Cruising in 2 weeks and need a good book!

Johnna_Story

Disney Cruise (and Starbucks!) Addict
Just looking for some recommendations of a good cruise read. I'd love to find something not too serious but not total fluff either. And nothing that would make me want to jump overboard (so no Jodi Picoult!). :goodvibes

Any recommendations are appreciated!!

Just looking for some recommendations of a good cruise read. I'd love to find something not too serious but not total fluff either. And nothing that would make me want to jump overboard (so no Jodi Picoult!). :goodvibes

I LOVE to read. But I love Jodi Picoult also, so I'm not sure if my preferences will fit your taste.

How about:
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows **loved this! It's about World War II and it's written in letters. **
The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski
The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Loving Frank by Nancy Horan
American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld

If you like chick-lit, Emily Giffin's books are good. Start with Something Borrowed. The follow-up is Something Blue.

Q&A by Vikas Shwarup is the novel upon which the movie Slumdog Millionaire is based. GREAT book, although the original book is different than the movie. (The movie is fantastic also.)

Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella (and the other shopaholic books) is a really fun read, but the movie comes out this weekend.

Hope that gives you something to go on!

If you'd like, please check out my book. It takes place in Port Canaveral and one of the chapters is set at Disney World.

A Sword for Pizarro

“Combines the maritime adventure of Clive Cussler, the breezy escapism of Jimmy Buffett, and the witty mystery of Robert B. Parker…”
- Lost Treasure Magazine

“This is a true thriller, like recovering gold from the bottom of the ocean.”
- Bob “Frogfoot” Weller, author of 9 books on Sunken Treasure

“..I’m having a hard time putting it down to go to training!”
- Scott D. Altman, NASA Astronaut

If you like mysteries, any of the Mary Higgins Clark books are great! My favorites are "Loves Music, Loves to dance," "You Belong to Me," "Before I Say Goodbye," "We'll Meet Again," "Where are You Now," and "My Gal Sunday" (A series of 4 short stories). But really, any of hers are good.

I can help if you like historical romances.

I love Virginia Henley - but she can be a bit "descriptive" if you know what I mean :goodvibes

Julia Quinn and Stephanie Laurens both write a series of books about a particular family. You don't have to start with the first one though.
The Quinn ones can be amusing as well especially the second one.

Quinn - 1st - Duke and I
2nd - Viscount Who Loved Me

Laurens - 1 st - Devil's Bride

Henley - Seduced is one of my favorites

Julie Garwood also has some great historicals

A contemporary:
Always the Bridesmaid by Whitney Lyles - this was really a good fun read.

Of course, as a librarian, I must say you can always ask for good titles at your local library :-)rolleyes1 shameless plug I know)

I loved the book "Redeeming Love" by Francine Rivers. This is a Christian Romance novel, but I thought it was amazing. I read this on my last cruise and didn't want it to end. I love her books.

My favorite book is perfect for a seven day cruise - Lord of the Rings.

For a three or four day cruise, the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

I have been reading the "Twilight" series by Stephanie Meyer. I haven't been able to put them down and am on book 4.

Have you read the Sophie Kinsella books? Ok they are a bit fluff, but a fun read - I love them. The latest one 'Remember Me' is a great book. Her books are really funny.

For vacation reading, I love fluff books. Especially books by Janet Evanovich.

I am 40+ and I decided to see what the fuss was about the Twilight Series was about (before the movie was being talked about) and even though it was suggested to me by a teenager, it was fast reading and kept my interest going. I passed on my books to my SIL and she read the first 2 books in days! Granted she got nothing done around the house :laundy: but that is how good it is.
I also have read all of the Stephanie Plum books (Janey Evanovich) and the Woman's Murder Club series (James Patterson).
Enjoy!
Sue

I have been reading the "Twilight" series by Stephanie Meyer. I haven't been able to put them down and am on book 4.

I finally read the first book, I finished it in a day and a half. Oh my! I can't wait to go get the second one!

Along the lines of the Twilight books, Stephenie Meyer's book "The Host" was the one I read on my last cruise. Good enough to keep me interested, but I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything if I put it down for awhile to do "ship" things! ;)

I love "And only to Deceive" by Tasha Alexander. There are actually 3 books that go together and they are really hard to put down. Check out info on TashaAlexander.com or find them at Amazon or BN

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter