Danube River Cruise Meets Thread

Wow! That is a long wait. Nice job snagging direct flights. We look forward to meeting you and everyone else too! I am hoping we are lucky enough to have some of the amazing guides we have had on previous ABDs for the river cruise. They have always played a big part in making our ABD experiences all that more wonderful!

Interestingly, it looks like a few cabin categories have re-opened on the Jul 21 - 28, 2016 cruise. They've got prices listed again for categories AB, BA, BB, C and D.

Sayhello

I would speculate that some families are thinking twice about travel to Europe with all that is going on there. IMO the Danube area is quite insulated from all the upheaval following the refugee migration. Plus as you can see it "isn't cheap" to fly to Europe these days.

I would speculate that some families are thinking twice about travel to Europe with all that is going on there. IMO the Danube area is quite insulated from all the upheaval following the refugee migration. Plus as you can see it "isn't cheap" to fly to Europe these days.

You are probably right. I'm not too concerned and am not prone to worrying myself enough to stop me from traveling. Heck, if I did start worrying about weaponized people who are cray cray I'd move out of my own country and go live somewhere else :upsidedow Yeah, airfare to Europe is pretty steep which is why I keep on with my travel hacking hobby. I was able to get flights from MIA-DUB for our pre-trip and then DUB-BUD-PRG-MIA all on miles :banana:

Congrats on the airfare. I agree about worrying about traveling for statistically you have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning than involved with terror.

You are probably right. I'm not too concerned and am not prone to worrying myself enough to stop me from traveling. Heck, if I did start worrying about weaponized people who are cray cray I'd move out of my own country and go live somewhere else :upsidedow Yeah, airfare to Europe is pretty steep which is why I keep on with my travel hacking hobby. I was able to get flights from MIA-DUB for our pre-trip and then DUB-BUD-PRG-MIA all on miles :banana:

Congrats on the airfare. I agree about worrying about traveling for statistically you have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning than involved with terror.
Besides, I really hate to let the terrorists win, because you being too scared to travel is just what they want...

It's only the one cruise that has availability again. All the other departures are waitlisting.

Sayhello

My family is sailing July 28 -Aug 4. We're doing the 3 day extension in Prague on the front end July 26-28. I don't see anyone else on the boards for our dates but maybe if I put mine up someone will come out of the woodwork. :) It's going to be me, DH, my mother (mid 70s) and son (12). We're doing the post night in Budapest and considering adding another night. We're flying on miles and our flights are spaced a little further apart than we'd hoped but if I must vacation a little extra time, I guess I'll survive. :joker:

Extension question - Our family has medical issues that mean we should arrive at least 2 days early. We may be able to do some sightseeing in that time, but we may also be camped out in the hotel feeling dreadful. Can ABD supply the name of a local guide we can call *if* we're up to it? I know they can help us with the hotel but will the luggage service still apply?

You can go on the "Cruise Critic" web site and there you can find reviews of cities and tour guides offered. Since Cruise critic covers river boat cruises there are reviews offered. I would believe ABD will handle the transportation as well as luggage. Both Prague and Budapest airports are quite easy to pass through and a short ride to each downtown. Many sightseeing tours are offered from the front desk at the hotel and some will pick you up at the hotel. Prague is one of the easiest cities to tour both in size and ease to find a tour company.

My family is sailing July 28 -Aug 4. We're doing the 3 day extension in Prague on the front end July 26-28. I don't see anyone else on the boards for our dates but maybe if I put mine up someone will come out of the woodwork. :) It's going to be me, DH, my mother (mid 70s) and son (12). We're doing the post night in Budapest and considering adding another night. We're flying on miles and our flights are spaced a little further apart than we'd hoped but if I must vacation a little extra time, I guess I'll survive. :joker:

We are also on the July 28th sailing, so you will not be alone. I am traveling with my husband and 3 kids - including my oldest son who will be 12 when we sail, and family friends who also have an 11 year old son so your son will have some contemporaries. We are coming in early (arriving the 24th) and staying afterwards in Budapest for a couple of nights, but we are doing that time on our own. We just did our first ABD over the holidays, and are very excited for our next adventure.

OK, here it is! The Meets Thread for the new ABD Danube River cruises! Post here to talk & share about this trip.

Let me know if you sign up for one of these cruises, and I'll add you to the Roll Call so you can hopefully connect with other DISers on the same departure.

Roll Call:

Current:
  • Jul 7 - 14, 2016 (DVC cruise)
    • - calypso726 & W@LL-E (DH)
    • - CaliforniaGirl09, DH, DS (18) & DD (15)
    • - JimB & DW
    • - engle, DH, & another couple
    • - jeneric997, DH, DD (16) & DD (12 almost 13)
    • - tatafernow (Mary), Sheila, their 2 girls Haley (21) & Taylor (19), her brother & his wife & her sister & sister's sig other
    • - DVC doc & partner (33), DVC doc's parents & sister (25)
We are on the July 7 cruise. Momgottsche, DH, DS (10) and DS (7). Not used to posting here, so be patient. Looking forward to an amazing adventure!

We are on the July 7 cruise. Momgottsche, DH, DS (10) and DS (7). Not used to posting here, so be patient. Looking forward to an amazing adventure!

Hi :wave: We are on your sailing too. Can't wait for this new exciting adventure to begin!

Please give your feedback when you return from the Danube River cruise as we are planning to go in July 2017. Still waiting for the dates to be released. We have never done ABD before but have done DCL. Our son will be 7 next year for the ABD river cruise... Do you think that is too young? Also deciding whether to take the in-laws who will be 70... They probably wouldn't be able to tour the castles and do the active tours but still feel like they would enjoy the ship/views and shopping and eating in the towns close to the ship. Opinions on that? Also east cruise vs west... Anything I should take into consideration? And room categories... I was just going to go for the cheapest unless you guys know of reasons I should upgrade? I am new to disboards and this is my first post and I just LOVE being able to read the opinions of experienced ABD travelers so any info you can give us newbies to plan and prepare us for next year would be greatly appreciated!!!

Last edited:
Please give your feedback when you return from the Danube River cruise as we are planning to go in July 2017. Still waiting for the dates to be released. We have never done ABD before but have done DCL. Our son will be 7 next year for the ABD river cruise... Do you think that is too young? Also deciding whether to take the in-laws who will be 70... They probably wouldn't be able to tour the castles and do the active tours but still feel like they would enjoy the ship/views and shopping and eating in the towns close to the ship. Opinions on that? Also east cruise vs west... Anything I should take into consideration? And room categories... I was just going to go for the cheapest unless you guys know of reasons I should upgrade? I am new to disboards and this is my first post and I just LOVE being able to read the opinions of experienced ABD travelers so any info you can give us newbies to plan and prepare us for next year would be greatly appreciated!!!

Welcome to the DIS! I am planning to do a day by day trip report for this cruise. We are on the first sailing with ABD which is the DVC exclusive. I will take lots of pictures and answer any questions as long as the wifi gods are in my favor.

Welcome to the DIS! I am planning to do a day by day trip report for this cruise. We are on the first sailing with ABD which is the DVC exclusive. I will take lots of pictures and answer any questions as long as the wifi gods are in my favor.
Thank you so much! I look forward to it!!

We are PIF!!! :banana: For once we decided not to get our usual 5 miles per dollar paying for this trip and we opted to see how much money we could save on it instead. We learned about the Raise/Target/Disney gift card hack on the Budget Board and put it to work. We saved about $1500, and paid it all using the Disney Vacation Savings account which will get us another $200 in Disney gift cards. Which of course will just go right back into the vacation fund :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter