DD wants Chocolate Covered Strawberries....help

I'd just like to add, once you dip them and then place them to dry, put them on a piece of parchment paper. If you put them directly onto a plate, sometimes the chocolate will stick to the plate and when you go to pick one up, the chocolate sticks to the plate and comes off the strawberry. :headache:

I did this one year for Valentines Day for my wife, mother and mother in law.

I just bought milk chocolate chips and some almond bark.

I melted the two slowly in seperate crockpots and dipped the strawberries (patted dry of course).

We kept them in the fridge for a day or two afterwards, and they were fine. After that, they do get "wet".

It's a great idea, and fun to do.

Good luck!

Culinary Student!!!!
Hey!
Super easy! first off - you can use any type of chocolate. If you're willing to be patient and let the chocolate melt right then the higher the quailty the tastier the strawberry!
But if you tend to burn chocolate when ever you try to melt it start off with Almond Bark or chocolate chips you can get at a craft store try wilton.
DO NOT use semi-sweet baking chips - it wont taste good!

If you have a double broiler - use that if you don't then get a Metal bowl that fits well over the top of a pot - like a lid.
fill the pot with water and set the bowl over the top. Put the pot over medium heat the water under will start to boil! don't worry! Continue to stir the chocolate untill not only completly melted but pretty thin also. Turn off heat but do not remove the bowl from the pot! this will keep your chocolate melted!

Get your strawberries - long stemed strawberries work best! Dip you strawberries in the chocolate and hold long enough for chocolate to run off - if you have too much chocolate on them the better chance the chocolate will fall off before you even eat them :sad2:

Set them on wax paper and let cool completly - can put them in the fridge but dont let them sit for too long or they will start to weep :sad1:

If you want tuxedo Strawberries just dip them in white chocolate first let cool and chocolate set up slightly then dip it in the milk chocolate- so that there is a white triangle left.
Next you can either get a squirt bottle - less than a dollar at bed, bath, and beyond and add bottons and a tie.
Or you can just add decorative drizzle.

Hope this helped. My Baby brother loves them with crushed up oreo cookies!

Hope your princess princess: LOVES them as much as the Disney ones!

I buy Hershey's Kisses on clearance after each holiday and melt them in the microwave. I dip the washed & dried strawberries in the chocolate and I do put them in the refrigerator to harden for just a few minutes. (My kids don't care if they're sweaty.) Easy & cheap!

Add me to a maker of these.

I have used Dove milk chocolate until my ds was diagnosed with a dairy allergy.

Now I use Ghiradelli semi sweet & contrary to what a pp poster said, they still taste out of this world.

I do the double boiler method this way my chocolate stays melted vs the microwave.

I put them on parchment paper until they are dry. OH yeah & completely dry strawberries.

Wow-- amazing that you asked this...just made 2 pounds of them yesterday...I bought the melting chocolate at Michaels (they have all different colors) I wash them and really make sure they are dry...follow the directions on the melting chocolate i either hold the strawberries by the stem and dip them or i have a "fork" like thing from wilton for dipping. after dipped tap off the excess chocolate and put on wax paper on a baking sheet. for some of mine i rolled them in different things...mini chocolate chips, crushed pretzels, jimmies, whatever. put in fridge to set (about 1 hr) they are great

I work at a candy store and right now, we have about 600 lbs of strawberries in back fridges/coolers right now for Valentine's Day. They are super easy to make. I agree with how the other do it. Also, if you want to look fancy, after the chocolate is dry on the berry, take a fork and dip it in the chocolate and wave it over the berry to add a drizzle effect. We use a dipping stick, but a fork would work just as well. We usually keep ours in paper type of food cups and then at night, they go into a tray with wax paper and a paper towel on top. Then, place the strawberries on top of the paper towel and put them in the fridge. We tell our customers that they last 24 hours after they are dipped as long as they are in the fridge.

yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!1 I guess my past mistake has not pattingdown the strawberries completely. Thanks for the tip. Icant wait to try these again-yum!

I use to sell chocolate covered strawberries. It was a small side business. Anyway... You can get the Baker's Bark of chocolate from Walmart or Sam's. It you live in a cold place it will be perfect. Once you melt the chocolate then dip the strawberries you can place the strawberries out in the cold or in the freeze. This helps them to set. And... you're done!!! It's simple. Yes, remember to dry the strawberries well before dipping them.

We use the Dolci Frutta all the time - you can get it in choc or white choc.

Besides the other advice you have gotten, one more suggestion: don't melt a lot at once. Make it in batches. The choc sets up VERY fast, so you only want to melt a bit at a time, otherwise it will harden in the bowl and will burn if you try to re-melt it.

We usually only make about 10 - 15 at a time (just for our family to eat for dessert) - we like to dip in choc and then pour the white for stripes.

The simple fix for the chocolate setting in the bowl before you are finished dipping is to add a few drops of cooking oil and stir. It works like a charm. I think it even says to do that right o the Dolci Frutta container. You can find Dolci Frutta in the produce section where they sell the caramel fruit dips and such. Just wanted to clarify that because another poster said it was in the "product" section. Just a typo that needed clarification so you know where to look if you decide to try that product.

You have inspired me --- I went to the store tonight and got a tub of "Baker's" chocolate and then some white chocolate in a block. I also got some Rice Krispy treats to cut and dip as well as some strawberries.

Hope they turn out great- LOVE the tuxedo ones- think I am going to try that. :wizard:

My Food Lion didn't have the Dolci Frutta-- I looked high and low throughout the produce section!

This is so funny....just did these. I want to add, I do not cook or bake, the kitchen is not the place for me. Super easy to make. I melted chocolate chips in a croc pot and dipped......I did use the long stem strawberries which allow for more dipping. Put them on a plate and in the fridge they went. I used the Giradelli (SP) dark choc and milk choc. I tried their white choc however; it didn;t melt like the regular chocolate. So, I then used Nestle white and drizzled them. They look great!!

I work at a candy store and right now, we have about 600 lbs of strawberries in back fridges/coolers right now for Valentine's Day. They are super easy to make. I agree with how the other do it. Also, if you want to look fancy, after the chocolate is dry on the berry, take a fork and dip it in the chocolate and wave it over the berry to add a drizzle effect. We use a dipping stick, but a fork would work just as well. We usually keep ours in paper type of food cups and then at night, they go into a tray with wax paper and a paper towel on top. Then, place the strawberries on top of the paper towel and put them in the fridge. We tell our customers that they last 24 hours after they are dipped as long as they are in the fridge.

UUHHH...do they really only last 24 hours? I just made some that I need for Monday, 9am (made about 2 hours ago). Will they be OK or should I re-do tomorrow??

I work for a chocolate company and I would never ever recommend using those chocolate melting wafers for anything other than mulch for your garden! No sense going to the trouble of making something as good as chocolate covered strawberries and ruining it by using fake "chocolate"! At the very least using nestles chocolate chips and melt them down--just stay away from the fake merkens wafers-or worse wilton wafers.

I work for a chocolate company and I would never ever recommend using those chocolate melting wafers for anything other than mulch for your garden! No sense going to the trouble of making something as good as chocolate covered strawberries and ruining it by using fake "chocolate"! At the very least using nestles chocolate chips and melt them down--just stay away from the fake merkens wafers-or worse wilton wafers.

TOTALLY agree with this...have you ever READ the ingredients on those Wilton wafers....ewwwww. Go with the best tasting chocolate you can, because the chocolate is a major part of this dessert. Disney definitely uses good quality stuff, you can taste it. The wafers are very very artificial tasting.

And for the drying....pat them dry but also leave them on a dishtowel for a while and let them air dry. You want absolutely no water for them to not mess up the chocolate when you dip, and so they don't get all weepy. They should last in the fridge for a couple of days...if you are getting weepy strawberries they weren't truly dry.

Nothing to add everyone else pretty much covered the how to. But you might want to try Shari or Sherri's Berries. I've never had them but I have a friend who is a realtor and she raves about them and give them to her clients all the time. Very reasonably priced too.:thumbsup2

UUHHH...do they really only last 24 hours? I just made some that I need for Monday, 9am (made about 2 hours ago). Will they be OK or should I re-do tomorrow??

What happens with ours, is because the chocolate is so warm when we dip the berries (which are obviously cold), the berries start to shrink after the 24 hours and they are away from the chocolate. I'm not sure what to tell you. If you keep them in the fridge, they should be ok. Should being the key word here. Dont' stress yourself out over it. Look to see what they look like tonight and if they still look perfect, then, I would think they would be ok. At our store, after we dip them, we put them in a display case with an ice pack. So, they are cool, but not cold like a fridge.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter