DCL has tentative bookings at Honolulu Harbor in 2012!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!! Oh my GOSH! That would be AWESOMENESS!!!!! Yeah. I am DEFINITELY signing up for that one!

The same Star Advertiser article was discussed here back in June 2010 when it was first published:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2487253

Disney's tentative bookings at Pier 2 in Honolulu Harbor in May and September of 2012 suggest that Honolulu may be a stop for the repositioning cruises between the Disney Wonder's Alaska cruises out of Vancouver in the warmer months and Mexican Riviera cruises out of Los Angeles in the colder months.

The newspaper writer speculated:
"For example, Disney could offer a land-and-sea vacation package combining a cruise with a stay at its 840-room Ko Olina project. Aulani, a Disney Resort & Spa, is on track to open in the fall of 2011."
But that's really not a realistic option. The cruise could not originate or terminate in Honolulu if the other end of the cruise was Los Angeles or another U.S. port. The writer failed to consider U.S. law. Foreign-registered ships like the Disney Wonder cannot legally offer ONE-WAY cruises between two U.S. ports without going to a DISTANT foreign port as part of the itinerary. Nearby ports in Canada and Mexico do not qualify.
Vancouver works for one-way cruises to Alaska. And other cruise lines use either Vancouver or Ensenada, Mexico for the foreign port for Hawaiian cruises now. I don't see why DCL couldn't just include a jog to Ensenada for it's Mexico to Hawaii leg, and then Vancouver for the Hawaii to Alaska leg.

Sayhello

Vancouver works for one-way cruises to Alaska. And other cruise lines use either Vancouver or Ensenada, Mexico for the foreign port for Hawaiian cruises now. I don't see why DCL couldn't just include a jog to Ensenada for it's Mexico to Hawaii leg, and then Vancouver for the Hawaii to Alaska leg.

Sayhello

Other cruise lines fo as you say. My parents a couple of years ago did a round trip on Princess from here in L.A. The only forgin port was a one hour stop in Ensenada before they got back here to L.A. If they do Vancuver to L.A. Via HI in Sept. I will be on.

Ensenada is not a "distant foreign port," as defined by the the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) of 1886.

To offer ONE-WAY service from Honolulu to Los Angeles, the ship would have to "jog" to someplace like South America.

Other cruise lines fo as you say. My parents a couple of years ago did a round trip on Princess from here in L.A. The only forgin port was a one hour stop in Ensenada before they got back here to L.A. If they do Vancuver to L.A. Via HI in Sept. I will be on.
Ensenada is a perfect way to handle the foreign port requirement of the PVSA for a CLOSED-LOOP cruise that begins and terminates in the same U.S. city.

But Ensenada does not satisfy the DISTANT foreign port requirement of the PVSA for a ONE-WAY voyage (one the begins in one U.S. port and terminates in another).

The issue here is whether Disney can offer land-sea packages involving the Aulani.

Disney could offer 2-week closed-loop cruises out of Los Angeles by including a brief port call at Ensenada. But guests would then have to fly to Honolulu to stay at the Aulani.

Also, Disney can include Honolulu on a repositioning cruise where one end is Vancouver and the other is Los Angeles. But, again, that wouldn't include a true land portion at the Aulani (only perhaps a shore excursion to there).

Ensenada is not a "distant foreign port," as defined by the the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA) of 1886.

To offer ONE-WAY service from Honolulu to Los Angeles, the ship would have to "jog" to someplace like South America.

Then explain why Princess cruises can go round trip from Los Angeles and only has Ensanada as it's only port of call?

Ensenada is a perfect way to handle the foreign port requirement of the PVSA for a CLOSED-LOOP cruise that begins and terminates in the same U.S. city.

But Ensenada does not satisfy the DISTANT foreign port requirement of the PVSA for a ONE-WAY voyage (one the begins in one U.S. port and terminates in another).

The issue here is whether Disney can offer land-sea packages involving the Aulani.

Sorry I posted a reply to fast. Anyway. Let's put it like this. They can offer one way from Vancuver to Los Angeles via HI. as a two week cruise. Yes they could not do a Aulani land sea, only a excursion. Anyway you look at it, if they do that two week cruise in Sep. 2012 I am on it. I almost don't care about price.

Then explain why Princess cruises can go round trip from Los Angeles and only has Ensanada as it's only port of call?
Because it is round-trip. The rules are different for round trips.

If DCL *started* in Ensenada or LA, then went to Hawaii, then to Vancouver, that would qualify, as long as people didn't permanently disembark in Hawaii.

The rule is between 2 US ports. If you leave from one US port and end in a different US port, the foreign port has to be distant. But I don't see anything in the Passenger Vessel Services Act that says that if you start or end in a foreign port that it needs to be distant.

Sayhello

But I don't see anything in the Passenger Vessel Services Act that says that if you start or end in a foreign port that it needs to be distant.
I agree. The DISTANT port requirement comes into play when the voyage begins in one U.S. port and ends in another.

Disney could offer one-way cruises back and forth between Vancouver and Hawaii, complete with calls at other Hawaiian islands and a land portion at the Aulani. It would be a long cruise with five straight days at sea between Vancouver and the island of Hawaii.

From a PVSA perspective, it would be the same as Alaska cruises that begin or end in Vancouver.

Having the mainland end in Ensenada would also be an option. But, given the current state of air service into Ensenada, it would involve a long bus ride from San Diego to Ensenada.

I bet the Hawaii stops will be made on the way to, and back from cruises to Australia, New Zealand and the south pacific, or maybe Japan.

I bet the Hawaii stops will be made on the way to, and back from cruises to Australia, New Zealand and the south pacific, or maybe Japan.

Anyone know if they are apt to keep Alaska in 2012? I assume they would do another season in Alaska given they just started in 2011. So if they are apt to keep Alaska going for 2012 for summer months, this idea might indicate they would stop doing Mexican Riveria cruises and venture out if they doing something with Hawaii enroute or back to Asia somewhere.

I did read an article recently that would indicate many cruise lines have not been doing so well with the MR cruise itineraries of late on sales. I know we are taking one on Disney - the kids sail free offer is what caused us to book this for winter break to try this cruise out. I think that sail helped Disney fill the ships this coming winter too.

I guess we'll all find out soon enough what is in store for new itineraries in 2012......

If I had to venture a guess, I would think that they would keep Alaska for summer 2012. It seems to be selling well for 2011 and with this economy, I think they would build on that rather than look for a new market for the Wonder for the summer. So I take the two port calls in Hawaii as the repositioning cruises between LA and Vancouver. I don't expect them to put any new markets (especially Asia) on the calendar for the Wonder -- she has a contract with the port of LA.

As for moving the Magic to the Pacific to do Asian cruises, that may come down the line but I think until the economy turns, they won't put that out there for 2012. I think they may try different US homeports for the Magic in 2012 to see if they have success in filling her without having to offer specials like the KSF offers.

great, but are you willing to take out a loan from the bank too pay for it though b/c I'm sure it will have a bigg price tag.....$$$$$$$$$.....:scared1:

So true. I remember hearing folks say "If they offer Alaska, I am there". Then the prices came out and then I heard complaining about the cost but no booking.
Same with the Northern Baltic. When the price came out, there were a lot of folks changing their minds.

I am sure that IF DCL goes to Hawaii, it will be the most expensive cruise yet.
As far as Asia or Tahiti goes, that will be after they would do Hawaii.

Some lines occasionally offer cruises of a month or longer that go from the West Coast to numerous ports in Asia. The passengers tend to be affluent retirees, not families with children and employed parents. I don't see Disney trying to compete in this market.

I don't expect any cruises longer than twice-yearly, 2-week repositioning cruises that include a few Hawaiian ports (as the ship shifts between Vancouver and Los Angles).

I could imagine Oriental Land Company, owners of the Tokyo Disneyland Resort, getting into the cruise business through a licensing agreement with Disney. The ship(s) would be based in Tokyo and be marketed primarily to Japanese customers.

Here's my 2 cents.

Jan to may
7 night Mexican Riviera cruises

In May repo the Wonder to Vancouver via Hawaii

May to Sept.
7 night Alaskan cruises

in Sept. repo the wonder back to LA via Hawaii

Sept. th Dec.
7 night Mexican Riviera cruises

I do not think that Disney's Hawaii resort is going to need any "help" from DCL to fill up rooms already pirced starting at $399 a night.

So true. I remember hearing folks say "If they offer Alaska, I am there". Then the prices came out and then I heard complaining about the cost but no booking.
Same with the Northern Baltic. When the price came out, there were a lot of folks changing their minds.

I am sure that IF DCL goes to Hawaii, it will be the most expensive cruise yet.
As far as Asia or Tahiti goes, that will be after they would do Hawaii.

I agree the cost is an issue, but what has been the major compliant about Alaska is not offering Glacier Bay. For the Baltics for us it was the flight costs.

I am happy to hear a little more concrete news about Hawaii. Living close to the West Coast definitely makes this a very welcomed option - I will definitely be booking this destination onboard the Wonder in January if it is being offered :woohoo:.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter