Daycare Valentine's Party (1 year olds...)

DisneyLover83

DIS Veteran
So the daycare my daughter attends has routine "parties"... Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc. They usually ask you to sign up to bring a snack item. Great, no problem. Last Friday a list was given out with the names of all the kids in your childs class. My daughter is 15 months old and in a room with kids 12 - 18 months old. I don't know why but I thought I had a few more years until I would need to be doing "valentines" for my child. They are 1 years old! They have no idea its even a holiday. What type of things do you give out for a 1 year old, I'm stumped! There are 12 kids in her class so something like a book crossed my mind but thats going to get pricey. Her classroom is peanut free and most parents are anti candy.

Suggestions? Is this even normal for the age?

I scratched my head at that when my son was 1 too. I ended up printing up come cute tags that said "you're my main squeeze" and attached it to a squeezy baby food. You could also do it with a squeeze applesauce to make it cheaper :)

Edit:
This was before pinterest really took off (my son is 8) but I just looked and they have "main squeeze" labels for applesauce on there, also "awesome-sauce" ones. Print them up, buy some go go squeeze, and tie with ribbon. Done.

You give them a little card stock valentine with an appropriate cartoon character on it (like Mickey and Minnie maybe) buy them some red themed fruit chews or marshmallow hearts and send her to class. You'll get a decorated white lunch bag of the same back. Then you keep one or two that you like from her haul, put them in her baby book and call it a day. It's totally cute and we did it when I worked in a day care. 1yo's love to finger paint and scribble on their white mailbox bag just like every other kid.

Hit up Walmart or Dollar Tree they have tons of inexpensive stuff.

I scratched my head at that when my son was 1 too. I ended up printing up come cute tags that said "you're my main squeeze" and attached it to a squeezy baby food. You could also do it with a squeeze applesauce to make it cheaper :)

Oh! Cute idea. I'm pretty sure I was born without a creative bone in my body :upsidedow

Thanks for the suggestions!

So the daycare my daughter attends has routine "parties"... Halloween, Thanksgiving, etc. They usually ask you to sign up to bring a snack item. Great, no problem. Last Friday a list was given out with the names of all the kids in your childs class. My daughter is 15 months old and in a room with kids 12 - 18 months old. I don't know why but I thought I had a few more years until I would need to be doing "valentines" for my child. They are 1 years old! They have no idea its even a holiday. What type of things do you give out for a 1 year old, I'm stumped! There are 12 kids in her class so something like a book crossed my mind but thats going to get pricey. Her classroom is peanut free and most parents are anti candy.

Suggestions? Is this even normal for the age?

Edit:
This was before pinterest really took off (my son is 8) but I just looked and they have "main squeeze" labels for applesauce on there, also "awesome-sauce" ones. Print them up, buy some go go squeeze, and tie with ribbon. Done.

You give them a little card stock valentine with an appropriate cartoon character on it (like Mickey and Minnie maybe) buy them some red themed fruit chews or marshmallow hearts and send her to class. You'll get a decorated white lunch bag of the same back. Then you keep one or two that you like from her haul, put them in her baby book and call it a day. It's totally cute and we did it when I worked in a day care. 1yo's love to finger paint and scribble on their white mailbox bag just like every other kid.

Hit up Walmart or Dollar Tree they have tons of inexpensive stuff.

I am sorry am I the only dis member that is afraid to give out food

No I went to Walmart and saw a pack of 30 cards with out food that is what I am giving out

I am sorry am I the only dis member that is afraid to give out food

No I went to Walmart and saw a pack of 30 cards with out food that is what I am giving out

Food in sealed packages is totally appropriate to give out. Homemade cookies, not so much, but every candy maker out there has a little pack of red and pink themed candy to give out.

Good thing about 1yo's is that you can put everything in the bag fold down the top and hand it right to mom and dad. Then they can choose what they give the toddler to eat.

I'm sure the actual party foods will have to meet certain guidelines as far as what is and is not appropriate.

Well, I guess I'm in the group that thinks valentines to be exchanged between 15 month olds is ridiculous. Sounds like a chore for the parents. Ugh...guess I'm a fuddy duddy.

I think I'm in your camp on this, I feel like this is crazy. Cards? They can't read! This is all extra work for the parents, and what parent needs extra work :scared:

Maybe I feel this way because I am so close to vacation.....19 days till Disney!

I often opt out of food/treats for these events and instead go to the dollar store and buy some foam stickers/craft supplies. You can get a lot with very little money. Then I bring it to daycare when they have their party as an activity for the class.

Other times I've donated baking supplies and the daycare will bake something together.

Honestly, I'd probably go get a box of kids valentine cards with her favorite character, let her "sign" (scribble on) them, and call it a day. Valentine's day is not halloween. There does not need to be a treat to go along with the card, unless you particularly *want* to provide one.

Of course toddlers exchanging valentines is sort of silly... but it's a fun out-of-the-ordinary experience at daycare. And I think kids even that young enjoy receiving things and understand that a party is exciting. And although they can't read at that age, they're starting to recognize characters. I remember mine coming home and being very excited about seeing which characters were on their valentines. "Look! Spiderman! Look! Minnie Mouse! A power ranger!" They would sort and organize those cards in a dozen different ways.

Plain cards. But really, given the option, I'd probably skip even that.
my grandson is that age-to think he would be expected to exchange valentines cards with the kids in his class is LAUGHABLE
I can NOT imagine a child doing this unless they have a CONCEPT of what it is

I suggest to the head of the daycare that holiday parties for one year olds are inappopriate at that age. And asking parents to supply any of it should not be requested either.

Having the children make a craft for their parents is more acceptable. But, even the 1 year olds may be too young for that, as the caregiver will have to most if not all the work.

Dare I ask what they're going to "do to you" if you don't play along?

Paint baby's hand and slap it on a piece of paper 15 times "You're my Valentine, hands down" or something like that. (It's not a holiday here though.) I liked the parties because we didn't have to do schoolwork but that wouldn't matter in a daycare.

We have this at my day care too, DD is 19 months and it's the 2nd year we are doing it.

I went to CVS got a box of Mickey and Minnie cards and that's it.

However the people at my job laugh DD gets homework! Make a craft from a recycled object, make a thankful hand (your supposed to put things your thankful on it). I get its a little crazy but the day care goes from 6 weeks through preschool so we play along. I think it's more to included the whole school but it creates work for this Mom!

I would send some cheap valentines with your child's name signed on them, by you, not the baby, and I would send a group size snack like a big box of Cheerios/goldfish or whatever cracker that age group can eat safely without choking. That is if you even feel like participating. Ridiculous age to have a holiday party. I would not put more than $10 into your contribution or worry about spending $1 a kid at the dollar store on something they won't even appreciate.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter