daisy scouts ??

my daughter did Daisy's last year as a kindergartner, this year I decided I would wait until Brownies. She just did not get that much out of it and the troop leader was inexperienced. I am hoping to find her a better, more established troop for next year when they can really get into crafts and other activities.

I was thinking about this last night. I know you said you weren't a scout but I have to admit one of my favorite memories of all time was that as a girl scout I got to do things my mom had done previously.

I couldn't agree more. And the reverse is true as well. When my daughter bridged from Daisy to Brownie they had a special ceremony. As I watched my daughter participate in the ceremony I had a flash of memory that took me back to when I was a Brownie and I did the exact same ceremony. I cried like a baby. I also love dropping her off at sleepover camp or day camp every summer. Just walking through the Girl Scout camp with her makes me feel nostalgic for my own days at camp when I was her age. I love having that shared history with her.

One of the best advantages of scouting IMO is the opportunity to participate in an activity that isn't a single activity, but potentially exposes you to many interests to explore. My younger DD still participates in HS in activities she first tried as a Daisy Scout.

OP, I notice that you said you were looking for a winter activity for your DD. Scouts is a school year activity, occasionally longer depending on the leadership.
ours is only for the school year

my other question is do you have to do the troop at your school or are you free to find your own troop.

my other question is do you have to do the troop at your school or are you free to find your own troop.

I believe you are free to find your own as long as it is in your "district". I went to a troop that met at our community center even though our school also had a troop.

Way back in the day before they had Daisies, I was a scout from 1st to 12th grade. Not many of us hung on through high School, but our troop went to Savannah and WDW one summer and Hawaii the next. I always ended up with really gung-ho leaders so we were camping in second grade, going to out-of-state conferences in 5th grade, and really having a lot of fun. It was probably the best part of my childhood.

If there is another local troop which has space for your daughter and is accepting new girls you are free to go there. Many troops do not even meet at schools.

If there is another local troop which has space for your daughter and is accepting new girls you are free to go there. Many troops do not even meet at schools.
the troop that they have at our school meets for an hour after school. we are going to check out the meeting on Monday and see if it's something she will like.

Well, yes, it was clear in your OP that your school has a troop that meets there, but since you asked about finding another troop I was explaining that not all troops meet at a school. I thought perhaps you were thinking of trying to put your daughter n to the troop that meets at the school you teach at or something.

Personally, unless a child had been at the school before and had established relationships and wants to continue with her old troop when moving to a new school, I probably would not try to start a kid at a school troop at a school that was not their own; they'd be the only person not sharing the school day and would be left out of a lot of natural conversations about school assemblies or whatever making it harder to fir in and make friends.

So, my recommendation, would be to either stick with the school troop at your daughter's school, or find one that meets at a non school location (a church, a community center, etc) and draws girls from multiple places.

Well, yes, it was clear in your OP that your school has a troop that meets there, but since you asked about finding another troop I was explaining that not all troops meet at a school. I thought perhaps you were thinking of trying to put your daughter n to the troop that meets at the school you teach at or something.

Personally, unless a child had been at the school before and had established relationships and wants to continue with her old troop when moving to a new school, I probably would not try to start a kid at a school troop at a school that was not their own; they'd be the only person not sharing the school day and would be left out of a lot of natural conversations about school assemblies or whatever making it harder to fir in and make friends.

So, my recommendation, would be to either stick with the school troop at your daughter's school, or find one that meets at a non school location (a church, a community center, etc) and draws girls from multiple places.
my daughter goes to school where I teach, we only have one elementary school.

my daughter did Daisy's last year as a kindergartner, this year I decided I would wait until Brownies. She just did not get that much out of it and the troop leader was inexperienced. I am hoping to find her a better, more established troop for next year when they can really get into crafts and other activities.

You know, the best way to insure a "good troop" is to lead one yourself. Not being snarky here, I really mean it!

When my oldest was in K-1 she was in a troop. I was not the leader. I was the only working mom in the group and my daughter got left out of a lot of things because of it. I was also left out of much of the communication too. It was very frustrating.

Conveniently enough we moved for 2nd grade, but she still wanted to do Girl Scouts. So I agreed to be troop leader. Most liberating decision ever.

Myself (along with a likeminded ℅ leader) planned when we would meet. When we felt comfortable with camping or trips, how gung-ho (or not!) we would be at cookie sales.

It was so liberating to have convenient meetings, meaningful meetings, not wondering if I got an inexperienced leader or not. The control took much of the stress out of it.

I have 3 daughters. Currently in grades 10,8,6 and I lead their troops. Myself and ℅ leaders through the years have been working moms, single moms, moms of preschoolers, moms of special needs kids. None of us were never "not busy" outside of Girl Scouts. And yet we have managed to keep 3 troops going for the past 6-8 years.

Now our girls are older they practically run the troops for us, lol.

Just something to consider. Being a Girl Scout leader is a volunteer position. You really can't complain if you don't like your leader. But you can step up and do it your way. It's less stress, really!

it is a huge change from being in preschool for four hours a day to being in school all day

I'm not sure I understand. Since you are a teacher, wasn't she in daycare the hours she wasn't at preschool? In all I'd imagine her hours in a structured setting were relatively equivalent to the time she now spends at school.

When I was in Brownies-2nd grade- I went home from school(Catholic-2 blocks away)-changed into my uniform then rode bike to the public school cafeteria (4 blocks away) where our meetings were held.

But Daisies are young and parents have stay around (I am guessing ) for the hour or 1 1/2 hours?
so OP you would have to stay with your other kids & do what?

I say go for it! I think it's a great way for her to meet other girls her age. It's inexpensive and it's low commitment time wise.

I'm not sure I understand. Since you are a teacher, wasn't she in daycare the hours she wasn't at preschool? In all I'd imagine her hours in a structured setting were relatively equivalent to the time she now spends at school.
no she was with my mom

When I was in Brownies-2nd grade- I went home from school(Catholic-2 blocks away)-changed into my uniform then rode bike to the public school cafeteria (4 blocks away) where our meetings were held.

But Daisies are young and parents have stay around (I am guessing ) for the hour or 1 1/2 hours?
so OP you would have to stay with your other kids & do what?
this is why I would like to do it at night, this way my husband can stay with my other two kids while I take my daughter to the meeting. the after school meeting does not work for me since I stay at school till 4:30 to get stuff done. my mom gets the kids on and off the bus for me.

Last edited:
My 1st Troop used to meet Sunday's 3pm. It was perfect. Didn't interfere with homework bedtime dinner or church.

As the leader (working mom) gave me a lot of leeway in planning a meeting. No rushing after work.

One of my other troops meets Friday's 6pm. It works okay because bedtime is less crucial on a non school night.

my daughter goes to school where I teach, we only have one elementary school.
Sorry. I thought I recalled you saying you were at a different school than your kids at one point.

Why were you asking about being allowed to join a troop not at your school?

Edited to add I read further: I have lead 5 Daisies troops and never had parents who stay through meetings after maybe the first 1 or 2. As a leader ,that would be terribly distracting. But I never had to tell anyone that--they all just dropped off, if not the first time, certainly by the second or third. I was surprised to read the post by someone saying parents would stay.

I suppose going back and forth might not work so well depending on how far from school you live, but could you go out for a walk with the older kids, or let them play on the playground,or run to the grocery store, etc?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter