DDA Chapter 26

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is nasty outside. We have already had inches and inches of rain with more coming. Tornado watches and warnings are all over the area too. Boy am I glad I am not flying today!

I just checked in online and upgraded to business class using a voucher I had. :yay: My suitcases are packed and I think I am as ready to go as I possibly could be. I teach all day and leave for the hotel about 9:30 tonight. I am not taking my laptop with me on this trip so I won't be back in touch until October 11th at the earliest. If I need to know anything please call my cell phone or text me.

I get to see Vicki and Chuck and Stephanie and Terry on Monday morning! :dance3:

I will try to stop in here before I leave for work, but no guarantees. If not... I will miss you all. Have a great week!! :wave2:

Nick did not pass the test. There were some questions that I didn't know the answers to until we looked them up after the test. Car emissions questions, underage drinking and driving questions. He did fine on the straight forward driving questions, signage etc. Now we know what areas to focus on before he takes it again. He was very disappointed of course this was the first test he has failed EVER. And on his birthday to boot. :headache: We did go out to dinner and that was nice although he didn't eat much as he was complaining of a tummy ache.

I missed this post. :headache: :mad: I am so sorry to hear that Nick didn't do as well as he had hoped. Tell him we know he will be fine next time; now he knows what they want him to know! :thumbsup2

Elin - I hope you have a magical trip!! I also hope the weather down there clears up for you.

It is nasty outside. We have already had inches and inches of rain with more coming. Tornado watches and warnings are all over the area too. Boy am I glad I am not flying today!

I just checked in online and upgraded to business class using a voucher I had. :yay: My suitcases are packed and I think I am as ready to go as I possibly could be. I teach all day and leave for the hotel about 9:30 tonight. I am not taking my laptop with me on this trip so I won't be back in touch until October 11th at the earliest. If I need to know anything please call my cell phone or text me.

I get to see Vicki and Chuck and Stephanie and Terry on Monday morning! :dance3:

I will try to stop in here before I leave for work, but no guarantees. If not... I will miss you all. Have a great week!! :wave2:

Have a Wonderful Trip.

Vicki the same goes for you :wizard::wizard:

I'm home with 2 kids today. Hunter complained of a tummy ache about an hour after he went to bed last night. Still had it this morning and since his class was scheduled to go hiking today we thought it best for him to stay here. Colby has been up since 4 AM actually he says he's been awake since 3, but he's been out of bed since 4 :headache: He says that his arm hurts, but I don't see any reason why it would. I think he had some strange dreams that bothered him and then he couldn't fall back asleep. I know that he wouldn't have made it through the day on so little sleep so he's home too. My tummy is wonky as well. Woke up nauseous several times. When is all this sick crap going to pass? I've had this cold for over 3 weeks now. There is nothing that screams out treat me and I have been on antibiotics. It is just lingering as Kristine said weeks ago.

Deb, I hope you all feel better soon! Could it possibly allergy related? Miles had been queasy so often. He woke up one morning with the room spinning and throwing up. We put him on a Claritin (well, the generic equivalent) before bed, and he has had much better mornings. My allergies have been brutal this year as well.

:hug: to Nick on the test. I'm sure he'll get it next time! If you can get a permit at 15, how old do you have to be to get an actual license? Are there restrictions on a new license?

Have a great day, DDA! I hope to have some time later to catch up, but I need to run now.

Deb - I hope you all feel better soon. Nick will do better next time, I'm sure. Especially now that he knows what it's about Is there a certain amount of time that he has to wait until he can take it again? It's hard when our kids are disappointed. My Nick went through that yesterday too. He and a few other kids were running for SCA class president. He worked hard, wrote a speech and "campaigned", but lost. I've never seen him want something so badly. While I told him how proud I was of his effort and all that, I also made a point of telling him to get used to disappointment. It's going to happen a lot in life, by people and events, and the sooner he learns to accept it, the easier it will be. Unfortunately we have become a society of of NOT disappointing kids.....everyone gets a trophy, an award, everyone makes the team, etc., so when that first disappointment hits, it REALLY hits. We are doing a huge disservice to our kids by doing this.

Deb,
Hope you all get well soon & sorry that Nick did not pass. Alot of people don't make it on the 1st time (me raising my hand!) so good luck to him when he tries again. :goodvibes

Elin,
Have a great time!:goodvibes I am so jealous, this is the best time IMO to go to Disney.:yay:

Vicki,
Have a great trip & hope you all have fun at breakfast!

Hi all!

Heidi asked me to post this message for you:

Please let the DDA know that I am having trouble with IE and the DIS, so I am going off the boards again.

Have a spectacular trip, Elin!!! You really need this! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Deb - I hope you all feel better soon. Nick will do better next time, I'm sure. Especially now that he knows what it's about Is there a certain amount of time that he has to wait until he can take it again? It's hard when our kids are disappointed. My Nick went through that yesterday too. He and a few other kids were running for SCA class president. He worked hard, wrote a speech and "campaigned", but lost. I've never seen him want something so badly. While I told him how proud I was of his effort and all that, I also made a point of telling him to get used to disappointment. It's going to happen a lot in life, by people and events, and the sooner he learns to accept it, the easier it will be. Unfortunately we have become a society of of NOT disappointing kids.....everyone gets a trophy, an award, everyone makes the team, etc., so when that first disappointment hits, it REALLY hits. We are doing a huge disservice to our kids by doing this.

Well said, Tammi! :thumbsup2

I'm sure Nick will pass with flying colors the second time around, Deb. Hope you all are feeling better soon!

Glad you're feeling better, Anne-Marie!

Have a wonderful trip, Elin!!! :wizard:

Hope the new babies are being nice to their mommies. :goodvibes

Kevin is out of town for three days, at a law seminar. I'm so grateful his out-of-town trips are few and far between. Four kids under the age of 6 and one me is a bit exhausting. And, I'm in a "biggest loser" contest to boot (Kevin and I have maintained 1st place for 7 weeks...5 weeks to go), so no stress eating for me! :)

I also made a point of telling him to get used to disappointment. It's going to happen a lot in life, by people and events, and the sooner he learns to accept it, the easier it will be. Unfortunately we have become a society of of NOT disappointing kids.....everyone gets a trophy, an award, everyone makes the team, etc., so when that first disappointment hits, it REALLY hits. We are doing a huge disservice to our kids by doing this.

Well, said, Tammi. You are 100% correct. And because of this our kids expect everything to be handed to them without having to work for it. It is deplorable.

Deb, I hope you all feel better soon! Could it possibly allergy related? Miles had been queasy so often. He woke up one morning with the room spinning and throwing up. We put him on a Claritin (well, the generic equivalent) before bed, and he has had much better mornings. My allergies have been brutal this year as well.

:hug: to Nick on the test. I'm sure he'll get it next time! If you can get a permit at 15, how old do you have to be to get an actual license? Are there restrictions on a new license?

Have a great day, DDA! I hope to have some time later to catch up, but I need to run now.

In VT you take the written test at 15, then you have to take drivers ed and have had your permit for a full year before you can take the driving test at 16. In NH you can just start driving at 15 with an adult. After taking drivers ed you take the written test and driving test the same day at age 16.

Well, said, Tammi. You are 100% correct. And because of this our kids expect everything to be handed to them without having to work for it. It is deplorable.

My kids know about disappointment, we had many discussions about how unfair the world we live in can be. The brain tumor was a huge reality check, that bad things can happen to anyone at anytime. They boys also know that they have to work for the things that they want. They all work hard to maintain high grades and if the grades drop, the priviledges do too. Nick does very well in school, but he works for it. He averages 3 -4 hours per night on homework and doesn't dare miss a day of school as missing one advanced bio class could tank his grade. He did study for his driving test, but only the part that was labeled for the permit test. Some questions came from other areas of the book that he didn't think were applicable. I guess he learned a lesson there. He is fine today, the initial shock has worn off. I agree that many kids just expect things to be handed to them and my kids know that they are very lucky to have had the opportunity to travel as much as they have. They often make comments to that end which does a Momma's heart good. At the same time they know that the wood doesn't get cut, split and piled without all of us working on it and if it doesn't get done, then we won't have heat this winter. They know that if they want a car, then they'd better save for one, etc.

Thanks, everyone! I am not planning to be back on here until the 11th or the 12th. So long, everyone! :goodvibes

Have a great trip.

I agree with you guys--I even look at my kindergarten kids and they want EVERYTHING. I have a prize box that individuals or tables can earn a trip to--some kids think that when one kid goes, they all go, just because its "fair"- or when I send home a certificate to one kid for something, they all want one right then...it drives me crazy because i know its going to be a huge wakeup call to them

Elin & Vicki-have great trips-I'm sure you will!!!

Deb-sorry for Nick:hug: Are you feeling any better? I was having stomach problems. I had assumed it was all the motrin I was taking but I'm still taking it and feeling a bit better. Now I just have a cold.

Tammi-sorry for Nicholas.:hug: He should be proud that he tried so hard. I couldn't have done anything like that at his age.

Amy-:wizard:good luck with your contest and with the kids alone!

I was supposed to chaperone Lizzy's field trip tonight-go to the camp and sleep in the cabin with Lizzy and a few of her classmates. They called and said they are sending the kids home tonight. They are forecasting heavy rains & winds late tonight and into tomorrow. They want to get the kids home before that starts. They'll be at the school at 8pm. Lizzy is going to be very disappointed that I didn't get to go & see the place. I didn't let her take a camera with all the rain in the forecast and she was OK with that as long I promised to bring a camera and take photos. I had my camera all ready with an extra fully charged battery & memory stick. I guess they will have to go to school tomorrow too. She'll be exhausted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter