Curious...resort change rules question (and Poly over BC?)

Violet Parr

DIS Veteran
So we are in BC for 3 nights at the GFM rate. Browsing around on the website, I found a Poly studio available for 8 nights at the GFM rate (cheaper than Beach Club by about $300 total) but not for only those 3 nights. (It's 8 nights with the same check in date.)

Now, obviously the room is available for those three nights, but it only shows up if you plug in 8 nights.

My questions is, if I call and ask, would they let me switch to Poly for those three nights? I would call and ask but my hold times have been ridiculous lately. If anyone here knows if they will break up that availability for me, that would be a big help.

Also, do I even want to switch from BC (lagoon/pool view) to a Poly standard studio? I'm torn. I like the cheaper price, but we have stayed Poly before (although not in a studio.) BC would be something new.

Any thoughts/info appreciated!

VP

All you can do is call and ask. No one here can definitively answer that question for you.

The only reason I can think of that they wouldn't rent the room for your nights is if they happen to fall somewhere in the middle of the available 8 nights. Disney really seems to have cracked down on "orphaned" rooms (rooms available for only 1 or 2 nights) lately, and it's easier for them to rent a whole week vs one or two nights.

Only you can decide if you want something new or something familiar. Both are wonderful resorts. BCV has been undergoing a refurb, but I have no idea if it would involve your dates, or if it's even still going on.

Thanks. I was asking here in case someone has tried it recently and could, in fact, definitively answer. My question was for those folks. My hold times have been up to an hour lately and if someone has successfully or unsuccessfully tried this recently, I would be very happy to hear from them.

And yes, only I can decide, but people give their viewpoints here all the time, and I am often swayed by opinions shared here.

VP

Thanks. I was asking here in case someone has tried it recently and could, in fact, definitively answer. My question was for those folks, not for someone who wasn't sure. My hold times have been up to an hour lately and if someone has successfully or unsuccessfully tried this recently, I would be very happy to hear from them.

And geez, yes, only I can decide, but people give their viewpoints here all the time, and I am often swayed by opinions shared here.

VP

Excuse me for attempting to help.

Sorry, before you responded, I edited my post. Sorry I sounded so crabby. I appreciate your help, but I really do want to hear from people who may or may not have tried it. I'm so sick of being on the phone on hold with Disney that I will literally not make an attempt to change my reservation unless I know for sure that they would change it for me. :)

My husband often responds with similar "it's up to you" ways, which I do appreciate, but sometimes I genuinely want concrete opinions. It is up to me and I can't decide, so I want concrete opinions rather than maintaining my freedom to choose myself. :)

VP

And if I know Disboarders, someone on here fiddles with dates online as much as I do and has attempted to make a switch based on inventory they've found through digging. :)

My opinion probably has little value to you based on your criteria for who you want to respond, but if it won't let you book 3 days online there's a very good chance they won't let you if you call. But you never know until you try.

Would need to know more about the number in your party, ages, and time of year to make an educated opinion on BC vs Poly Studio. I like both but for different reasons.

Thanks. I probably shouldn't be making any changes when I'm in a grumpy mood anyway. Sorry I sounded so fussy. I'm way overdue for this vacation, I think. :)

VP

And I should stick with BC anyway. My teen daughter and I are running the half marathon on one of those days (our last at BC, but our Dolphin reservation overlaps our BC one by a day so we can get to sleep and get up by 3 for the race without waking up my two other kids and my husband. Since the starting line is at Epcot, we're probably better off at BC anyway!
VP

And I should stick with BC anyway. My teen daughter and I are running the half marathon on one of those days (our last at BC, but our Dolphin reservation overlaps our BC one by a day so we can get to sleep and get up by 3 for the race without waking up my two other kids and my husband. Since the starting line is at Epcot, we're probably better off at BC anyway!
VP

In case you haven't done RunDisney before, the park isn't open to walk through for the start. You'll be taking a bus to the start in the Epcot parking lot. And you can only walk through Epcot after the finish (assuming you finish at Epcot parking lot as well) if you have a ticket.

In the last year or so I have only seen posts about Disney NOT splitting dates up. They won't even drop nights at the start or end anymore, unless the new chunk of dates is available, and if the price has changed for those new dates you'll get the new price. They've become a LOT less flexible.

Right, we have park tix. I like the idea of walking through Epcot to get back to our room. Riding the monorail to get to the race sounds great, but considering how frequently it is down, I wouldn't want to rely on it for 3 am transport. :)

Riding the Monorail to get to the race is highly unlikely. As already stated, you have to take a bus to the front of Epcot

I would call and ask but my hold times have been ridiculous lately. If anyone here knows if they will break up that availability for me, that would be a big help.

It really depends when you call. Usually late in the afternoon on Saturdays and Sundays is good. Midday today no wait at all.

Interesting. The runDisney website says that "Monorail Transportation will be available starting at 3:00 a.m." It's under the transportation link. It's available for both the half and the marathon, and is also listed as such for the Princess. (But not for Star Wars Dark Side or Wine and Dine.

https://www.rundisney.com/disneyworld-marathon/plan/
The monorail is usually running for runners trying to get to the start if they are staying at the MK resorts, but for limited times. If you aren't on the monorail by 4:30AM (or something like that), you'll miss it if the race starts at 5:30AM. You still have to switch to the Epcot monorail from the MK monorail though. This past January we stayed at the GF and my son took the monorail to Epcot before the start of the full marathon.

Now if you are staying at BC, the monorail won't do you any good. But if you are at the Polynesian, it will.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter