D23 Expo 2015 - Who's in? Roll call!

3rd Expo for me and my friends. Getting excited! Will be at VGC and then PP for the Expo days.

First Expo for us and I have questions galore!!

First, I am a D23 member, but our family of four only wants to go two days. What's the best way to do this? If I use the 4 tickets limit to buy two days for hubby and myself and then buy the general kids tickets, my kids can't get in early with us, right? If I buy each of us a one day ticket at the member prices , then it looks like I have to do another transaction on the D23 Expo site to add a second day at the general price as it loads by attendee and only offers up member credits first. Example, If I try to register myself first, I only have the member credit options and no general admission options.

Second, Is there a better day to use the member admission option?

Third, are the parks crowded at this time of year? We've been in May, July, and October in the past. This is our first August trip.

Thanks,
Kim

You can buy 4 tickets per day, not 4 tickets all together. I am pretty sure about that. You want the gold (or unexpired Silver) member to buy the tickets, to qualify for earlier admittance in the morning.

Parks should be ok the week before, and the weekend of the Expo. They may be crowded the week after, when many local APs become valid again (after being blocked all summer). The Monday after the Expo may be the worst for crowds.

Thanks Pat. I'm gold member and when I log in, it says I have four member ticket available. Are you saying that if I purchase today, tomorrow I can buy another four?

Checking in! I'll be going for the first time this year. I've followed past years' coverage online and always hoped to make a trip out one day to check it out. Very excited!! I'm going out a few days early and spending some time in the parks - also very excited to see some of the special 60th anniversary additions. (Not excited about the crowds though!)

Does anyone know if there will be a DIS meet at all during this time as I believe there had been for the last expo? I'd love to meet up with some DISers and maybe some podcasters!

I'm in! Booked a room at the Red Lion, which I've never stayed at but it looks good -- and I got a really good rate through the D23 website.

Does anyone remember from 2013 when the discount DLR tickets were released and what the rate was? I seem to remember they were only available for purchase at the Expo, but I could be wrong.
Check your confirmation email when you bought your D23 tickets, the link to buy park tickets should be in there.

First Expo, just booked my flight down and hotel. Staying at the Marriott Suites just on Harbour Blvd south of the Convention.

Does anyone know, if I can purchase an upgrade or renew D23 memberships at the Expo?

Didn't see this posted here, so....

The first round of Cast Member credentials just went out and there has been a change regarding line-ups: lines for the first Hall 23 panels of Friday (8/14) and Saturday (8/15) and access to the show floor (i.e., the various stores) will start at 10pm on Thursday (8/13) and Friday (8/14) respectively inside the convention center. The "Things to Know" section of the website has been updated to reflect this.

They have also created a StorePass fast pass of sorts for shopping access to the three main stores between 12pm and 5pm.

https://d23.com/d23-expo/things-to-know/

Is the D23 Hall the arena? They just announced Every Story Is a Journey: The Upcoming Films of Walt Disney and Pixar Animation Studios which is in the hall on Friday at 3pm. This sounds a lot like the big presentation that was on the first day in the previous expo but that was in the arena and we waited outside in line for like 5 hours. If this is the same type presentation I'm sure the demand will be just as much but unfortunately everybody will miss everything else on the first day because they'll be in line for this! Does anybody have any more details on this? TIA!

Hall 23 replaces the Arena, it's a space they are creating to hold 7500 people - much more than the Arena set up. However, with rumors of 40,000 to 50,000 people... Still a small number.

The schedule is still sketchy, the Legends presentation is also Friday but no room or time has been announced.

Didn't see this posted here, so....

The first round of Cast Member credentials just went out and there has been a change regarding line-ups: lines for the first Hall 23 panels of Friday (8/14) and Saturday (8/15) and access to the show floor (i.e., the various stores) will start at 10pm on Thursday (8/13) and Friday (8/14) respectively inside the convention center. The "Things to Know" section of the website has been updated to reflect this.

They have also created a StorePass fast pass of sorts for shopping access to the three main stores between 12pm and 5pm.

https://d23.com/d23-expo/things-to-know/
I have no interest in lining up overnight for the Hall 23 panels. We have been to every D23 Expo in the past but may just skip this one (even though we already bought tickets). It was nice while it lasted. -- Suzanne

so people are allowed to line up on Thursday night for a presentation on Friday at 3pm?

so people are allowed to line up on Thursday night for a presentation on Friday at 3pm?
Although this us the first year op where guest could officially line up indoors the night before, guests have lined up earlier than the official time for all of the Expos. Whether there will be one line for the Animation presentation on Friday morning and a second line for the Kegends ceremony on Friday afternoon is anyone's guess.

And while I have not changed my mind about being willing to spend the night in line, it may not be necessary. The number of guests for these presentations has been increased from about 4000 in 2013 to about 7500 in 2015. Lining up around 6 AM for a morning presentation may be sufficient unless you need to have the very closest seats (we don't). But as other have said, you may have to choose between presentations due to lengthy waits to secure a seat. -- Suzanne

The animation presentation is at 3pm in the afternoon. In the past it's been in the morning so once you got out of that you could go to other presentations and areas of the expo. Now everybody will be in line during the day missing out on everything else and i have a feeling that once they start letting people in the actual area you'll see that everybody in line in front of you was saving a spot for 5 other people. They say year after year you can't do that, but no one ever seems to do anything about it.

No one knows yet what this means for Friday. Yes, Studio Animation is at 3pm in Hall 23...but the schedule is very fluid right now. There most likely be another presentation in Hall 23 - usually there are two or three a day. In 2011, it was the Legends presentation followed by Parks & Resorts in the early afternoon on Friday...2013 was Studio Animation and a Planes screening on Friday then Studio Live Action-Legends-Shermen/Menken concert on Saturday.

The holding area for the overnight line supposedly will not allows parties to hold spots for people: the thought is that they will actually scan badges to prevent line jumping.

As SuzanneSLO said, we don't know what this will all really mean. And? For the last Diamond pin release, the merchandise blog stated no lining up before 6am...they started at 9pm the night before. So don't underestimate anyone.

This will be my first D23 Expo. I'm really excited. I first visited Disneyland in 1992, then on an annual basis since 2011 when I started attending Gallifrey One in L.A. I've booked a room at the Super 8 from Tuesday, August 11 to Monday, August 17 and am hoping to find roommates to make it more affordable. Although it's my first D23 Expo, I have been to numerous other cons such as Dragon*Con, Gallifrey One, Star Wars Celebration, Chicago TARDIS, and various others.

Phil

We are attending the Expo this year, our first time, and we will be there all three days. Trying to figure out our exit strategy tho... for those who have been in previous years, do they have a big event to end the Expo, or if we leave a little early on Sunday will we not miss much? TIA!

Usually Sunday afternoon is the lightest in presentations offered. But, it all depends on your interests. I have friends that are excited for the Sunday afternoon Teen Beach Party 2 Dance Party. Not my thing.

It is actually easier to get into the large presentations than the smaller ones, in a way, because there are so many seats. Not that you can just pop over at the last minute, but it is not that difficult. I usually keep an eye on the lines for things I am interested in, and jump on when it starts to build. (or get a Stage Pass, if possible).

I think Friday will be Legends in Hall D23, then the Animation one in the afternoon. Legends is popular.

Saturday, I am all about the Studios Live Action in the morning, no time announced yet, and Parks and Resorts in the afternoon, both in Hall D23. I think the Live Action one will be a huge draw, with Marvel and Star Wars fans, like me. But they have several other panels and events at the same time, to help spread the crowds out. The Broadway event will be amazing, and I am bummed I will miss it for the others, but that is how it goes. And Pixar has some going on, too.

I thought they might announce a Playmation one for Sunday, similar to last time when they did Infinity. But nothing yet on that.

If someone has never done D23 before and doesn't know much about how it works etc, can someone point me to the best place to do research?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter