• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

DD says John Carter 10 times better than Hunger Games

abbyandangel

Mouseketeer
I realize this is off subject but I thought Disney fans might want to know. My DD went to see Hunger Games last Friday as an 8th grade field trip. They had read the book in class. Sunday we went to see John Carter as a family. She did not want to go and at one point even said she would just stay home because JC did not look good. She loved it! She said afterward that JC was 10 times better than HG. We all thought it was very good and agreed we would like to see a sequel. My DH said it was better than the Prince of Persia. We all liked that one too even though I have heard it didin't do well. Too bad Disney doesn't market movies as well as they make them.

I agree. I wasn't horribly dissapointed with John Carter. Hunger Games, on the other hand, sucked in my opinion. I was really disappointed by the lack of character development. The emotion in the book revloves around Kat's relationships with people, which were barely touched upon in the movie. It was like watching a synopsis of the cliff's notes. I was really expecting something a bit more Harry Potterish in the way those stories were conveyed on-screen.

I realize this is off subject but I thought Disney fans might want to know. My DD went to see Hunger Games last Friday as an 8th grade field trip. They had read the book in class. Sunday we went to see John Carter as a family. She did not want to go and at one point even said she would just stay home because JC did not look good. She loved it! She said afterward that JC was 10 times better than HG. We all thought it was very good and agreed we would like to see a sequel. My DH said it was better than the Prince of Persia. We all liked that one too even though I have heard it didin't do well. Too bad Disney doesn't market movies as well as they make them.

Glad to hear this. I've wanted to see John Carter as it seems like an interesting story. DD and I really liked Prince of Persia, so I was thinking I might like John Carter as well.

I'm just waiting for JC to show up in our local $2 theater. Usually the movies go there after a few weeks in first run theaters. I'm looking forward to it.

Looking forward to see Hunger Games. Regardless of people's opinions, one movie has taken one of the worst losses in history, and the other posted third best weekend opening ever. Quite a range.

I can't comment on The Hunger Games as I have no intrinsic interest in it, but I saw John Carter over the weekend and enjoyed it. It had some pacing problems and a few spots of weak dialogue, but when it worked it was a lot of fun. It's a shame it's having such a lackluster performance because I'd certainly be interested in seeing sequels.

I enjoyed Hunger Games... I also enjoyed John Carter.

John Carter's downfall, oh, probably that it was made into a movie 50 years too late. Plot twists and turns that were revolutionary 100 years ago are common and old hat now. It's sad that a story that paved the way for today's Science Fiction is now being compared to movies that used John Carter as a jumping point.

And... Disney really missed the marketing on this one.

I think it's quite possible to enjoy both movies (and yes, I've read both book series). You just can't compare books/movies, they are seperate mediums with different end goals. Books are typically more about character motivation and relationships, movies are typically more about creating a visual representation of fantastic storytelling. The same is true in Harry Potter, you lose a great deal of his character motivation in the movies, but they are stunningly gorgeous!

PS - who's excited for Ender Game's? I'm currently reading that series and looking forward to the movie!

Looking forward to see Hunger Games. Regardless of people's opinions, one movie has taken one of the worst losses in history, and the other posted third best weekend opening ever. Quite a range.

Saw Hunger Games this past Saturday, in IMAX! Loved it! Must admit I have not read the books, although I am going to read Catching Fire before the next movie! :)

We haven't seen JC yet, but we are looking forward to it very soon! It really looks good! I'm so glad your family enjoyed it! It's great to see good reviews on that movie. I am really pulling for it!

We saw the midnight showing of Hunger Games and we all loved it! We had all read the books and thought they did an excellent job of telling the story as best they could.

IYou just can't compare books/movies, they are seperate mediums with different end goals. Books are typically more about character motivation and relationships, movies are typically more about creating a visual representation of fantastic storytelling. The same is true in Harry Potter, you lose a great deal of his character motivation in the movies, but they are stunningly gorgeous!

PS - who's excited for Ender Game's? I'm currently reading that series and looking forward to the movie!

Oh, I understand that the book is never as good as the movie...Stephen King took care of all of that! Even though the HP movies were visually stunning, I thought they did a better job than Hunger games of relaying the relationships of the characters and related nuances. IMO, regardless of the visual input, HP was hands down a better "story" on screen than Hunger Games.

Regardless, we're still looking forward to the Ender movie. I didn't know they were releasing it (next summer?). DH was just telling me about it over the weekend. That's another GREAT series!~

DH and I both really liked John Carter! We thought it was a really good movie for the entertainment value! We also thought it was fun for the historical significance, knowing that the series of books is a good portion of what led to the ideas for Star Wars and Avatar. It was interesting to see what all Star Wars and Avator "borrowed" from John Carter. We think Disney marketing is to blame for the huge failure. Actually, the thing is really only a failure because of how much it cost to make. It has grossed over $226 million worldwide in 3 weeks, which is a respectable showing... for a movie that didn't cost $200 million to make and another close to $100 million in bad marketing. It is doing better in other countries than it is in the U.S.

I'd like to see a sequel too, but it clearly isn't going to happen. Disney has said that the moive would have to make $700 million to justify a sequel. I guess I may have to pick up the books!

I am also looking forward to seeing the Hunger Games movie. I plan to wait a few weeks until the crowds slow down. I've read the books and I enjoyed them.

I enjoyed it so much the first time, I went to see it again with my sister! I would definitely give it a chance despite the bad reviews! It was a fun and entertaining movie! :thumbsup2

Hunger Games - $155 million in 3 days
John Carter - 65 million in 3 WEEKS

Hunger Games Production budget - 78 million
John Carter Production budget - 250 million

I bet there is a 10 times better chance that you see a sequel to Hunger and not John.

HG was always going to be a difficult movie to keep true to the book because of the point of view the book was told from. First person perspective is very difficult to translate to the big screen.

Considering that, I thought they did an admirable job (though like others, I really enjoyed getting into Katniss's head in the book).

But I also agree that HP did a much better job with character development... then again, they did have 8 movies to do that!

I saw John Carter (of Mars) this weekend and LOVED it. I cannot comment on the Hunger Games.

The marketing problems with the movie starts with the name. It sounds like a documentary. Why didn't they name it after the book it's based on: Princess of Mars? I think we can all answer that.

Anyway, Roger Ebert gave it a good review, I liked the look of the trailer, and I'm a big science fiction fan. I'm really glad I gave this film a chance.

I think this open letter to the Walt Disney Studios chairman raises a lot of very good questions regarding the marketing of the film and the press release saying they were taking a write down on the film: http://thejohncarterfiles.com/2012/...to-walt-disney-studios-chairman-richard-ross/

--Adam

I think this open letter to the Walt Disney Studios chairman raises a lot of very good questions regarding the marketing of the film and the press release saying they were taking a write down on the film: http://thejohncarterfiles.com/2012/...to-walt-disney-studios-chairman-richard-ross/

--Adam
Great read; thanks for sharing.

It really does seem like Disney has been doing its best to hamper John Carter every step of the way. It's disconcerting, considering how ripe the source material is and how receptive audiences are to even average science fiction movies, that it's going to be viewed as such a financial disaster, despite the fact that before Disney's press release it still had a chance to gain traction with audiences.

I have to disagree with your daughter's opinion. I saw John Carter and The Hunger Games. John Carter wasn't terrible but it wasn't much more than average. It was draggy with little action and had weak dialogue. As a PP commented, it felt very out of date - like what science fiction was about 50 years ago. The Hunger Games, on the other hand, was an absolute epic. The acting was top notch. The suspense was constant. I left the theatre and I couldn't wait to see what would happen to Katness next. I have already forgotten pretty much what John Carter was about and wouldn't go see a sequel even if they made it.

Hunger Games - $155 million in 3 days
John Carter - 65 million in 3 WEEKS

Hunger Games Production budget - 78 million
John Carter Production budget - 250 million

I bet there is a 10 times better chance that you see a sequel to Hunger and not John.

You are correct. Jennifer Lawrence has already signed on to be in the movie versions of the other two books. Saw the movie opening night and liked it but haven't read any of the books. Have no desire to see John Carter at all.

As the OP correctly pointed out, this thread is off topic for the Theme Parks boards. So I've moved it to the Disney Movies, Books, TV and Music board. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter