that carried 17 rounds. He said the first 16 were for if a bear attacks. The 17th was for you if the first 16 didn't work, because it would be a better way to go that being mauled by a bear.

Remember, the person that called you insane also took 7 teenage girls to WDW. He knows of what he speaks. I am afraid if he took a Glock with 17 rounds, there would not be any survivors.

Yeah, it is just ridiculous. I mean I get the importance of an education. But sitting in a class room for a minimum of 180 days per year, as mandated by our state government isn't the only thing they need to learn, grow and be well rounded individuals.

What I really can't figure out is that we start earlier and end later than the other school district in the area, and I don't think we have more days off, either.:confused3

Anyway, I would defy the school board to show that our trips are not educational.

We tell the teachers when and why we are pulling the kids out of school about a month ahead. Most of the time, their response is "take me with you?"

The last few trips, we've been making the kids keep a travel journal. One teacher liked it so much that she asked if I had a blank copy she could give out to all of the other kids that took vacation during the year.

Most of my kids' teachers tell us they love what we're doing with our kids. They see the benefits when our kids speak up in the classroom.

I like the travel journal idea. We would always offer to have our kids do a report to the class when they returned.

I'm of two minds when it comes to pulling students out of school. I think many families have need to do what is right for their families and sometimes that means they can only vacation during the school year. That being said, students should only be taken out of school if they are academically capable of the burden it will place on them. When they are in the earlier grades this should be much easier to do. On the other hand I come from a family of teachers and I know what they can be asked to do when kids get pulled out for extended vacations. Many times the kids that get pulled out are not the students who should be missing the time.

I have a sneaking suspicion that a few families (probably of students who, like you said, really need to be in school) abused the system and ruined it for everybody else. I know some would only give a week's notice, that kind of thing, instead of actually working with the teacher and doing whatever they could to make it as painless as possible. My wife is a teacher so she's seen the downside.

I just hate being forced into a narrow window of traveling during the most crowded and expensive time of the year. My kids are A students so missing a couple days of school is not a difference-maker. And we'd work with the teacher to make it up, anyway.

Remember, the person that called you insane also took 7 teenage girls to WDW. He knows of what he speaks. I am afraid if he took a Glock with 17 rounds, there would not be any survivors.

:rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

image.jpg1_1.jpg

Awesome photo!:lmao:

Here schools close in late June and students start back the day after Labour Day, teachers the week before.

I'm of two minds when it comes to pulling students out of school. I think many families have need to do what is right for their families and sometimes that means they can only vacation during the school year. That being said, students should only be taken out of school if they are academically capable of the burden it will place on them. When they are in the earlier grades this should be much easier to do. On the other hand I come from a family of teachers and I know what they can be asked to do when kids get pulled out for extended vacations. Many times the kids that get pulled out are not the students who should be missing the time.
I agree. We'll probably pull them out for a few days next Spring (a few days before Spring Break starts), but that will probably be it. My daughter will start middle school next year, so it will be very hard for us to justify her missing school.

TBT

First time on R&RC. May 8, 2000, 4:24:26 pm. Love her expression.

After getting off the ride, she grabbed my hand and got right back in line.

Nicely Done!

Top O the Morning Dads!
Our long national nightmare will soon be over. College football kicks off in 30 days.
And in 60 days the Hawks will raise their 3rd Cup Banner in the past 6 years - all will be better.
Morning Men.

Last day in the office this week for me. Off to another checkup for DS tomorrow and then a four day mini-vacation with the family and In-Laws. Hope everyone has a good one.
Enjoy - We have DS starting Sr year of HS tomorrow and move DD back to college over the weekend.
T-Minus about 10 hours before the boyfriend shows up. Looking forward to this. NOT.
Poor kid, have fun busting his chops
'Morning all...
Good news for us today. It might actually be cooler than 99 degrees for a change.
There's a rumor goin' 'round that it just might even rain.
Been raining here since last night so likely it's coming your way. It's taken the temp way down. Try to stay cool - sure could use a cold drink on the deck of the Fantasy while at sea to combat the recent heat. Sorry we aren't on the ship anymore - flashback :beach:
I'm annoyed at my kids' school. For years, they have had a "family leave" policy. We were allowed a one-time leave, up to 5 days, to pull our kids out of school for family obligations (including a trip), and it would be counted as an excused absence, provided we gave the school at least a month's notice. I thought it was a great policy that gave us some nice flexibility. Now we got a letter saying they are worried about too many absences and are eliminating the policy, so all of those absences will now be unexcused.

They've already squeezed the summer down to 2 months (mid-June to mid-August), they assign each kid enough summer homework to fill those 2 months anyway, and now they take away the flexibility the rest of the year? That's not cool.
Only have 1 more year, DS's Sr year HS, but the limited break the kids get here just 2 months (June & July) is tough. Our area has some schools that are on a year round schedule with multiple breaks throughout the calendar year (2 weeks here, 4 weeks there, 1 week here, etc) Not sure if that makes more sense than the traditional but know our kids always thought that would be better. We have pulled the kids out at times for a day here two days there for things like out of state soccer tournaments, a day or two before Thanksgiving to get to Chicago to see family, etc. We got a hard time once for pulling them a couple of days before Thanksgiving to travel and I ended up having a long one way discussion (my one way) on importance of family and importance of kids keeping face-to-face contact with family after relocating. Now I was able to take this position because both kids are basically all A students. Like I referenced, only one more year for us so the best of luck to you guys having to navigate through this.

TBT

That is so awesome! Thanks for sharing that moment!

Back in my day when the dinosaurs were still decomposing, we always started the Wednesday after Labour Day and went until mid-June. It worked. Hearing all the struggles you have with school systems makes me glad we homeschool. My kids still get way more instruction time then the public school and our schedule is flexible. Now if only we had money to enjoy that flexibility.

T-Minus about 10 hours before the boyfriend shows up. Looking forward to this. NOT...

I would not be looking forward to that either. Tell him you know of a group of dads over 700 strong that would be happy to help you out should he cause any sort of trouble. Thankfully DD gave me a Dads Against Daughters Dating t-shirt for Father's Day so I think I am good for a few more years.

'Morning all...
Good news for us today. It might actually be cooler than 99 degrees for a change.

Which marks the beginning of the fall music season.
That is a good thing.

Cool! That's about as close to an actual convention as I may ever get to.

Win? What is this "win" thing of which you speak?
Don't the teams you follow always seem to have a record that begins with a zero and a dash followed by some other rather large positive whole number, like the way mine seem to do?

Schools down here used to start this early. It meant that the first semester actually ended at the Christmas break and that they also got out in early May and that was good for travel (especially to Disney). The business folk running the resorts on the coast payed enough cash to have the legislature put a stop to that though.

My, my, but he is getting big.
Congrats to him on that next mile stone.

Good evening Rob. Did you hit any of the DCI events this season? I would like to get my dad and kids to one while we all can still enjoy it together but I'm afraid time isn't on our side. As far as winning teams, I'm a Bills fan, suffering is part of who we are. It builds character so we can survive the lake effect snows.

Friday is almost here, and am looking forward to the weekend.

DS started his first day of Kindergarten Tuesday. So far he seems to enjoy it.

Mine start next Wednesday. I hate it that school starts so early.

'
Cool! That's about as close to an actual convention as I may ever get to.

Maybe I'll see you at a DDCC in a decade or so. Maybe you can join us at the next DDC picnic.

I'm annoyed at my kids' school. For years, they have had a "family leave" policy. We were allowed a one-time leave, up to 5 days, to pull our kids out of school for family obligations (including a trip), and it would be counted as an excused absence, provided we gave the school at least a month's notice. I thought it was a great policy that gave us some nice flexibility. Now we got a letter saying they are worried about too many absences and are eliminating the policy, so all of those absences will now be unexcused.

Don't forget pajama day, water day, field day, talent show day, movie day, popcorn day ...... Definitely can't miss any school days. It'll hurt them edumacation.

We have a law that says schools can't start until after Labor day. Too many businesses were complaining that they lost all of their summer-help teenagers before one of the biggest tourism weekends of the year because they had to go back to school. Since Labor day is so late this year (9/7) most schools got a waiver to start on 9/1.

Finally, a state that finally passed a good law.

And in 60 days the Hawks will raise their 3rd Cup Banner in the past 6 years - all will be better.

Kane might be in trouble.

Back in my day when the dinosaurs were still decomposing, we always started the Wednesday after Labour Day and went until mid-June. It worked. Hearing all the struggles you have with school systems makes me glad we homeschool. My kids still get way more instruction time then the public school and our schedule is flexible. Now if only we had money to enjoy that flexibility.

I remember when we started school after Labor Day and ended at Memorial Day.

‘Morning all…
For those at work may your Friday move along quickly (till you get out the door that is).
For those that ain’t… may it drag on and on.

That is… I mean was… an interesting policy.
Sorry that took that one away.

Seton Hall has changed their schedule this year. They are starting the end of August. To do that, for this year only, they cut Christmas vacation down to two weeks to do the switch. The kid is miffed but I told her since she goes to a Catholic school, she gets religious holidays off so suck it up buttercup.

I see why they scheduled the shift in the Christmas break (and too bad for that)…
but why are they shifting it back at all?

TBT

Priceless!

Anyway, I would defy the school board to show that our trips are not educational.

They certainly educate me.

As you well know, it really comes down to what the individual young’en can handle.
If they can catch up or were ahead in the first place… then to heck with whether its excused or not, take them on the road. (unless of course they only allow one or two unexcused absences, that’d be problematic)

I agree. We'll probably pull them out for a few days next Spring (a few days before Spring Break starts), but that will probably be it. My daughter will start middle school next year, so it will be very hard for us to justify her missing school.

That’s where we hit the wall. Things move more quickly starting in about the 7th and accelerate rapidally in HS. With math especially, once you’re behind, you’re in trouble. It happened to me. It happened to DS. That was the end of fall traveling for a while.

We have DS starting Sr year of HS tomorrow and move DD back to college over the weekend.
We’re hauling the Boy back up into the mountains tomorrow as well.
Year number three underway

Been raining here since last night so likely it's coming your way. It's taken the temp way down. Try to stay cool - sure could use a cold drink on the deck of the Fantasy while at sea to combat the recent heat. Sorry we aren't on the ship anymore - flashback :beach:
Wish I was back on the ship as well. It’s hard to beat the lap of luxury…
(it’s hard to pay for it as well, but one can dream).

Good evening Rob. Did you hit any of the DCI events this season? I would like to get my dad and kids to one while we all can still enjoy it together but I'm afraid time isn't on our side. As far as winning teams, I'm a Bills fan, suffering is part of who we are. It builds character so we can survive the lake effect snows.

Yes… yes we did
Got to see 8 of the top-10 at a show in Winston Salem a couple weeks ago; Heck of an evening. I even wrote up a little bit about it as a side piece in my current excuse for a TR (because I like to abuse my readers ya’ know). They’re all up in Indy now for the championships. Apparently last night’s prelims was a wild and woolly affair; lots of shifting in positions. We’ll see how it shakes out and who takes the “Crown” on Saturday (obviously I have a favorite).

As for “American” football… Dolphins fan by raising; Panthers follower by home town.
I understand the suffering of which you speak.

Maybe I'll see you at a DDCC in a decade or so. Maybe you can join us at the next DDC picnic.
Don’t know. I think work may always interfere in one form or another. I don’t really see retirement in any rational sense as even possible. I’m already at the age where discrimination is acceptable so when I’m finally thrown out of this job, it will take two or three to replace it (and likely those will be lacking in benefits and time off). It’s not looking promising.

I remember when we started school after Labor Day and ended at Memorial Day.
Had to stop and think what we did back in the day.
We had four nine week “quarters” every year with only the Christmas and Spring breaks being excluded from the progression. Mathematically, that adds up to the same 180 days that law now requires, but the difference was that the other holidays and work days were counted as part of the total. That’s how we still got the longer summer. The law as written (in SC at least) states that it has to be 180 days physically on site. It’s just a function of how it got worded once a single standard was applied.

Well, work has been keeping my quite busy lately. Well, between work and planning for our vacation. We leave on Friday for a 3 week road trip - Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Canada, North Dakota, South Dakota, Minnesota, and back home to Wisconsin. Wish me luck!

Not sure how I missed that...
Probably too late, but have a great trip!
And I may be in the minority, but I think that sounds like an awesome road trip!

T-Minus about 10 hours before the boyfriend shows up. Looking forward to this. NOT.

Got the death glare all primed and ready to go?

I'll trade you some heat for our rain?
Hardly had the bike out at all this summer it seems.

Have fun storming the castle!

Thanks!

they assign each kid enough summer homework to fill those 2 months anyway

They do WHAT??????
Does the term "break" have a different meaning in schools???
I was ticked when Kay told me she didn't want to go to Disney (or anywhere) during Spring break because she had too much homework last time.

I think if they assign homework during a break, they should also provide the teacher's number so they are available to answer questions about it. Lots and lots of questions. For several hours a day. Every day.

"After being inundated with 8,542 phone calls during a one week period, Mrs. Grundsby, for some reason, no longer assigns homework during Spring break."

Up here, the kids are in school until the very last non-weekend day of June and go back on the first week of September.

Something for you to try CJ.

:lmao:

TBT

:laughing: That's awesome! Both the look on her face, and the fact she wanted to go again!

Don't forget pajama day, water day, field day, talent show day, movie day, popcorn day ...... Definitely can't miss any school days. It'll hurt them edumacation.

::yes:: I keep telling DW "Do you remember having so many days off when you were in school?"

Something for you to try CJ.

That is good. Showed it to DD and she got a chuckle out of it.

It gets tougher for Middle School IB kids.

Enjoy - We have DS starting Sr year of HS tomorrow and move DD back to college over the weekend.

Safe travels and another successful year for them.

I see why they scheduled the shift in the Christmas break (and too bad for that)…
but why are they shifting it back atl?...

We’re hauling the Boy back up into the mountains tomorrow as well.
Year number three underway

Yes… yes we did
Got to see 8 of the top-10 at a show in Winston Salem a couple weeks ago; Heck of an evening. I even wrote up a little bit about it as a side piece in my current excuse for a TR (because I like to abuse my readers ya’ know). They’re all up in Indy now for the championships. Apparently last night’s prelims was a wild and woolly affair; lots of shifting in positions. We’ll see how it shakes out and who takes the “Crown” on Saturday (obviously I have a favorite)....

They wanted to start later in the year, so the shift was made.

Also good luck to him in the competition and his Junior year. Two more tuition payments left for me.

Hmm...over 24 hours since this was posted, and no word from CJ.

Yup, he's in jail.

Chico's Bail Bonds can be your friend.

The kid seems allright but I don't know. He has a goofy laugh that is annoying. They went out this morning to take an airboat ride in the Everglades and I volunteered to go with them to show him around. The Pirate Princess wasn't too keen on that idea.

The kid seems allright but I don't know. He has a goofy laugh that is annoying. They went out this morning to take an airboat ride in the Everglades and I volunteered to go with them to show him around. The Pirate Princess wasn't too keen on that idea.

And she probably finds that laugh "endearing" :crazy2:
"Here alligator... here boy! I got someone here for you to meet..." :lmao:

I may have a problem... every day at work I put on my headphones and queue up "Disney's California Adventure - Golden State - Soarin' Over California ~ Queue Music" on d-cot and loop it all day long. My dreams are starting to use the music in the background. Anyone see a problem with this?? :music:

And she probably finds that laugh "endearing" :crazy2:
"Here alligator... here boy! I got someone here for you to meet..." :lmao:

She is not a fan of it either. And I would have added, "He tastes like chicken."

I may have a problem... every day at work I put on my headphones and queue up "Disney's California Adventure - Golden State - Soarin' Over California ~ Queue Music" on d-cot and loop it all day long. My dreams are starting to use the music in the background. Anyone see a problem with this?? :music:

Nope. If it was Small World then that would be a problem.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter