Currently trapped on a broken down bus to MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry but I dont understand this line of thinking. Things go wrong and you dont always have to be compensated for it. Are you upset with the bus breaking down....yes but to think you now deserve something is a line of thinking that i just dont understand.

Not a 'deserve something' mindframe, but an 'oh, you guys messed up, maybe you could fix it' mindframe.

I've never heard of that happening.

Luckily, just because not everyone knows something has happened doesn't mean it didn't happen, LOL! We've been offered extra FP plenty of times for issues.

I wonder if people would ask to be compensated by Disney for any delays if it was NOT their fault? Kid pulling the fire alarm, two drivers forgetting how to drive causing an accident on the road in front of a park entrance, etc.

I'm going to walk out on the tiniest shortest flimsiest limb and venture that yes, some people would.

After a day spent in the ER at Celebration, delivered there by ambulance (free from Disney, yay!) I was offered 3 open-ended FP by the front desk CM who checked up on me (twice!) the next morning. It was not Disney's fault I ended up in the ER (infection) but they took the time to care. When I mentioned we had missed all of our FP the day before, he gave us some to replace them.

Yes for villains party. My family left after 2 hrs bc it was so crazy, they did no rides, no character meets. Wdw offered refund or comp 1 day ticket.

I've never heard of that happening.

Disney gives out random FP+ for anything

We were eating at BOG and were in the West Wing Room, and someone came in and started taking flash photos. It made it REALLY bright in there. Someone at a DIFFERENT table flagged down the waiter, and asked for the manager (they were at the table next to us) and told the manager what was happening.

The manager appoligized and offered thema FP+ for the inconvience - the people at the table asked ' what abotu the others in the room? The manager brought everyone one of the FP+ certificates

I am sorry but I dont understand this line of thinking. Things go wrong and you dont always have to be compensated for it. Are you upset with the bus breaking down....yes but to think you now deserve something is a line of thinking that i just dont understand.

Preach. In what world are you entitled to anything due to the bus breaking down...

Preach. In what world are you entitled to anything due to the bus breaking down...

Resort transportation, assumed to be prompt and reliable, is a service that resort guests pay for. When Disney clearly fails to provide it, however infrequently, I think it is reasonable to ask for them to make good in some way. If Disney did not agree, they would not offer unprompted compensation as often as they do. I am no fan of entitlement, but cases such as this are not my definition of it.

I've only been to DW once in 2012 and I'll never forget the time my 6yr old daughter and I were almost to the front of Rocking Roller Coaster and she looked up to me with those "I gotta potty eyes". I quietly just ask the CM where the exit was and explained why. Didn't expect anything. He slipped me several paper fastpass to come right back.

That has always stuck with me cause it wasn't Disney's fault we didn't plan our potty break in time yet they hooked us up. It's moments when you DONT expect magic that makes the magic more enjoyable. I can't imagine being on vacation and constantly trying to see what I could get for my inconveniences. I understand we pay good money for our vacations but if Chevy Chase has taught is anything it's those unexpected hiccups that are part of the experience.

Not ranting. To each their own. I try to laugh things off and go on with my day.

OP here. I never, ever presumed or made an assumption that I was entitled to anything. I reported it on here just as a story to share. Others suggested that we should ask.

Don't apologize for being compensated. You are spending top dollar to stay on Disney property. Disney is customer friendly, and they do try to right any wrongs.

I don’t like that people demand compensation for every little thing at Disney, however, if transportation fails and you miss EMH, you should absolutely get “anytime” fast passes. Last year the monorail from the Contemporary went down and the CMs told us to just wait. It turns out that they were supposed to be directing us to busses to Epcot. By the time they told us to go to the busses it was like all hell broke loose. It was a miscommunication and things happen but we missed our PPO breakfast and our plan to rope drop Soarin’ was shot. A very nice CM gave us a yellow paper that allowed us to get on Soarin’ and she took care of the no show fee we were to be charged at the restaurant. I wouldn’t ask for more than that and it was really lovely that they understood how our morning didn’t go as planned.

So from what I’m reading, pretty soon I won’t have to worry about that magical 60 day time to book fast passes. Disney gives past passes for broke down busses, flash photos, missing an adr etc etc. we were offered anytime FP’s because we miss FOP due to the hurricane. We never asked for a FP. But pretty soon the fast pass line will be longer than the stand by line. Works for me!

Last edited:
You know, sometimes vehicles break down regardless of how well you take care of them. If you were driving a friend to a Broadway show and you car broke down, causing you both to be late for the show, would you owe your friend compensation? Granted Disney is a business, but stuff happens. People expect compensation from Disney when they wouldn’t from any other person or business.

Even more comparable: "If you were taking public transportation* to a Broadway show and it broke down, causing you both to be late for the show, would you expect NYCT to provide or offer you compensation?

*Because, really, public transit is the more reasonable option; driving in NYC is ridiculous

You pay a higher room rate for staying onsite. One of the main perks is access to EMH. Due to Disneys Bus breaking down, they couldn't take advantage of a perk that they should have been able to access. I understand someone wanting some compensation. I don't think 2-3 FP's for the inconvenience is too much to ask for under the circumstances especially give the busy time period and long limes.

You know, sometimes vehicles break down regardless of how well you take care of them. If you were driving a friend to a Broadway show and you car broke down, causing you both to be late for the show, would you owe your friend compensation? Granted Disney is a business, but stuff happens. People expect compensation from Disney when they wouldn’t from any other person or business.

Disney is a business. One of the perks they use to sell the cost of staying on site is EMH as well as 'free' transportation from MCO and everywhere onsite. Due to their transportation failure, guests couldn't access one of the perks that they were paying a significant premium for.

If a friend is driving me to the airport and their car breaks down, I wouldn't expect them to pay for anything or give me something extra. They were doing me a favour. However if I had paid for a town car and the car broke down on the way to the airport, I would expect that they pay for the taxi to get me to the airport on time, or offer me another free town car ride at another time or get me to the airport via another town car or comp that ride. I'm paying for a service and if a business cannot provide what I'am paying for, then I deserve some compensation.

Even more comparable: "If you were taking public transportation* to a Broadway show and it broke down, causing you both to be late for the show, would you expect NYCT to provide or offer you compensation?

*Because, really, public transit is the more reasonable option; driving in NYC is ridiculous

Haha, you're probably right. And I believe that MTA would probably offer nothing, certainly not with a smile. Other than maybe a note. :)

Chances are no one will have to ask. Several times I’ve been in line for a bus and don’t get on it because it’s full and many of those times if a cm has been present they walk down the line of “leftovers” scanning bands and adding FP. It may not be every time but it’s happened to us multiple times at BWVand AKL. When something like that happens people do miss FP and if you ask nicely a cm may just add one on. I don’t think it hurts to ask nicely, especially if you’ve missed one due to a situation beyond your control.

Interesting! Didn't know how it works today. Do many cast members have devices that can interact with MagicBands and cards?

I worked at the Disney Reservation Center and they do call in complaining about their wait at the bus stops or whatever demanding for compensation...
I actually had a lady when I worked in the MK who came and complained about someone pouring something all over her kids stroller and bag, a CM went over got her a brand new mickey umbrella stroller and some clothes for the child and some kind of bag, I worked on three rides and when I moved to another ride I watched her pour coke all over the brand new items and go to another CM for new things.. Its really sad and it will one day stop WDW from being able to make magical moments

My gosh... this brought back so many memories. The number of scams I could go on and on about during my 4 years as a CM. Most guests are awesome, but when you work with thousands of people a day, you realize there are a lot of people who are professional compensation seekers and they hurt the magic of working there. I guess you do the same thing as the guests do and try not to let a bad experience define the day. But boy, the stories I can tell for another time!

We will definitely put both to good use on a crazy busy day like today. And we can tell the “remember when we got stuck on that bus?!” story.

That's awesome! I'm glad that it wasn't too hard and that they did right by you! Enjoy the rest of your trip!

I don't see a problem asking with complimentary FPs for the delay, but the problem would be waiting in a long line at guest services to state your complaint. Sometimes it's just not worth the trouble.

Entitled? No. But it doesn't hurt to ask nicely. I don't get why people think one is acting on an entitlement when one asks for a minor compensation because of a situation. Asking nicely, accepting a no answer, that's all. If you are at home, and your kid drops his toast on the floor, butter side down, is that it? No breakfast for him? How dare he think he can have another piece, since he dropped the first one? Or do you get him another piece?

WDW does give out a lot of extra FP+, and they have a lot of people using the FP queue for the DAS. I've never seen an issue with either one causing extended waits, as the hour span of the FP return time, plus the staggered start times, means guests don't all show up at the same time, and there is a flow to the queue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter