Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're very new to cruising - taking our cirst cruise on DCL last October (3 night Bahamas). We enjoyed it so much that we're scheduled a 7 night Eastern Caribbean in April, 2014. Interestingly, MOST of the secrets that I have learned so far, I still didn't know about after we disembarked. It was not until I found the DISboards forum that I come to know of many of these tidbits:

I didn't know:
- that room service was available without extra charge (except gratuity)
- that you could eat breakfast and lunch in main dining rooms (MDR) without making any reservations - we always just assumed those meals had to be at the on-deck buffet!
- that you could bring pillow cases, plates, etc., along with markers, to guest services when you get on the ship and have the characters sign them
- about Fish Extenders (FE) - they sound like so much fun! We're already planning our homemade gifts!
- about door decorating and that there are wonderful, talented designers (DISigners) on DISboards that will make name-fills, signs, luggage tags, etc. for travelers for FREE

Yup - I'm a cruise newbie and I'm a little embarassed that I didn't learn about these things earlier on....thanks for all the wonderful tips!

On the other hand, I bet you had a really good time doing the things you did do. You can't possibly do it all. I was on DIS before my first cruise and I was kind of going nuts with trying to figure out how to do everything. I decided I'd planned enough and just stopped worrying about it all. My daughter, a big Disney nut, didn't read much about the cruise at all and loved just being surprised as thing unfolded.

I do think DCL should have a newbie 'class' or handout to explain a few basics like going to GS if you need something or help, explain about the meals, explain about the muster drills.

Nancy

Thanks, PoohJen for the info about the other thread, and to everyone who explained about the FE's - that sounds like fun! We aren't first time cruisers, but this is our 1st DCL cruise. Soooo excited about it!

Those tips were both good ones in the past, but DCL has asked guests not to bring over the door hangers an more and they have been cracking down on rolling coolers. Even empty ones. :( Good thing this thread is here, though. I've heard some interesting alternatives to both, here and in other threads!

Thanks, that's really helpful to know. Too bad about the shoe holders. They were infinitely helpful - we even keep one now on our laundry room door at home for all the "little" things you like to grab n go.

I was reading one of my past trip reports tonight, where I was reminded on at least one cruise, the porter took our cooler with our luggage.

why are they disallowing the coolers? are they still allowing you to bring your own water, beer, etc.? If not, it wouldn't really impact us, as we're not big drinkers, but it was a nice perk.

Man, you don't cruise for two whole years and everything changes.... :rolleyes1;)

Thanks, that's really helpful to know. Too bad about the shoe holders. They were infinitely helpful - we even keep one now on our laundry room door at home for all the "little" things you like to grab n go.

I was reading one of my past trip reports tonight, where I was reminded on at least one cruise, the porter took our cooler with our luggage.

why are they disallowing the coolers? are they still allowing you to bring your own water, beer, etc.? If not, it wouldn't really impact us, as we're not big drinkers, but it was a nice perk.

Man, you don't cruise for two whole years and everything changes.... :rolleyes1;)

The reason for the cooler thing was put forth as many of the privately owned coolers were leaking and causing water damage to the carpets/furniture in the rooms. As well as the numbers of people who were bringing said coolers poolside and to the beach at CC and serving alcoholic drinks out of them, which is a no-no. One note here, the "no coolers" restriction has been the policy for quite a while, but only been enforced since last Oct or so.

Yes, you may still bring onboard whatever (and how ever much) beverages as you wish (alcoholic, water, sodas, whatever), you just must bring in onboard in your carry on bags, not checked.

Oh, another thing, there are hooks on the walls (as well as the back of the bathroom doors) that the hanging organizers can be put on, you just need to figure out what kind of hanger you want to put on yours to use the hooks and not over the door.

Oh, another thing, there are hooks on the walls (as well as the back of the bathroom doors) that the hanging organizers can be put on, you just need to figure out what kind of hanger you want to put on yours to use the hooks and not over the door.

We also have a smaller organizer that hangs on a string, not hooks, so maybe that would work on the wall hooks you mentioned. :confused3

where is the best place to get those?

Maybe the luggage/travel section of Target or other store would be a good place to look. We use the roll up bag for toiletries the came with our suitcases. It has one hook so we use it on one of the wall pegs in the room.

where is the best place to get those?

Mine is a shoe holder, for about 8 pairs of shoes (each shoe has its own pockets). It is of a light, nylon fabric. I'm sure I got it on the cheap at Walmart. It has a thick string (thin rope?) at the top for hanging, which means it doesn't hang as sturdily at an "over the door" shoe holder that has 6 hooks at the top to hang over your door.

Also, the pockets are not clear (like on my hook one), but that's not a big deal.

I'll bring it, b/c they sure are handy, but I'm not sure it will be helpful if there are not two cabin hooks to keep it from swinging side to side (i.e., hanging on one hook won't keep it sturdy).

Does anyone have secrets to share about any of the Caribbean Islands like
St. Marrten and St. Thomas??
What are the best scenic places to tour on these islands with tweens?? (Not nude beaches!!!)
What tours will give you the best pictures for being a first time visitor to these islands??
What's the best tour on Castaway Cay??
Is there buses or cars to take you around the islands?? If so does anyone know how much it costs??
And What is the best thing to do on a 7 night cruise? is there any hidden Mickey's to find? What about secret passages?? We are first time cruisers on the DCL Fantasy and we are on deck 8. Where's the best place to sit or stand for the fireworks and do they have a area for the handicap when this comes around.
What about the picture cd on the Fantasy anyone know the price?

How do you join the cruise meet thread?? How do you get started?

At the top of the main "Disney Cruise Line Forum" (the page where you found this thread), there is a thread for "Cruise Meets", just above "Trip Reports". On the cruise meets thread, there is a thread listing links to all the cruise meets threads by date/ship. Just locate your sailing, go to the link and post an introduction to your fellow cruisers!

If there is no meets thread established yet for your date, you can start your own on that page. But you should be committed to sticking it through to your cruise date, as sometimes the original poster will update the front page with lists of posters, fish extender info, etc.

Have fun!:cool1:

How do you join the cruise meet thread?? How do you get started?

You just do a search for your cruise and announce yourself and subscribe. The organizer will add you to the list.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

how can I add to the special special occasions that we are cebrating on our cruise to the FE list that we are on? or is it too late

I know that the DCL Fantasy also has the towel animal classes. I hear they are a lot of fun. What type of animals do you make? What is the charge for the class?
I also heard that if you talk to the steward that does your room sometimes they will get copies for you for the towel animals. Is this true?
I would prefer to take the class. But I guess there is a book you can buy also. Is that true?

A123

Where can you buy the Disney door magnets for the cruise?
Also does anyone know what the Disney Fantasy does for Birthdays or Anniversaries at dinner???

A123

Where can you buy the Disney door magnets for the cruise?
Also does anyone know what the Disney Fantasy does for Birthdays or Anniversaries at dinner??? A123

Door Magnets - don't know where you can buys, but perhaps this might help you: there are several good hearted people on the DIS who will make you a design ("disign") for free. Then you can print it out either on special magnetic paper or - what I do - prin it on regular paper, then (with or without laminating), cut up some thin magnetic strips (from the dollar store, or just use old refridgerator magnets) and glue them onto the back of your sign. Voila! A fun project, not difficult.

I've sailed on Magic, Wonder and Dream - they always present a small cake to the honoree on the occasions you mentioned.

I know that the DCL Fantasy also has the towel animal classes. I hear they are a lot of fun. What type of animals do you make? What is the charge for the class?
I also heard that if you talk to the steward that does your room sometimes they will get copies for you for the towel animals. Is this true?
I would prefer to take the class. But I guess there is a book you can buy also. Is that true?

A123

The class was free when I took it. It was a couple years ago, so I don't really remember what animals we made (there were several, one was a monkey). The cast member who taught ours was a lot of fun. I think there was a book in the shops that you could buy. At the class, they gave us a photocopied sheet with instructions for the ones we did in class, plus a few others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter