• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Daycare Valentine's Party (1 year olds...)

Gah! I'd be a bit put off by this. The daycare is a service you are paying for now you have to do all this work. Also not age appropriate. They should have thought about a way to celebrate within the confines of the daycare that didn't create any work for the parents.

"Put off"? From a CDC Director, how about you put your energy into thanking your center teachers, who work tirelessly to make each day fun and interesting for all ages. Happy to be "of service" to you.
(By the way, "Gah" is not a word...except of course in the urban dictionary!)

I guess I don't understand all the angst about this. I guess some folks are willing to be bent out of shape about anything.

I used to be a "teacher" in the infant room of a church preschool. It was always a preschool, and based on customer demand added a toddler and infant classrooms.

We followed the same calendar as the preschoolers. So we celebrated holidays, participated in the rodeo parade & Mardi Gras parade. I even was expected to post a weekly "curriculum" in our hallway just like the preschoolers.

It did no harm to dress up for Halloween, pass out valentines or "hunt" for Easter eggs. It added a little fun and interest to our day to day activities.

Do none of you with babies talk to them about the grocery store? "Celebrate" Christmas with a 3 month old? Include them in conversations (even though they don't talk?) Read them books (even if they can't read?) Put them in a cute outfit (even if a white onesie would suffice?) Babies learn so much just by being engaged and included "in life."

And day after day after day can get pretty boring in the same infant classroom if you don't change it up just a little. Same thing hanging out in your living room 40 hours a week with no change in routine.

So be happy they want to do something to celebrate the holiday. You don't Have to participate if you don't want to. It's completely optional.

But being all sour about it isn't necessary either. Enjoy having a daycare that does more than the minimum "change a diaper." A little love, enrichment, and FUN is good for babies too!

Yes, of course you are paying someone to take care of your kids all day, but that does not excuse you from being a part of the special occasions your child celebrates. My goodness. I couldn't imagine letting all of this stuff up to "the person I was paying". I loved being a part of my kids' daycare activities. Otherwise, you truly are just dumping them all day and not giving a hoot what the heck they do because you "paid for it". I just couldn't be that disconnected from my kids'.

I used to love dressing them up in red and having them toddle in with the hearts for their teachers and little scribbles on hearts for their friends. I loved the "special" days at daycare. It was a reason to shake the same old routine up a bit! There aren't that many holidays in a year. I think it is ok to do some "work" and celebrate the handful of holidays the year holds.
Beautifully said!!

I don't send my kids to daycare so I'm not really sure how I would feel if I were in the situation, however, I can imagine I'd rather them take care of the activities while I am dealing with working an 8 hour day + commute.

First off, they are working 8 hours or more a day too plus commute.

Second its giving parents the opportunity to be involved in their child's day which is important.

The children need changes in their routine sometimes. And hopefully the care provider is taking care of all activities every day they don't have a party.

Putting a child's name on 12 cards and buying a treat really isn't that big of a deal.

Op, I love the bubble idea! Little ones love bubbles.

I still say "what the heck?" about all those here that seem to think "bring valentines" means they are expected to bring presents. Kids valentines are little cards you can buy anywhere for cheap. I bought mine for $1.67 at the grocery store.

I guess I don't understand all the angst about this. I guess some folks are willing to be bent out of shape about anything.

I used to be a "teacher" in the infant room of a church preschool. It was always a preschool, and based on customer demand added a toddler and infant classrooms.

We followed the same calendar as the preschoolers. So we celebrated holidays, participated in the rodeo parade & Mardi Gras parade. I even was expected to post a weekly "curriculum" in our hallway just like the preschoolers.

It did no harm to dress up for Halloween, pass out valentines or "hunt" for Easter eggs. It added a little fun and interest to our day to day activities.

Do none of you with babies talk to them about the grocery store? "Celebrate" Christmas with a 3 month old? Include them in conversations (even though they don't talk?) Read them books (even if they can't read?) Put them in a cute outfit (even if a white onesie would suffice?) Babies learn so much just by being engaged and included "in life."

And day after day after day can get pretty boring in the same infant classroom if you don't change it up just a little. Same thing hanging out in your living room 40 hours a week with no change in routine.

So be happy they want to do something to celebrate the holiday. You don't Have to participate if you don't want to. It's completely optional.

But being all sour about it isn't necessary either. Enjoy having a daycare that does more than the minimum "change a diaper." A little love, enrichment, and FUN is good for babies too!

I guess I don't understand how it's correct to term the opposing viewpoint as angst or sourness? It's a far different thing to suggest the tiniest ones will likely take more away from songs, decorations and activities versus characterizing it as "leaving one room out of the celebrations". There's plenty of time for them to make it to the two year old room and participate with the cards. I fail to see why tailoring it to focus on the simple elements that suit their needs isn't appropriate?

I used to love dressing them up in red and having them toddle in with the hearts for their teachers and little scribbles on hearts for their friends. I loved the "special" days at daycare. It was a reason to shake the same old routine up a bit! There aren't that many holidays in a year. I think it is ok to do some "work" and celebrate the handful of holidays the year holds.

I'm in the cute camp. This stuff is as much for the caregivers as for the kids. It breaks up the routine and is something to look forward to and talk about to the little ones. There's lots of language practice and the beginnings of time awareness in planning for a holiday.

I love the idea of a party, I just think the cards are overkill at this age, but if my kids went there, I would make it work

"Put off"? From a CDC Director, how about you put your energy into thanking your center teachers, who work tirelessly to make each day fun and interesting for all ages. Happy to be "of service" to you.
(By the way, "Gah" is not a word...except of course in the urban dictionary!)

Wow! Someone got their feathers ruffled. How about not taking personally the thoughts of strangers on this thread? I don't even use daycare since I am a sahm. And how are you of service to me? And when I worked I didn't expect my clients to thank me at every turn. My thanks was the payment I received after I did my job.

Also, as a daycare director I'd think you would want to give some thought to parent's opinions instead of becoming defensive and dismissing them. I stand by my previous post and truly would not want to fill out a bunch of valentines for babies who cannot even read and would probably just stick them in their mouths.

And what do you know, after a simple search I found the word "gah" in the Oxford dictionary.

Definition of gah in English:
exclamation
exasperation or dismay:had to go the dentist this morning (arrived late—gah!)

Origin

Natural exclamation: first recorded in English in theearly 20th century.

Last edited:
the daycare my grandson( 18 months) goes to they always have an art project for the holidays
its cute
they either do hand prints or feet prints for their project and bring home
They also take pics and use the pic in some projects
just construction paper, paint and crayons and they are super creative-no need for PARENTS to send supplies
I do not know what my DIL would DO with the 10-12 valentines cards? save for child to see when older?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter