DCL cruising cheaper than WDW

Rogillio

DIS Veteran
There is always a lot of talk about how expensive DCL is but I think DCL is a real bargin compared to WDW. I just picked a 4 day cruise for next September and compared to 4 nights at the Polynesian.

4 Day DCL Cruise
2 Adults
Veranda room
Ground transportion
$1,934.14
4 Days WDW
2 Adults
Polynesian
Delux Dining
Ground transportion
$2,707.76

I don't know how these numbers would compare for peak summer months and adding in 2 kids but I was suprised at how much cheaper cruising is. I guess if I picked a cheap hotel WDW might be cheaper but I always wanted to stay the Polynesian but it is usually booked up.

Last edited:
You really aren't comparing like with like. But I admire your thinking :)

I understand it is hard to compare a cruise to a theme park. I was just looking a the relative costs of each trip. I know the type of hotel we usually get and the type of room we room we get on a cruise. We've done both trips many times and there are pro and cons to each.

It really depends. For longer vacations (7 nights), WDW is often a better deal - especially since they seem to regularly offer either a percent off or even free dining.

And you have to remember that there are more costs associated with the cruise than what you've listed above.

For both the parks and the cruise you'd have gratuity so fine, that's equal and we'll say the same about shopping and alcohol.

But where's you money for excursions? Adult dining (which lets face it, if you have the deluxe dining plan at WDW, you're taking advantage of those 2 credit meals often)? And other "little" things that pop up on a cruise like Bingo, popcorn, soda from a can, or bottled water?

It really depends. For longer vacations (7 nights), WDW is often a better deal - especially since they seem to regularly offer either a percent off or even free dining.

And you have to remember that there are more costs associated with the cruise than what you've listed above.

For both the parks and the cruise you'd have gratuity so fine, that's equal and we'll say the same about shopping and alcohol.

But where's you money for excursions? Adult dining (which lets face it, if you have the deluxe dining plan at WDW, you're taking advantage of those 2 credit meals often)? And other "little" things that pop up on a cruise like Bingo, popcorn, soda from a can, or bottled water?

But if you are including excursions, then surely you need to include park tickets with a WDW trip? Which is why I said it's not like for like, not really.

But if you are including excursions, then surely you need to include park tickets with a WDW trip? Which is why I said it's not like for like, not really.

Just to clarify, the WDW package includes park tickets.

There will be additional costs with both deals.

This year we did 2 days in the parks and 3 days on a cruise. I think next year we will do 3 days in the parks and 3 days cruising. We usually don't do the meal plan though as we like flexibility and being able to skip a meal. But I know food is expensive at WDW so added in the mean plan for rough comparrison.

I wish Disney would bring back their land/sea packages. You can still do land/sea trips but it's really just two seperate deals.

I would love to take a cruise from NYC, but they seem to only sail in September, October, and November which is prime hurricane season. I don't get why they can't have cruises scheduled in the summer from NYC before hurricane season.

My friend was scheduled to take a cruise on a different cruise line to Bermuda during the hurricane a week or so ago, and they ended up having to cruise to Canada to avoid the storm. I would never plan a fall cruise. That is just asking for trouble.

What gratuities are there with the parks? Also, I've never bought popcorn, canned soda, or bottled water on the ship. Why would you? There is plenty to eat on the ship, why buy popcorn? Fountain soda is free and the DCL water is fine, no need for bottled water.

What gratuities are there with the parks? Also, I've never bought popcorn, canned soda, or bottled water on the ship. Why would you? There is plenty to eat on the ship, why buy popcorn? Fountain soda is free and the DCL water is fine, no need for bottled water.

If you have the deluxe dining plan, I would hope that you're paying gratuities with your meals along with $5 a day for your room housekeeper.

And you may not buy bottled water or canned soda, but a lot of people do - and it's included in what's been included in your WDW park trip (snack credits or you can sub a dessert for a bottled drink), and I've seen lots of people with bottled water in both WDW and on the ships.

And I don't find ships water "fine".

That price for WDW is a non-discounted package. It's almost certain that there will be a room discount for September which will bring the cost down significantly. You can purchase your tickets from Undercover Tourist and save a few dollars there. Forego the Deluxe Dining and pay out of pocket.

the problem i see with this comparison is if you book the polynesian (deluxe) and comparing it to a veranda room (moderate at best) your comparing apples to oranges. its like me comparing the veranda (moderate) to the pop century (value) and saying 'see, it is more expensive'. its your scenario in reverse.

Reactions: TAK
We quit going to WDW because cruising was less expensive for us. I only like staying deluxe at WDW. We eat only at table service restaurants and mostly the signatures. The cost of going to WDW the way I like to go to WDW is just too expensive now. I tried pop for one night. You would have to pay me to get me to stay there again. We tried Port Orleans for a couple of nights...meh. I know I'm not a complete resort snob because I love Cabana Bay at Universal, and that is a value resort. The discounts offered at WDW stink. 25% off is like the max now, and the deluxe resorts are all over 500.00+ a night.
I see people post on here that they'll go to WDW to get there Mickey fix, and cruise another line because they refuse to pay DCL prices. I guess I'm the complete opposite because I refuse to pay WDW prices, but I continue to find deals on DCL.

This is exactly why/how we justified booking our Disney cruise for next month. We would have spent at least that amount for a WDW trip (ok, we are doing 4 nights in WDW prior to our cruise), but having been to WDW so many times we wanted to try something different, yet still get a Disney-like experience. Of course, the OP is comparing apples to oranges but I'm pretty sure that's kinda the point.

the problem i see with this comparison is if you book the polynesian (deluxe) and comparing it to a veranda room (moderate at best) your comparing apples to oranges. its like me comparing the veranda (moderate) to the pop century (value) and saying 'see, it is more expensive'. its your scenario in reverse.

I was comparing what we book when we sail compared to what hotel class we book at the Mouse House. This year we stayed at Disney's Beach Club (really cool place as you can walk to Epcot from there) and last year at the Grand Floridian and the trip before that at the Wilderness Lodge. So next time we will try the Polynesian. When we cruise we usually get standard veranda room.

We have sailed two 7-night cruises on the Disney Fantasy in September/October in a category 4a stateroom in the last several years. We have also taken several 7-night trips to WDW staying in deluxe resorts, CR, WL & Poly with 7-day water park and more tickets and using TiW for dining during that same timeframe. I can tell you for us it is a wash. DCL and WDW both run about $1,000 per night all inclusive for our family of 3.

Martin

If you have the deluxe dining plan, I would hope that you're paying gratuities with your meals along with $5 a day for your room housekeeper.

And you may not buy bottled water or canned soda, but a lot of people do - and it's included in what's been included in your WDW park trip (snack credits or you can sub a dessert for a bottled drink), and I've seen lots of people with bottled water in both WDW and on the ships.

And I don't find ships water "fine".
Good point on the table service tips. However, most people don't tip maids at hotels.

MUN

I was comparing what we book when we sail compared to what hotel class we book at the Mouse House. This year we stayed at Disney's Beach Club (really cool place as you can walk to Epcot from there) and last year at the Grand Floridian and the trip before that at the Wilderness Lodge. So next time we will try the Polynesian. When we cruise we usually get standard veranda room.

That makes sense -- that cruising is cheaper than WDW for *you*. Do you find the cruise is better value for the money, too? Sometimes I think so, but I can't decide. I love me some all-inclusiveness. :)

It's all about how you do the parks, though, and depending on what resorts you stay at. The resorts you mentioned are all on the higher end of the Disney scale. A night at Pop Century (is a room at Pop Century comparable to a veranda room on the cruise? Apples and oranges, to compare, and debateable, I agree, but it's bigger, I'm sure) can be $120, and a night at the Grand Floridian can be about $530 (I just picked random dates and priced them). That's a $390 difference, and times four days, that's $1560. So using your numbers, the parks would be cheaper with a value or even moderate room.

I really hope that isn't true (about most people not tipping maids).
"Survey data shows that about 30% of U.S. hotel guests leave tips for hotel housekeepers, according to Michael Lynn, a professor at the Cornell University School of Hotel Administration."

I'm surprised it is as high as 30%. I wonder if people are fibbing on these type of surveys.

MUN

Disney World has so many other options and you are not the captive audience that you are on DCL

My DCL Cruise in Feb 25th 2017 Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean with 2A/ 2K in a Cat 4E is costing me $5200 with OBB and comes with $400 OBC but will cost me an extra $336 in gratuities.
Parking at terminal is $120

Total cost before souvenirs, onboard extras like drinks, popcorn, etc... and excursions $5256

When we go to Disney World there so many ways to save than a DCL cruise.

In Dec 2015 we are going to the world and here is our budget
We stay off property in a house we rent costs us approximately $1200 for 3 bedrooms about 10 minutes from Disney World for 7 days
Theme park Tickets for 4 of us with park hopper, no water parks $1657 for 7 days
We are splurging On Mickeys Merry Christmas Tickets $304.60
Parking for 7 days $140
Groceries for meals in the home $250 (and a lot of the meals we do ahead of time, freeze and then heat up in the home.
Food in the Park $300

Total cost before souvenirs and other stuff $3851.60

Since we drive to get to both the travel costs the same so I did not include that. Some people might fly in and staying on property with the transportation is a better option than renting a car and staying off property.

Don’t get me wrong I think the DCL is worth the costs just that there are so many ways to save on Disney World Vacation that are not available on a DCL cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter