DCL cruising cheaper than WDW

It really depends. For longer vacations (7 nights), WDW is often a better deal - especially since they seem to regularly offer either a percent off or even free dining.

And you have to remember that there are more costs associated with the cruise than what you've listed above.

For both the parks and the cruise you'd have gratuity so fine, that's equal and we'll say the same about shopping and alcohol.

But where's you money for excursions? Adult dining (which lets face it, if you have the deluxe dining plan at WDW, you're taking advantage of those 2 credit meals often)? And other "little" things that pop up on a cruise like Bingo, popcorn, soda from a can, or bottled water?

And what about the extras at WDW? Mickey bars, soft serve ice cream, fruit, sodas, waters, and between meals snacks like Dole Whips, chips, popcorn, etc. while walking around the park. Snack options included in meal plans are insufficient to cover this. And if you're going to include excursions, what about those "behind the scenes tours at WDW"? It's very difficult to compare one to the other, but as OP states, the difference, if there is any, isn't as much as some recent posts on these boards would lead one to believe. And cruising can often be even less expensive.

Like I said there are options to save on DCL to, and they are not that limited. You just have to be flexible. Most people on these boards are not. I don't find staying at Pop comparable to a cruise. I find that comparable to a motel 6. Like pp said you have to dig deep to find discounts at WDW well same goes for DCL. I guess everyone's different, but DCL comes out way ahead for us. I have a 11 night TA booked for around 3k. I could never do something like that at WDW. Not to mention I'm going to 3 different countries not just the same old parks with no new rides.

Not everyone can be flexible!!! After my upcoming cruise in 3.5 weeks I CAN NOT pull my kids from school again for any vacation. It is just too hard on all of us with all the work that has to be completed before we leave.

Not everyone can be flexible!!! After my upcoming cruise in 3.5 weeks I CAN NOT pull my kids from school again for any vacation. It is just too hard on all of us with all the work that has to be completed before we leave.
I get that but previous poster implied that there wasnt ways to save on a cruise. I just disagee with that. I would not cruise dcl if my vacations were dictated by a school calandar. I could never pay dcls peak prices nor would I pay wdw peak prices. Im not sure which is worse. I guess Im in the minority but Ive never taken a cruise that cost more than wdw. It could be our eating habits. Were not fast food people and wdw restaurants are expensive.

And what about the extras at WDW? Mickey bars, soft serve ice cream, fruit, sodas, waters, and between meals snacks like Dole Whips, chips, popcorn, etc. while walking around the park. Snack options included in meal plans are insufficient to cover this. And if you're going to include excursions, what about those "behind the scenes tours at WDW"? It's very difficult to compare one to the other, but as OP states, the difference, if there is any, isn't as much as some recent posts on these boards would lead one to believe. And cruising can often be even less expensive.

the Deluxe dining plan comes with snack credits so your in between meal snacking or beverages can be included. And with the deluxe dining plan (3 sitdown meals a day plus the snack), I think it would be sufficient for people without purchasing extras off the plan.

And I don't think that behind the scenes tours are the same as port excursions. Without behind the scenes tours, you still have plenty at WDW to fill your days and I'd day the vast majority of guests don't do them. On a cruise, I'd say the majority of people do get off the ships at port and do something (i.e. port excursion - whether through DCL or privately).

My cruises are dictated by a school calendar and I shop for the best value all the time. I did the math on a DVC cruise-$4500 for OV for 5 persons for 4 days in Aug in 2014. When I compared to a comparable WDw vacation, if was within $500. I used a reasonable rate for a deluxe regular room, including discounts, DDP and 5 day WDW tickets for everyone. I thought DCL was a better value, as we got way more (better) food, a movie theater (it's $100 for 5 of us to go to the movies at home), plus top rated broadway quality entertainment.
I think some prices are comparable or cheaper, esp. if you can cruise off-season, and some are quite a bit higher. Easter and Christmas are $7k+ for a week for 4 persons. I can definitely do WDW for less than that--so we will go to WDw this Christmas and maybe next.
I find that RCCL and Princess don't vary their pricing that much for Easter week when you book really early--so we usually sail on them for Easter week. I have consistently gotten under $3K for an OV for 4 persons for the past 3 years. I cannot do WDW at Easter for $3K for a week unless it's offsite and cooking meals, packing lunch (been there/done that).

From my perspective, WDW is in no way more expensive than DCL. This past August, we were originally booked on a 7-nt Western Caribbean on the Fantasy. We're 2 adults, 2 children/WDW adults (ages 13 & 10). The cost for the Fantasy cruise was $5700 (w/ an OBB discount) for a Verandah room. We switched to a WDW stay for almost the exact same dates (1 night less - 6 instead of 7) at the Beach Club with 6-day tickets. THe cost? just over $2400. We then added on a 7-nt Western cruise on Freedom of the Seas in a panoramic oceanview (awesome brand new rooms added in dry dock earlier this year) for $2800. So for about $5200, we had 6 nights in WDW and 7 nights on Freedom of the Seas for $500 less than the cost of just 7 nights on the Fantasy. Meals in WDW probably added on approx another $1000. So in total, for $500 more, we got pretty much double the vacation. The Fantasy cruise was switched to a 4-nt on the Magic President's weekend. Very likely our last DCL cruise unfortunately.

From my perspective, WDW is in no way more expensive than DCL. This past August, we were originally booked on a 7-nt Western Caribbean on the Fantasy. We're 2 adults, 2 children/WDW adults (ages 13 & 10). The cost for the Fantasy cruise was $5700 (w/ an OBB discount) for a Verandah room. We switched to a WDW stay for almost the exact same dates (1 night less - 6 instead of 7) at the Beach Club with 6-day tickets. THe cost? just over $2400. We then added on a 7-nt Western cruise on Freedom of the Seas in a panoramic oceanview (awesome brand new rooms added in dry dock earlier this year) for $2800. So for about $5200, we had 6 nights in WDW and 7 nights on Freedom of the Seas for $500 less than the cost of just 7 nights on the Fantasy. Meals in WDW probably added on approx another $1000. So in total, for $500 more, we got pretty much double the vacation. The Fantasy cruise was switched to a 4-nt on the Magic President's weekend. Very likely our last DCL cruise unfortunately.
How do you get 6nights at the bc for 2400. Tkts alone for a family of four would be 1200 or more. Im just curious. Im really shocked at what people pay for their cruises. I had a cruised booked this october cat 5e on the fantasy for 4300. We cancelled it for the hawaii cruise. Were a family of four too.

the problem i see with this comparison is if you book the polynesian (deluxe) and comparing it to a veranda room (moderate at best) your comparing apples to oranges. its like me comparing the veranda (moderate) to the pop century (value) and saying 'see, it is more expensive'. its your scenario in reverse.
Wouldn't you rather have a Verandah over any room? Don't see how you can say that a verandah is moderate. Maybe category, and I'm also a DVC member with points. JW

No, they wouldn't be the same. We sail concierge on DCL. I won't say what my last cruise on DCL cost in a Cat. S concierge suite but I can tell you that we will be spending a week at Disney during Christmas this year in a two bedroom villa -cash reservation (w/discount) at the Boardwalk, plus hopper tickets, Osbourne Lights dessert party, Candlelight processional dinner and rest of the meals out of pocket for about 5K less. So for my family WDW is a less expensive vacation even during a prime week.

Concierge is one of the highesBut what would the cost difference be if you chose a 2 bedroom at
the Deluxe dining plan comes with snack credits so your in between meal snacking or beverages can be included. And with the deluxe dining plan (3 sitdown meals a day plus the snack), I think it would be sufficient for people without purchasing extras off the plan.

And I don't think that behind the scenes tours are the same as port excursions. Without behind the scenes tours, you still have plenty at WDW to fill your days and I'd day the vast majority of guests don't do them. On a cruise, I'd say the majority of people do get off the ships at port and do something (i.e. port excursion - whether through DCL or privately).
A bottle of water is considered a snack. And one per day is enough? Also, try pricing your WDW vacation at the Grand Floridian DVC property and see what the price looks like. You're comparing one of the most expensive rooms on the ship, after all. We just stayed at the Grand Floridian club level (regular room, not a suite) and even with the AP discount, it was almost $2K for 3 nights in June. And that didn't include anything except the room, access to the concierge, and the food and drinks in the lounge. I don't mean to be argumentative, but I've always found DCL to be a quite reasonably priced vacation, especially in an interior room on the classic ships.

Wouldn't you rather have a Verandah over any room? Don't see how you can say that a verandah is moderate. Maybe category, and I'm also a DVC member with points. JW
i'm not sure what some of this means but...

no I would not rather have a verandah. we prefer ocean view. we have had verandas and have found we do not use them enough to justify the cost. ocean view is exactly what we enjoy, nothing more nothing less.

I would say insides would be values, verandas moderates, and conceirge deluxe. that would be my take on classifications but its jmo.

I have no idea what your last sentence means, i'm sorry, so I can't answer.

I would compare a inside room to a standard room at a deluxe, and a verandah room to a lagoon view. I dont get comparing room types on a ship to different classes of hotels. Every room on a ship excluding concierge has the same amenities. The rooms are basically the same. The only thing different is the view. There is a big difference in amenities between a value resort and a deluxe. The poster who said that makes no sense. If inside rooms on a ship got flat pillows, no soap or conditioner, couldnt use the gym, had to find transportation to another ship to eat at a table service restaurant, and oh yeah prohibited from pool slides then yeah I would say they compared to a value resort.

Last edited:
i'm not sure what some of this means but...

no I would not rather have a verandah. we prefer ocean view. we have had verandas and have found we do not use them enough to justify the cost. ocean view is exactly what we enjoy, nothing more nothing less.

I would say insides would be values, verandas moderates, and conceirge deluxe. that would be my take on classifications but its jmo.

I have no idea what your last sentence means, i'm sorry, so I can't answer.
The difference between a inside, oceanview and verandah is like the difference between a standard, gardenview, and lagoon view at any disney deluxe. All the amenities are the same.

I personally think, as many have said that it really depends on how you travel and how many you travel with. As others mentioned, the price is partially dependent on where you stay and how you stay (dining plan, park hoppers, etc.). For me however the difference comes in that hotel rooms don't charge per individual, they charge per room with variations in price being on the size/location/amenities of the room. Cruises charge per person (for food and the like) in addition to the room. Splitting the cost of a cruise between three people doesn't work out much better than two where as splitting a hotel room in Disney World changes the price drastically. For families this may not matter so much but for people travelling with friends like myself, it makes a difference. That being said with the added cost of the runDisney race I'm running before the next cruise my prices between the two legs (the same amount of days for each) even out when you consider souvenirs, transfers, excursions, meals in WDW, etc. Actually when I consider it WDW may be a tad higher but not by much and it would certainly be lower if I wasn't running the races.

A bottle of water is considered a snack. And one per day is enough? Also, try pricing your WDW vacation at the Grand Floridian DVC property and see what the price looks like. You're comparing one of the most expensive rooms on the ship, after all. We just stayed at the Grand Floridian club level (regular room, not a suite) and even with the AP discount, it was almost $2K for 3 nights in June. And that didn't include anything except the room, access to the concierge, and the food and drinks in the lounge. I don't mean to be argumentative, but I've always found DCL to be a quite reasonably priced vacation, especially in an interior room on the classic ships.

Ummm, I didn't price out anything. I was pointing out that the price comparison wasn't exactly "fair".

The Polynesian with the Deluxe Dining Plan & tickets versus a regular balcony AND NO EXTRAS, isn't an accurate price comparison.

And yes, when we've had the deluxe dining plan, I have not paid out of pocket for any extras.

There are extras for both that are equal (gratuities, shopping, alcohol) but the Polynesian with deluxe dining and park tickets pretty much keeps you busy and fed/watered all day. On a cruise, you need to include port excursions plus any other extras that would be covered by your WDW package that you would most likely use on the cruise (I'm not going to be away from the ship for 4-6 hours and not take a bottle of water with me so yes, bottled water needs to be factored in.)

I didn't even touch the fact that I consider the room is better at the Polynesian (you get 2 queen beds and a fold down couch versus 1 queen bed a fold down couch, and an upper bunk - not to mention the size difference, the location difference, the amenities difference - like the access to the better pools, the fireworks viewing from the beach, etc.) or that the food you can get with the deluxe dining plan will blow away any food that is included in the cruise fare, and that you can enjoy more adult dining venues with your deluxe plan credits (which weren't included in the cruise costs), or full restaurant meals via room service on the deluxe dining plan (not just chicken fingers, burgers, etc.)

Concierge is one of the highesBut what would the cost difference be if you chose a 2 bedroom at

We will be in a 2 bedroom at the Boardwalk Inn and Villas and I stated that in my post you quoted. Once again, based on how my family travels a WDW vacation is less expensive for us than a DCL cruise.

Last edited:
Whoever thinks that cruise food is better than you would get using deluxe dining plan at Disney is absolutely insane. Except for buffets Disney dining is cooked to order and fresh , not to mention the signature dining like citricos , yacht club steakhouse, etc.

The majority of cruise food is banquet style high volume cooking. Not to mention that vastly higher number of choices of ethnic options and themes that u get at WDW.

It's not even a comparison

How do you get 6nights at the bc for 2400. Tkts alone for a family of four would be 1200 or more. Im just curious. Im really shocked at what people pay for their cruises. I had a cruised booked this october cat 5e on the fantasy for 4300. We cancelled it for the hawaii cruise. Were a family of four too.

There are travel agents that have very discounted group rates. Polynesian was $199 a night from mid August through Labor Day with them. I stayed club level at the Poly for 6 nights in June booking with them for less than it would have cost me with my AP discount.

ETA: They aren't allowed to be mentioned on the Dis. So I can't post the name or tell you in a private message.

Thread title might read better if it said "For me, DCL cruising cheaper than WDW".....since I'm sure many of us don't go with the mantra that "we only stay in deluxe resorts".

Not sure how a verandah room is a 1to1 comparison with a Deluxe resort like the Polynesian. A verandah room, at best, is a comparison with a moderate resort. On a cruise ship the only rooms I might compare with the Deluxe resorts are concierge or more likely suites.

On our honeymoon, my wife and I spent 1 night at the Grand Floridian and then the rest of our time at the Boardwalk. Our opinion after that was the GF rooms aren't really any better than what you get at say a Marriott hotel and for 2-3x the price. We just can't justify paying that kind of premium. When at WDW, you spend so little time at the resort. I don't see the benefit of paying $4-500 a night for a room you only sleep in. I do see the benefit of being close to the parks and on the monorail path, but is that worth a $2-300 premium each night? We could easily pay the prices that DCL charges, but we don't see the value in it and only cruise with them when we can get great *GT rates in the last 1-2 months before the sailings in Galveston (which this year really haven't materialized). 2 years ago, we sailed the Wonder out of Galveston for 7 days for $750 each in a VGT. This year, the best they've offered is about $1500 each. In comparison, we went to WDW last December for 8 days and stayed at a value resort and had free dining and payed around $1900 for both of us.

It's known in some parts of these boards as the "magical deal". It's only available through a certain travel agent and it's only for about a 3 week period leading into Labor Day. So only if you're traveling the second half of August into very early September, can you take advantage of it. Fortunately, that's our normal vacation time - the gap in between when the kids' summer camp ends and school starts (typically the Wednesday after Labor Day here in NYC).

There are travel agents that have very discounted group rates. Polynesian was $199 a night from mid August through Labor Day with them. I stayed club level at the Poly for 6 nights in June booking with them for less than it would have cost me with my AP discount.

ETA: They aren't allowed to be mentioned on the Dis. So I can't post the name or tell you in a private message.

I know all about this agency I've got quotes from them. I just got a quote for this Dec. 7 nights at the BWI plus tickets 3700. I booked an OGT out of Galveston instead for 3200. I got a quote last year on their presidents day special. That's peak season at WDW. A standard room at WL was 2600 that did not include tickets. I ended up booked a OGT on the Magic for 3300. I got a quote from them last Sept for a week at the beach club with tickets was 2700. That was a good price, but then discounts came out on the SC cruises and I cancelled that too. When I had AP's to WDW and the discounts were 40% and I had the TIW WDW was a probably a cheaper vacation. We already had tickets and we got the 20% off on food so I see where your coming from. Now AP's for my family are well over 3k and AP discounts stink. My kids would be bored to death going to WDW three times a year to get the value out of them. They would rather cruise and see new things. They also prefer Universal over WDW and I won't even get into the cost difference there.

There's a part of me that would love to go back to WDW we have a lot of good memories there. We have been to WDW 9 times stayed club level many times when club level was 300-400 a night. I guess the value isn't there for us anymore. I can't pay 50% more to do something I've done 9 times. I feel the same way about DCL I can't pay 50% more to go back to the Caribbean. I still manage to find some deals on DCL and there's still a lot of destinations we haven't seen. I'm sure we'll eventually get tired of DCL and move on to a line with more itinerary's.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter