Danube River Cruise Meets Thread

calypso726 is correct. They are 2 different companies. ABD is definitely sailing with AmaWaterways, not Avalon Waterways.

Sayhello

Sayhello - Just read through your Mediterranean Trip Report and loved it! Will you be doing another Trip Report for the Danube?

Sayhello - Just read through your Mediterranean Trip Report and loved it! Will you be doing another Trip Report for the Danube?
I'm glad you enjoyed my Trip Report! :)

And yes, I definitely will be writing a Trip Report for the Danube River Cruise! Of course, I've got a couple others I need to finish, too. :oops:

Sayhello

I'm glad you enjoyed my Trip Report! :)

And yes, I definitely will be writing a Trip Report for the Danube River Cruise! Of course, I've got a couple others I need to finish, too. :oops:

Sayhello

I admire your dedication. I take a ton of pictures, keep them in albums, but haven't put together trip reports yet.

I admire your dedication. I take a ton of pictures, keep them in albums, but haven't put together trip reports yet.
Aw, thanks!! :) I *love* doing them, but it's really, really time consuming. I have no idea how folks do them while they're actually on the trip!!!

Sayhello

So, I am looking through the options we have for excursions and am having a tough time deciding. We are on the West itinerary, Budapest to Vilshofen. Has anyone decided what they will definitely be choosing? If so, please share the what and why. The only ting I have decided for certain is going on our own in Bratislava over karaoke for the evening activity. No one needs to hear me sing :eek:

So, I am looking through the options we have for excursions and am having a tough time deciding. We are on the West itinerary, Budapest to Vilshofen. Has anyone decided what they will definitely be choosing? If so, please share the what and why. The only ting I have decided for certain is going on our own in Bratislava over karaoke for the evening activity. No one needs to hear me sing :eek:
No, I've made a couple of decisions, but I'm still pretty torn. I'm assuming you're going by what's on the website?

Like you, I think I'll probably go out into Bratislava. Karaoke is not one of my strong suits. Although it might be an interesting way to get to know some fellow Adventurers!

In Melk, I'm probably doing Option B (the wine tasting) with Option B-1 (touring Dürnstein & the castle). As much as I love bike riding on my recumbent bike, regular old bikes are really hard on my wrists & back, and I'm not much for riding them long distance.

In Linz, I'm looking at Option B, the salt mines. I've heard good things about the salt mines.

In Passau, I think I'll go for Option A, the walking tour of Passau and then the Tree Path Kopfing.

None of this is written in stone yet, but it's how I'm leaning. (You don't actually have to decide until the night before is what I heard!)

Sayhello

I am definitely taking in the Mozart and Strauss concert in Vienna. I just hope my expectations are not too high.

No, I've made a couple of decisions, but I'm still pretty torn. I'm assuming you're going by what's on the website?

Like you, I think I'll probably go out into Bratislava. Karaoke is not one of my strong suits. Although it might be an interesting way to get to know some fellow Adventurers!

In Melk, I'm probably doing Option B (the wine tasting) with Option B-1 (touring Dürnstein & the castle). As much as I love bike riding on my recumbent bike, regular old bikes are really hard on my wrists & back, and I'm not much for riding them long distance.

In Linz, I'm looking at Option B, the salt mines. I've heard good things about the salt mines.

In Passau, I think I'll go for Option A, the walking tour of Passau and then the Tree Path Kopfing.

None of this is written in stone yet, but it's how I'm leaning. (You don't actually have to decide until the night before is what I heard!)

Sayhello
Where are you finding all of the options?

Sayhello

I am leaning the same way you are for Melk and Linz. I've recently suffered an injury in my hip/leg/groin area and don't know that I will be up for a long bike ride. The MRI is in a couple of weeks and I don't know how long it will take to heal. The whole salt mine thing sounds cool though so I am intrigued. Where I am really torn is Vienna afternoon and evening options. Afternoon A- Spanish Riding School, B - bike ride (if not too long) to Klosternbeug Abbey or C - On our own.

I am definitely taking in the Mozart and Strauss concert in Vienna. I just hope my expectations are not too high.

Here is the other area I am torn with ... Grrrrr. Do we do the concert or go to local wine house tavern.

Here is the other area I am torn with ... Grrrrr. Do we do the concert or go to local wine house tavern.

JMO but there is wine all over the world, there is only one Vienna and that to me is Mozart and Strauss (and the Vienna Boy's Choir - but their concert is not offered).

JMO but there is wine all over the world, there is only one Vienna and that to me is Mozart and Strauss (and the Vienna Boy's Choir - but their concert is not offered).
That's kind of how I feel (although if it included the Vienna Boy's Choir, there'd be NO hesitation!!) I'm just afraid it could either be sublime or sublimely boring. :(

I am leaning the same way you are for Melk and Linz. I've recently suffered an injury in my hip/leg/groin area and don't know that I will be up for a long bike ride. The MRI is in a couple of weeks and I don't know how long it will take to heal. The whole salt mine thing sounds cool though so I am intrigued. Where I am really torn is Vienna afternoon and evening options. Afternoon A- Spanish Riding School, B - bike ride (if not too long) to Klosternbeug Abbey or C - On our own.
Yes, I'm torn about Vienna, also. If the bike ride is short, I'd *love* to do Klosternbeurg Abbey. But the Spanish Riding School is probably cool, too.

Sorry about your hip/leg/groin! :( Did you injure it, or did it just start bothering you? I hope it's minor whatever it is!

Sayhello

Excellent point. Now if it was the Vienna Boy's choir then that would make it an easy choice. I did take a look at their website to see if there were any concerts while we are there. Sadly, none to be found.

That's kind of how I feel (although if it included the Vienna Boy's Choir, there'd be NO hesitation!!) I'm just afraid it could either be sublime or sublimely boring. :(

Yes, I'm torn about Vienna, also. If the bike ride is short, I'd *love* to do Klosternbeurg Abbey. But the Spanish Riding School is probably cool, too.

Sorry about your hip/leg/groin! :( Did you injure it, or did it just start bothering you? I hope it's minor whatever it is!

Sayhello

A Vienna Boy's choir performance would have been awesome! We share the same concerns for the concert. Then again it is a rare thing in my experience to find an ABD offering boring. But there is a first time for everything. Maybe I'll just make Wally pick what to do with this one and I won't need to decide :p

According to the ortho doc it could be due to a bit of flattening of my femoral head which may have caused a labral tear in my hip. Then again it could be because I got the brilliant idea to take up pole dancing at 47 years old as a fun and interesting way to exercise :crutches: But thanks I hope it turns out to be something minor too.

Alright who is getting excited for this river cruise adventure??? Just a few weeks away for those of us on the DVC member sailing! Anyone else doing a pre-night in Budapest? The hotel was changed to the Marriott which seems to be in a much better location.

Alright who is getting excited for this river cruise adventure??? Just a few weeks away for those of us on the DVC member sailing! Anyone else doing a pre-night in Budapest? The hotel was changed to the Marriott which seems to be in a much better location.
I'm getting quite excited, and waiting to hear the reports from the DVC sailing! I'm also doing a pre-night in Budapest (included as an Adventure Insider) but I was always told it was the Marriott. Maybe they couldn't originally get enough rooms for the DVC sailing. What hotel were you originally given?

Sayhello

Can't wait!!! We have a week long pre-trip in Ireland and then a pre night in Budapest before the DVC river cruise. I'm trying to figure out packing and what the weather will be like in Ireland and on our Danube stops so I can pack accordingly. Still waiting on our box to come in as well.

Hi Calypso,

When are you in Ireland .... or in Blarney ... Cork ?

If you are going to be in " Blarney Castle " there is a very good Ice Cream & Coffee shop just across from the entrance.

Worth a visit ..... on your way to the big ..... Shop " Blarney Woolen Mills "

Let me know when you might be in Blarney & where you are staying in Cork And I might meet up with you over a coffee .

I live in Cork & about 20 min drive from Blarney.

Hi Calypso,

When are you in Ireland .... or in Blarney ... Cork ?

If you are going to be in " Blarney Castle " there is a very good Ice Cream & Coffee shop just across from the entrance.

Worth a visit ..... on your way to the big ..... Shop " Blarney Woolen Mills "

Let me know when you might be in Blarney & where you are staying in Cork And I might meet up with you over a coffee .

I live in Cork & about 20 min drive from Blarney.

Hi Woodview! That would be awesome! We will be in Cork, staying at Hayfield Manor on June 30th for one night only. That day we are doing a city tour, Rock of Cashel and visiting Blarney Castle. Then planning for dinner at Orchids. We'd love to meet you for coffee, if your schedule and ours permit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter