Dating and Engagements - How long?

mami2camjax

Mouseketeer
Going off of a few other threads that have recently been posted about relationships which are great to read, such great stories, I thought I'd ask….

How long did you date your significant other before getting engaged?
How long of an engagement did you have?

If you dated for a short time and got engaged/married or dated for years before getting engaged/married, what were your family/friends reactions? Did they think you rushed too quickly or questioned if it were ever going to happen?

We dated for 3 1/2 years before getting engaged and then had an 18 month engagement.

A lot of people thought we got engaged too soon (I had just turned 22). I wanted a long engagement though. DH is 5 years older than me though so while I was the first of my friends to get engaged, get married, get pregnant, etc. He was one of the last of his group of friends.

We dated for 2.5 years before we got engaged, then got married 2 years later. But, we knew we were going to get married after dating for less than 6 months. We'd met each other's parents by then. I was in law school and felt no rush to get engaged, and DH popped the question about a week after my graduation.

I was also in no rush for the actual wedding, so he was actually the one who moved that along for us.

That probably sounds a bit weird the way I wrote it, because I love my husband very deeply, madly, truly but I just wasn't in a big hurry for the wedding. In retrospect, I think I was intimidated by the planning and finding a dress and all of the malarkey that goes with the ceremony, so I just kind of left it open and enjoyed playing house for a few years before dealing with it all.

We dated for four months before moving in together (it happened we both needed new living arrangements around the same time). We were engaged one year after our first date. The wedding was four months later. Total time together before marriage was 16 months.

Dated for two years, engaged for one year. Knew we wanted to get married within a very short time, but needed to finish college first so we could support ourselves.

DFi and I dated for almost 5 years before he proposed. We are having a very long engagement so I can finish school. He proposed 10/14/2010 and our wedding is 12/22/12 which is our 7th anniversary.

Dated for 7 weeks before we got engaged. :)

Engaged for 5 months.

Just celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary a few weeks ago. :)

ETA: Yes, our families were surprised and not happy about the idea. My family (for the most part) kept their opinions to themselves. His did not, and our relationship was strained the first few years of our marriage.

Going off of a few other threads that have recently been posted about relationships which are great to read, such great stories, I thought I'd ask….

How long did you date your significant other before getting engaged?about a year and a half
How long of an engagement did you have? about a year and nine months

If you dated for a short time and got engaged/married or dated for years before getting engaged/married, what were your family/friends reactions? Did they think you rushed too quickly or questioned if it were ever going to happen?

We started dating around the middle of sophomore year of college (we did date on and off a bit freshman year, too, but it was very casual). We got engaged at the beginning of senior year and married one year after college graduation. We wanted to get married sooner than that, but figured it was smarter to have time planning the wedding and starting jobs first. Nobody thought it was too quick or too long, or at least nobody ever mentioned anything to us (they knew we didn't care what they thought anyway :lmao:)

Moved in with DH within a week of meeting him, and was married 8 mos later. At the time family/friends thought I was insane.

We started dating in 2004 (I was 24 and he was 29), we moved in together the same year. In 2007, we bought a house (3 years together). On Valentines day 2009, he proposed (together for 5 years). We got married October 2, 2010, so we were engaged almost 2 years. We are now 32 and 37.

My family knew it was bound to happen and treated us as if we were married anyway.

We dated about 6-8 weeks before I we got engaged, and I hadn't intended to ask her that evening, particularly -- it just sort of slipped out, somewhat to my surprise. It wasn't a surprise when she said yes, though. I mean, that's not a question you ask if you aren't pretty sure of the answer. ;) The hard part was that it was a Tuesday, we couldn't get to a jewelry store until Saturday, and she didn't want to tell anyone before she had a ring. That was a LONG week!

The engagement was supposed to be 7 months, turned out to be 5 thanks to the Army and it's mysterious ways. :confused3

How long did you date your significant other before getting engaged?
How long of an engagement did you have?

:lmao: about 14years and 4 kids... yes people questioned.. I questioned daily. I have no idea what was up his butt... my parents offered to pay 11 years ago.. then they died... then it was put on the back burner. I was NOT happy about this.. He could have cared less :rolleyes: I still hold some resentment over it since the wedding I got was nothing like I wanted.. yeah yeah it might not matter to some blah blah blah it did to me... he'll pay for it big time when the kids get married... and yes I do mean pay :)

My DH and I dated 6 months before we moved in together, we got engaged 3 months later. We were engaged for just about 2 years and have been married for nearly 5 years.

When we moved in together so soon, friend and family thought I was crazy; but when we got engaged they knew he was the "one" for me. Nobody ever thought I would settle down and get married. I just couldnt be bothered. Funny what falling in love with someone does to you. :goodvibes

Met in February. Started dating seriously in beginning of June. Married at the end of November.

Family and friends were thrilled. They could tell this was the real deal.

We'll celebrate our 19th wedding anniversary in a couple of months.

Let's see: we technically dated for 5 months before we moved in together, with other roommates. We'd gone to high school together and were friends for 4.5 years before dating. We lived together for 4 months before our engagement. Then we were engaged 14.5 months before our wedding date. Altogether, I've loved him for 22 years. We've been together for over 17 years, married 13.5.

DFi and I dated for almost 2 years before we were officially engaged. I say "officially" because we'd been talking about marriage for about 6 months. I just assumed we'd pick a date and do it...not that he'd plan out a whole fancy bended-knee proposal with a ring and all :love:

We were engaged on Sunday, September 5, 2010 and we'll be married on October 15. So 13 month engagement. I can't wait!

Dated for a year before getting engaged. Engaged for 10 months before the wedding. Been married for 19 years now.

Dated 3 months got engaged for 5 months and then was married and have been married for 26 1/2 years now.

My DH and I dated for 9 months and were only engaged for 1 month(he was in the army, only time he could get time off) Everyone thought we rushed everything. And were way to young. Me 18, him 20. Some people later told us that they gave us 3 years before we divorced.(Nice ugh) Well 21 years later we are still very happly married. This November will be 22 years.:hug:

My oldest DD(20) had been dating her now fience(sp) for 3 1/2 years. They will be getting married in March. That is a 6 month engagment. She will be 21 and he will be 23 when they get married.:lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter