Cruising with a motion sickness prone child?

I would also recommend consulting your pediatrician and also consider the many other types of vacations that would be easier for a child prone to motion-sickness.

Thank you for your thoughts and lest you think I am dragging my miserable motion sick child on a ship, she has been begging to go on a Disney cruise for years now. Thank you all for your advice.

I get motion sickness very easily and medication seems to make me feel worse. I have had great success using a combination of ginger capsules and sea bands. I take a capsule the morning of embarkation, then put on the bands before boarding. On the dream, the first night is often very rough because they are going through very strong ocean currents on their way to the Bahamas. After the second day I can usually stop taking the ginger and just wear one band. On my first cruise I took both bands off at bedtime the first night and woke up feeling sick about an hour later. After replacing the bands it went away. From that experience I know they make a difference and I now sleep with at least one. I've also heard good things about motion eaze and plan to get that as a back up for my next trip. On my last dream trip the first night was terrible and a couple said they used it and it worked quickly. I had forgotten to take the ginger, and it takes a little longer than 5 minutes to help.

Thank you for your thoughts and lest you think I am dragging my miserable motion sick child on a ship, she has been begging to go on a Disney cruise for years now. Thank you all for your advice.

I hope you find the right treatment plan to make her dream a (sickness-free) reality!

A related question: My daughter (age 19) gets "motion sickness" but not from bouncing around but from constant subtle movements, like the vibrations from being in a car or plane. Are there similar vibrations on the boat? I'm considering getting her seabands just in case, but don't plan on opening them unless we actually need them.

Bruiserknits there are vibrations when the ship is docking and leaving port. Other than that there is rocking if going through rough waters.

Our doctor gave us a prescription strength for motion sickness and it was taken at night because of the drowsiness so the kiddo got a good night sleep and was good to go in the morning with no motion sickness throughout the trip.

Thanks! She can spin all day on teacup, has no problem with any rollercoaster or simulator (in fact loves them), but something about vibrations of a car or airplane set her off. Hopefully she will be ok on the ship.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter