Cruising in 2 weeks and need a good book!

I put my vote in also for the Sophie Kinsella "shopaholics" series of books...so funny and you don't have to read it all at once.

Also love Anita Shreve...The Pilot's Wife is a good read, as are any of her other books.

Have fun!!

For cruises I like to take:
Garden Spells & Sugar Queen by Sarah Allen Addison,
anything by Janet Evanovich (in order),
anything by Robert Crais (best read in order),
Robert Parker Jesse Stone Series (in order) or Sunny Randall Series (in order), The 13th tale,
Harry Potter Series,
The House on Tradd Street by Karen White (awesome book),
anything by L.J. Smith (especially Secret Circle and Night World series),
... I don't like too much fluff.
I read a lot (EVERYDAY) :goodvibes

Currently reading Sharon Kay Penman Devil's Brood - her latest in her set about King Henry II and Eleanor of Aquitaine.

MY favorite vacation books are P.G. Wodehouse - Jeeves and Wooster make me laugh, or old fashioned english mysteries like Dorothy Sayers or Agatha Christie, etc.

Of course having said that I pack LOTS of books and rarely get to them because I'm SO busy. :rotfl:

I have been reading the "Twilight" series by Stephanie Meyer. I haven't been able to put them down and am on book 4.

I read the first book on my DCL cruise back in November then read the rest when I got back. I couldn't put them down...they are GREAT!!!:thumbsup2

I'm a big fan of Jane Green. She is a British author. The books (and there are a lot of them) are a good beach read. You can pick up her books at Target or Barnes and Noble..

The Sophie Kinsella books (author of Shopaholic) are a great read also. She also writes under the name of Madeline Wickham. My current favorites of her are "Remember Me?" and "Can You Keep a Secret?".

I agree with another poster, Mary Higgins Clark is great I have all of her books and love them. Also a HUGE fan of Nicholas Sparks started reading his latest thinking I would bring it on board with me but I have almost finished it "the Lucky One" its a great book.

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger......It will be out in a movie this year (Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams).

I try the local library and look under the new books section to see what they have. A new book = $ drink of the day :)

have fun! (If you like tom clancy/robert ludlum type books recommend Vince Flynn books !)

Meh, I would say a negative on the Twilight books myself.

They are a pretty easy read. They are along the lines of Harry Potter, but clearly not as well written. HP is much more deep to Twilight's fluff.

I have only read the first 2 in the Twilight series, and I am not sure if I am going to continue. Not to sound like a brat, but if you are like me, and the story turns out differently than you hope it to, it just puts you in a bad mood.

Seriously, after New Moon, I was in a sour mood for like a week. I may finish the series just to be done with it, but since I have an idea how it will end up, and I do not like it, I am just not sure it is worth it.

Are you joking me? Aren't you going on the podcast cruise? So you are cruising in 2 weeks and then in May too? Are you TRYING to make me jealous? :goodvibes So spill it, is this one a Disney cruise too?

As for books, any Mary Higgins Clark is good, Patricia Cornwell also, but my personal fav is the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon - nothing at all to do with cruising but if you don't fall in love with Jamie and Claire when it is done, there is something wrong with you. :) Looking forward to the podcast cruise (where there will be NO time for reading, I'm sure!)

If you like Sophie Kinsella, I would also recommend Marian Keyes. I find her just a little bit less "light" and even funnier. For something a bit heavier, I like Philippa Gregory - "The Other Bolyn Girl" or "The Virgin's Lover"...I'm also working my way through the Shack but it is not what you would call a light read.

Have fun! :)

Beth :hippie:

Anything by Philipa Gregory, I started with the Other Boleyn a few years ago. They are follow the historical plot line with fiction woven in. Easy to read and easy to get into.

Sophie Kinsella or Jane are great Fluff authors that aren't cheesy romance novels. I would also recommend the Twilight series. My favorites of all time are Mermaid Chair and Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd

I too have to go with the Twilight series.

My 16yo dd got me interested and I've read all 4 of them at least twice. I've also read all the HP books and love both series. But you know HP is ending:headache:, and the Twilight series could go on and on:goodvibes.
Just my opinion......

DD is counting the days until the movie comes out and then she can watch "Edward" whenever she wants too.

Phyllis

Angry Housewives eating Bon Bons Sounds silly but it is a great light read! I'm anxious to read the Twillight Series and I also love Janet Evanovich for a light read.

Best book I have ever read and I read a lot!:thumbsup2 The problem with this book on a cruise though is that you won't want to put it down. The fourth in this series came out the day before DH and I went to Barbados a number of years ago. Guess what happened? Yup, I read the whole book while on vacation on a beautiful island.:lmao: :lmao:

I just started reading "Twilight" last night and love it. The only reason I am cruising the boards right now is because I am too lazy to go upstairs and get the book.

just don't read Skinny Dip by Carl Hiassen...I loved the book but it was about a husband that throws his wife overboard while on a cruise...I was a little nervous walking on deck at nite with hubby...LOL

Have you read the Sophie Kinsella books? Ok they are a bit fluff, but a fun read - I love them. The latest one 'Remember Me' is a great book. Her books are really funny.

Just finished listening to Shopaholic & Baby. I agree - fluffy but fun.

Hands down - Terry Pratchett. The Discworld books. Technically, it's science fiction but it's more of the fantasy genre. This author's work is intelligent and hilarious. Dh and I listen to his books more than read them. My favorites, so far, are Going Postal, Moving Pictures, and Making Money. Dh's favorites, when I asked him, are "any of them". LOL.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter