Customs Declaration?

ShellyG

Earning My Ears
I am taking some tea bags with me, do I have to declare these on the slip I get on the plane?

What tea is it?

(I'm a first timer, not been ) but I'm just wondering why you couldn't buy it there ?

What tea is it?

(I'm a first timer, not been ) but I'm just wondering why you couldn't buy it there ?

Normal English breakfast tea (tetley).
The tea in Florida is not the same, their "hot Tea" is a normal tea bag but they make it with hot milk and hot (not boiling) water.

Also I don't function very well without a cup in the morning (addict, I know) so will need some on the first morning before we take a trip to Publix. Even then I don't know what tea bags they sell.

I have taken tea in the past and not declared it but anything else even sweets u are supposed to. I have never had to wait for the scanner u literally collect ur bags and walk 5 yards to another area.
Its up to u. They are looking for fruit and meet products and if its ur first trip ask one of the airhostesses. Personally I havent for teabags in the past. This year I am as taking more things.

You should tick yes to the food box. They will ask you what you have got. Sometimes they scan the bags but not others but as it takes less than a minute it's not really an issue.

If you want to drink tea take it with you. Tea bags in the US are expensive - 40 PG Tips are $5!

Well I always have weetabix for my breakfast.

Can't start a day without it. They will sell it over there won't they ?

But I'm thinking about our first morning there? If I can't take food into the country, I'm not sure if we'll buy up for shopping our first evening there after 9 hr flight plus we won't know where we're going.

Any advise great fully received !

I have a simple way of checking:

Does it go in your mouth (in any form)?
Yes

DECLARE IT

It won't take you more than a couple of minutes to go through the red side and pop your bags through an additional scanner. If you get pulled out and randomly checked and they find something, even though they will probably just let you off with a word of caution for your tea bags, it will waste a whole lot more time. If in doubt, declare it.

They will ask when you tick YES what you have brought in. In all likeliness, when you say teabags, they will probably tell you to just proceed anyway.

But I'm thinking about our first morning there? If I can't take food into the country, I'm not sure if we'll buy up for shopping our first evening there after 9 hr flight plus we won't know where we're going.

I would take it - they have a lot of cereals but British cereals are very expensive if you can get them.

You can take most foods in - no meat, fruit, veg or diary products. If it has been processed it usually OK. We always have tea bags, chocolate (for friends out there) and some left over plane snacks such as crisps.

if you declare and you can't take it there won't be any penalty they will just take it off you.

I would take it - they have a lot of cereals but British cereals are very expensive if you can get them.

You can take most foods in - no meat, fruit, veg or diary products. If it has been processed it usually OK. We always have tea bags, chocolate (for friends out there) and some left over plane snacks such as crisps.

if you declare and you can't take it there won't be any penalty they will just take it off you.

Thanks
so we can take some foods !! That's great.
I'll take my Weetabix then in a plastic container so it doesn't get squashed. LOL

Thanks everyone!

Setting off in about an hour :cool1::cool1::wizard::love::hippie:pixiedust::banana::woohoo:

This time tomorrow I will be on the plane!!

A little bit excited.

Weetabix is a regular breakfast cereal, you'll find it in WalMart

Just a word of caution - you aren't supposed to take raisins and other dried fruits with you.

Also, any snacking fruit/veggies you have for the plane will need to be given to the air hostesses before you leave the plane. We've been caught by this in the past.

Another strange one is kinder eggs. You can't take these into the US at all. They are illegal!!!!

??????????????/ WHAT ?????????? for goodness sake why :confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3:confused3

Kinder Eggs are banned under the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938. This Act prohibits the embedding of non-food items completely enclosed inside food items, unless the non-edible part has a functioning value. For example a lollipop stick is not edible but is a useful handle. This Act was originally put into place to prevent the addition of hazardous items to processed food and has never been changed since...

:goodvibes

Kinder Eggs are banned under the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act of 1938. This Act prohibits the embedding of non-food items completely enclosed inside food items, unless the non-edible part has a functioning value. For example a lollipop stick is not edible but is a useful handle. This Act was originally put into place to prevent the addition of hazardous items to processed food and has never been changed since...

Well thank you for that explanation but I think my son Josh would say that the non-food item inside a Kinder Egg i.e. the most important part ..... THE TOY was a very integral functioning part :rotfl::rotfl:

I declared my cereal bars with raisins in last time and had no issues. I am doing the same this time and taking crunchy nut cornflakes crisps and go ahead bars. All of which we use as breakfast or snacks along with frankfurters(dd fav) cinnamon bagels bacon milk and OJ from the shop.

bazzanoid said:

What a load of old tosh!!!!! So silly. Needs changing.

Crazy isn't it! You can own a massive arsenal of weapons with enough ammunition to bring down a small town, but not a kinder egg!

We love taking them on flights - compact and good for a bit of entertainment. The kids are always sad not to find them in their luggage when we fly to the states.

For the OP... declare it. It really isn't worth getting your bags pulled and making a "false" declaration, however, unintentional.

Thanks
so we can take some foods !! That's great.
I'll take my Weetabix then in a plastic container so it doesn't get squashed. LOL

If you intend to take Weetabix, take it in it's original packaging. If you pack it in plastic they have no way of knowing exactly what it is and they're more likely to confiscate it.

Yes declare it but they normally just ask what you have, you say teabags, they raise their eyes, say something about the british and their teabags (with a smile) and wave you through!! :)

Believe me if you like good ol' english tea TAKE IT WITH YOU, the US tea is to say the least disgusting! You can't beat a cup of Yorkshire Tea:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter