Cure for sore throat?

llebrekniT

I did know once, only I've forgotten
My throat is sore. This happens to me every fall, my sinuses drain and it irritates my throat. I need a good cure. The best one I've used is regular aspirin, but it takes a while.

Please DON'T tell my to gargle! My mom made me do that when I was little. I'm a grown-up now and I don't want to gargle so I'm not going to gargle. There must be another way. I hate Chloroseptic too, so please don't suggest that. I don't want to have that numb feeling in my mouth.

If anyone knows of a good remedy, please send it my way! Thanks:wave:

Hmm...if you don't want anything to deaden the pain like Chloraseptic or gargling, the next best thing would be some kind of soothing lubricant so that whatever you swallow goes down easier.

I've had the exact same problem for 35 years and would love to hear some suggestions. Usually I take an antihistamine but since the sore throat can last for a few months, taking that many antihistamines tends to make my heart race and so I end up suffering with the sore throat instead.

Currently, I gargle ( ya the g word) with a grapefruit extract called Citracidel (or Agrasept) and it does help somewhat.

I work in an Emergency Department, but I am not medical personnel. One of the doctors reccomended taking childrens liquid tylenol, as it soothes, and provides the tylenol component. Warning, its gross, thick and gooey, plus you have to take a lot. But it worked for me.

I had a Dr. once tell me Honey was a natural sore throat remedy! It won't work though if it's something more serious obviously.

Hope you feel better,
Lisa

Oregano Oil. Works like a charm. Put a few drops on your tongue and swish some water in your mouth. You can get it at a health food store. :)

I have the same problem. I try to stay ahead of it, but 2-3 times a year I seem to get sick with it for a day or so. I take antihistamine. Claritin or one of the generics. When the drainage is really bad, sometimes I have to take a little more than the amount listed on the directions(that is per my Dr.--check with yours before following suit). As for the pain, aspirin and warm beverages (coffee, tea, even soup) seem to soothe the throat.

BTW- GARGLING SUCKS! I'd rather be sick. Worst gargle of all time(from when I was a kid and mom made me): saltwater with vinegar.

Is that what causes a chronic sore throat? I don't think I have sinus problems, but I seem to get a persistant scratchy throat 3-4 times a year. Very annoying!! Once in a while I will feel something draining/sliding down the back of my throat, but antihistamines don't help.

Anything else that can cause a persistant sore throat?

I have a persistent sore throat, my doctor told me it was lack of vitamins and it's true I don't take my vitamins like I should.

Anyway, when I get a sore throat, I drink tea with lots of honey and lemon. It really does the trick:D

Build your immune system up with Ester-C.(that's just vitamin C with no acid). Works wonders for me all winter long. Since your throat is already sore try hot tea. It's very soothing.:D

I make a tea with honey, ginger, licorice root, eucalyptus, and cinnamon.
It tastes nasty, but it works.

I make warm lemonade (with real lemon juice) with honey or warm echinacea tea with honey. Hope you feel better soon.

I just wanted to second warm lemonade. It's better than it sounds, and feels GREAT on a sore throat.

Squeeze lemon juice into hot water. No sugar or honey. Drink a couple of them.
I didn't believe it until it heals my soar throat. :)

3 tablespoon's of apple cider vinegar about half a cup of HOT water and a tablespoon of honey, It will soothe a sore throat and help to break up any congestion. If it is bad then up the apple cider vinegar. You can also try Mullein Leave's it is in health food store's or Vitamin shop's it really work's!! Good Luck I am suffering with it right now:(

When the air gets cooler and our furnaces turn on, the air inside our homes gets very dry. I use a humidifier whenever I sleep when it's cold outside. Before I discovered humidifiers, I spent entire autumns and winters with a very sore throat. Give it a try if all else fails. It has worked wonders for me.

My favorite are the Harvest Cherry cough drops from (I think?) Herbal Remedies. They always make my throat feel so much better, and they are yummy!

Also, if you have a natural foods store nearby, get some Slippery Elm throat losenges. They coat your throat, they're awesome! A lot of singers use them.

Throat Coat tea. It came be found in the natural foods section of many grocery stores and in the health care section of Walmart usually.

Aftershock. It is a cinnimon flavored liquor. Burns your throat so bad you can't feel anything anymore.

But seriously, honey seems to work temporarily.

My mom always tells me to gargle warm saltwater, but since you're not into that whole thing, I'd suggest boiling a piece of ginger root in water for a few minutes, and drinking the "ginger tea." It kinda tastes icky, but it really does work.

Also, if you're going to do the hot lemonade thing, my cousin (who's a doctor) told me that you should use warm to room temp water, because hot water will essentially "kill" most of the healing properties in the lemon juice.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter