1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Cruise secrets that DCL doesn't tell you

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by misseulalie, Mar 7, 2007.

1. okstategrads

okstategrads Earning My Ears

Are frozen drinks without alcohol free on the cruise? What about Shirley Temples?

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. allears

allears "If I were not upon the sea..." I'd want to be!

Frozen drinks are not free, but you can get a shirley temple at the main dining rooms at no charge.

4. AudreyKThompson

AudreyKThompson Disney Diva

No . . . It was a big and unpleasant surprise to me that ANYTHING at the bar has a charge.
    I had assumed "there is a charge for drinks from the bar" meant alcohol and that virgin versions would be free. (well, included in cruise fare- certainly NOT free)

NO- ANYTHING at the bar (even stuff that's free elsewhere- soft drinks, smoothies, drinks both "leaded" and "unleaded"-) incurs a charge with automatic 15% gratuity.

5. DznyCrzy11

DznyCrzy11 "When you wish upon a star, makes no difference wh

Interesting thread!!! I will eventually get through all the pages, lol. Taking a cruise on Dream 9/1 - 9/5.

Sent from my GalaxyS II

6. allears

allears "If I were not upon the sea..." I'd want to be!

Yep, always has been. They used to have a soda mug program like at the parks until they put the drink station in. From what I've read, Disney is one of the few that does have such a station and doesn't require a mug program for free soda.

Just an addition note, smoothies at dinner are also extra.

7. KaryCam

KaryCam DIS Veteran

My drink of choice in the dining rooms is sprite with grenadine. Which is almost like a Shirley Temple. No cost at all.

8. ekatiel

ekatiel DIS Veteran

Just back from our first DCL cruise, and I'm not sure anyone's mentioned the "Farewell" on the last night of the cruise. Ours was at 10pm. Many of the characters come down the stairs into the main atrium area. They are available to take pictures and sign autographs (even some characters from the shows). WAY less of a line than usual for many of them. Most were on deck three (Magic), a few were on deck four. They stay out for about 15 minutes and then say a special good bye from the stairwell. I think the best place to be was on deck three (on the Magic) to see all the action. We were on deck four and had a good view, but missed out on a little bit of the "magic". --Katie

9. chudson98

chudson98 Mouseketeer

Last time we cruised we picked up 10 different flavors of Pringles Potato Chips and dropped them off at the Kid's Club the last night! The CM's were so excited. Apparently they don't get a lot of salty treats. :thumbsup2
    [​IMG]

10. kjduncan

kjduncan Mouseketeer

Love the idea about Pringles!!! I'm writing that one down. :thumbsup2

11. k3chantal

k3chantal DIS Veteran

This is awesome! I was seriously disappointed that I didn't need my passport when we went on land because it was a lot of money and time to get the passports to not have any 'proof' you visited.

12. IlliniAmy

IlliniAmy Smarter than I look ;)

About the passports...when we did the Med cruise in July 2011 I tried this and they said they don't do it. I don't remember the reason, but it may vary by port. I did get it done on Castaway Cay a long time ago, but in Europe they told us to take the passports with us.

Moral of the story: don't be disappointed if they won't do it :)

13. minnie1012

minnie1012 DIS Veteran

I was on the NY to FL/Bahamas last year and was told the same thing.

14. pequele

pequele Some people think they are cool because they can h

thanks, I have been wanting to get it. I use their book for the parks. Just last Friday I ran into B&N to pick one up and there was only their honeymoon book I believe it was! Booooo. Was wondering though if it had to do with it being a new year, possibly new publications?

15. susanv

susanv Mouseketeer

The new Passporter comes out at the end of March (March 26th I think). Our store was out of the 2012 as well, but you can still order it. I can understand them not wanting to stock it this close to the release of the new one.

16. pequele

Thanks for the confirmation. Is that for all of them or just the 2013 for the parks? I swear the 2012 was out earlier because we went in Feb with it. Is the DCL one updated every year do you know?

17. susanv

susanv Mouseketeer

Actually that's the date for the Passporter's Cruise Line book, although the Park one is also not released yet either. Unsure if the DCL one is updated every year, however they have had separate editions for 2011,2012 and soon 2013 so my guess would be yes. Hopefully someone who is more in the know can be of further assistance.

18. pequele

Thanks, I did peek at Amazon after I asked and saw what you were talking about. But do you know (or anyone of course) know why there was a DCL Passporter that looks like it was released in late Nov 12 and now this one in March? Weird don't you think?

19. tessa67

tessa67 Mouseketeer

It must be a YMMV thing, they did stamp them for the Panama Canal crossing in December.

20. neg58

neg58 DIS Veteran

At all the Ports? Cartagena? Cabo? I really want them all.

Nancy

21. dznystar

dznystar DIS Veteran

Whew! Just read through 87 pages of posts!!! Took so many notes. Thanks to all the posters. :cheer2: